General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIxB
What Start button malfunctions?
They have not occurred yet. That was my nabedamus prediction.

Page three of this article highlights some of the push button's faults.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...9751843&page=3

I realize that if you know what your doing, things will be fine, but to the average driver, push buttons are very new and dealing with them in all situations is not really second nature yet.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinC
Not to stray too far off of the original topic, but here's a very interesting piece at TTAC about the Toyota gas pedal debacle and black boxes.. very interesting read.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wha...s-black-boxes/
There you go... Looks like it is mandatory after 9/1/12.

I like the first commenters post about how more sensors are needed to tell where the brake pedal is otherwise it could only read if it is on or off. I don't think he fully gets electronic throttle and braking systems. In order for them to even function it has to know exactly where the pedal is. It's a simple concept called variable speed.

As for comfort packages and how they go with key fobs. I don't think they are going anywhere. I actually see the technology becoming more widespread. I think most cars down the road will have this as a feature. This will be even more true as cars become more plugged into the grid which is beginning to develop. The larger key fob is the perfect memory storage tool. You can then add that as a feature to store all sorts of personal settings that you like in a car. Come up with a standard and then you can take those with you from car to car no matter who builds it.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
markusw
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mordecai
... I took the thing and hid it somewhere in her purse. She always has her purse with her. All she has to do now is get in the car and it starts. SHE NEVER LOSES THE KEY. I can't say the same for the mini van tho :-/
I actually attached her key to an interior zipper in her purse. She thought the key fob was too big to attach with her other keys.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 AM
teichman317
Neutral
Key Fob battery cover

I have a 2008 mini S. I dropped the key fob and the battery and battery cover are now lost. I checked with the local dealer and they say I have to buy the whole thing, about $200.

Does anyone know of a third party vendor that might make battery covers for these key fobs?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by teichman317
I have a 2008 mini S. I dropped the key fob and the battery and battery cover are now lost. I checked with the local dealer and they say I have to buy the whole thing, about $200.
Have you tried searching ebay for a key fob? You'll have to ask the seller if the key is a comfort access key (ie removable battery cover) and if it is. Order it and use the battery cover on yours. It is still an expensive route ($45-$60), but cheaper then the dealer. Here are two I found, one and two. But remember to ask the seller about the battery cover before ordering.

A cheaper route might be to call all your local junk yards. This would require a whole lot of effort, but will definitely save you some money.

Last suggestion is to attempt to make you own or find locally available items to secure a battery into the back of your remote. It won't look stock, but at least you'll be able to use it.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM
teichman317
Neutral
battery cover

Markusw

Thanks for the tips. I will check ebay.

Its a very simple part but might be hard to fabricate at home. The injection molded parts have lots of curves and bends

Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nabeshin
It is honestly a fad of the early 21st century. By 2020, they would have already stopped using them. During the 2010's, numerous incidents with push button start/stop malfunctioning - some cases deadly - will cause consumers to loose all faith in the technology and it will be phased out.
April 19, 2011 the central MINI computer will become self-aware and unleash an army of Coopers in all-out war against humanity. If only we'd required them to have keys to be started!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
jtbrown
3rd Gear
Another advantage of the fob... it eliminates the inevitable key scratches that end up around the lock port of a keyed door lock.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Peanut61
Banned
have you priced a replacement key? $400 +

Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The key fob is a scale model of Star Trek's Enterprise which you must dock to activate the Flash Gordon controls in the center console. It wakes up the child in you so you can drive your MINI properly.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
The key fob is a scale model of Star Trek's Enterprise which you must dock to activate the Flash Gordon controls in the center console. It wakes up the child in you so you can drive your MINI properly.
Best reply ever... You sir/ma'am win the internet

Old 03-08-2015, 07:25 AM
thefonz
Neutral
start it up

No one here loves the feeling of turning a key and starting the car? Pushing a button does not have the same feel. I thought mini of all cars would have stayed with a traditional ignition. It's disappointing.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thefonz
No one here loves the feeling of turning a key and starting the car? Pushing a button does not have the same feel. I thought mini of all cars would have stayed with a traditional ignition. It's disappointing.
It is what it is - that's where all upscale car manufacturers have been going for years.

I have all 3 ignition types: turn key ignition, push-in key fob (MINI), and comfort access (BMW). I prefer the old fashioned key turn, but do like the ability to unlock the trunk with my foot in the bimmer. Push-in key fob is neither here, nor there.

The only downside to comfort access (CA) is the size of the key (huge), and that you will end up loosing it as you no longer have a physical connection between driving and using the key. When I have more than one car with CA, it will likely become a bigger PITA.

a