General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should add all work was done by Uncle Jim. A Certified Porsche/Audi tech who made the engine for the Blue Flame Jet car that set a land speed record a few years ago down in Bonneville.
Otherwise, I washed my '05 MSC although cold after the freezing rain and crap last week. All Twinkly electric blue with black stripes and sun roof front and rear. I think we call it Kite Blue??

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pno2nr
Where does one get one of these rinseless things? Sadly, I have no garage unless somebody wants to buy my '97 audi 1.8 turbo engine and tranny for another project of theirs. comp clutch, alum flywheel and other upgrades to push approaching 275 hp. Old man hit my son in his A-4 and totalled it :>( Also a boot cover, and a door we were going to replace. White.
I too am interested in waterless car wash - i found this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-products.html

Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM
linak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
I too am interested in waterless car wash - i found this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-products.html
You still need water (just enough in buckets to cover mitts above grit guards) - you just don't have to rinse the wash off. I'm basically lazy so I ordered Optimum No Rinse Car Wash from Amazon (although there are plenty of suppliers - just do a search). Delivered that day - washed that night.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Originally Posted by linak
You still need water (just enough in buckets to cover mitts above grit guards) - you just don't have to rinse the wash off. I'm basically lazy so I ordered Optimum No Rinse Car Wash from Amazon (although there are plenty of suppliers - just do a search). Delivered that day - washed that night.
Now wondering how to keep her clean in very cold NE over the winter. Sadly, my daily driver. I wish I could store her up for the winter, but can't. 7 degrees tonight. She really hates starting up on cold mornings! Snow and crap haven't hit yet, but haven't seen a dirty Mini. I don't want to be the first!
I don't mean celcius either! Yuk!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I get my waterless car wash from Autogeek. The product I use is called DP WATERLESS AUTO WASH CONCENTRATE. I mix it 3 parts water to 1 part concentrate in a spray bottle. Just spray it on and get the paint nice and wet. Then use a good clean microfiber towel and flip it and just keep the dirt on the towel from touching the car. Depending on how dirty your car is, you might need two to three micro fiber towels to clean your car. Never damaged my paint on the two cars in my garage. Just like in the summer I clean my car at least once a week.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I use Griot's Spray on car wash.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I was wary of it at first, but I won a Griot's car car kit at a MINI club raffle, so It cost me nothing to try it.

I am impressed with the performance of this stuff! When the spray bottle ran out, I bought a gallon of it.

Dave

Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I use Griot's Spray on car wash. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks I was wary of it at first, but I won a Griot's car car kit at a MINI club raffle, so It cost me nothing to try it. I am impressed with the performance of this stuff! When the spray bottle ran out, I bought a gallon of it. Dave
I'm going to give this a try. I've been using Purple Slice. A waterless detailed spray I picked up for my Harley.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
It was yesterday, but I finally made it through break-in period so I have her an oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-3942920580.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Totally forgot to mention I installed a FJCW exhaust a while back. Sounds like heaven with no resonator and 2nd cat.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Stuffed the sub box with polyfill. Night and day difference.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 AM
b00sted09
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
The same exact thing happened to me! I was afraid I was gonna break the shift boot when I was pulling the shift **** off. In terms of feel, I definitely prefer the JCW **** over the stock, the JCW **** feels more natural to hold rather than the odd ball shape of the stock ****. I don't feel like I'm ever going to miss a shift anymore. Hope you decide that you like it!
Maybe I was just lucky? haha
How did you guys pull the **** out?
When I did it I placed it on 2nd gear then pulled it without any issues (that's how it's been told to removed with my e90 BMW).
The stock shift **** had that white ring at the end of it, which I would guess holds the boot in place. I checked the boot and it was clean, no tear what so ever...
Now with the new **** the boot just remains in place and doesn't slide down

Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM
linak
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
It was yesterday, but I finally made it through break-in period so I have her an oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Hey Kilmer - we're right behind you. We just turned 1200 today. It was a gorgeous day as you can see from the windshield so we took Alfie out for his milestone drive. Next on the list is a bath and oil change for him!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-milestone-11_27.jpg  
Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
With you newby's, like me. do you notice other cars wanting to see what you've got. I get it more with people in front of me at a light on the green. SUV's more than others for some reason. They seem to want me to get on it. Silly Rabbit! My first week, of course ('05 MCS all nicely broke in) I taught a stern lesson. Now, I just smile and let them risk the ticket and burn gas...When we get to a corner, I just whip around and say C-Ya!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
With you newby's, like me. do you notice other cars wanting to see what you've got. I get it more with people in front of me at a light on the green. SUV's more than others for some reason. They seem to want me to get on it. Silly Rabbit! My first week, of course ('05 MCS all nicely broke in) I taught a stern lesson. Now, I just smile and let them risk the ticket and burn gas...When we get to a corner, I just whip around and say C-Ya!
I hear ya! I think our cars fool a lot of people. They're so small and I think many equate that with slooooow grandma cars. They just don't get it! SUVs and big pickup trucks... and chicks with phones to their ear. lol

Old 11-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I hear ya! I think our cars fool a lot of people. They're so small and I think many equate that with slooooow grandma cars. They just don't get it! SUVs and big pickup trucks... and chicks with phones to their ear. lol
Oh yeah the phone thing! Don't get me started on that! Every time I have to dodge some idiot, there's a phone glued to their face and their jaws are a flapping as if the window was open on a windy day! lol!

Not sure about your town, but Lincoln drivers also think the light turning red gives them 5 more seconds to cruise through...no flooring...just cruise right through! Ahhhhh! That's what ended my son's Audi A4's life

Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
They just don't get it! SUVs and big pickup trucks... lol
I still enjoy driving my 2500HD Suburban. I would rather be driving it around dusk and at night this time of year. Peak of deer season and they don't look both ways before crossing the road.

What did I do with my Mini today? Just turned 112K miles this afternoon.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Drove around to get some money, bottles of wine, flowers, and filled her up with 93 for our 5 hour drive tomorrow . . . I'm exited to see the mpg we'll make on our Holiday trip. I don't intend to drive fast which is perfect to test it

oh and yes almost got run over to the side by this "I'm-merging-right-without-looking-because-I'm-talking-on-my-cell-phone-and-have no-need-to-look-in-my-super-safe-gigantic-cadillac-white-suv girl"
I had plenty of room on the side so I wasn't worried at all as I saw it coming very slowly. I let her start to sway to the right and buzzed her twice as I was getting too much over to the right. She got a good scare. Good for her! She needed a reminder . . . you got mirrors girl. learn to use it dumb *** . . . LOL

Old 11-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I still enjoy driving my 2500HD Suburban. I would rather be driving it around dusk and at night this time of year. Peak of deer season and they don't look both ways before crossing the road.

What did I do with my Mini today? Just turned 112K miles this afternoon.
Where are you? Just turned 70K on the MCS. Deer are running amok in NE.

Hey! I need to name her! Minime is just too obvious, and am not a mini sized person my wife pointed out this morning at the DMV getting new plates, title and stuffs for $875!. It was just the adopted name. what are your Mini's names? Mine is the Kite Blue with black stripes '05S.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
TG. I know what you're sayin. I love the TG name, as i played in a band for 10 years called "Tiny Giants" in Seattle. We weren't "grunge" enough as thats where it started. We were more like Gerry Garcia goes to Trinadad with an Eric Clapton twist. 90% original. Good dance band. We had a nice run in downtown venues there while Pearl Jam or Soundgarten was next door just starting out. Oh well. I played my '69 Fender Jazz bass. Still have it. Hope to keep the Mini that long! If you want to break ribs laughing, friend the bass player from Soundgarten! Ouch! I'm still sore!

Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
So what did I do? put my new NE plates on the Mini! Bittersweet as they were the plates from my son's Audi A4. I think it's now a toaster or something by now. saved $6.50 from the state to still pay the sheriff to verify the VIN# on the new registration. I still loose! Really $10. He walks out checks the vin and comes back in and says OK. Wow what a scam. $875 fee to get the privelidge of driving in the state of NE. wow!

Im thinking of plate rims. What have you added?...Like "my other car is a Steinway"

Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
I should add next year will only be about $120 for license fees.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:25 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
I should add next year will only be about $120 for license fees.
Last month it cost me around $300 for tax, inspection and my new personalized tags for my new '07 MCS. I was unhappy paying that much. New tags are M1N1 S. Next year will be $70. You guys in NE are getting hosed.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Its because my car broker bought it in KC. So Nebraska has to get some coin since not bought in state. F##$@errs.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I masked it back of and shot some more paint on her roof... Same tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Peak of deer season and they don't look both ways before crossing the road.
I have to deal with goats and donkeys and Drunk Drivers...
That's why tonight when we go out for dinner I'll be driving my wife's DD instead.
Name:  a14f7e70c931784833907c3ee6b7f1d2_zps762aadab.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  479.5 KB
Be careful out there during this Festive season

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?