General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice looking ****! Simple does it best.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Nice looking ****! Simple does it best.
OK so I haven't read the previous thread because this comment shows up on a different page... but DICKS GARAGE R53 just made a comment on someone's ****. haha

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Nrob
Added a little something extra to my Whalen...
Tomorrow it is off to get the sunroof rattle fixed...again. And then rotate the tires and wax the wheels.
My nearest dealership basically told me to get used to it...the sunroof rattle will not go away. On my receipt it says "cannot duplicate". On the drive home, the sunroof rattled as soon as I opened it and drove down the street. Time for me to go to a different dealer.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added a little something extra to my Whalen...
Very nice! Sadly, in AZ, a metal shift **** is out of the question, unless I start wearing an oven mitt....

My 14-ball stays relatively cool even when Nudnik's been parked out in the sun all day in the 110 degree heat....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry but Im mega-sceptical about anyone claiming 50MPG on a Cooper. TDI VW, yes. MINI - no.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Sorry but Im mega-sceptical about anyone claiming 50MPG on a Cooper. TDI VW, yes. MINI - no.
Maybe it was all downhill driving I concur, however. Or they had a strong tailwind...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear

Little Wing is getting a Whalen shift ****.
Just finalizing the details.

Name:  R563.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  21.5 KB

Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleWing
Removed the yellow air bag warning stickers from the visors, using rubbing alcohol.
They came off cleanly, but it's very obvious that something was there. The vinyl underneath where the stickers were is much lighter than the rest of the visor.
Looking into a way to rectify that.
It's still an improvement over those ugly stickers!
They have irritated me for almost 3 years.

Rubbing Alcohol! wow! glad someone figured it out! ive been staring at those dumb things for 2 years now! lol. Actually, just monday, i used some black vinyl wrap to cover the things up. it works ok, its a lil darker than the visor, but the heat wants to pull it away from the edges.

I will try the alcohol thing next! Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
What I did on Monday:

Vinyl wrapped the little plastic covers on the seat levers (that tilt the seat back / forwards). I dont need a picture to show me how to work my seats!

Removed the "Airbag" tags from my seats. That took a while, I had to use a razor and painstakingly slice away, as not to tear up the seats threads.

Removed the boots "string" holders, for the rear boot cover. I dont use that cover, and those string holders are kinda 'in my way' when i look out the rear view mirror. I used some screws in place of the holders, as the originals hold in that trim piece.

Installed a switch in place of the passenger airbag light, located on the ceiling, btwn the 2 reading lights. that was a bit of a chore. had to take the whole thing apart, drill and dremel it, then vinyl wrap over the lettering. if someone else does this, you have to put the little LED back into its harness, or your passenger airbag light will turn on on the speedo instead!

i never use the 12v socket for anything, other than power when the car is on. since mine doesnt have a light even, i took that thing out completely. I then used the idea for the door caps, and went to Lowes, got a 1" vinyl cap, and slapped that right over the hole! looks good!

I also got Brand New RIMS! in black, only bc one of my stock rims had a nice big Crack in it!! :( so, another $500 on top of the tire price... most expensive tire job ever! $1350!!! :P

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drove 300 miles to pic up the mini in effingham IL. The mini being driven back from Texas hit a pot hole and the driver side run flat lost a battle that resulted in a stuck Mrs. Sidewalk, daughter and puppy. Rescued family but not car as there were no tires available for replacement until 3PM the next day

As we hated the RF tires had two Conti DWS (205-45-17) added to the front wheels ordered em up found out I am doing a front brake job in the next two weeks and drove up and back to fetch the now functional car. Driving back following the mini with the top down (while my top was also down) was almost a fun trip considering

Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
Rubbing Alcohol! wow! glad someone figured it out! ive been staring at those dumb things for 2 years now! lol. Actually, just monday, i used some black vinyl wrap to cover the things up. it works ok, its a lil darker than the visor, but the heat wants to pull it away from the edges.

I will try the alcohol thing next! Thanks!
A really organized person made this great tutorial.
I read it carefully.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rom-visor.html
I didn't follow the directions exactly.
I didn't remove my visors, but flipped them so that the stickers faced up, then I lay really wet (with rubbing alcohol) paper towels over the stickers for about 30 minutes. I did re-wet the paper towels a couple of times.
I used tweezers to carefully and slowly pull the stickers off, re-wetting them as needed.
I couldn't believe how easy it was.

And now I have new stickers coming for the visors so I didn't need to remove the warning labels!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Maybe Euro imperior MPG?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
50 MPG How the HECK did you manage THAT
Long(-ish) freeway trip, cruise control set at 55 MPH, coast down hills that were steep enough to not lose speed. And not slowing down for corners.

Yes, it's real US MPG from a completely stock US-spec 2012 Cooper. (But with higher pressure in the tires.) I've been pulling 50s in my daily commute as well, but that requires more "extreme measures".

I got to 520 miles with four carrots left on the fuel gauge. By the time I got to 540, I was down to three carrots. I doubt I'll make 600 before it gets to the two red carrots, but I can hope.

This is one of the ways I enjoy my Cooper.

(Oh, and I found out the other weekend that redline in third gear is 90 MPH. And much lower MPG than that!! )

Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
sure your computer isnt set to Kilometers per gallon

Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
My clutch kit arrived after just ordering it yesterday! I'm speechless about that.

Won't be starting the project for a bit, but the tools and parts are in the garage.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Long(-ish) freeway trip, cruise control set at 55 MPH, coast down hills that were steep enough to not lose speed. And not slowing down for corners.

Yes, it's real US MPG from a completely stock US-spec 2012 Cooper. (But with higher pressure in the tires.) I've been pulling 50s in my daily commute as well, but that requires more "extreme measures".

I got to 520 miles with four carrots left on the fuel gauge. By the time I got to 540, I was down to three carrots. I doubt I'll make 600 before it gets to the two red carrots, but I can hope.

This is one of the ways I enjoy my Cooper.

(Oh, and I found out the other weekend that redline in third gear is 90 MPH. And much lower MPG than that!! )
i believe you got 50MPG.

my last tank in my CMS All4 i got 41MPG @ 55MPH a 200 mile out and back trip over the same route

using cruise is mandatory

scott

Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
walk0080, maybe thats your cue to change out the springs for 1973 Cadillac and just float on down the highway, no rattles, no worries, ............. no handling .............LOL. That would be your fathers Caddy, wouldn't it? A CTS-V it isnt .............
Okay, but seriously, yea, time for a new dealer. You drove it off the lot and the noise was back and they couldn't find it with both hands and a flashlight? hmmmmmmmm, where has the quality of BMW gone? The e boys are having major issues as well, one of my friends has an e-128 and they are having charging problems and strange "here-today-gone-in-fifteen-minutes" transmission failure warnings and all sortsa neat gremlins. Really sad ...............

Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Installed my Proclip phone mount. Looks good can't wait to start using it. Now I am getting one for my BMW too.
Name:  2012-06-06_20-09-44_292.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  80.6 KB

Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM
AliceCooper01
Neutral
Put on new white racing stripes with black pinstripe sides on the bonnet, transferred my magnetic white bonnet stripes to boot (after trimming to fit) ahhhhh she is BEAUTIFUL! Can't stop looking at her and smiling!!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by AliceCooper01
Put on new white racing stripes with black pinstripe sides on the bonnet, transferred my magnetic white bonnet stripes to boot (after trimming to fit) ahhhhh she is BEAUTIFUL! Can't stop looking at her and smiling!!
Get used to that smile.
I've still got mine after almost 3 years.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Nrob
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
OK so I haven't read the previous thread because this comment shows up on a different page... but DICKS GARAGE R53 just made a comment on someone's ****. haha

EDIT:

My nearest dealership basically told me to get used to it...the sunroof rattle will not go away. On my receipt it says "cannot duplicate". On the drive home, the sunroof rattled as soon as I opened it and drove down the street. Time for me to go to a different dealer.
I have been fighting the sunroof rattle for a couple years now. Dealer never has been able to fix it. However when I brought the car in to a body shop to get the hail damage fixed I mentioned the rattle. When I got the car back there was a new even louder rattle! I went back yesterday and that was just a loose washer. I have yet to hear the original rattle that has been driving me nuts for years though... But that really only shows up when it's cold. So we'll see in a couple months if that comes back. Don't you love the sunroof? Won't open when it's hot and rattles when it's cold!

Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Very nice! Sadly, in AZ, a metal shift **** is out of the question, unless I start wearing an oven mitt....

My 14-ball stays relatively cool even when Nudnik's been parked out in the sun all day in the 110 degree heat....

C ya,
Dutch
Same problem here! It just looks to good to not use. I have to put a cover over it on the really hot or the really cold days.

The things we do for our cars!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I have been fighting the sunroof rattle for a couple years now. Dealer never has been able to fix it. However when I brought the car in to a body shop to get the hail damage fixed I mentioned the rattle. When I got the car back there was a new even louder rattle! I went back yesterday and that was just a loose washer. I have yet to hear the original rattle that has been driving me nuts for years though... But that really only shows up when it's cold. So we'll see in a couple months if that comes back. Don't you love the sunroof? Won't open when it's hot and rattles when it's cold!

Same problem here! It just looks to good to not use. I have to put a cover over it on the really hot or the really cold days.

The things we do for our cars!
Nrob-
You had hail damage?
We have a NAM member who's new CM got hit hard last night.
Sounds traumatic, no pics up yet.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1473-hail.html

I need to motor over to the gas station and then the grocery store.
Maybe later...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Nrob
3rd Gear
I think the whole STL area had hail damage! I work at a hotel and we were sold out for a month straight just from all the insurance adjusters in town. This was about a month and a half ago. Softball size hail in some parts, biggest I've ever seen. Looked like a war zone after the storm because of all the broken glass. Of corse my MINI was not at home in the garage, but out in the street at a friends. The worst part was just looking out the window at my poor car getting pelted. Luckily there was no softball size in my friends neighborhood, but golfball size for sure. But that's why we have insurance! I was lucky to get mine in to a shop this soon, the body shops are soooo backed up around here. My MINI had around 3,500 worth of damage on the roof and bonnet. But after getting back from the body shop and finally getting a wash she looks great once more!

PS If I hear one more car dealership ad on the radio that says anything about having a "hail of a sale" I'm going to freak!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Just installed my new HID headlights from Performance Auto Solutions (formerly Black Flame Customs).

I still have to wire in the Halos, but I will have my local MINI Tech take care of that.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Received my Rota RBs today. Took them and the tires to a mechanic friend of mine who will put them on and balance them. So exciting!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
KMPSSBL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Snaps
Received my Rota RBs today. Took them and the tires to a mechanic friend of mine who will put them on and balance them. So exciting!
My husband has those on his MINI

As far as my MINI, I had to re-order a new roof rack cap cuz one fell flew off on the I-17 on my way up to Flagstaff last week :( $17 for the set (cheapest I could find), but they're sending a new one free of charge. Now I just gotta figure out a way to better secure those things, cuz apparently the slide and lock feature isn't cutting it. I removed the other 3 before going back down the mountain, cuz I guess 80mph is too fast for those little guys

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?