General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
picking up black vinyl to cover all the chrome on the exterior, I'm also attempting engine mount swap in a parking lot today

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
RJKimball, that's funny - my WIFE has a Kia Soul! In Ignition Orange... check www.kiasoulforums.com, or www.soulhamsters.com...

I bought some spacers for my R53 custom exhaust, it's 3/16"" off but otherwise snorty and wonderful. This weekend he gets to go to a car show, gets a detailing and an interior cleaning...
We are definitely "Hamsters"!! I think our handle on Soulhamsters.com is also RJKimbell, though I hog the computer for NAM!! Check out my Garage both Molly & "SMAUG" are there, if you know who SMAUG is, you're probably a GEEK, like my Husband!!

Funny my Husband was never a Car Nut until he met me...Lucky HIM!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM
IAMWUTIAM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I did the front brakes on the MINI. It was surprisingly easy and by easy I mean nothing broke...

Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
I got new tires for my MINI on Wednesday. The Conti's were almost out of tread at a touch over 15, 000 miles! I got Yokohama Avid Envigors after reading all the positive reviews on this site and Tire Rack.com. And bonus: the tire store matched the Tire Rack price! Sweet!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wpb mini
I got new tires for my MINI on Wednesday. The Conti's were almost out of tread at a touch over 15, 000 miles! I got Yokohama Avid Envigors after reading all the positive reviews on this site and Tire Rack.com. And bonus: the tire store matched the Tire Rack price! Sweet!

Wow, better check my runflats. Have over 12,000miles on mine!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
WinnieMiniFW
2nd Gear
Used some Armor All Wheel Protectant for my MINI's rims today! Made them more shiny that usual

Monday I will be changing the spark plugs (NGK Platinum), NGK wire set, air filter, oil change (Mobil 1 0w-40) and filter! Oh, and a strut mount replacement. Then she'll be happy again and I'll be able to take her for a drive!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wpb mini
I just put these same tires on my MINI a couple of weeks ago. I really like them so far. My run flats only lasted 11,000. Oh well, I was glad to be rid of them!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 PM
JMH_Show
2nd Gear
My Wife completed the "Break In" period. 1200 miles! Time to Party

Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
sean5294
2nd Gear
ordered NM springs today! cant wait

Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Floor-is
2nd Gear
TL;DR -> Coendek modded the rear-lights yesterday. Joeymodded the front, painted the front-grill.

Rear light modding was simpler then I expected:
Just take a sharp knife, plunge it into the glue, about 4-5mm is enough. Don't twist the knife, but rotate it a little so you can use a small hammer to tap through the glue. Go round the whole unit and it will pop open. Remove the lens, leave the rest. Use some crepe-tape (that goes around bends) to cover the inside. Spray it, let it dry in the oven for about five minutes at 125C, repeat at least three times. Leave the unit alone for about half an hour.
Clamp the rear into a workbench, remove the tape. Put the lens back on. Use silicone-based kit (the stuff you use for your bathroom, but clear, not white) to glue it back together. Put a little rubber/silicone mat on the lens on which you set a gallon-jug filled with water or anything actually. Leave be for a few hours.
Carefully test the silicone, is it strong enough to hold the lens? And is it really closed? It would be a small disaster if water came seeping through
Bolt the unit(s) back in: done!!

The Joey-mod isn't much harder, but you'll have to have some guts to do it.
First remove the screws that hold the Xenon-unit under the headlight. Then unbold the three nuts (10mm socket), one on the front, two in the back. Unclamp the wiring and the washer-tube.
Carefully take out the headlight, then remove the washer. Now here's the part where you'll need some serious guts. Put the headlights in the oven at 175C for about 4 minutes. This will make the sticky stuff that holds the lens on the unit quite soft, you will still have to use some force, try to do that with some gloves on as the unit will be hot. No screwdriver necessary just do it by hand to decrease the chance of scratches and stuff.
The first time took me a lot longer, had to put the unit back in the oven as it had cooled down quite a lot.
All right, once you have the lens of, remove the large silvery interior. There's lots of DIYs that'll tell you how to get it all out. Just clean it to get any grease from your hands off the parts you'll want to paint.
Spray-paint the parts, let it set in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 125C before adding another layer. Repeat at least three times and finally let it set for 20-25 minutes before putting it all back in again.
Once you've done that, put the headlight on it's back and carefully put back the front-lens. Then put it all in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 175C. Press (quite hard) to reattach the lens, reattach the washer. Put the bulbs back in and then put it in the bonnet where it belongs Don't forget to reattach the washer-tube and the wiring :P

The grill was easy as I wanted it all matte black. Just undid the little nuts on the bonnet and with some careful prying took the top-part out. Cleaned it, let it dry, sandpapered it a little. Painted it, left it of 15mins, repeated that a few times.
The bottom part of the grill was a b*tch. The chrome thingy came of easy, that other thing wouldn't budge. Had to paint it while still on the car.
In the end I just put it all back where it belonged and that's about it.

Need to paint the grills a few more times, I ran out of paint and it is matte now. Don't know if I want to keep it that way just yet.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, it's 3:00AM so that'll take a little while.

BTW: one of the washers was glued together by the previous owner, I accidentally broke it so I had to order a new one. ($100)
As the car has painted wheel arches and the paint starts to peel off, I bid on some new arches with the fancy (US only) lights in it. I already bought some before, I hope I have them all now so I can replace them.
And I've bought new headlight-trims in dark-silver. It'll be hell to put them on, so hope to have some help doing so or at least a good DIY/how-to
Need to paint the boot-latch (above the license plate) black to now.. Bummer

Pics!

Last edited by Floor-is; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Wash n wax

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM
greentimemachine
2nd Gear
Washed "Gojira" with my 3yo.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Korben Dallas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Floor-is
TL;DR -> Coendek modded the rear-lights yesterday. Joeymodded the front, painted the front-grill.

Rear light modding was simpler then I expected:
Just take a sharp knife, plunge it into the glue, about 4-5mm is enough. Don't twist the knife, but rotate it a little so you can use a small hammer to tap through the glue. Go round the whole unit and it will pop open. Remove the lens, leave the rest. Use some crepe-tape (that goes around bends) to cover the inside. Spray it, let it dry in the oven for about five minutes at 125C, repeat at least three times. Leave the unit alone for about half an hour.
Clamp the rear into a workbench, remove the tape. Put the lens back on. Use silicone-based kit (the stuff you use for your bathroom, but clear, not white) to glue it back together. Put a little rubber/silicone mat on the lens on which you set a gallon-jug filled with water or anything actually. Leave be for a few hours.
Carefully test the silicone, is it strong enough to hold the lens? And is it really closed? It would be a small disaster if water came seeping through
Bolt the unit(s) back in: done!!

The Joey-mod isn't much harder, but you'll have to have some guts to do it.
First remove the screws that hold the Xenon-unit under the headlight. Then unbold the three nuts (10mm socket), one on the front, two in the back. Unclamp the wiring and the washer-tube.
Carefully take out the headlight, then remove the washer. Now here's the part where you'll need some serious guts. Put the headlights in the oven at 175C for about 4 minutes. This will make the sticky stuff that holds the lens on the unit quite soft, you will still have to use some force, try to do that with some gloves on as the unit will be hot. No screwdriver necessary just do it by hand to decrease the chance of scratches and stuff.
The first time took me a lot longer, had to put the unit back in the oven as it had cooled down quite a lot.
All right, once you have the lens of, remove the large silvery interior. There's lots of DIYs that'll tell you how to get it all out. Just clean it to get any grease from your hands off the parts you'll want to paint.
Spray-paint the parts, let it set in the oven for 5-7 minutes at 125C before adding another layer. Repeat at least three times and finally let it set for 20-25 minutes before putting it all back in again.
Once you've done that, put the headlight on it's back and carefully put back the front-lens. Then put it all in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 175C. Press (quite hard) to reattach the lens, reattach the washer. Put the bulbs back in and then put it in the bonnet where it belongs Don't forget to reattach the washer-tube and the wiring :P

The grill was easy as I wanted it all matte black. Just undid the little nuts on the bonnet and with some careful prying took the top-part out. Cleaned it, let it dry, sandpapered it a little. Painted it, left it of 15mins, repeated that a few times.
The bottom part of the grill was a b*tch. The chrome thingy came of easy, that other thing wouldn't budge. Had to paint it while still on the car.
In the end I just put it all back where it belonged and that's about it.

Need to paint the grills a few more times, I ran out of paint and it is matte now. Don't know if I want to keep it that way just yet.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, it's 3:00AM so that'll take a little while.

BTW: one of the washers was glued together by the previous owner, I accidentally broke it so I had to order a new one. ($100)
As the car has painted wheel arches and the paint starts to peel off, I bid on some new arches with the fancy (US only) lights in it. I already bought some before, I hope I have them all now so I can replace them.
And I've bought new headlight-trims in dark-silver. It'll be hell to put them on, so hope to have some help doing so or at least a good DIY/how-to
Need to paint the boot-latch (above the license plate) black to now.. Bummer

Pics!

Looking good! Gotta do something about that chrome trim though, it sticks out like pink eye, or should I say chrome eye. ..Ahem, I'll show myself out

I was going to install torque arm inserts, but it started to rain. Grrrr

Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
I installed a boost gauge in order to see what the supercharger was doing...pain in the butt, but worth it.

I also replaced the stock BPV with the broken spring with a new DT BPV....WOW, what a HUGE difference that made!!! The motor actually has some guts now...I love it!!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
nitrogen76
2nd Gear
I changed out the infamous leaky thermostat. It was fun wrenching on the car.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
I drove the ever living P*** out of charlotte today! Nothing illegal I just drove her hard this weekend over 1000 miles on her this weekend and 12400 miles since March 21st .

Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 PM
CoLdBLaDe
Neutral
I let Julieta relax in the driveway on this rainy day

Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
She got a nice mini Detail (did not do Interior). I used all Griot's Garage Products...Wheel Cleaner, Car Wash, Spray-on Wax, Vinyl & Rubber Dressing, Speed Shine, and Window Cleaner...she's l@@kin' mighty Spiffy!!

She will be visiting MINI of Portland in the morning for a Passenger Window Squeal and a PDR job...hopefully, the dent is on the Passenger Side Body Panel right behind the door..cross your fingers they can pull it out!!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
cartpix
2nd Gear
Since buying my Clubman I have noticed the poor rear visibility. One of the main offenders are the rear headrests. So, in about 5 minutes, I fixed the problem.

Before (note the stops on the right rod of each headrest)

Drive the pins out & set the stops aside

Replace headrests

Enjoy the added visibility

Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad the center post(s) on the doors don't remove as easily! :P
Just kidding, that's part of the character. I had an R56 loaner from the dealership and ended up removing the rear headrests entirely for the same reason. I also pulled-and-flipped-around the driver's side headrest, because it was mussing up my 'do. Actually, it was just rubbing (annoyingly) the back of my head. Thankfully it fits in there backwards.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny my Husband was never a Car Nut until he met me...Lucky HIM!!
AGREED!

I fully aligned the custom exhaust, fueled with Super Premium, and took the R53 on an Energetic Drive this weekend. MAN that car loves Energetic Drives! Seems to drive better after I return... and Tunnels are especially rewarding.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
finished the engine mount swap, now cleaning the upholstery from the beautifully smooth driving.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ginvent
I drove the ever living P*** out of charlotte today! Nothing illegal I just drove her hard this weekend over 1000 miles on her this weekend and 12400 miles since March 21st .
Where are you still allowed to do that in NJ? I used to live up north of Trenton, and grew up near Lakehurst, and all of the fun just started drying up in the '80s. The police presence was getting downright oppressive in the late '80s, before I moved way out west....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am shiping some old horsepower down to Arizona for Dale today.
You will enjoy it as much as I did.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Installed the Aquamist w/m system. Tank done by Howerton Engineering. I love the thin profile.

Name:  IMG_1269.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  149.6 KB

And now my engine loves me too.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?