General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why the key fob?

Maybe someone can fill me in on the BIG PICTURE for the key fob. Why can't they just have a regular key and be done with it?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sure its security, but who knows?

You can buy a "vallet key" without the fob and be done with it.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
For the 2nd gens it's because that's what BMW is doing with all their cars now..

Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was one of the things I didn't like about the R56!

The traditional key is ideal for this purpose and has been fully optimized, imo.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Key fob is a record keeper.

The Fob not only makes it hard for someone to hot wire your car to steal it. It also keeps a record of dealer service, Recalls done, and it probably tells the dealer things you don't want them to know like missed shifts, over revving Etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The R50 & R53 use a more traditional key with a security chip & other functions built in.

The R56 has the new fob to relieve people from the drudgery of having to turn the key. Now that is progress!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 AM
lhwelch
2nd Gear
Standard on BMW cars from 2007. Several other manufactures have gone to similar concepts. It also accommodates the remote function option called Comfort Access by MINI that allows you to start the car without removing the fob from your pocket.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM
STi2Mini
3rd Gear
I love my Comfort Access!! : )

Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Yup, comfort access is great. But probably my favorite part about the fob (and it's already been mentioned) is the dealers access to information about the car, just from putting the key in. No more running out to the car to check mileage or anything like that... they put the key in their computer, and nearly all your information is there instantly.

I wasn't totally sold on the whole keyless fob thing at first, and I didn't quite understand it or comfort access until I had it. Now I love it, and can't imagine having it another way.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I like my fob just because it is different like my MINI. Other manufacturers are implementing them as well, but none that I know have gone the flying saucer route.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why would anyone want to fiddle with a silly thing like a key? Walk up to the car, press the black button on the door handle to unlock it, get in, press the Start button, and go.

That's how cars should work. We don't need no stinking keys. The fob fits nicely in the coin pocket of Levis.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
ran-o-matic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
The R50 & R53 use a more traditional key with a security chip & other functions built in.

The R56 has the new fob to relieve people from the drudgery of having to turn the key. Now that is progress!
I sure do like my comfort access and I actually do consider it drudgery to fish out a key and use it in my wife's car. As you say, progress!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
My other car is a 08 Toyota Highlander. Its also keyless. In fact there is no place to insert the Key Fob at all. You just leave it in your pocket/purse whatever.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 AM
markusw
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Why would anyone want to fiddle with a silly thing like a key? Walk up to the car, press the black button on the door handle to unlock it, get in, press the Start button, and go.

That's how cars should work. We don't need no stinking keys. The fob fits nicely in the coin pocket of Levis.
+1

Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
mordecai
3rd Gear
Let me give you a brief scenario of how I use my comfort access. My wife is the great key loser. If it has a key, she will lose it. These things cost an arm and a leg. After the last time she lost the key to the Mini (and I found it) I took the thing and hid it somewhere in her purse. She always has her purse with her. All she has to do now is get in the car and it starts. SHE NEVER LOSES THE KEY. I can't say the same for the mini van tho :-/

Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear

Well try warding off a mugger or group of highly trained ninja's with your fob. I'll stick to old cap'n Stabby! Oh wait. I think I heard something........

Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
pawsome
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948
The Fob not only makes it hard for someone to hot wire your car to steal it. It also keeps a record of dealer service, Recalls done, and it probably tells the dealer things you don't want them to know like missed shifts, over revving Etc.
Almost except the last two parts about missed shifts and overreving. Someone told me the key keeps track of how fast you go as well and I uhhh went fast that one night. A few weeks later, I asked an SA if she could tell how fast I went and she told me that the key is smart but not that smart.

So if what she told me is true, your max. speed, your missed shifts and your uhhm 6k rpm in 2nd are still secrets between you and your MINI

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Sabre
6th Gear

Originally Posted by markusw
+1
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I like my fob just because it is different like my MINI. Other manufacturers are implementing them as well, but none that I know have gone the flying saucer route.
^ +1

I myself like the fob...

Fits the MINIs character perfectly... The fob is akin to the large speedometer centered in the dash... Quirky, different... definitely in keeping with the MINI persona!

A key? So mainstream... Ho-hum...

A fob, now that's cool!

Last edited by Sabre; 02-19-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM
psb
3rd Gear
many car makers switched to keyless, i believe also because of injuries sustained in crashes where the knee of the driver was damaged by the protruding key from the steering column. much like rising belt lines on car exteriors dictated by crash and safety standards for pedestrians, and why the R56 was designed as it was outside.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pawsome
Almost except the last two parts about missed shifts and overreving. Someone told me the key keeps track of how fast you go as well and I uhhh went fast that one night. A few weeks later, I asked an SA if she could tell how fast I went and she told me that the key is smart but not that smart.

So if what she told me is true, your max. speed, your missed shifts and your uhhm 6k rpm in 2nd are still secrets between you and your MINI
Now, THAT'S a relief!!! I've only been a little bad up 'till now, (break-in period and all), but soon I plan on being absolutely HORRID!

I have to insert the little disc of a key into the dash, but I love that it's different and feels cool in my hand. Yep, I know that makes me sound a bit simple... but I'm still smiling as I zip away!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Why the key fob?..........Because it's awesome! I love it everyone is just astonished when they see it. It's different and it makes the MINI standout that much more.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moltenhalo
Now, THAT'S a relief!!! I've only been a little bad up 'till now, (break-in period and all), but soon I plan on being absolutely HORRID!

I have to insert the little disc of a key into the dash, but I love that it's different and feels cool in my hand. Yep, I know that makes me sound a bit simple... but I'm still smiling as I zip away!
While the FOB doesn't have this information the onboard computer of most modern cars does keep track of it. Actually, a lot of them keep track of braking, acceleration, g-forces, transmission shifting, RPM,s, and all sorts of other information that you may or may not want to be known. Think black boxes in planes but already in your car.

The insurance industry and law enforcement have been fighting for the right to this information for several years now. This way if you are in an accident and it somehow looked like another driver was at fault but the system told them different you would get charged.

This also goes into the law enforcement wanting all new cars designed with engine immobilizers built in that they can have access too if needed.

I would guess that as the future progresses the key FOB will become a data point for this information with the appropriate access to get it. Who gets that access and how it is used will be another story altogether.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It is honestly a fad of the early 21st century. By 2020, they would have already stopped using them. During the 2010's, numerous incidents with push button start/stop malfunctioning - some cases deadly - will cause consumers to loose all faith in the technology and it will be phased out.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
MINIxB
6th Gear
What Start button malfunctions?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hunter99
The insurance industry and law enforcement have been fighting for the right to this information for several years now. This way if you are in an accident and it somehow looked like another driver was at fault but the system told them different you would get charged.
Not to stray too far off of the original topic, but here's a very interesting piece at TTAC about the Toyota gas pedal debacle and black boxes.. very interesting read.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wha...s-black-boxes/

Quick Reply: Why the key fob?