General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoda Mini
I like the way the stars look. But your right about the lines not matching up. I don't know if I could get past that. Couldn't you have lowered the sticker on the right panel so it lined up with the center panel?

BTW - I love that skull shift ***. What is that?
Name:  IMG_4549.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  IMG_4543.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  88.9 KB
Name:  IMG_4540.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  63.3 KB

I could have pulled the sticker down on the right, but then the vent hole wouldn't line up, and there would be an ugly gap between the top of the dash pad and the sticker. I'm also not happy with the gap around the steering wheel portion. Keep in mind, this was applied with the dash pieces completely removed from the vehicle too.

I sent an email to the company letting them know I'm not satisfied with the product. I suggested they make a larger set of decals that line up and send them to me, or refund my money. We'll see what happens.

And the shift **** is something I picked up at Autozone. Not often you see a bimmer-type car with something like that in it.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
i would send it back... im thinking about sending mine back... yours covers more of the dash than mine... but doesn line up.. mine just has awkward gaps that shouldnt be there...

Old 01-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nick5811
I could have pulled the sticker down on the right, but then the vent hole wouldn't line up, and there would be an ugly gap between the top of the dash pad and the sticker. I'm also not happy with the gap around the steering wheel portion. Keep in mind, this was applied with the dash pieces completely removed from the vehicle too.

I sent an email to the company letting them know I'm not satisfied with the product. I suggested they make a larger set of decals that line up and send them to me, or refund my money. We'll see what happens.

And the shift **** is something I picked up at Autozone. Not often you see a bimmer-type car with something like that in it.
Oh yeah.....no way to pull the sticker down a little because of the vent. Well I hope they do the right thing and refund the money or send correctly sized stickers. I actually visited the site after seeing your dash and was thinking of maybe buying something but if things don't fit...............

Old 01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
There's definitely something strange going on with these decals. It looks like the distance between the lowest row of stars and the first stripe is completely different on each piece. Even with a different cut those wouldn't line up. For $75 I think you're right to be dissatisfied. I hope you get this resolved.

Originally Posted by Nick5811

Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Impending snow in our forecast forced me to put the winter tires on. I hated to take my Challenge wheels of. Looking forward to spring!

Name:  c48b8c86.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  127.8 KB

Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Got an initial response from the vendor...

Here is the canned response I got from customer service (edited for length):

Originally Posted by MiniMotoringGraphics

Per our Online Return / Refund Policy

Every item we sell is carefully inspected before it is shipped. If you are not satisfied with the goods and inform us within seven days of your receipt of the goods, we will arrange to collect them (the whole order) and give a full refund. Or we will exchange items if they are faulty on delivery to you and we are notified within 10 days of the customers receipt of the product. All products to be returned must be carefully repackaged in their original packing.

Once a graphic is installed is it considered accepted by the customer and approved as produced.

I have forwarded your file over to Engineering and CS/QA.

These parts were developed to be installed by the vehicle owner (an inexperienced installer). We tested these products and have sold them with great success to MINI owners for years. If I offset the graphic +1/8", we'll run into installation issues.

If we decide that adding material to all interior pieces is completely necessary, then we would supply panels with plenty of bleed to be cut away by a professional installer. This will increase the cost of the part and will require the installer to remove the panels from the vehicle prior to installing increasing the cost of labor as well. A $29-$80 item will quickly become a $200-300 dollar personalization and most (the average) consumers are not looking for that much investment. They want something quick, easy, fun and do it yourself.

We've found that this issue comes up about once or twice per hundred customers.

We cannot change CADs that we've had such success with I disagree that it should be done differently for customer seeking something different then what we offer on the website and catalog we can always make them larger pieces at the rate 39.99 a piece using the customization part of our program. You will need to advise them that doing this will require a professional 3M certified licensed and insured installer and that installer a larger piece themselves or attempting to have someone outside the network do the install will void the 3M 3 year 36,000 Mile warranty. Also most installers will charge an absolute minimum of 2 hours of labor for any install even if it only takes 30-45 minuets to preform

Basically, once a graphic is installed is it considered accepted by the customer and approved as produced, even though I have no way to tell prior to installation that it isn't going to fit.

And I guess me and minimike are the only two people that have ever been unhappy with our purchases.

Based on the response from customer service, I guess it's time to dispute the charge with my credit card company since it doesn't look like they are going to do the "right" thing.

Last edited by Nick5811; 01-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Today was SPA day, Tyntcee received a nice warm water bubble bath, making sure to clean all the cracks out. Once dried off, was the start of the gentle hand rubbed waxing, making sure not to leave any white skid marks along the black trim - Which by the way was treated to Protectant 303 for their luster and protection. Once she cooled down a little, the 1000 mile "Break In" oil was drained, filter changed and now ready for long road trip... Soon, very Soon!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Until the end of the second line, I didn’t know we were talking about a MINI.

Of course, you’re also pointing out that your MINI and mine are at opposite ends of the spectrum - salt trucks were out in full force to deal with our DUSTING of snow last night and 4”-6” expected tonight and tomorrow. The Kid won’t see a bubble bath ’til spring.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
morphix
3rd Gear
Tip for the dash graphics, spray the backs with soapy water so you can slide them on then squeegee out the air bubbles. You can slide them around a bit and adjust the edges without stretching. Helps lining up the edges so they cover as much as visible possible.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by morphix
Tip for the dash graphics, spray the backs with soapy water so you can slide them on then squeegee out the air bubbles. You can slide them around a bit and adjust the edges without stretching. Helps lining up the edges so they cover as much as visible possible.
Even when the backs are sticky? Good to know for the future when the graphic doesn't need stretching to cover the whole panel.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:43 AM
morphix
3rd Gear
yeah the soapy water will let lit slide, once it dries it will stick. I have put hood stripes and side stripes on a Mini and Mustang using the same technique. Called the wet method.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Until the end of the second line, I didn’t know we were talking about a MINI.

Of course, you’re also pointing out that your MINI and mine are at opposite ends of the spectrum - salt trucks were out in full force to deal with our DUSTING of snow last night and 4”-6” expected tonight and tomorrow. The Kid won’t see a bubble bath ’til spring.
Albie, have you tried Griots spray on car wash? I just washed her today with it and their micro cloths and, gotta say, am very impressed. The key is, less is more. A bit pricey, but lasts a long time, and worth it!

No, I am not a paid spokesperson

Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crossed over to the States for a few minutes to pick up my hood scoop heat shield retrofit, FESAuto Sport Module among other items from OutMotoring and a whole bunch of Penguin caffeinated mints. OutMotoring sent me a free license plate trim and MC2 magazine.

Then went to Niagara-on-the-lake where they happened to have closed down a street with all kinds of ice wine tasting booths setup. yumm.

Penguin caffeinated mints and a free MC2 magazine by walk0080, on Flickr

Last edited by walk0080; 01-21-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Did nothing to Desmond today. He's sitting in the garage all snug n warm out of the icy elements outside. Should be all gone by Monday when temps hit the high 40's low 50's.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I brushed 5 inches of snow off of mine.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Shoveled the driveway in hopes of a MINI run with C3M tomorrow.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Shoveled the driveway in hopes of a MINI run with C3M tomorrow.
Missing that run, have fun! Dropping my Mini off at AB Installations to have checkered sunroof graphics installed. See ya at the next one, can't wait!!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
OK I did manage to do something. The motoring badges Jim got me for X-mas came in yesterday, so I cleaned off the hatch and put 2 of them in place.

Name:  IMG_0239.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  95.5 KB

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
I love the badges, Al!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnW94
I love the badges, Al!
Thanks John!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
hard wired and installed my V1 into Yoda today. 2 weeks of driving without it was making me crazy.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Picked up a drawbar at UHaul for the receiver hitch I put on a couple weekends ago. They were the only local place that had one long enough. It's the Ron Jeremy of 1.25" drawbars!

Afterwards, I towed a friend's motorcycle trailer to pick up a nice leather sofa I'd found on craigslist to replace the *tired* futon in my living room.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at how well Nudnik pulled a trailer. I got a *lot* of looks of disbelief from the muggles that seemed to ask, "how can that tiny car possibly pull a trailer?"

C ya,
Dutch

Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
I got a *lot* of looks of disbelief from the muggles that seemed to ask, "how can that tiny car possibly pull a trailer?"
hahahahahaha that's a good one!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by amancuso
OK I did manage to do something. The motoring badges Jim got me for X-mas came in yesterday, so I cleaned off the hatch and put 2 of them in place.

Nice badges!

I see plenty of Jersey plates out here and don’t think I’ve ever seen one with vegetables on it. And, would you know how NJ came to be known as the “Garden State”?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Created a paper and cardboard mock up of an iPad mount for my mini. Trying to figure out how to fabricate it on the chiz-eap and where to get the materials.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?