General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to see you got it done IQ!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
I installed new LCA bushings, new front sway bar bushings, new serpentine belt, new KONI FSD shocks, IE Fixed Camber Plates, and new BGF G-Force Sport tires. My mini needed some TLC...and it got it

It's amazing how well it rides now. Before with the worn out bushings, stock shocks, and runflats.....it literally felt like it had no suspension at all. The ride was so harsh, I was constantly telling my passengers "sorry, but this thing rides really rough. Now it's a totally different car.....it's amazing!!!!

Here are some pictures!

What Size tires and wheels do you have on there? Are they stock? Did use Plastic Dip? I'm liking the look.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Wow, that's a complete overhaul! I can imagine that it made a huge difference.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
I installed new LCA bushings, new front sway bar bushings, new serpentine belt, new KONI FSD shocks, IE Fixed Camber Plates, and new BGF G-Force Sport tires. My mini needed some TLC...and it got it

It's amazing how well it rides now. Before with the worn out bushings, stock shocks, and runflats.....it literally felt like it had no suspension at all. The ride was so harsh, I was constantly telling my passengers "sorry, but this thing rides really rough. Now it's a totally different car.....it's amazing!!!!

Here are some pictures!

Nice...What size are those wheels and tires? I like the matte black also. I'm thinking of getting a 225 50 16 on my stock wheels. I put on 215 50 16 on the rears, it looks nice but I want it a little bit wider.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures!

I've had these two done on mine. *BIG* difference.
Can't wait to get a bigger rear sway and some lowering springs going on.
Budgets....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Dale check out the Swift springs. They are less than $500.00 have about an inch of drop and a BIG improovement in handling. Pretty sure you can order them in your choice of spring rates too. Combine that with a rear 19mm some adjustable end links and maby some Koni yellows, and youre suspension will be set for MITM this year.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Hey Dale check out the Swift springs. They are less than $500.00 have about an inch of drop and a BIG improovement in handling. Pretty sure you can order them in your choice of spring rates too. Combine that with a rear 19mm some adjustable end links and maby some Koni yellows, and youre suspension will be set for MITM this year.
These?

I have been ogling the green H&R springs, since H&R has a good rep, and (yes, I admit it) because the springs are green....

They look like *really* nice springs. I just put a pair of stock struts on the back in mid-November (the same day your pulley and the BSH lower motor/trans mount went in), since the originals were leaking a bit. In December, the completely shot lower-control arm bushings got upgraded to poly, and a week or two later, I put in a new coolant reservoir. I'm getting a new passenger-side axle next Friday, new pads/rotors all around when my tax return arrives (the Redstuff kit from Way Motorworks, most likely) and two new tires some indefinite time in the future, but soon, since they're down to the wear bars and will be slicks soon. Weather may determine the date on that.... Maybe if I get ahead of the little maintenance/repair stuff I'll be able to snag a set.

I should be saving a big pile on my spring cooling bills, though, since I *finally* finished last year's swamp cooler install. The ductwork got done last week, and the plumbing and wiring got finished up today. That should save me several hundred dollars by July, which means that if I manage to remain GF-free in the interim, chances are pretty decent I'll get up to MiTM and be rolling on nice, new springs....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Those will work. I am pretty sure that if you call them they can do a custom set in different rates/drop's, and maby a little cheaper. With stock or factory replacement struts, and no camber correction I wouldn't recomend lowering your car more than an inch. We have verry little suspension travel from the factory as it is.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Those will work. I am pretty sure that if you call them they can do a custom set in different rates/drop's, and maby a little cheaper. With stock or factory replacement struts, and no camber correction I wouldn't recomend lowering your car more than an inch. We have verry little suspension travel from the factory as it is.
I wouldn't want more than an inch of drop.

I have the IE fixed camber plates, but I imagine they correct in the opposite direction than is needed.

I've got plenty of time to think about 'em before I do the deal, though....

Budgets suck....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Tell me about it! I had to put my gun budget on hold until I can get a new motor. This is the first year since I turned 18 that I wont be buying a new firearm with my tax return. Its a crying shame.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
joey mod

Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
xstartxtodayx
3rd Gear
whoa, that looks really good I'm normally not a fan of the blacked out joey mod style, esp. on lighter colored cars since it usually looks too dramatic and cheap, but I think your color choice looks pretty awesome.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by xstartxtodayx
whoa, that looks really good I'm normally not a fan of the blacked out joey mod style, esp. on lighter colored cars since it usually looks too dramatic and cheap, but I think your color choice looks pretty awesome.
thanks! yeah i def didn't want to do black, i see it everywhere and on my car it wouldn't fit right.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
ROOSEY
4th Gear
today i put some rpf1's on my mini wrapped in kuhmo v100's for the upcomming autox's this summer, was somewhat of a pain though since the wheels didnt fit at first but thanks to some searching on this forum i got them to fit perfect.

whatcha guys think?! the wheels are 15's..kinda small but i love them. next purchase will be coilovers to hide some of that wheel gap and really hug those corners but for new my tien springs will work just fine.

the kuhmos are nasty, so sticky they sound like winter studs on the pavement

literally centimeters seperate the inside of these wheels from the front brake caliper its almost scary haha

Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ROOSEY
today i put some rpf1's on my mini wrapped in kuhmo v100's for the upcomming autox's this summer, was somewhat of a pain though since the wheels didnt fit at first but thanks to some searching on this forum i got them to fit perfect.

whatcha guys think?! the wheels are 15's..kinda small but i love them. next purchase will be coilovers to hide some of that wheel gap and really hug those corners but for new my tien springs will work just fine.

the kuhmos are nasty, so sticky they sound like winter studs on the pavement

literally centimeters seperate the inside of these wheels from the front brake caliper its almost scary haha

looks nice. wish they were 16s to fill in the wheel well. you should tryout some spacers to help with the clearance and give it a nicer stance.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
ROOSEY
4th Gear
i was thinking spacers too. i have some 1in spacers but those were for my stock wheels itll throw these ones out way too much. its crazy cuz the 15's made my car pretty damn low...and i feel like if i go lower with coils(about another inch to clear up that wheel gap)...welll i dont know if thats possible haha

im gunna look into some spacers maybe 1/2in ones.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I think it looks great. Deffenatly needs a drop though. 15's Really are the way to go unless you need to use larger due to bigger brakes. Whats the size specs on those tires?

Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Webhead68
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced the passenger side turn signal/marker light. What a PITA that was having to pull off the bumper cover to get to the assembly. What's interesting is if you look at the picture you will notice that "R53 US" is written on the aluminum bumper assembly underneath. I thought that was pretty neat.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er_media_share

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er_media_share

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
ROOSEY
4th Gear
I think it looks great. Deffenatly needs a drop though. 15's Really are the way to go unless you need to use larger due to bigger brakes. Whats the size specs on those tires?

thanks! the tires are 205/50/15's kuhmo v700 victoracers

im selling a set of BBS R90 wheels with tires if anyones interested. i need cash for coils and a rear sway bar

Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide

looks awesome!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
Took my Mini on it's first trip to Vermont! Stayed surprisingly clean compared to other weeks I've gone with my truck or in my friends cars

What did you do to your mini today?-xcn4o.jpg
What did you do to your mini today?-xw1mq.jpg

Got some battle scars though, my board fell while I was changing and took a little sliver out of the aero kit side skirt, it caused me a bit of emotional pain, but I picked up some touch up paint from my dealer, it'll be all better tomorrow.

Also, I definitely underestimated the noise created by having 2 snowboards up top (only one seen) but there was definitely a big difference as compared to no rack, more than I expected.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
drove him in the rain for the first time ---

Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Drove mine in the snow and ice for the first time... RJ,,,, Not much to say, but got stuck in front of the house with unplowed streets...

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Love the fact that BLACK was not involve! Should make more Motoring brain cells ponder the use of COLOR! So many cars,,, So many colors...
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?