General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Helped a friend install his M7 pre-intercooler charge pipe back onto his MCS.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally changed my brakes and rotors. Wasn't comfortable flushing the brakes tho. While at it, installed the Evolve de-cat downpipe. That lower heatshield was a pain to take off!

Also switched the 5mm spacers to 15mm. Better.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
Finally changed my brakes and rotors. Wasn't comfortable flushing the brakes tho. While at it, installed the Evolve de-cat downpipe. That lower heatshield was a pain to take off!

Also switched the 5mm spacers to 15mm. Better.

What kind of brakes/rotors did you use?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Mini

What kind of brakes/rotors did you use?
I found some StopTech rotors at Tire Rack and went with the EBC Redstuff.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just unwrapped my winter wheel/tire setup from Tirerack! Kinda sad that now I can't wait or the snow.

What did you do to your mini today?-image-2979525251.jpg

Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
Finally got around to installing my Spec-D halo-headlights.

Man, I like those. I don't have Xenons on my Cooper and always regretted not getting them. Found yours at Pro Tuning Lab and have a couple questions - forgive me since I don't know much about the options... What is the warning canceler? I've de-yoked my current headlights and want to do the same with these. Would the warning canceler do the same thing or could I take my current signal bulbs and put them in the new set. Also, the halos are activated when you switch to parking lights or are they set up as a DRL?

I like the 6000K HID option and would like every bulb on the front end to match (parking & fogs). What would I need to look for? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxed it...again!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
The other day I was getting the bugs off the wind/bug screen for the sunroof and put an inch long tear in it. I'd never really touched the thing before so I mistakenly thought it was the same toughness as the sun shade...

So today, I took the whole thing off. Much better. And cleaner looking although I'll have that wa wa effect with the windows up and the sunroofs slid back.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Finished the supercharger swap.

My old one had a build-date sticker 13/01/03 (January 13, 2003), and it had the gray teflon coating on its innards. The "new" used replacement has an '02 build date (didn't write it down) and has shiny clean un-coated rotors, and makes about 1 - 1.5 PSI less boost (need to do more extensive testing with the lead foot).

At least I have a running car for a very low investment in the part, though.

Now that I've bought myself some time, I'll have to start saving up for a Sprintex, I guess....

C ya,
Dutch

UPDATE: replacement's build date: May 2002

Last edited by joe_bfstplk; 10-11-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: update....
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Finished the supercharger swap.

My old one had a build-date sticker 13/01/03 (January 13, 2003), and it had the gray teflon coating on its innards. The "new" used replacement has an '02 build date (didn't write it down) and has shiny clean un-coated rotors, and makes about 1 - 1.5 PSI less boost (need to do more extensive testing with the lead foot).

At least I have a running car for a very low investment in the part, though.

Now that I've bought myself some time, I'll have to start saving up for a Sprintex, I guess....

C ya,
Dutch
Or a TVS... They are coming and will eat the Sprintex alive.

A running car is always better than a parked and broken car, you know how I know.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Or a TVS... They are coming and will eat the Sprintex alive.

A running car is always better than a parked and broken car, you know how I know.
Hmmm.... I'm seeing threads on this going back to 2006, but no solid info yet. Hopefully someone's worked out the kinks by now and has one sized appropriately to work conservatively on the MINI with a pulley that will net around 14-15 PSI, so that it should work ok with the JCW tune I have in there currently.

C ya,
Dutch

Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You will need more than the JCW tune even with the Sprintex Dale. The TVS R900 kit is being made right now. Things started moving quicker when EATON released the SC to the aftermarket after years of waiting.

Only problem is... The shop bringing it into production cant even post here. A long long time ago, I got them banned. Carma can S**K IT!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Joey Mojo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Man, I like those. I don't have Xenons on my Cooper and always regretted not getting them. Found yours at Pro Tuning Lab and have a couple questions - forgive me since I don't know much about the options... What is the warning canceler? I've de-yoked my current headlights and want to do the same with these. Would the warning canceler do the same thing or could I take my current signal bulbs and put them in the new set. Also, the halos are activated when you switch to parking lights or are they set up as a DRL?

I like the 6000K HID option and would like every bulb on the front end to match (parking & fogs). What would I need to look for? Thanks in advance!
The warning canceler ignores the "bulb out" warning that comes with some aftermarket products.

I've de-yoked my stock bi-xenons as well. As far as I can tell, you cannot change the blinkers with the same size as the stock bulbs. I haven't taken the units apart yet, so I'm not exactly sure. You will, however, need to rewire the new headlights for the halo to work. The instructions and materials were included in my package. I haven't done the rewiring yet on mine. I'm not sure yet, but I would guess that the halos work as city lights as well as working with the driving lights.

I got the 6000K setup, which ALMOST match my parking lights. I would do some research for parking and fog lights after you have installed the new headlamps.

Downsides:
These headlights are not equipped with hi-beam capability.
The 6000K option, to me, looks dimmer than the stock bi-xenons.
The wires are exposed/loose and need to be secured. Since I have the stock bi-xenons with power washers, I have to redirect the flow of the headlight squirters. I plan on connecting more tubing to make an intercooler/radiator mister.

Hope this info helps!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
You will need more than the JCW tune even with the Sprintex Dale. The TVS R900 kit is being made right now. Things started moving quicker when EATON released the SC to the aftermarket after years of waiting.

Only problem is... The shop bringing it into production cant even post here. A long long time ago, I got them banned. Carma can S**K IT!
Your karma ran over your dogma, eh?

I'm set for a while. The "new" M45 has 60k miles on it. I flushed the snout and water pump gears, and re-filled with fresh supercharger oil sourced from the Chevy dealer's parts counter. Hopefully I can save up the required money for whichever kit and tuning goodies by the time I need to replace this one.

I am down about a PSI or so as compared to before the swap (due to the lack of teflon-coated innards in the "new" charger), but it's working. I'd like to get back up over 14 PSI like it was before, but I don't see going much past 15 PSI with a Sprintex or TVS system. I don't want to *make* that much more power--200HP at the wheels would be more than enough to keep me happy. I'd just like to *waste less* and maybe get a little extra MPG out of the deal if I go easy on the go pedal. Remember, this is my daily driver....

C ya,
Dutch

Last edited by joe_bfstplk; 10-09-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: to fix inappropriately censored word using different phrase....
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM
CooperS84
3rd Gear
I took my car in for service.. getting the walnut shell treatment for carbon build up and a tune up.. will pick it up tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had Jan at RMW tune it today. Just need to get the Forge BOV and some water-meth for some more powa!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Swimbaxter
4th Gear
Today I installed a splitter. I am sure I have now shaved at leasts two seconds off my make believe hot laps around the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Last edited by Swimbaxter; 05-09-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Plasti dipped the mirror caps and door handles... and fixed some of the plasti dip that I messed up on, on the grille. Put the spare tire I got yesterday behind the passenger seat as well.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 AM
hrhpob
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DRoc7822
Plasti dipped the mirror caps and door handles... and fixed some of the plasti dip that I messed up on, on the grille. Put the spare tire I got yesterday behind the passenger seat as well.
Hi:
Anypics as to how the spare tire mounting looks?...Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Swimbaxter
Today I installed a splitter. I am sure I have now shaved at leasts two seconds off my make believe hot laps around the neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hrhpob
Hi:
Here's how it looks on mine - which can be considered both "what I did to my Mini today", as well as a "dorky cheapskate modification".. Note that there's also a small black bag o' tools hidden in the cavity between the spare tire's rim and the seatback.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed my new grill badge from GoBadges...

...and their "Black Jack" carbon fiber stub-antennae. Will be testing reception on a trip to the historic Grist Mill Resaurant in "historic" Gruene Texas (that's pronounced "Green" for you Auslanders).

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joey Mojo
The warning canceler ignores the "bulb out" warning that comes with some aftermarket products.

I've de-yoked my stock bi-xenons as well. As far as I can tell, you cannot change the blinkers with the same size as the stock bulbs. I haven't taken the units apart yet, so I'm not exactly sure. You will, however, need to rewire the new headlights for the halo to work. The instructions and materials were included in my package. I haven't done the rewiring yet on mine. I'm not sure yet, but I would guess that the halos work as city lights as well as working with the driving lights.

I got the 6000K setup, which ALMOST match my parking lights. I would do some research for parking and fog lights after you have installed the new headlamps.

Downsides:
These headlights are not equipped with hi-beam capability.
The 6000K option, to me, looks dimmer than the stock bi-xenons.
The wires are exposed/loose and need to be secured. Since I have the stock bi-xenons with power washers, I have to redirect the flow of the headlight squirters. I plan on connecting more tubing to make an intercooler/radiator mister.

Hope this info helps!
Hugely helpful so thanks for the detail. If I go for these, I would likely have someone install them and figure out how to de-yoke them, too. I can't go back to orange...

Glad you shared that the 6K option isn't as bright as stock bi-xenon. What I want is a white headlight, not yellowish like my halogens and not blueish either. The 8K option seems like it may be leaning towards blue to me, but I'm not sure.

I'm really surprised that there's no high beam. Not the worst thing for me since I have driving lights, but strange that it doesn't have them.

Could you possibly post a pic with the headlights and fog lights on?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hrhpob
Hi:
Hello! Spare really isnt mounted to anything. I just put it behind the passenger seat and slide the seat all the way back so it wouldnt fly forward when stopping.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Just had to raise the rear about 1/4" due to rub issues after the coils settled

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?