General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
No way that's legit, how exactly do you do that? Is there a tutorial or link that explains this? I wanna do mine now.
No tutorial or link but i remembered someone whether it was on this forum or on another explained how it was done... I just finally got brave enought to do it.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, it looks really cool. Do you have a close up. This can be done to the Euro taillights also as the share the same chrome. Seen the Red Laminx X taillight film almost do the same thing, but this is better.
I'll take a closer pic later today after work.

The only hard part is trying to make the seal whether you use the black silicone adhesive or JB Weld, look smooth. At least with the JB Weld you have the option of sanding it smoother. Main thing is you want to be sure you seal it completely. The nice thing about our taillights is that it kinda sits recessed in the body so it hides the sides where you're sealing it.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 808keith
No tutorial or link but i remembered someone whether it was on this forum or on another explained how it was done... I just finally got brave enought to do it. I'll take a closer pic later today after work. The only hard part is trying to make the seal whether you use the black silicone adhesive or JB Weld, look smooth. At least with the JB Weld you have the option of sanding it smoother. Main thing is you want to be sure you seal it completely. The nice thing about our taillights is that it kinda sits recessed in the body so it hides the sides where you're sealing it.
Yeah please post pics and explain a little better if you don't mind. So how did you actually split it? And then you used alcohol to take the chrome off?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Yeah please post pics and explain a little better if you don't mind. So how did you actually split it? And then you used alcohol to take the chrome off?
with a dremel tool with the cut-off wheel attachment. slowly cut between the lens and black housing. You'll want to cut all the way through.

Yes I used rubbing alcohol to wipe the chrome off. It's painted onto the red lens so in actuality it's an all red lens with the edges painted chrome. The alcohol takes off the chrome without any damage to the red lens.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
with a dremel tool with the cut-off wheel attachment. slowly cut between the lens and black housing. You'll want to cut all the way through. Yes I used rubbing alcohol to wipe the chrome off. It's painted onto the red lens so in actuality it's an all red lens with the edges painted chrome. The alcohol takes off the chrome without any damage to the red lens.
Awesome thanks! I'm going to be doing this for sure can you post a few pics later if you don't mind.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started to remove the Cooper s badge. Still got some cleaning... Enjoy..
How did you go about removing the badge? A fishing line?

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM
mishanja
4th Gear

I am not sure if this applies to Mini lights (or can even be done) but I had to "cook" my Infiniti headlights in the oven for about 3-5 minutes at 375F and then just pull them apart. Then cook them again and put together.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:38 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Awesome thanks! I'm going to be doing this for sure can you post a few pics later if you don't mind.
Here's some pics. Hard to tell without me removing the tail lights again. You'll see what I mean though wen you remove your tail lights where the separation is between the lens and body of the housing. That small gap area is where you want to cut through.

So you don't need to be super **** on the sealing part as its hidden once you put the lens back on the car.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-3979061239.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-996828706.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-1830491081.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-image-3355177469.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
How did you go about removing the badge? A fishing line? Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Yup fishing line. Need to source a steamer to remove the rest of the adhesive.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mishanja
I am not sure if this applies to Mini lights (or can even be done) but I had to "cook" my Infiniti headlights in the oven for about 3-5 minutes at 375F and then just pull them apart. Then cook them again and put together.
I'm not sure I would attempt to heat these. Seems like the adhesive is a little more permanent unlike the headlights. Converting my f-150 to bi-xenon I could but my choice I wouldn't with these tail lights.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Here's some pics. Hard to tell without me removing the tail lights again. You'll see what I mean though wen you remove your tail lights where the separation is between the lens and body of the housing. That small gap area is where you want to cut through.

So you don't need to be super **** on the sealing part as its hidden once you put the lens back on the car.
NICE, thanks for the picks I really appreciate it. Came out awesome. I was looking online and some people actually seperate the chrome part and paint that as well. But I like this look. Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:50 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
FYI for all of you looking to open your tail lights, it's not as simple as heating them and opening them. The housing is melted to the lens. You will need to use a dremel to cut the lens from the housing to open them. When you reassemble it, just use silicone to re-seal it. I did this on my R56...

Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Those taillights are awesome! What did you color the lenses with?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Those taillights are awesome! What did you color the lenses with?
2 coats of VHT Nightshades for the red lens tint...

3 coats of Spray on Pepper White (850) for the chrome reflector...

All painted/tinted surfaces were hit with 2-3 coats of spray clear coat.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Where did you cut exactly? Right where the clear lense meets the red plastic and is "welded"? Also when you painted the lenses, did you sand them down and/or remove the chrome prior to painting?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
2 coats of VHT Nightshades for the red lens tint...

3 coats of Spray on Pepper White (850) for the chrome reflector...

All painted/tinted surfaces were hit with 2-3 coats of spray clear coat.

WOW that looks awesome too! Unrelated question: did you use plastidip or vinyl to black out all of your chrome? I am in the same boat and looking for the best options!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:20 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2 coats of VHT Nightshades for the red lens tint... 3 coats of Spray on Pepper White (850) for the chrome reflector... All painted/tinted surfaces were hit with 2-3 coats of spray clear coat.
Have you, or has anyone else, tried to REMOVE VHT nightshades? In case we go too far into the inky black...

Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Where did you cut exactly? Right where the clear lense meets the red plastic and is "welded"? Also when you painted the lenses, did you sand them down and/or remove the chrome prior to painting?
(The picture is of an aftermarket housing that I'm not using... It's the same basic layout as the stock part.

Cut JUST inside the black foam (RED ARROWS). Take your time and feel it out. When you feel like the resistance has gone away, you've cut through the red housing. Be careful not to go so deep that you cut the clear lens. When you're done, carefully disassemble the inner pieces and you should have what is shown in the second picture...

I can upload more detailed pictures tomorrow if you'd like.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_1923.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-1-7.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
WOW that looks awesome too! Unrelated question: did you use plastidip or vinyl to black out all of your chrome? I am in the same boat and looking for the best options!
I used vinyl for most the beltline except the hood portion.
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html

The tail light rings, MINI badge, Cooper S, side scuttles, beltline on the hood, and gas cap are all Plastidip.

The head light rings and grill surround are replacement parts from outmotoring.
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rill_trim.html
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...rior_trim.html

The exhaust tips were done with Black Gloss Engine Enamel.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...5yc1vZapz5Z89c

The reverse lamps, and scuttle signals were also done with 2 coats of VHT Nightshades.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
Have you, or has anyone else, tried to REMOVE VHT nightshades? In case we go too far into the inky black...
This works...

Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Awesome! Thanks a lot! And if you have time feel free to add detailed photos. Maybe even make a separate thread? I'm sure people would love to do this.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Awesome! Thanks a lot! And if you have time feel free to add detailed photos. Maybe even make a separate thread? I'm sure people would love to do this.
There already is a thread... Someone else did this mod in 2012. That's where I got the idea. I feel that his thread is missing some important details, so I may update it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...aillights.html

Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM
BbyDenns
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by walk0080
Last week completed a 2,250 km (1,400 mls)

Oh and I think my brake rotors are getting warped :-( I torque the lugs, but maybe the last service the wheels were removed without me knowing. Still seems rare for JCW rotors to warp. The car is street driven only.

Regarding the rotors:

I thought the same thing about my rear passenger side, it was scraping occasionally and it sounded like it was just one scrape per revolution.
It turned out the top bolt on the caliper mount/bracket was missing and when I braked the force twisted the mount and it was rubbing on the edge of the rotor.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
You've inspired me to do a detailed write-up on both the Gen1 and Gen2 tail lamp mods... All I need are a tail light from each generation.

Anybody know someone willing to part with a tail light? I'll even take broken ones if they have them...

Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
You've inspired me to do a detailed write-up on both the Gen1 and Gen2 tail lamp mods... All I need are a tail light from each generation.

Anybody know someone willing to part with a tail light? I'll even take broken ones if they have them...
PLEASE post link when you do. I am very interested in this and even have a set of old crappy taillights hanging around i wanna experiment on first

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?