General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:33 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Very sorry. Some states ( like mine) have laws about driving and cell phone use. It makes you think.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini coop
Very sorry. Some states ( like mine) have laws about driving and cell phone use. It makes you think.
ya we do as well but cant tell you how many times i see people still talking on phones, Cops included...

Old 01-17-2015, 07:20 AM
OurPassportStamps
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in California and we do have laws against using your phone while driving, but she apparently thought those were for other people.
We are just so lucky that I wasn't either getting in the car or in the car getting situated before I had put my seatbelt on. Once I figure this video thing out later today you will see the time stamp is right before 9am and that's because it wasn't set for DST. the time of the impact was 8am which is when I usually leave in the morning, but that morning I wasn't feeling so great and I decided to crawl back in bed and then work at home for the day!

Im not really liking the colors out right now....Volcano orange could work maybe with white stripes...SIGH....I loved my oxygen blue. Back to cooper research.....even though I love love love shopping... I hate shopping under pressure!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:00 AM
OurPassportStamps
1st Gear
Alrighty just to make this easy on me, but so you guys can see the video..I put it on a old FB page for when we had our travel blog. It's marked public.

I added a couple of photos and then the video is after those.
In the 1st photo you will see a police car in the background...that was where I was marked more or less.
I'm not really knowledgeable on fixing cars ( I had my mini tell me what to do, when needed). all I can say is that I was told that even though the right side and front of the car looked fine cosmetically there were a lot of issues that couldn't be seen because of the way the car bounced landing on the curb area which actually damaged the cement curb .

Also, if any of you think that there's some way an idiot troll can identify where I live with this video please let me know and I will remove it .Here's the link....https://www.facebook.com/jour.passport-
stamps

If this link doesn't work it's under Our Passport Stamps...if it really isn't working let me know and I will do youtube

Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OurPassportStamps
Alrighty just to make this easy on me, but so you guys can see the video..I put it on a old FB page for when we had our travel blog. It's marked public.

I added a couple of photos and then the video is after those.
In the 1st photo you will see a police car in the background...that was where I was marked more or less.
I'm not really knowledgeable on fixing cars ( I had my mini tell me what to do, when needed). all I can say is that I was told that even though the right side and front of the car looked fine cosmetically there were a lot of issues that couldn't be seen because of the way the car bounced landing on the curb area which actually damaged the cement curb .

Also, if any of you think that there's some way an idiot troll can identify where I live with this video please let me know and I will remove it .Here's the link....https://www.facebook.com/jour.passport-
stamps

If this link doesn't work it's under Our Passport Stamps...if it really isn't working let me know and I will do youtube
correct link:https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
:(

Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Awesome and congrats. What color STP plates did you get and pics are a must installed.
Installed the STP plates so I figured a picture was in order. I am very pleased with the quality and look, thanks ECS!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-photo-jan-16-4-56-28-pm.jpg  
Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 PM
flpat73
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OurPassportStamps
Today, I said Good Bye to my beloved Mini with tears running down my face. So let me tell you about yesterday, when my MINI did a wheelie, flew through the air landed a 100 feet away, bounced and then was impaled by another car. my mint condition 2010 Oxygen Blue was sleeping in, parked in his spot at the front of house. A 77 year old woman was driving down our residential street at excessive speeds, she dropped her iPhone and leaned over to pick it up, in the process of doing that she accelerated and veered into my parked Mini named Passeparout ( skeleton key in French). That's when the wheelie, flying Mini happened Back to today, I was told there was well over 25,000 dollars in damage, so it has been totaled...I picked up the personalized license plates today and said my goodbyes. I know it's JUST a car, but yet it wasn't JUST a car it was by little MINI! If anyone can tell me how to embed a .mov. I can share the video of this that our neighbors security system caught!
So sorry for your loss. I would also cry if that thing happens to me. 😢 It's good that both parties are ok. Good luck on your next MINI.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Took it to the dealer for service and got to drive an f56 for a bit, I prefer my r53

Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Took it to the dealer for service and got to drive an f56 for a bit, I prefer my r53
I got the all4 Paceman when I was at the dealer for a few days as a loaner..I hear you on that one. I hated it, I missed my r53 just after driving away from the dealer haha!!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 AM
mishanja
4th Gear
Finished my rear suspension upgrade by installing adjustable Alta end-links

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:53 PM
MiteyF
2nd Gear
After a massive coolant loss at work, and a tow home, I discovered a $1 o-ring cost me a 3 day weekend last week. Even with the heater cranked in the garage, I don't think the temp got above 20 degrees, which makes laying on the ground that much less pleasant. Oh, and now I need to get my AC recharged

Name:  IMAG1634_zpsxa5igkds.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  83.6 KB

Old 01-18-2015, 05:58 PM
OurPassportStamps
1st Gear
Today...I said to my new MINI ...

Hey you're kinda cute and we could have a lot of fun buying accessories together....
Do you wanna come home with me???

Soooooo...to give a little closure to the story...I now have a 2015 white on white Countryman S .
My options were REALLY limited since our dealer 1. Has an extremely quick turnover so inventory was limited.
2. What inventory they had was all very dark colors, which is not my taste.

Unfortunatley, I couldn't order anything because I learned this little tidbit...If your Mini is being repaired after an accident
you will be covered for 30 days rental car. If your MIni is totalled out, you are covered for 7 days rental car.
this is with AAA and State Farm..I'm not sure about others.

Shopping under pressure sucks, even for me a world class shopper (my hubby can vouch for that).
I figured the white on white is like a blank canvas and I can accessorize to my hearts content!!!

On a side note I think the MINI Angels from above must have waved their magic pixie dust on my choice....
because what I'm about to tell you will make you think ....ooooohhh that's weird

Here goes....According to the paperwork I saw....
The exact time my beloved 2010 Oxygen Blue Mini (Passeportout) was declared totaled
was the exact time they took delivery at the dealership of my NEW Mini.....!!!!!!!!

Also, I'm not sure where to post this either on this forum or another locations, but I have a brand new never been used,
not even out of the box...2010 Mini hardtop Car cover that I would like to sell. if anyone has any suggestions
where or how to do that please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words!
Karen

Last edited by OurPassportStamps; 01-18-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Installed the STP plates so I figured a picture was in order. I am very pleased with the quality and look, thanks ECS!

Looks great in the engine bay. Thanks for the order.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Originally Posted by walk0080
What a revelation when I dropped of my crappy dealer-provided Nissan Versa Note and drove away in my R56 JCW. I only wish I had a loaner MINI - Any MINI version of any vintage would have been nicer!

Illegal here as well but generally ignored - even by police officers. Enforcement is still lax and no offence but if the cops don't follow the rules... Amazing nobody seriously hurt. Very sorry for the OP's loss of the car - not fair at all.

Thanks. I had a look yesterday at the shiny new part under the air box and is exactly as pictured. Car seems to run the same as before - I assume the design change is pretty minimal (extra tubing on the right to PVC). I am a little curious if the additional tubing to PVC would have any impact on carbon build-up - or it is purely to help with moisture collection/freezing?

Reminds me I need to clean up the road salt from the engine bay.

You are welcome. Some people believe that is will reduce the carbon build up, as places the valve cover ventilation right before the port, but this has yet to be determined since so few have this part. I know its so the moisture / freezing issue above all.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
I finally finished my shifter mod... I bought a Cravenspeed shift well cover to eliminate the old leather shift boot a while back, but it left the shifter looking unfinished. Instead of painting it and making a huge mess, I picked up some black heat shrink from Home Depot and voila! No more ugly metal shifter! I think it turned out really well and matches the interior color.

Unfortunately it's dark and the picture is with an iPhone. Anyways, here's the before and after...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_1582.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_1783.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:36 AM
Piano Man
3rd Gear
Got 2 new front Cooper tires, an alignment (the toe was way out and ruined my old ones), an gave her a long overdue bath and wax. Looks sweet! Drives sweeter! Motor on!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM
thatchmo
1st Gear
Hey all,

Finally got around to almost finishing my rear brake job yesterday. Replaced pads, rotors, and the seal and boot of the cylinder on both calipers. Both of the Torx screws holding the rotors in were seized, so I had to drill them out - definitely made the project more difficult than I wanted it to be at the start.

In addition, I couldn't figure out why the driver's pads looked brand new and the passengers had tripped the wear sensor... then I noticed that the brake line and the bleed screw on the driver's side caliper had been switched by whoever did the brakes previously. So, I've basically been driving with only 3 working brakes, as far as I can tell ! The reason I noticed was that the brake line wouldn't fit into the carrier bracket on the strut, so I looked at the other side and noticed the difference. First of all, why does MINI make the threads for the line and the bleed screw the same? And secondly - this is the most recent in a long line of things I've discovered on this car that really give me concern about the used car place where I bought it. (Tires were inflated to 80, 60, 50 and 40 psi when I bought it, had purple headlights that they wouldn't switch out, seemed incredibly peeved that I asked to take it to a third-party mechanic before purchasing, etc., etc.) At this point, I think I've managed to correct everything that could have gone wrong so far, so now the car is in the condition it should have been when I bought it. Fingers crossed...

Anyway - brakes are almost done. Still have to bleed again (going to try a higher pressure on the Motive bleeder to see if it works any better, per recommendations on NAM), and adjust the parking brake.

Motor On!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
Bought Koni Sports and an H-Sport 19mm rear bar,
as well as new front upper strut mounts and rubber bits
and bolts. Now will wait for a warm weekend to do it.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thatchmo
First of all, why does MINI make the threads for the line and the bleed screw the same?
First, sorry to hear about your troubles with the car, and glad that you've sorted pretty much everything out!

The threads for the line and the bleeder are the same because they only have to make one caliper body. Flip it upside down to mount on the other side of the car, and switch the fluid line and brake bleeder screw, and Bob's your uncle!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Painted my roof,mirrors,headlamp trim,and boot trim

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Roof was white

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
New wheels. 16X7 Rota RB gloss black with polished lip. Pics tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Mini got detailed while it had the week off in the garage. Looks new.
I put on my new vanity plate "Max Min" (over the Mackinac Bridge), replacing my long running "621 AOK" (how many of you get that one?). All this in my heated garage/office.

Next I coaxed the two dogs into the back (Clubman), and we went for a post dinner/pre bed drive out into the 20º snowy landscape. The seat was max heated, the orange glow lighting off the dash was a perfect foil to the blue snow outside.

We drove a scenic coastal road for 20 minutes, then stopped at a park and took the freezing fresh air. All the way home the Mini was just the best driving car ever. Like a comfy go-cart with a great stereo.

I've been driving my wife's car all week (Veloster Turbo) while she's traveling, but I had to move the Mini out of the garage so that my step son could have it for his Mini (R53). So instead of just pulling into the driveway, me and the dogs did this winter night tour.

Just a great moment to have a Mini.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Our Passport Stamps,
What an interesting story of your new Mini you posted above.
Yes, a very cool coincidence indeed. White cars are great, you'll enjoy it, and they age well.
Still a totaled Oxygen Blue Mini is a sad thought. [Almost as much a downer as watching an ASPCA commercial with Sarah McMachlan]
Good luck with your new Mini, delivered as the old Mini departed...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?