General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humanist/Atheist Motoring Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Ender_Will
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
How about the "FSM"...The Flying Flying Spaghetti Monster for a logo!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Call ourselves the Noodly Atheist Motorists - NAM's got a good ring to it

Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
How about the "FSM"...The Flying Flying Spaghetti Monster for a logo!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
LOL that's awesome

Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a crab to me.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:10 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIxB
Great idea. I'm not atheist I'm agnostic but it just bugs me when other religious people (like my dad) get mad about me being agnostic or someone else not believing in what they believe in...

+1

It doesn't bug me one bit what others believe in (so long as they're not pushing me to believe it too). In fact, I embrace the idea that we can all have our own belief systems.

And oh yeah - count me in.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BensMini
Good gosh, whats the world coming to? Christians, atheist, agnostics, I guess the next thing will be the Hebrew MINI Motorist, or The Musilim MINI's, or Bhudist, Shinto, etc, etc??
Sure why not?? As long as we are respectful, the more diverse the better...! I would be riding with the HMM's myself!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:16 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
I'm in! Glad to see I'm not quite in the minority I was thinking - I imagine it's that way in many areas but many of us are just not comfy speaking up about our views or lack of belief. Definitely not down here in the south.

Great idea!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
Loving how many of you are coming out of the woodwork!

I really like the "MINI is my religion" idea, so here's a quick concept sketch:

This was just a mock up in paint (all I have at work ) if people like it I'll throw something more professional together tonight -- and if you have a design background (I don't) please feel free to help out!

Also, it might be cool to incorporate the scarlet A somewhere:

Or this!!!

what do y'all think?

Last edited by throughthedoors; 01-28-2010 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by throughthedoors

This was just a mock up in paint (all I have at work ) if people like it I'll throw something more professional together tonight -- and if you have a design background (I don't) please feel free to help out!
Nice! I like simple designs myself and this is. Maybe make the M in Mini checkered? Or add wings on the side of the word to reference both angels and the mini logo? Maybe put the small mini wings where the halo is? Just some thoughts...nice work so far!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
OK just one last concept pic:

If it gets cropped in the thread, you might need to click on this link to see it in full

Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The funny thing about this thread is that it points out the most important thing about MINI's.....that it is a love that transcends virtually all social and economic boundaries.....when I look at my fellow motorist, I see such a wide range of drivers, that frankly I am proud. All to often, when you see a car, you already know a huge amount about the driver just by looking at their car. With the MINI, the person behind the wheel could be anybody....fry-cook, lawyer, doctor, construction worker, techie, CEO,or even billionaire....yes, as a pilot, I have picked up a few at the airport driving their own MINI's, valeting it as they get on their MULTI-Million dollar airplane that costs more to run per hour than a MINI cost new!!
It is what makes the MINI truly amazing. Even more amazing, is that a thread like this proves that by and large, as a group, we are mostly good natured, with a pretty good sense of humor!! Best of all, we know when to take stuff seriously, and when to have a good laugh, and a smile!! That is why I drive a MINI, it makes me Smile whenever I see mine, or drive it!!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
OK just one last concept pic:

If it gets cropped in the thread, you might need to click on this link to see it in full
That's funny! I think you need only three cars to get the point across. Suv, mid-size, mini and will be easier to read.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
The funny thing about this thread is that it points out the most important thing about MINI's.....that it is a love that transcends virtually all social and economic boundaries.....when I look at my fellow motorist, I see such a wide range of drivers, that frankly I am proud. All to often, when you see a car, you already know a huge amount about the driver just by looking at their car. With the MINI, the person behind the wheel could be anybody....fry-cook, lawyer, doctor, construction worker, techie, CEO,or even billionaire....yes, as a pilot, I have picked up a few at the airport driving their own MINI's, valeting it as they get on their MULTI-Million dollar airplane that costs more to run per hour than a MINI cost new!!
It is what makes the MINI truly amazing. Even more amazing, is that a thread like this proves that by and large, as a group, we are mostly good natured, with a pretty good sense of humor!! Best of all, we know when to take stuff seriously, and when to have a good laugh, and a smile!! That is why I drive a MINI, it makes me Smile whenever I see mine, or drive it!!
^^

Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
+1

I have a friend who is a car enthusiast and owns a Porsche, Ferrari, and several other fun sports cars and older cars as well. He prefers to drive his Mini.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:15 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
We need to start a FB group. Anyone so inclined? I would but I'm at school and we (rightly) don't allow access to FB here.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:52 AM
mtrusty
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM
redZip
2nd Gear

I was going to vote for the noodly appendage, but this one is awesome.

Count me in.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 AM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps we could get Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins to be our spokesperson?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."

- Bertrand Russell

Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Anyways - name ideas? I thought Secular Humanist/Atheist Motoring club would be a good bet - mostly because its acronym is SHAM and I've always thought atheism with a dash of irreverence makes a great cocktail. ...
So: Non-believers, show yourselves!
How about Secular Humanist/Atheist Motoring Enthusiasts ... uh no. Sorry.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
We also need a logo, like:

(again, just a mock-up until I can get home to my computer)

Calling all graphic designers/anyone who's less amateur than me: Help us out!

Last edited by throughthedoors; 01-28-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
throughthedoors
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge."

- Bertrand Russell

Good one!

Originally Posted by brightwhite
Perhaps we could get Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins to be our spokesperson?
I love these guys but I think they're too militant to actually get anything positive done for the secular cause.

If you haven't yet, I strongly encourage you (and all) to look into Daniel Dennett. His book Consciousness Explained is THE best explanation of the human mind (that's accessible to people who don't study psychology or philosophy of mind) and Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon is a fantastic study of the origins of religious thought from a psychological point of view.

"In the beginning, there were no reasons; there were only causes. Nothing had a purpose, nothing has so much as a function; there was no teleology in the world at all. "
(Consciousness Explained)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Join me in on this one, I don't believe god "blessed" me with this car, working and a loan from my bank did lol.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I love these guys but I think they're too militant to actually get anything positive done for the secular cause.
I suggest Greg Epstein, humanist chaplain at Harvard. He had a good interview on Fresh Air: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=121813448

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Count me in. Although I'm not sure I can deny the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I find the Shinto idea, that there are seven gods in a grain of rice, to be appealing. There are definitely seven gods in a shift ****.

My grandfather was an Episcopal Bishop. My father was a Humanist, but Humanism is a little too species-centric for my taste.

As for names, how about Darwinians, Atheists, and Agnostics for Motoring Now in that we aren't waiting for an after-life to put the pedal down.

Another possibility would be Realists of American Motoring in the spirit of Vulcan philosoper, T'Plana-Hath, who said, "Nothing unreal exists."

Quick Reply: Humanist/Atheist Motoring Club