General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humanist/Atheist Motoring Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 AM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radgator1
This thread could use a little levity at this point, so I was thinking, if in Fact Mini is our religion, is it fair to say that J.C. is our savior
How can an Atheist have any "religion"?

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Legal action would be extreme although I can understand someone feeling offended that their design was "stolen" and modified. There's plenty of room for multiple, completely different designs. My personal favorite by far is still JustinGTP's:

In the end, it's all a moot point to me. I don't like having badges, bumper stickers, stripes, decals, graphics or other applied decoration on my car.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote of the day:

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you;
it's what you think you know that ain't so
." - Mark Twain

Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Kaviaq
Neutral
I'd like to join as well.

Any other vegan atheist MINI owners out there?? That may be getting a bit too specific

Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Legal action would be extreme although I can understand someone feeling offended that their design was "stolen" and modified. There's plenty of room for multiple, completely different designs. My personal favorite by far is still JustinGTP's:

In the end, it's all a moot point to me. I don't like having badges, bumper stickers, stripes, decals, graphics or other applied decoration on my car.
I must admit, that's one of my favorite designs so far. I like the simplicity.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaviaq
I'd like to join as well.

Any other vegan atheist MINI owners out there?? That may be getting a bit too specific
We're not as uncommon as people think.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Legal action would be extreme although I can understand someone feeling offended that their design was "stolen" and modified. There's plenty of room for multiple, completely different designs.
I guess I was mistaken in thinking that this was a brainstorming session to work out a logo that the majority liked. I assumed people were contributing ideas, and others were free to alter or refine it. I didn't realize that it was a contest for who got to control or profit from the logo. If an image posted on the web has been copyrighted, it should be marked with the copyright mark or word "copyright," a name, and a year.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
If an image posted on the web has been copyrighted, it should be marked with the copyright mark or word "copyright," a name, and a year.
If not, then it is free range on it's use.

I think it would be a nice thing for the "community" if the member who feels they have legal ownership of the image provided the copyright information first. Then they can get into the whole cease and desist thing.

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
My personal favorite by far is still JustinGTP's:
I like it. Reminds me of the style Apple used for early Mac logos. However, the feet bother me. I think it would be good of they were modified a little to look less like the letter L and more like feet.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by rkw

This image would be easy to turn into a branding iron

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 PM
lotsie
Banned
Enough with the pretty pictures.

Do all atheist believe in evolution? Can a person believe in evolution, and still belong to a religion? Do folks that believe Earth is just a petri dish for some older advanced civilization, believe that that civilization is made up of "Higher Beings"? Does believing that there are spirits in plants and animals, include or exclude, one from atheism? How do cults fit in to this whole picture?

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I am a Christian and I believe in evolution. Might want to check out www.biologos.org for others with a similar position.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Well, I am a Christian and I believe in evolution. Might want to check out www.biologos.org for others with a similar position.
I was hoping we would discuss these thing here, share why one believes in something, rather than traipsing around the interweb.

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
I have met and had interesting conversations with people with pretty much every combination of religious, scientific, and pseudoscientific persuasion. (young Earth creationists, old earth creationists, "creation evolutionists," and so on).

The oddest one was an old classmate who was a young earth creationist, but at the same time, was a successful geologist. When I asked him how he could practice modern geology and yet believe the earth was only 6000 years old, he said that God created the world with the appearance of age. So, all the rocks and geologic structures that he studied and wrote papers and reports on (that were published in the mainstream journals) were 'created' as-is and only made to look old. He applied modern geologic analyses to them, successfully published the work, but really didn't 'believe' that what he wrote happened.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:07 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by ofioliti
When I asked him how he could practice modern geology and yet believe the earth was only 6000 years old, he said that God created the world with the appearance of age. So, all the rocks and geologic structures that he studied and wrote papers and reports on (that were published in the mainstream journals) were 'created' as-is and only made to look old. He applied modern geologic analyses to them, successfully published the work, but really didn't 'believe' that what he wrote happened.
Sound like a script from a Sci-fi flix. Aliens create a class science project called, "Lets see what the monkeys do if we set it up this way"

Mark

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
Sound like a script from a Sci-fi flix. Aliens create a class science project called, "Lets see what the monkeys do if we set it up this way"

Mark
Hmmm .. yes, interesting plot!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I was hoping we would discuss these thing here, share why one believes in something, rather than traipsing around the interweb.
Well, I was only answering one of the questions from your previous post, "Can a person believe in evolution, and still belong to a religion?" by affirming that at least one person here on NAM does "belong to a religion" and believes in evolution. Was also letting you know of at least one place where you could find others that believe the same thing if you were so inclined to do any additional research.

So the answer to the original question is "Yes". Of the several questions you posed, that is really the only one I had anything for.

he said that God created the world with the appearance of age. So, all the rocks and geologic structures that he studied and wrote papers and reports on (that were published in the mainstream journals) were 'created' as-is and only made to look old. He applied modern geologic analyses to them, successfully published the work, but really didn't 'believe' that what he wrote happened.
That is interesting as that is part of the construct of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Since that was created as a satire, it is interesting that someone out there actually holds a similar belief. Kind of like believing one would actually find Lilliputians. Maybe the FSM creator had run across people like your geologist friend prior to his work on the FSM.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Enough with the pretty pictures.

Do all atheist believe in evolution? Can a person believe in evolution, and still belong to a religion? Do folks that believe Earth is just a petri dish for some older advanced civilization, believe that that civilization is made up of "Higher Beings"? Does believing that there are spirits in plants and animals, include or exclude, one from atheism? How do cults fit in to this whole picture?

Mark
I am Christian, it depends on what you mean by, "evolution". I believe in "micro evolution". Major evolution with it's major holes in it, no.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I am Christian, it depends on what you mean by, "evolution". I believe in "micro evolution". Major evolution with it's major holes in it, no.
and those holes would be?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:14 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by brightwhite
and those holes would be?
+1

I've often found that people who doubt "major evolution" are unfamiliar with the evidence and have only heard about the "holes" poked by the creationists.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
You are not alone! Indeed, most Catholics that I know have no problem with evolution----especially since Pope John Paul II declared evolution as not contradicting the Bible. I also have a "born-again" Christian friend who is fine with evolution.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
+1

I've often found that people who doubt "major evolution" are unfamiliar with the evidence and have only heard about the "holes" poked by the creationists.
It's a two way street buddy. As NAM has rules regarding these kind of discussions, this cannot be discussed here.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I am not really up to speed on all the nuances of evolution or the positions of the creationists, but I think my understanding of what might be considered a "hole" was summed up pretty well by Darwin himself:

"The number of intermediate varieties which have formerly existed on Earth must be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory."
Depending on how it is being explained, this basically comes down to the lack of evidence of transitional forms. My own understanding is that the creationists also make arguments related to irreducible complexity, but I have not seen any argument they make that I find sufficient to debunk the theory.

My own opinion is that the lack of this evidence is not fatal to the theory.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
It's a two way street buddy. As NAM has rules regarding these kind of discussions, this cannot be discussed here.
Not sure what you have in mind, but a discussion of evolution is in the realm if science and I don't think NAM has any rules against that.

I am not really up to speed on all the nuances of evolution or the positions of the creationists, but I think my understanding of what might be considered a "hole" was summed up pretty well by Darwin himself:

Depending on how it is being explained, this basically comes down to the lack of evidence of transitional forms. My own understanding is that the creationists also make arguments related to irreducible complexity, but I have not seen any argument they make that I find sufficient to debunk the theory.

My own opinion is that the lack of this evidence is not fatal to the theory.
During Darwin's time, yes, there were many examples of lacking transitional forms, but since his time, there have been numerous advances in paleontology that have filled many of the gaps. For example, there are a lot of fossils coming out of China recently that are shedding light on the evolution of feathers and the the transition from dinosaurs to birds. Another good example is the evolution of whales from legged land-based critters----work coming out of the University of Michigan. Go Blue!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Not sure what you have in mind, but a discussion of evolution is in the realm if science and I don't think NAM has any rules against that.

Well see I can't discus it with out discussing "Creationism" at the same time, as I believe they are intertwined Then we would have a problem, if you haven't already, watch this movie if you have an open mind :

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...KQ_8uikr7mw9qA

Quick Reply: Humanist/Atheist Motoring Club