General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Badges

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
ash5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badges

Hey everyone,

i just got myself the magnetic badge holder and now need some badges. I found a few I like at motoringbadges.com, but does anybody know of any other places to buy? I'd love to find some with a vintage look, or someone who will do custom badges (or teach me to do them myself). Thanks!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by ash5
Hey everyone,

i just got myself the magnetic badge holder and now need some badges. I found a few I like at motoringbadges.com, but does anybody know of any other places to buy? I'd love to find some with a vintage look, or someone who will do custom badges (or teach me to do them myself). Thanks!
"Cooper Flags" has a ton of badges to choose from, and they can make custom ones, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
sajacobs
2nd Gear
www.cooperflags.com has some vintage looking badges. Plus they do custom one as well.

or
http://www.minimotoringgraphics.com/ has some badges.

I like cooper flags badges. They have great ones for the holidays. Their badges are excellent quality.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll ditto the CooperFlags quality. I had them do some custom badges for me and was extremely pleased. If you are looking for something professional and long lasting, definitely the way to go. I'm sure the other vendors you'll find here are of similar quality, I just haven't had an opportunity to buy from any of them.

I also make a lot of my own. Had to buy a good sheet of heavy magnetic material that I cut into the round discs. I print them on bumper sticker paper in my ink jet, cut, stick on the magnetic material, and then put laminate on them. They work well, but do not hold up too well in bad weather. Even dew will kill them (the laminate helps with that some but destruction seems inevitable if you leave them on continuously). But, as they are destroyed, it is easy to peel off and reuse the magnetic material.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Quick question gang...I notice that the various vendors say you have to drill a hole if you have the justa grill to fit the badge holder on to the grill. This scares me. How hard is this to do? Should I just get the easy one to install on the back license plate? SORRY to hijack.

I also like the ones I saw at cooper flags. All types and styles!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbrowland
Quick question gang...I notice that the various vendors say you have to drill a hole if you have the justa grill to fit the badge holder on to the grill. This scares me. How hard is this to do? Should I just get the easy one to install on the back license plate? SORRY to hijack.

I also like the ones I saw at cooper flags. All types and styles!
Yeah, the problem with the stock Cooper grill is that it's not really a grill... in the sense that there aren't actually any openings in it. So, you have to drill a couple holes in the backing plate between the bars. It shouldn't be difficult at all.

That being said, the other option would be to replace the stock Chrome Bar grill with a JCW grill which is also very simple to do. In that case, you just bolt the badge holder on. I did the swap to the JCW grill recently, and added the badge holder, and it looks great, IMO.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang

That being said, the other option would be to replace the stock Chrome Bar grill with a JCW grill which is also very simple to do. In that case, you just bolt the badge holder on. I did the swap to the JCW grill recently, and added the badge holder, and it looks great, IMO.
I like the black grill look and this will likely be something I will do in the future. Much more aggressive look to me!

For now I will just get the plate badge holders.

Magnetic badges are all 3 inches standard right? I notice the ones at minimotoringgraphics are 6 inches and are stickers no???

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I like the black grill look and this will likely be something I will do in the future. Much more aggressive look to me!
Just do it! It's really easy... and the grill is only ~$60. Plus it'll save you the money from buying the rear badge holder when what you really want is the GRILL badge holder.

For now I will just get the plate badge holders.

Magnetic badges are all 3 inches standard right? I notice the ones at minimotoringgraphics are 6 inches and are stickers no???
Yeah, the ones at minimotoringgraphics aren't the same thing.

Motoringbadges and CooperFlags are the "standard" 3 inch diameter.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
I am looking at the JCW grill at outmotoring. Keeping in mind that I know NOTHING about cars but I can read and use basic tools, how "simple" is it to replace the grill? I assume it is bolted in or clipped in somehow? Do I need to buy the brackets they mention? Did you keep the chrome on the outside or did you also get the black on the outside too? I kind like the chrome on the outside and the black on the inside. That way the chrome matches the headlights chrome. If it is a simple snap on and off then I think I can do it. I will take a look t the grill in the light tomorrow...

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
I am looking at the JCW grill at outmotoring. Keeping in mind that I know NOTHING about cars but I can read and use basic tools, how "simple" is it to replace the grill? I assume it is bolted in or clipped in somehow? Do I need to buy the brackets they mention? Did you keep the chrome on the outside or did you also get the black on the outside too? I kind like the chrome on the outside and the black on the inside. That way the chrome matches the headlights chrome. If it is a simple snap on and off then I think I can do it. I will take a look t the grill in the light tomorrow...
It's incredibly easy.

And you're in luck... I just made this how-to yesterday.

(Click the Pic, then go through the pictures in order)

If you look through it, let me know if there's anything unclear, and I'll clarify (and fix the how-to).

BTW, I bought my grill from outmotoring also, and obviously I kept the chrome grill, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Blainestang
It's incredibly easy.

And you're in luck... I just made this how-to yesterday.

(Click the Pic, then go through the pictures in order)

If you look through it, let me know if there's anything unclear, and I'll clarify (and fix the how-to).

BTW, I bought my grill from outmotoring also, and obviously I kept the chrome grill, too.
Wow! Nice and clear how to!!! I love the color on your MINI with the white btw! AND the JCW Grill looks great of course.

It looks pretty easy but it's the things that happen along the way that scare me. It seems when I do these projects stuff happens not in the manual, lol. Nonetheless, it doesn't look hard, especially if I have a more car savy friend help out. It's a nice little MOD. I like the black and chrome together. Sporty. The all chrome look is kinda 1950's looking to me. Now if I could get someone to cut a hood scoop in my bonnet. I don't need or want the power of the cooper S but I love the look of the scoop.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Wow! Nice and clear how to!!! I love the color on your MINI with the white btw! AND the JCW Grill looks great of course.

It looks pretty easy but it's the things that happen along the way that scare me. It seems when I do these projects stuff happens not in the manual, lol. Nonetheless, it doesn't look hard, especially if I have a more car savy friend help out. It's a nice little MOD. I like the black and chrome together. Sporty. The all chrome look is kinda 1950's looking to me. Now if I could get someone to cut a hood scoop in my bonnet. I don't need or want the power of the cooper S but I love the look of the scoop.
Glad it seemed clear... and I know what you mean about other stuff popping up. This is pretty straight-forward, though, I'd say. Always a good idea to have someone help out, be an extra set of hands and eyes.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the color combo... we're really happy with it. It's just a happy car... for lack of a less corny-sounding description.

I agree on the chrome. I don't mind some chrome (though I may go bodycolor as some point), but the grill bars were a bit much for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Btw, Blaine, are you a Gator? I see a Gator chair in the background. I am a Seminole class of 96! I like the Gator's though. After all, a Gator introduced my wife and I long ago.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Btw, Blaine, are you a Gator? I see a Gator chair in the background. I am a Seminole class of 96! I like the Gator's though. After all, a Gator introduced my wife and I long ago.
I'm not... but my wife is!

So, we're Gator fans (and USF Bulls), but we'll root for the 'Noles whenever they're not playing the Gators/Bulls.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 AM
R53-BRG
3rd Gear
I have my Mini Motoring Heart permanently affixed to my badge holder on the drivers side grill. I'll most likely be getting a dual holder for the boot.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
*Giovanni*
1st Gear
Thanks Blaine! What great visual instructions. I'm considering making the change & feel more comfortable doing it myself with your step by step.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Originally Posted by *Giovanni*
Thanks Blaine! What great visual instructions. I'm considering making the change & feel more comfortable doing it myself with your step by step.
You're welcome. Yeah, it's not too difficult, but good instructions are a big help. Good luck!