General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut up 4 blocks of wood from a Douglas fir 2x4 and tested them on my JCW to see how they would hold up to prevent any damage to the aero skirts. While the back jack point/block held up okay, I was horrified to see the front block get crushed up as I gently lowered the jack on it. I guess I need to find alternatives..sigh. How are some people using plywood to stuff the jack points without damaging them?

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-2315534674.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-2727331081.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-3826823924.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
I cut up 4 blocks of wood from a Douglas fir 2x4 and tested them on my JCW to see how they would hold up to prevent any damage to the aero skirts. While the back jack point/block held up okay, I was horrified to see the front block get crushed up as I gently lowered the jack on it. I guess I need to find alternatives..sigh. How are some people using plywood to stuff the jack points without damaging them?
Thr front of the car is significantly heavier than the rear. I dodn't think tha there is any way the relatively soft wood you are using is going to hold up to that. Wood is stronger in compression along the grain. That jackstand you are using is putting all the load on a very small area of the wood, crushing it and causing it to split. There is no way I'd get under the car with that setup.

You need to use a very hard wood or a block laminated from layers of plywood, and jackstands with flat pads on top. And you don't want the wood to extend more than a 1/4" or so out of the bottom of the jack point.

Don't take jacking the car up too ligthtly. Imagine one of those wood blocks shearing, and the car shifting just enought to topple off the other stands.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 PM
bmrguy03
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trwxxa
Thr front of the car is significantly heavier than the rear. I dodn't think tha there is any way the relatively soft wood you are using is going to hold up to that. Wood is stronger in compression along the grain. That jackstand you are using is putting all the load on a very small area of the wood, crushing it and causing it to split. There is no way I'd get under the car with that setup. You need to use a very hard wood or a block laminated from layers of plywood, and jackstands with flat pads on top. And you don't want the wood to extend more than a 1/4" or so out of the bottom of the jack point. Don't take jacking the car up too ligthtly. Imagine one of those wood blocks shearing, and the car shifting just enought to topple off the other stands.
Or you could buy some adapters off of eBay or one of the vendors on this site.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:14 PM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmrguy03
Or you could buy some adapters off of eBay or one of the vendors on this site.
That's what I did, but some folks don't want to spend the bucks and insist on using wood blocks.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:25 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I stayed out of everybody's way, and worked on my MINI until the sun went down! Sprayed a lot of paint, and had fun doing it... The car made it out of the garage about 4 times! You have to check my thread for details and pic's though...

Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanksgiving weekend: Time to swap to winter tires! On with the Blizzak LM-60s, Conti DWs now get a few months off.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-3264211227.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Installed Splitter today

I bought a splitter from someone here on the forum but needed the upgraded install kit from M7. I contacted Bill from M7 Tuning and he sent me the upgraded hardware and was kind enough to send the template for drilling out the splitter itself. The install was MUCH easier with the correct stuff. Thanks Bill!. Here are some pics of the splitter as well as some other mods or upgrades I've done to "Howzuh" over the past couple of months since I bought it new.

Splitter. (it's a Justa so it's obviously just for looks. I'll save you REAL "racers" or GP owners the bother of commenting on this fact.)
Wheels and tires
Strut brace
K&N Filter
PIAA DRL's
Viper Stripes
tinted windows 15% rear / 35% side
Green anodized antennae
Green anodized valve stem caps
Plastidipped front grill(s)
Plastidipped headlight and tail light trim
Clear bra with headlight protection (impossible to see in the pics - LOL)
tinted side marker lights
tinted front wheel arch lights

Name:  splitter3_zpsa429acef.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  splitter2_zps90162b74.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  splitter4_zps33d4b806.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  80.6 KB
Name:  RearViewgreenantennae_zpsd9c9fc61.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  Challengewheels_zpsa197ae3a.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  Sidemarkertint_zps229dcb8c.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  CFDash1_zps80ac88cf.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  CFDash_zpsa6754506.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  CLearBrainstall2_zpsd3ea4426.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  92.4 KB

Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Used Adam's detail spray on her tonight. I'm very impressed with the results, and she smells great now too!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-3504471589.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by trwxxa
That's what I did, but some folks don't want to spend the bucks and insist on using wood blocks.
Yeah as soon as I saw that wood get crushed, there wasn't any way I would get underneath the car myself. I wasn't sure that the jack pad adapter like the BMS one would also work on the jack stands, and I saw someone post they used wood to stuff the jack points so that's what I tried first. Which jack stand adapter would you suggest?
I was looking at the Torin T43004 jack stands, actually. Are those the ones you'd recommend?

Last edited by KilmerPT; 12-02-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by howzuh
I bought a splitter from someone here on the forum but needed the upgraded install kit from M7. I contacted Bill from M7 Tuning and he sent me the upgraded hardware and was kind enough to send the template for drilling out the splitter itself. The install was MUCH easier with the correct stuff. Thanks Bill!. Here are some pics of the splitter as well as some other mods or upgrades I've done to "Howzuh" over the past couple of months since I bought it new.

Splitter. (it's a Justa so it's obviously just for looks. I'll save you REAL "racers" or GP owners the bother of commenting on this fact.)
Wheels and tires
Strut brace
K&N Filter
PIAA DRL's
Viper Stripes
tinted windows 15% rear / 35% side
Green anodized antennae
Green anodized valve stem caps
Plastidipped front grill(s)
Plastidipped headlight and tail light trim
Clear bra with headlight protection (impossible to see in the pics - LOL)
tinted side marker lights
tinted front wheel arch lights

How about a side photo?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 AM
TomC3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened a couple of weeks ago. Installed an Akrapovic Evolution Line Exhaust with CF tailpipes on my 2010 S.

Name:  akra3_zpsf3f46be0.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  47.1 KB
Name:  akra2_zps263561ba.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  106.3 KB

Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Kilmer,

two things you should do when using wood for this:

1. Don't make it as tall. The shorter they will be the better for stability. So look at your geometry and make them just tall enough to fit the pocket with maybe a 1/4" or at most 1/2" to allow for some crushing.

2. I lifting my car to install the GP belly pan recently and I had forgotten to look into how I was going to seat my jack stands. So I did use a piece of wood because I was running out of time.
When you use wood you always want to use the grain of the wood in your advantage. What you did is the worse case scenario. The fibers are at their shortest length so they will part from each-other much more easily. Vertically is not that much better either. What you want to do is use them horizontally with the longest direction possible. Also use a harder wood like oak if you can.
It's alright if the wood crushes some but you don't want it to split!

Anyway, just simple tips

edit:

Oops, didn't look at the replies . . . I guess it was already covered...

Last edited by TG.; 12-02-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Installed Ziza interior lighting everywhere on my R56 Nice white light.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:51 AM
gnuse
2nd Gear
No front tag!

I knew I would never feel comfortable with putting a full size tag on the front of my Mini. Fortunately my son does graphic art design and so I applied my version of a tag to my front bumper and headed for the airport.

Name:  FlyMini_zps41ef431d.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  72.1 KB

Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Pno2nr
4th Gear
Nice! what did I do today?. It's stinkin 65 degrees in Nebrasky! Warmest day since I bought her on Halloween Day! Of course, a nice wash and yes: Crazy drive in the country! Ahhh! It gives back more in warmer weather. handles better, accels better, and gas MPG is less! I dread the 15 degree highs we're going to get later this week :(
Looking forward to joining yall for the minis on the dragon next May! I should have some mods by then I hope. Otherwise loving the stock MCS '05. Did a carfax now. Thermostat and all replaced 6 months ago. I got it a month ago. Happy Dance!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TomC3
Happened a couple of weeks ago. Installed an Akrapovic Evolution Line Exhaust with CF tailpipes on my 2010 S.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$weeeet !

Is there a distributor here in the states yet ?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
swapped out my oem tails for these ebays my friend had laying around. I know the cars dirty, the hose is put away for the winter.
Name:  photo_zpsd2f2309c.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.6 KB

Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM
<05MINI>
3rd Gear
I recived and installed my outmotoring stubby antenna today and i love in from the Houston area i can still pick up Boumont stations.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Installed Ziza interior lighting everywhere on my R56 Nice white light.
Hehe, I just ordered the kit also since they are on sale. Got any pics after install?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Kilmer, two things you should do when using wood for this: 1. Don't make it as tall. The shorter they will be the better for stability. So look at your geometry and make them just tall enough to fit the pocket with maybe a 1/4" or at most 1/2" to allow for some crushing. 2. I lifting my car to install the GP belly pan recently and I had forgotten to look into how I was going to seat my jack stands. So I did use a piece of wood because I was running out of time. When you use wood you always want to use the grain of the wood in your advantage. What you did is the worse case scenario. The fibers are at their shortest length so they will part from each-other much more easily. Vertically is not that much better either. What you want to do is use them horizontally with the longest direction possible. Also use a harder wood like oak if you can. It's alright if the wood crushes some but you don't want it to split! Anyway, just simple tips edit: Oops, didn't look at the replies . . . I guess it was already covered...
Thank you for the tips. It is definitely much appreciated.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Hehe, I just ordered the kit also since they are on sale. Got any pics after install?

I don't but I'll try to get one after sunset to see the light! ECS has a PDF for installing the lights. Unless you already know, the ECS instructions are helpful. I initially put the wrong led in the boot and the map\reading light bulb replacement in the Bentley service manual is nearly worthless. I didn't break anything and they work great! Test each light before you button it up though. I had to turn the bulb around on several locations.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM
heresmymind
4th Gear
Just a normal day, I drove the mini up to class.

Still glad I decided to get my car tuned. It rips, and pulls on all my buddies stage 2 r53s like no other

-B

Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I use Griot's Spray on car wash.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

I was wary of it at first, but I won a Griot's car car kit at a MINI club raffle, so It cost me nothing to try it.

I am impressed with the performance of this stuff! When the spray bottle ran out, I bought a gallon of it.

Dave
Griots is da chit, been using it for years!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:17 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Hehe, I just ordered the kit also since they are on sale. Got any pics after install? Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Here are some pics, I trust. I never know how the app is going to act. Ha.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-2057387506.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-2854150989.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-286877884.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 06:52 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed my Invidia on my R53 thanks Outmotoring great service!!!! Love the quality and the sound.
Not today but over the las few days/weeks plastidipped my wheels blacked out the belt line tint my windows 35% all around.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-309624373.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-3515089516.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-2051854666.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?