General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I drive my MCS hard, 75% spirited. On-ramps to freeways WOT and I enjoy passing other cars even if their going 75-80 mph, the only easy driving is done on freeways. Usually if there's a car in front of me at a red light on the on-ramp (red lights on on-ramps, please!) and if there's nobody behind me I'll wait for that car to get out of my launch window.
Ohhh yes. I am right there with you. Freeway on-ramps are my favorite place to speed up!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LILYisatig3r
Ohhh yes. I am right there with you. Freeway on-ramps are my favorite place to speed up!
I took 3rd gear all the way to 70 mph, pop it in 4th and forget about 5th!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 PM
KeyPlayaJim
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Most freeway on-ramps that I encounter anymore are so long and straight that you're up to speed long before entering the highway. I guess they're designed that way to give tractor-trailers and Priuses (Prii?) plenty of room to accelerate, but they're no fun at all in the MINI.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KeyPlayaJim
Most freeway on-ramps that I encounter anymore are so long and straight that you're up to speed long before entering the highway. I guess they're designed that way to give tractor-trailers and Priuses (Prii?) plenty of room to accelerate, but they're no fun at all in the MINI.
There's one I can think of which is the beginning of PCH or Pacific Coast Highway popular here in California, that on-ramp is about 1 mile long and I find myself at speeds of 90 mph before the merge lane. I have tons of time to slow down and join those going the speed limit.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A funny story. I know I married the right woman when we were in my car approaching the exit to our house. It's a great sharp right and then a left to a short straight to the light. Normally I take this exit all out as I had every inch memorized. But 1 day we were coming home and at the exit I just for whatever reason didn't take it hard BUT I had noticed that my wife braced her left leg and grabbed the door handle in a nonchalant way. I asked her at the light why she braced. Her answer not upset in any way. Oh honey I just thought you were gonna go for the apex's I love her for that. lol.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 AM
percymon
2nd Gear
First mod to the GFs Cooper (day 2 of ownership) - swapped the stock headlight bulbs for Osram Night Breaker Unlimited items - a slight improvement (as expeced given the poor reflector design).

Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
Just installed the clear bra from Laminx on my Clubman. It fit good and was not too much trouble to install. I did get more bubbles on the first piece than I had hoped. Just had to send a little more time to use a needle to pop them. The other pieces went on much better.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
A funny story. I know I married the right woman when we were in my car approaching the exit to our house. It's a great sharp right and then a left to a short straight to the light. Normally I take this exit all out as I had every inch memorized. But 1 day we were coming home and at the exit I just for whatever reason didn't take it hard BUT I had noticed that my wife braced her left leg and grabbed the door handle in a nonchalant way. I asked her at the light why she braced. Her answer not upset in any way. Oh honey I just thought you were gonna go for the apex's I love her for that. lol. Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Haha that's great! My husband just swears as I laugh like a maniac

Old 11-08-2014, 01:32 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I replaced my tie rod assemblies, picked up tires and got an alignment. I noticed that the sway bar links were shot. ECS sent me a new set and I swapped them all out this morning. R53 is very quiet now, no more klunking at the front right and rear left.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 AM
percymon
2nd Gear
Day 5 of ownership, and looking like its been on a wet muddy rally stage it was time for some TLC..

snowfoamed, washed, dried, given a quick polish with Meguiars 205, topped with Rejex, and then a layer of Zymol Ital wax for a little added protection (and great water beading ). Wheels waxed with FinishKare 1000p high temperature paste wax. Exterior plastics with Gtechniq C4.

Glass got some GTechniq G4 nanopolish followed by G1 and G2.

Seats and mats treated to Gyeon FabricCoat and Gyeon LeatherCoat

Treated the fuel tank to some 98 Octane to keep it happy

And yes, its pouring with rain now - typical !

Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gave it a bath and now it's all nice and sparkly.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by percymon
Day 5 of ownership, and looking like its been on a wet muddy rally stage it was time for some TLC..

snowfoamed, washed, dried, given a quick polish with Meguiars 205, topped with Rejex, and then a layer of Zymol Ital wax for a little added protection (and great water beading ). Wheels waxed with FinishKare 1000p high temperature paste wax. Exterior plastics with Gtechniq C4.

Glass got some GTechniq G4 nanopolish followed by G1 and G2.

Seats and mats treated to Gyeon FabricCoat and Gyeon LeatherCoat

Treated the fuel tank to some 98 Octane to keep it happy

And yes, its pouring with rain now - typical !
You know when I first bought the GTechniq products for my MCS I spent $130 to treat the black vinyl trim around the car, but after it rained it all washed off. I found a gold mine as far as treating black vinyl trim, Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Sponge restorer lasts for several weeks. Penetrol is used by many Jeep owners that go off road a lot and great for sailboats as well. It lats 9-12 months. It's nice and sunny here in CA, I'm about to turn on the AC.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
The way the white paint was peeking through the grilles was driving me crazy so I took them both off and painted it black behind them. If you buy the jcw style grills for your r53 you should do this before you put them on and save yourself the work.

Before

After

Old 11-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Washed, waxed, shined and I'm waiting on new front & back wiper blades. Such a beautiful afternoon to admire and tell myself just what a sweet little car I have. We're ready for what ever the winter storms bring in.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
Washed, waxed, shined and I'm waiting on new front & back wiper blades. Such a beautiful afternoon to admire and tell myself just what a sweet little car I have. We're ready for what ever the winter storms bring in.
I just ordered the Aero Wiper Blade Conversion Kit from ECS Tuning, I spent some serious money there. Currently my MCS is getting added layers of clear coat, I guess you could say it's getting manicure.

1. Aero Wiper Blade Conversion Kit
2. Wheel Arch Molding x4
3. Bentley Manual
4. Front Door Seals x2
5. Side Skirt Right/Left
6. A - Pillar Black Trim Cover R/L
7. Gasket For A Pillars R/L
8. Master Trim/Moulding Tool Kit

Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
I just ordered the Aero Wiper Blade Conversion Kit from ECS Tuning, I spent some serious money there. Currently my MCS is getting added layers of clear coat, I guess you could say it's getting manicure.

2. Wheel Arch Molding x4
3. Bentley Manual
4. Front Door Seals x2
5. Side Skirt Right/Left

Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Added matte black sport stripes today! Also plasti dipped my black brake ducts to red to test whether I'd want to order the OEM chili red ones (opinions?). The previous owner added the "Cooper" badge above the JCW badge for some bizarre reason so I also took the badge off today as well. The nasty adhesive has since been removed!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-2420010077.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-2462858037.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Added matte black sport stripes today! Also plasti dipped my black brake ducts to red to test whether I'd want to order the OEM chili red ones (opinions?). The previous owner added the "Cooper" badge above the JCW badge for some bizarre reason so I also took the badge off today as well. The nasty adhesive has since been removed!
Very nice I prefer the matte black trim pieces to the factory black glossy trim pieces, I always like stripes on any hood. I'm thinking about doing this to my Dark Gray metallic paint with tinted windows to top off the black look. I noticed the black tail pipes as well.

Looks excellent!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Very nice I prefer the matte black trim pieces to the factory black glossy trim pieces, I always like stripes on any hood. I'm thinking about doing this to my Dark Gray metallic paint with tinted windows to top off the black look. I noticed the black tail pipes as well. Looks excellent!
Thanks! Since my hood scoop is glossy black, I decided to do matte stripes to kind of offset that. Tint is on my list for the spring I originally wanted a deep metallic gray that's semi transparent but the shop I went to didn't sell that color anymore.

You should do the stripes!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 PM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
Remove inlet muffler and installed the splitter I made. Next is the shock tower strut brace.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 PM
percymon
2nd Gear
You know when I first bought the GTechniq products for my MCS I spent $130 to treat the black vinyl trim around the car, but after it rained it all washed off. I found a gold mine as far as treating black vinyl trim, Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Sponge restorer lasts for several weeks. Penetrol is used by many Jeep owners that go off road a lot and great for sailboats as well. It lats 9-12 months. It's nice and sunny here in CA, I'm about to turn on the AC.
Preparation seems to be key for the success of most of the Gtechniq products. A thoroughly cleaning and then an IPA wipe down hopefully means the C4 will last a few months. Most black trim products last a few weeks if you're lucky in the wet UK weather, majority just appear to be oily or silicon products.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by percymon
Preparation seems to be key for the success of most of the Gtechniq products. A thoroughly cleaning and then an IPA wipe down hopefully means the C4 will last a few months. Most black trim products last a few weeks if you're lucky in the wet UK weather, majority just appear to be oily or silicon products.
That's why I ordered brand new wheel arch moldings, I may still treat them with the Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim restorer to keep then from fading in the first place.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:16 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm tellin' ya, Kiwi black shoe dye. Apply carefully, wipe off excess, use blue painter's tape if you've got a shaky hand. Lasts months, costs $3.49.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Well, I get my Mini S back all to myself! Son bought a Miata over the weekend. I thought a good choice for an 18 year old with a small budget and income pretty much from the old man! Now we can autocross each other in different rides!
I need wiper blades!! Tell me what y'all like to get?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,860 Posts
Originally Posted by fastzombie
" ECS sent me a new set and I swapped them all out this morning

2. Wheel Arch Molding x4
3. Bentley Manual
4. Front Door Seals x2
5. Side Skirt Right/Left

Awesome. Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?