General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Dropped mine off at the dealer for the cam chain recall. Picked up a '14 Countryman S auto as a loaner. I'm killin' myself getting in and out of the smaller front door.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by howzuh
Looks like ya got the thumbnails working. Nice. So which Zaino product specifically? I've never heard of it. Went on their website and they make all sorts of different products. Your car is definitely shiny.
Howzuh - thanks for the help with the thumbnails!

The list below is what i do for the first time. After that you can just use Z-AIO or Z-5 PRO followed by Z-6. There is a lot of overlap in their products so there are probably many other sequences that work just as well.
  • wash car with Dawn to remove old wax (i use Dawn for the first wash only) - once i have "Zaino-ed" my car i use the Zaino wash product thereafter)
  • wax with Z-AIO
  • wax with Z-5 PRO
  • apply a coat of Z-CS (you don't buff this off, just apply and let dry)
  • possibly finish with Z-6 (very fast). You can also use this as a quick detailing spray
I would love to hear some feedback from other Zaino users as to what products / sequences they use. I am by no means an expert.

Last edited by signcarver; 12-27-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: removed blank line
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by signcarver
Howzuh - thanks for the help with the thumbnails! The list below is what i do for the first time. After that you can just use Z-AIO or Z-5 PRO followed by Z-6. There is a lot of overlap in their products so there are probably many other sequences that work just as well.[*]wash car with Dawn to remove old wax (i use Dawn for the first wash only) - once i have "Zaino-ed" my car i use the Zaino wash product thereafter)[*]wax with Z-AIO[*]wax with Z-5 PRO[*]apply a coat of Z-CS (you don't buff this off, just apply and let dry)[*]possibly finish with Z-6 (very fast). You can also use this as a quick detailing spray I would love to hear some feedback from other Zaino users as to what products / sequences they use. I am by no means an expert.
Copy that. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well I should probably just forget about this post, and go update my RatRod thread.

Nothing to see here today but wax... Please continue.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done everything I wanted to my Little Mini over the years. The crowning touch would be to add the NAM grill badge and cool decal I was promised when I "joined" in late November 2013. Perhaps it will come next year. Please Please !

Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 AM
chili11mini
Neutral
I put a sport antennae and did the noise box mod...like the results...mmmm what is next...?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
Howzuh - thanks for the help with the thumbnails!

The list below is what i do for the first time. After that you can just use Z-AIO or Z-5 PRO followed by Z-6. There is a lot of overlap in their products so there are probably many other sequences that work just as well.
  • wash car with Dawn to remove old wax (i use Dawn for the first wash only) - once i have "Zaino-ed" my car i use the Zaino wash product thereafter)
  • wax with Z-AIO
  • wax with Z-5 PRO
  • apply a coat of Z-CS (you don't buff this off, just apply and let dry)
  • possibly finish with Z-6 (very fast). You can also use this as a quick detailing spray
I would love to hear some feedback from other Zaino users as to what products / sequences they use. I am by no means an expert.
I used to do the Zaino system just like their directions said. And the results were amazing. But gradually I kept trying other things, and never went back to Zaino. Now, I claybar, machine polish, then basecoat with Blackfire Wet Diamond polymer, then top with multiple coates of P21S 100% carnauba wax. I still use Zaino wash shampoo, as it seems to leave a very gleaming finish after you dry with microfiber towels.

Using the best paste waxes seems to provide extra depth and "pop" to the metallic paint. So, I just never went back to Zaino. Actually, I think you could do a Zaino program, and then keep topping with the paste wax, and never need to do the Zaino again. Once you do the base prep, all the dirt just floats on the wax and comes off very easily when you wash.

The key to all this is good base preparation. That is where all the work is. If you don't do good base prep, it almost doesn't matter what product you use. You really have to machine polish with a good random orbital machine to get all the hairline scratches out of the clear coat. Then you use some light glaze if needed to fill in tiny scratches still there. After that you start building with polymers (which could be Zaino) and then top off with the waxes for extra depth and "pop." The wax gives the paint more warmth, while the Zaino is very shiny and gives the car more of a "plastic" effect.

Last edited by RussWK; 12-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Well I can never wax or buff my MINI again!

The final matte clear went on the roof today... Starting on the rest of the car tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-1535828742.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-264433833.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-1996863938.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-1354990339.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What I wouldn't give just to be able to hand wash and wax my MINI...spring just can't get here soon enough. What did I do to my Merlin today? I patted him on the fender and said everything will be okay in a few months...

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
What I wouldn't give just to be able to hand wash and wax my MINI...spring just can't get here soon enough. What did I do to my Merlin today? I patted him on the fender and said everything will be okay in a few months...
We had a nice day about 38 degrees in Oregon, so I was able to detail the car inside and out. I tried some Turtle Wax plastic trim restorer on the exterior. Previously I used "Black Wow" but ran out. I actually like the results of the Turtle Wax better. Gives a nice even satainy look after it dries. Supposed to last several months through washings etc. I cleaned the interior plastics with Griots interior cleaner, and then topped with the plastic trim restorer to give it a nice satainy new look. My car is an R52, so I did the top with Raggtopp spray fabric tonic.

As you can tell by now, this car really gets babied - runs good and looks great. It has all the normal mods and RMW tune. Just put in new battery, and changed tranny oil, steering rack oil, and engine oil - all with Amsoil products. Really shifts much nicer now. Also, the power steering takes less effort and is much smoother. Can't hear the electric assist motor now. I think that may be due to the Amsoil lowers the friction and less effort for the motor.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Yesterday I installed carbon interior door pulls and today I washed all the road crud off and installed a carbon brake handle. Adds a nice touch to a clean MINI.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM
sandplasma
2nd Gear
I installed my winter tires/steelies and O M G , what a difference real tires are vs the runflats. I'm NEVER going back to the runflats. The ride is 100% more comfortable with these.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 AM
mdorsey
Neutral
I ordered the Ray Scuttles and Grill badge for my new 2014 Coupe S. Now I will continue the seemingly pointless search for additional colorful accessories since I don't have the wheels to support the Ray wheel caps, the rearview mirror cover doesn't work for the Coupe, and the side mirror covers don't thrill me...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 AM
AMink
2nd Gear
Took the Christmas tree to recycle it.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-2013-12-29-08.22.00.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Bet you got some strange looks!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Worked on the intercooler area today. Had to replace both rear brackets that secure the intercooler due to being over-torqued (dealership). At mid to high revs you could hear a slight vibration coming from the enginebay.

Worked on the front brackets and found out that one of the four bolts was broken off. Nice... Had to drill that half bolt out and then put everything back together. Everything is back in order and no more vibration. Good times again!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed CF Finished Diverter

I installed my Carbon Fiber Finished Diverter (Its Hydro Dipped)

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Mini for life!
3rd Gear
Just bought third my mini today.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ordered a small side torque arm insert from Way this evening.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 PM
hodepo
2nd Gear
Mounted my rack today. Now I'm ready to hit up the mountains tomorrow

Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 AM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Started my matte metallic grey transformation! Bye bye Pepper White!

While the wrap is being done, I will also be ..
- painting my wheels gloss black
- painting the calipers hot pink (wanted to give it a very subtle girly touch!)
- retrofitting my factory headlights with the OEM MINI projectors and matching OEM shrouds
- included in the retrofit are factory DOT approved bi-xenons
- painting the inner headlight housing in gloss black (also similar to the factory option)

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by babysarah
Started my matte metallic grey transformation! Bye bye Pepper White! While the wrap is being done, I will also be .. - painting my wheels gloss black - painting the calipers hot pink (wanted to give it a very subtle girly touch!) - retrofitting my factory headlights with the OEM MINI projectors and matching OEM shrouds - included in the retrofit are factory DOT approved bi-xenons - painting the inner headlight housing in gloss black (also similar to the factory option)
Can't wait to see the pics.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 AM
tonmilv
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Where did you get them? And how much, been thinking about this but I'm not sure if the cost is worth it. How's the lighting compare?

did you had to go to the dealer for installation? I hear that you have to program the computer to allow HIDs to work.

thank you

Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Plasti-Dipped the sunroof:

Zippee Shade is on the shelf. If the 'dip holds up well, Zippee Shade may go bye-bye in exchange for a little cash....

C ya,
Dutch

Last edited by joe_bfstplk; 01-01-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Not today, but yesterday... Took the day off from MINIs... Sat back and admired my work! Cant wait to get the rest of the paint on the car, but need to find some pre facelift justa cooper bumper covers before I start.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?