General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRoc7822
Yeah I had 5% in the back in Mazdaspeed 3 and it was just really hard to see out of at night when backing up or anything. And not sure if you are aware but 20% on the front is not legal in the great state of Illinois. You can have whatever you want on the back...but when it comes to the front 2 windows... cant be any less than 35%. I'm just not trying to have any problems with the po po.
I've got some good friends (one of which is the President of my car club) that are police in Illinois. The law as it has been explained to me is subject to circumstance.

35% is allowed on all windows, except when the rear windows or back windshield are darker than 35%, in that case no tint is allowed in the windows adjacent to the driver (fronts).

BUT, here's the real deal breaker for the police. They can write the ticket if they want, but it won't stand up in court unless they used a light transmission meter to gauge the tint percentage when they wrote it. Most police departments do not provide these for their officers because they're expensive (near $400, I've heard), and they require calibration to remain accurate. Officers would need to buy their own. My friend said he doesn't even know anyone that has one because no one is going to buy an expensive meter like that to write low-dollar tickets, including himself.

Furthermore, I've never been stopped for tints in my Mini or in any other vehicle I've had. But I have been pulled over for other things and then have them ask about or mention the tints.

All I do is tell them "A friend of mine owed me a favor so he did them for me. I'm not sure what percentage they are, but if your meter says they're illegal, I'd be glad to pay the fine."

At that point, they realize you know that they can't write the ticket without it, and the statement is most likely on tape as lots of police in Illinois are wearing wires as well. They never write the ticket.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Guess I just got schooled on the laws of tint hahahaha. Thats actually very useful to know! So thanks for sharing. The place I got them done at even gave me a piece of paper with their stamp and what percentage they are. And if they (the po po) dont believe what the paper says to call the shop and confirm haha. I just got a chuckle out of it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
coelacanth
2nd Gear
I got her JCW shift **** (alcantara/leather).

I'm usually not much into carbon fibre stuff, but this **** is really comfy and it worked great on my way back from office. I did the install in office parking lot. I just slid up the center console a bit, didn't detach the boot from the console, and pull the **** out. It was pretty easy.

While I was at it, I installed NewMiniStuff's hidden 12V socket in the center console along with TuneLink bluetooth module. I ran the audio cable through a small window next to aux in so it's pretty much undetectable. TuneLink picks my phone and start playing music right away, and I wanted the on-car BT to only do A2DP and leave the hands-free calling to dedicated ear piece (JCW tuned MCS is LOUD on freeway where I do conference calls most of time) so this is just about perfect.

Next up is JCW steering wheel (alcantara/leather) that's coming in a couple of days.

I'm really looking forward to some spirited ride in the mountains to see how much of difference these JCW bits make.

Then next week, 17" R108 rims should be here to complete the transformation of my MCS.

Last edited by coelacanth; 03-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:54 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
I've got some good friends (one of which is the President of my car club) that are police in Illinois. The law as it has been explained to me is subject to circumstance.

35% is allowed on all windows, except when the rear windows or back windshield are darker than 35%, in that case no tint is allowed in the windows adjacent to the driver (fronts).

BUT, here's the real deal breaker for the police. They can write the ticket if they want, but it won't stand up in court unless they used a light transmission meter to gauge the tint percentage when they wrote it. Most police departments do not provide these for their officers because they're expensive (near $400, I've heard), and they require calibration to remain accurate. Officers would need to buy their own. My friend said he doesn't even know anyone that has one because no one is going to buy an expensive meter like that to write low-dollar tickets, including himself.

Furthermore, I've never been stopped for tints in my Mini or in any other vehicle I've had. But I have been pulled over for other things and then have them ask about or mention the tints.

All I do is tell them "A friend of mine owed me a favor so he did them for me. I'm not sure what percentage they are, but if your meter says they're illegal, I'd be glad to pay the fine."

At that point, they realize you know that they can't write the ticket without it, and the statement is most likely on tape as lots of police in Illinois are wearing wires as well. They never write the ticket.
Actually most departments receive federal grants for this type of equipment. And while up to 35% tint is allowed, it would be prudent not to purchase and apply 35% tint to your already slightly tinted glass. That would tip the scale to appx 29-30% putting you well within most states Motor Vehicle laws to receive a citation. ( lower the number = darker the tint )

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Went back to stock intake.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Why?

Dave

Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
How come?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
kpeen931
2nd Gear
I got the one ball done for 40$ and ordered a boost gauge mini badge , demon coil pack, 8mm wire, ngk colder plugs, and cleaning and oil kit for my ddm foam filter. This weekend will all be onstalled . Then ordering some springs short shifter and fiull exhaust once I figure what ones I want.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Actually most departments receive federal grants for this type of equipment. And while up to 35% tint is allowed, it would be prudent not to purchase and apply 35% tint to your already slightly tinted glass. That would tip the scale to appx 29-30% putting you well within most states Motor Vehicle laws to receive a citation. ( lower the number = darker the tint )
Here's what I don't understand...

We spend time on here worrying about having our cars being on the ragged edge of legality when it comes to petty things like window tints. I've had conversations where people like to remind me that not having a front license plate is against the law in my state. Why don't we worry about these things? Because we know we're not getting cited for them unless we're already in the process of being cited for something more serious. We know there's a margin of leeway when it comes to the letter of the law and we abuse it everyday when we drive, even if we don't realize it.

Ever knowingly drive slightly over the speed limit? Ever not use a turn signal? Ever pick up your phone and text/talk while driving? Ever parallel parked without using a the proper turn signal? Ever roll a stop sign?... Exactly. Everyone has. It's okay.

Did you know that in Illinois it's illegal to modify your car's exhaust at all?

(625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
(Source: P.A. 77-37.)
If your car is even the slightest bit louder than it was from the showroom floor, you're breaking the law.

Well SHUCKS! I guess I'm just all sorts of a criminal.

No front license plate
Window tints too dark
Modified Exhaust

I don't care about these petty things and neither should anyone else. Having window tint that's a few percentages too dark, or having no front plate, or having exhaust a few decibels higher than stock is no more illegal that driving 5-15mph over the speed limit just like most everyone and their grandma does everyday, on every road in America.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
I had my Mini towed 80 miles to the nearest dealership, because it isnt responding to a key in the ignition.

Thats what i did at 730AM this morning.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Derek1387
I had my Mini towed 80 miles to the nearest dealership, because it isnt responding to a key in the ignition.

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. Is the intake swap just to be sure you're not denied warranty?

And to other OP about law/legalities: There's a difference between the letter of the law and intent of the law. I guess there's always an argument for either side but I do agree with most of your post. I still worry about it however because even if I am breaking the letter of the law, and not necessarily the intent, I'm still SOL :P

Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chit! ...and I thought 50 miles was a long way.

Still got some warranty, I hope?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM
ucdinh
1st Gear

Can you explain your issue more, I had a similar issue, where the clutch sensor cable got loose and the mini wouldn't start. But, the eletronics all still worked, does yours do nothing at all?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
When i put the key in the dash, the tach is supposed to light up. It doesnt. It doesnt recognize that there is even a key there.

BUT, I can unlock/lock/open the boot/turn on the radio/headlights, etc. BUt when i try to start, nothing. Key/push button start non responsive.

And 4000 miles out of warranty.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Dave and Izzy, I went back to the stock intake cause I will be getting a tune from ETG. I will be buying a dry filter from Way though.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
I just ordered her new shoes.

Derek sorry to hear that. I hope they'll take some of the financial responsibility even though you're out of warranty.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sekhmet101
I just ordered her new shoes.

Derek sorry to hear that. I hope they'll take some of the financial responsibility even though you're out of warranty.
Well thank you.

Baron Mini actually just called and said it was only the key. They originally thought it was the steering column, or the key slot, but did some more testing, and ended up just being the key...thank god.

And they arent screwing me on the key... $150

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
sekhmet101
5th Gear
Wow! So glad its not something more.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Derek1387
2nd Gear
So am I... i was about to order my rear sway bar, and put it in the paint booth this weekend! Now i still can!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Put NM intake on today.. Sounds nice thanks to lowsid3r

What did you do to your mini today?-forumrunner_20130320_194432.jpg

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
I got my new CraftSquare carbon fiber TCA-F/W mirrors mounted today.

Name:  002-5_zpsc6461c7b.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  006-3_zps418ed631.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Dave and Izzy, I went back to the stock intake cause I will be getting a tune from ETG. I will be buying a dry filter from Way though.
Are they recommending stock intake for their tune?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG

Are they recommending stock intake for their tune?
Yes they are recommending to use a panel dry filter. They can produce more power in their words.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
lowsid3r
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aldito2
Put NM intake on today.. Sounds nice thanks to lowsid3r
Looks good man. Glad you like it. Haha I am starting to miss it. If you are ever in the dc area hit me up!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So am I... i was about to order my rear sway bar, and put it in the paint booth this weekend! Now i still can!
Glad that it was *just* the key. I see you didn't waste too much time getting that RSB. Best of luck!

Finally worked out the details and ordered my JCW rear bumper.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?