General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where did you get that lip?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhoIsPurpleGoo
FYI, Contigo's West Loop 16 oz travel mug fits perfectly in the cup holders
My 16 oz Contigo travel mug blocks the window switches AND can activate the seat-heaters!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311
Where did you get that lip?

It is a NM Engineering carbon fiber front lip that I ordered through Way Motor Works.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
James, you're just having too much fun.
Can't wait to see it at Saturday's run.

Dave

Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
James, you're just having too much fun.
Can't wait to see it at Saturday's run.

Dave
Looking forward to it.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put a nice dent in the roof with my bike pedal when the bike frame slipped out of the rack. Guess I didn't have it clamped down right. Not happy.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
Put a nice dent in the roof with my bike pedal when the bike frame slipped out of the rack. Guess I didn't have it clamped down right. Not happy.
I feel your pain. My baby goes to the body shop Monday morning to have 3 roof dents, two bulges and numerous gouges removed (roof is being completely repainted) since I drove my car into the garage last Thursday with my bike strapped to the roof.

I haven't had this happen in the 15+ years I've been mountain biking, but an unnatural post-ride high, good music, and an eagerness to chow, and my absent-mindedness got the better of me...and my MINI.

Bike took minimal damage, but since the racks ripped out of their slots, the car took the biggest hit. Unfortunately, due to the locations and types of dents, my PDR guy was helpless. Roof dents can be tricky due to the the lack of access, support braces, and curvatures.

Hope you can get it fixed.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate
I feel your pain. My baby goes to the body shop Monday morning to have 3 roof dents, two bulges and numerous gouges removed (roof is being completely repainted) since I drove my car into the garage last Thursday with my bike strapped to the roof.

I haven't had this happen in the 15+ years I've been mountain biking, but an unnatural post-ride high, good music, and an eagerness to chow, and my absent-mindedness got the better of me...and my MINI.

Bike took minimal damage, but since the racks ripped out of their slots, the car took the biggest hit. Unfortunately, due to the locations and types of dents, my PDR guy was helpless. Roof dents can be tricky due to the the lack of access, support braces, and curvatures.

Hope you can get it fixed.
That will put an end to the after-ride high fairly quickly! I've done that one before too but luckily it was on the old Saturn. It tore the rack apart and off the roof. No damage to the bikes to speak of. It's amazing how strong bikes are! I'm lucky because both of my bikes clear the garage door while on top of the Mini so I can just leave them on the car and go again in the morning.

I'm thinking my dent will end up being a bondo job. I just hope they don't have to spray the entire roof because I just had the clear-bra at the front edge put on.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
That will put an end to the after-ride high fairly quickly! I've done that one before too but luckily it was on the old Saturn. It tore the rack apart and off the roof. No damage to the bikes to speak of. It's amazing how strong bikes are! I'm lucky because both of my bikes clear the garage door while on top of the Mini so I can just leave them on the car and go again in the morning.

I'm thinking my dent will end up being a bondo job. I just hope they don't have to spray the entire roof because I just had the clear-bra at the front edge put on.
If it requires bondo (and consequently painting and feathering of the color coat), most likely they're going want to clear coat the entire roof afterward. What makes you think a PDR won't work?

And by the way, I am envious of your high-roofed garage. I'd love to be able to leave my bike on between rides or even have it mounted the night before an early morning ride.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Asequui
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Torri91
Asequui I see that you are in Austin, TX as well have you been out to the MINI Cooper car club of Austin? BTW, I know what you mean... I am dying to black out my head/tail light rings but I am scared if I get them off, I won't be able to put them back on!
Not yet! I've joined online but haven't been to a meetup just yet.
LOL, that was one of the things I was afraid of removing the original white caps - that I would break something and not be able to attach the new ones. Then it turned into a shouting match with the white caps and trying an assortment of "tools" before I found one that worked.
Know what worked in 15 seconds flat with no scratches? An absinthe spoon, of all things. Knew that thing would come in handy for something someday...

Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
I had somebody else do sumpin'... Photo shop that outer silver ring off my front wheel so I can compare the two. Any thoughts?
I love the silver ring!

Originally Posted by KMPSSBL
LOL! I'm right there with you! But hubby taught me how to change my oil already on my last car

I replaced the stock amber side markers with clear ones Monday, and he was in the garage snappin' pics of me on his phone cuz he was just so impressed with how I was able to snap off the scuttles and do it myself! He was also proud of the fact that I put on my own rear badge myself lol
Yes, I am proud of myself though

On another note, I just ordered Indi some of those roof rack mounting hole covers, seeing as the previous owner only had 1, and it was yellowed :/
Honestly, it was two things that decided me doing it: A) Dealership was gonna charge me $55 to do it. B) I'm stubborn and the darned things had irritated me. They were coming off whether they wanted to or not.

Can't wait to see pics of your new markers!
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
I kissed her for getting me to work successfully today, after she stalled out at a stop sign during last night's commute. Had Dr. appointment Monday!

she'd been threatening to stall over the last several months at the very SAME stop sign, then she'd be fine for a while. Last night she decided I wasn't listening to her, so she stalled, effectively getting me to call the dealership! thank God for warranties...
Wow, that's really odd that she's only doing it at one particular stop sign and nowhere else. What's around that sign?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Duck Lewis
1st Gear
Spiffed up Nigel (new name!) for his job tomorrow as the sweep car for our local Tweed Ride.

http://tweedridetc.tumblr.com/post/2...er-who-will-be

Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck Lewis
Spiffed up Nigel (new name!) for his job tomorrow as the sweep car for our local Tweed Ride.

http://tweedridetc.tumblr.com/post/2...er-who-will-be
I love that you used the eyeshade pic for the helpful Coop. Nigel looks eager to help!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kirby11
I love that you used the eyeshade pic for the helpful Coop. Nigel looks eager to help!
I agree. That is just the cutest pic! Love the eyeshades, may have to get some, now...

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KMPSSBL
LOL! I'm right there with you! But hubby taught me how to change my oil already on my last car

I replaced the stock amber side markers with clear ones Monday, and he was in the garage snappin' pics of me on his phone cuz he was just so impressed with how I was able to snap off the scuttles and do it myself! He was also proud of the fact that I put on my own rear badge myself lol
Yes, I am proud of myself though

On another note, I just ordered Indi some of those roof rack mounting hole covers, seeing as the previous owner only had 1, and it was yellowed :/
Maybe we need to start a group for women who don't mind getting their hands dirty for the sake of their car.
I am thinking about tackling changing the turbo oil lines. I have in the past on other vehicles done some routine maintenance and replaced some things on my own with the help of a Haynes manual. Haynes tells me by the way that one for my year MCS should be out at, I believe, the end of June. These manuals are about $20.00 and fairly simple. Don't know if it is worth dishing out the $ for a Bentley manual for the amount of stuff I am willing to tackle.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
The M7 Tuning carbon fiber C-Wing went on this afternoon.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
MinMin - that MINI of yours is looking pretty tight these days.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Thanks.

Late next week I will be installing the 3D Design carbon fiber rear diffuser and new custom-made HID headlights.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Today I taunted my MINI with a new set of Continental ExtremeContact DW 215/45/17s. They won't go on for another month since my OE Pirelli PZero RFs haven't run out , but at 18K miles... my patience with RFs has long run out!

Couldn't pass up Discount Tire Direct's deal earlier this month ($524, free shipping, no sales tax, and $100 mail-in rebate - $424 to my door.)

Name:  tiresedt.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate

Great pic! Wish I could afford wheels/tires this summer. Got some fresh Hankook vetus all seasons though

Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
Great pic! Wish I could afford wheels/tires this summer. Got some fresh Hankook vetus all seasons though
Tires + soon-to-be-repaired roof has made this one, very expensive month. Accidentally running my bike into my garage last week is costing me as much as a new set of tires + rear sway bar - doh! The RSB is going to have to wait.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 PM
azjustin1973
Neutral
It is a good idea for a thread...all I did for Microburst today was drive it to and from work....picked up some canned air to do a little detailing on it...sunroof track, vents and stuff. One of the bad things about living in the desert is all the DUST that gets into the car!

It should look great at the Pavilions car show MINI club gathering tomorrow afternoon!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM
italchef
1st Gear
I installed a gobadges holder and badge about 2 weeks ago, and yesterday I put in a sprintbooster. Wow, what a difference that makes. I'm not much for mods but the acceleration lag was really getting to me especially off the line and downshifting into corners. Now the car exceeds my expectations.
By the way, her name, after mulling it over for the better part of a month, is Raquel.

Mike

Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 AM
KMPSSBL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by azjustin1973
It is a good idea for a thread...all I did for Microburst today was drive it to and from work....picked up some canned air to do a little detailing on it...sunroof track, vents and stuff. One of the bad things about living in the desert is all the DUST that gets into the car!

It should look great at the Pavilions car show MINI club gathering tomorrow afternoon!
I might be showing up! Just look for the lonely girl in the blue MINI on truck tires lol. Not sure what time I'm gonna go though. Can't wait til my hubby can stop working Sat. nights so he can bring his red MINI as well

Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
CarbonMINI Carbon Fiber Mirrors

I'll have to get around to taking some better pics, but this cell phone pic will have to do for now.

My CM got tint and a set of CARBONMINI carbon fiber mirror caps (full replacement). I'm excited for my CARBONMINI carbon fiber door handle's to arrive next week.

Name:  daaa7b46.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  181.1 KB

Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
CARBONMINI has some good stuff. I have a few of their products on my '09 MCS.

check out the link.
http://www.carbonmini.com/#!may

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?