General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
jay80424
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did an oil & filter change, and tried to drill out the bolt I snapped off removing the skidplate.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this was what i did yesterday: front WMW rotors and green stuff pads
Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  128.2 KB

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 AM
mastermason11
2nd Gear
Installed my Helix FMIC yesterday and remap with my AP to Stage 1 FMIC 91 Oct.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 AM
05Whitey_Bulger
2nd Gear
New K&N drop in filter, plugs, plug wires, belt and oil change! Done all before noon! Feeling good about getting some tune up stuff out of the way.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
jroland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 05Whitey_Bulger
New K&N drop in filter, plugs, plug wires, belt and oil change! Done all before noon! Feeling good about getting some tune up stuff out of the way.
Have always debated about the drop-in vs CAI. I have a K&N drop in on the shelf and NM Hi Flow system installed. Any opinion over which is better?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
A4Some
2nd Gear
Just installed a space saver spare tire kit. Thanks to Don at MiniMania for a good deal!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM
05Whitey_Bulger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jroland
Have always debated about the drop-in vs CAI. I have a K&N drop in on the shelf and NM Hi Flow system installed. Any opinion over which is better?
There is a lot of debate if CAI really does anything on our cars. I'am in the camp that says they do help but its not going to help to the point you can feel it. 4-5hp etc. I did the drop in as it was better then the crap/plugged up paper one that was in the car. Latter on I will put a CAI on the car.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear

There is a lot of debate if CAI really does anything on our cars. I'am in the camp that says they do help but its not going to help to the point you can feel it. 4-5hp etc. I did the drop in as it was better then the crap/plugged up paper one that was in the car. Latter on I will put a CAI on the car.
I'll tell you what a CAI does (assuming R53 since you have "05" in your name): it makes a glorious noise when on boost.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM
zre
4th Gear
Made a custom CAI using a K&N filter. Added 27% more surface area to filter. Definitely helps with turbo spool-up.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not gonna get a debate or anything, but I've noticed with my CAI I get higher end power and with the panel filter I received more low end power. Test it out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear

Challenge cars use the stock intake.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
SpeedyDD
2nd Gear
Contemplated what to do about the swirly design someone decided to decorate my passenger side doors with after the football game on Saturday. I am guessing they used a key, but the marks are not very deep (edges are smooth). Can I try to "erase" with WD40?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedyDD
Contemplated what to do about the swirly design someone decided to decorate my passenger side doors with after the football game on Saturday. I am guessing they used a key, but the marks are not very deep (edges are smooth). Can I try to "erase" with WD40?
Can you snag a fingernail in the scratches? If not that deep, you can try some Meguiar's Scratch X which works well on light scratches. It's not very abrasive so you may have to work it a bit to get them out. But better to go the least aggressive route possible first and see if taking off a little material takes care of it while not removing more than is necessary.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
SpeedyDD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
Can you snag a fingernail in the scratches? If not that deep, you can try some Meguiar's Scratch X which works well on light scratches. It's not very abrasive so you may have to work it a bit to get them out. But better to go the least aggressive route possible first and see if taking off a little material takes care of it while not removing more than is necessary.
Well, on closer inspection, the scratches are deeper than I thought. Still fairly light, but rough on the sides (I can snag a fingernail). Two large designs on both doors. Is it worth reporting to the insurance company and getting fixed professionally? I have a $500 deductible. Not likely to happen again, as I'm guessing it was just some drunk college students passing by after a game. Grrrrr!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedyDD
Well, on closer inspection, the scratches are deeper than I thought. Still fairly light, but rough on the sides (I can snag a fingernail). Two large designs on both doors. Is it worth reporting to the insurance company and getting fixed professionally? I have a $500 deductible. Not likely to happen again, as I'm guessing it was just some drunk college students passing by after a game. Grrrrr!
Well unless you have the skills to tackle it yourself with the correct abrasives and a random orbital polisher I would not try it. There is a fine line between removing the scratch (or at least a good portion of it) and blowing through the clear coat. I would see if a professional can get it looking acceptable and of course worst case is sand and refinish. Before you decide whether to make a claim I would find a well-respected body shop and have them take a look and tell you what your options are.

Last edited by Jake C6R; 11-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did a wet autocross yesterday.

I do wet coast winter autocross in BC and had the first one yesterday. Its been a few months and I was very rusty. It was wet and a bit slippery.

I do it to have fun and get a feel for the car at its limits. But getting my *** kicked by weird little hondas is depressing. Of course some of the drivers here are very serious. I am not.

My goal every time is not to be last. I fear I failed at that. I had fun.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Autocrosses are great big fun, some weird little Hondas actually ARE fast, CAI's are awesome even just for the sound, and two doors worth of swirls should be reported as that's comprehensive (typically lower deductible and doesn't tend to increase your rates).

What'd I do? Cleaned off the brake dust from my "track" wheels after a Sunday at the track... then winterized the car - new brakes, treaded tires, quieter exhaust...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
yesterday, got my tires "Road Force Balanced". no more slight wiggle!

which now brings the question: why the hell didnt they do that day 1?! and why did i wait to long to ask about it?!?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by submitaweasel
I'll tell you what a CAI does (assuming R53 since you have "05" in your name): it makes a glorious noise when on boost.
"cold" air intake, probably not. IMO, a big aluminum pipe running from the filter to the TB will not get "cold"; it will get HOT however. i feel the same about the open box intakes. i mean, its wide open, so all that nice hot air goes right into the engine from the engine bay.

now, a SMOOTHER intake, that can make more power. A Larger intake can potentially make more power. but again, a "cold" air intake, not so much on a mini anyway

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
"cold" air intake, probably not. IMO, a big aluminum pipe running from the filter to the TB will not get "cold"; it will get HOT however. i feel the same about the open box intakes. i mean, its wide open, so all that nice hot air goes right into the engine from the engine bay.

now, a SMOOTHER intake, that can make more power. A Larger intake can potentially make more power. but again, a "cold" air intake, not so much on a mini anyway
Modding my stock airbox made a noticeable improvement in the 4.5k - 6.5k RPM range (butt dyno says about 5 HP), and is pulling much more cool air from the cowl area, which is slightly pressurized when driving. All this for less than $10 worth of weatherstripping and a little bit of time spent with my Dremel....

Plus, you get to hear the supercharger do its thing a lot better....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini

This is very true. Short ram intakes don't take in much cold air. Thats why I said it'll just let you hear the whine

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
DrivingMyMini
2nd Gear
It needed a wash --- BIG TIME!

I washed the MINI today...it was freakin' filthy! The back window and hatch were especially bad. Nothing like a fresh, clean MINI to enhance the MINI Motoring experience!

John Lindauer
Driving My MINI
http://www.drivingmymini.blogspot.com

2011 White Silver MINI Cooper hardtop loaded up with fun stuff like Nav, MINI Connect, Parking Sensors, Xenon Headlamps, Run Flats and more.

Last edited by DrivingMyMini; 11-20-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add signature
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Installed my LED Taillights.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
R56RobDizz
2nd Gear
Had the afternoon free so I finished blacking out my baby. HL/TL rings, grill trim, the hatch handle, door handles, and the "cooper" badge. All I need to do now is buy the blackout beltline kit, and next month the window tint will finally be installed. I like to do little upgrades every month or so, that way I always have something to look forward too! Haha

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM
highsiderider
2nd Gear
R56RobDizz>> Nice job. I like to see the picture of the whole car.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?