General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checked the oil. About 3,000 miles/7 months after purchase and it's looking low. Ordered the oil change kit with filter set and will pick up some oil shortly, should be changed by next week if time & family cooperates. It also gives me piece of mind it's the right oil. The GM dealership I bought it from used a synthetic 5W-30 but no idea which or if they actually did.

While ordering oil also ordered a number of other goodies. More updates on those when they come in.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:08 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finished installing EBC Reds.... Helix ssk... Dunno why mini doesn't do this to all mini's that leave the factory... it's like it should've came short shifted..

Old 03-06-2015, 11:53 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Collected more parts for install... just waiting on that ship!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:26 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Picked up some Chili Red touch up paint for the roof from the dealership today.
I was quoted on the phone CAD$35 (base coat / clear coat pair) which is a rip off. Arrived at the dealership and they wanted to charge list price of CAD$45 which is even more ridiculous. Anyways I did get if for quoted $35 in the end.

Visited an RV show locally last week and checked out some Airstreams from CanAM RV provided by London, Ontario, Canada. Made me think of revisiting this idea:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...osy-64160.html

They had a smart looking Chrysler 300 with a 30' (?) Airstream on show.
How do you think the touchup paint will hold up? I have a few things I want to touch up myself but was always iffy about the paint holding up..

WOW thats interesting. Mine as well pull a tiny house haha thats what I want to do

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LCA bushings
SC oil
Sway Bar Bushings
Crank Sensor gasket replacement

I was surprised how much the handling improved after replacing the bushings.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
My last MINI had some spots with touch up and it didn't flake by the time I returned it end of lease. It includes the base colour and a clear coat as well.

The MINI towing the Airstream is interesting. From what I understand it was setup for a Canadian dealership but may have since been sold to an American. It's definitely cheaper than having to purchase a truck or SUV just for towing I suppose.
Cool I guess ill have to look into it then, where is the cheapest and best place to buy it?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:25 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Yeah I have a lead foot, mods, and it's winter. We will see how this summer treats me. But let me know how it goes I am interested in seeing if it changes anything. Thanks !!
After a week of driving to and from work, the MINI's average went from 23.0 mpg to 24.0 mpg.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-07-2015, 06:07 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
After a week of driving to and from work, the MINI's average went from 23.0 mpg to 24.0 mpg.

Hope that helps!
Sweet! Just what I needed to hear, gives me a reason to do it! Thanks!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know that site all too well! Hate that piece with a passion! Never understand why MINI created such a weak link on the motor.

Interesting piece from Amazon. There appears to be a concern with the amount of wobble when attached to the motor. Let us know how the install goes and if you experience it as well.
Well, I have been running that PRW for about a week now and I couldn't be more satisfied. I was quite impressed with it right out of the box. After mounting and testing before buttoning up the job, I didn't notice any wobble whatsoever. I'm running aftermarket engine mounts and it seems to have taken that NVH away. I'd buy it again.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bjcarter2
Well, I have been running that PRW for about a week now and I couldn't be more satisfied. I was quite impressed with it right out of the box. After mounting and testing before buttoning up the job, I didn't notice any wobble whatsoever. I'm running aftermarket engine mounts and it seems to have taken that NVH away. I'd buy it again.
Sweet, ill look into this too. I have a growing list of parts to buy now!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:50 PM
jcwmini04
1st Gear
Bigger injectors and remap

Dropped in Fiveo Motor Sports 450cc Injectors and pulled the JCW Flash off the car and reworked it with Alientech/ECM Titanium. PM for JCW Stock Bin details if anyone wants it. Not sure if thats allowed but this stuff should be public information for how gd hard it is to find a Mini Bin on the web.

For: 2004 JCW Mini 19% Pulley and 450cc Injectors, Wizard of NoS 50 Shot, Custom Headers no cat JCW Cat back with bypass.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcwmini04
Dropped in Fiveo Motor Sports 450cc Injectors and pulled the JCW Flash off the car and reworked it with Alientech/ECM Titanium. PM for JCW Stock Bin details if anyone wants it. Not sure if thats allowed but this stuff should be public information for how gd hard it is to find a Mini Bin on the web.

For: 2004 JCW Mini 19% Pulley and 450cc Injectors, Wizard of NoS 50 Shot, Custom Headers no cat JCW Cat back with bypass.
Can I tune the JCW flash into my 2006 r53 S?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:52 PM
jcwmini04
1st Gear

Can I tune the JCW flash into my 2006 r53 S?
Yes you could, however depending on your current modifications, it may stress various aspects of a stock S valve train and head, also the injectors will most likely be maxed out, just as the JCW injectors were working hard based on the map and parameter. Mine failed after several mods justifying the upgrade which I would recommend to anyone increasing load as these Siemens dme learn to an extent so you will be fine. Other than that you would be g2g. Just grab some bigger injectors.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:18 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Sweet! Just what I needed to hear, gives me a reason to do it! Thanks!
I would. Cant hurt... Now, if you have a heavy right foot, you will need to retrain yourself and be good! Just remember, the new top gasket is flared and needs to be tucked inside the canister before you button everything up.

Name:  DSC05870_zpslfjbjnfl.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  63.6 KB

Originally Posted by bjcarter2
Oh good! Glad to hear there are more alternatives. Let us know when you hit 5k, 10k and so on in case anyone is interested and wants long term results.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I would. Cant hurt... Now, if you have a heavy right foot, you will need to retrain yourself and be good! Just remember, the new top gasket is flared and needs to be tucked inside the canister before you button everything up.

Oh good! Glad to hear there are more alternatives. Let us know when you hit 5k, 10k and so on in case anyone is interested and wants long term results.
Thanks again ill keep that in mind its on my LONG to do list. Lets hope I can get some free time this spring break..

Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 AM
4Quarts
1st Gear
Changed the oil, filter and cleaned the K&N Air Filter this weekend. My neighbor came over to see what I was up to (he always stops bye when I'm in the garage). He asked if I needed any help. I replied, "Yeah, remove the air filter for me and wash it using this kit". He just looked at me and said; "I'm not sure I know how to do that"! I just smiled and said, "I've goth this"!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 AM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Quarts
Changed the oil, filter and cleaned the K&N Air Filter this weekend. My neighbor came over to see what I was up to (he always stops bye when I'm in the garage). He asked if I needed any help. I replied, "Yeah, remove the air filter for me and wash it using this kit". He just looked at me and said; "I'm not sure I know how to do that"! I just smiled and said, "I've goth this"!

Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
The weather finally broke and I was able to do some work! I installed my NM Torque Arm Inserts, ALTA BOV Spring, and matte black door handle covers.

The torque arm inserts were cake to install... The whole process took about 6 minutes. These things really make a difference! The bogging down from the line is gone, the BS jerky shift from 1 to 2 is gone, and the engine just feels like it's transferring power much more effectively. I do feel a minor increase in vibration during idle, but it's nothing that would ever bother me.

The BOV spring on the other hand was a *****! The BOV is nearly impossible to get to because of coolant lines and reservoir. On top of that, the screws were really hard to get out and back in. I actually had to fabricate a tool to get them in and out. Once the screws were off it was a simple swap.

I had been waiting on the matte black door handle covers since November last year! OutMotoring is the only retailer that carried them. They FINALLY have them back in stock. :D

Now I just need to black out my hood emblem and tint the fender reflectors to finish the black out.

Last edited by Centium; 03-09-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Notes about NM inserts...
Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
The weather finally broke and I was able to do some work! I installed my NM Torque Arm Inserts, ALTA BOV Spring, and matte black door handle covers.

The torque arm inserts were cake to install... The whole process took about 6 minutes. These things really make a difference! The bogging down from the line is gone, the BS jerky shift from 1 to 2 is gone, and the engine just feels like it's transferring power much more effectively. I do feel a minor increase in vibration during idle, but it's nothing that would ever bother me.

The BOV spring on the other hand was a *****! The BOV is nearly impossible to get to because of coolant lines and reservoir. On top of that, the screws were really hard to get out and back in. I actually had to fabricate a tool to get them in and out. Once the screws were off it was a simple swap.

I had been waiting on the matte black door handle covers since November last year! OutMotoring is the only retailer that carried them. They FINALLY have them back in stock. :D

Now I just need to black out my hood emblem and tint the fender reflectors to finish the black out.
Nice! Sounds like a successful weekend! How do you plan on doing the emblems? I am in the blackout process myself currently. Debating doing them on the hood with plastidip but not so sure..

Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Nice! Sounds like a successful weekend! How do you plan on doing the emblems? I am in the blackout process myself currently. Debating doing them on the hood with plastidip but not so sure..
I've actually already done the rear emblem with PlastiDip. I managed to get it done last fall before the temperature dropped to below freezing for 3 months. It turned out pretty good. After the harsh Chicago winter with the snow, sub-zero temps, road salt, and 10+ car washes, the PlastiDip is still perfect!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4023287

Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I've actually already done the rear emblem with PlastiDip. I managed to get it done last fall before the temperature dropped to below freezing for 3 months. It turned out pretty good. After the harsh Chicago winter with the snow, sub-zero temps, road salt, and 10+ car washes, the PlastiDip is still perfect!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4023287
Yeah it looks awesome thats exactly what I am looking to do this week. Did you keep it on or take it off to do that? How did you not have any overspray?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Yeah it looks awesome thats exactly what I am looking to do this week. Did you keep it on or take it off to do that? How did you not have any overspray?
I don't have overspray on the outside because I used printer paper and blue painters tape to mask off everything around the emblem. I essentially masked off most of the back of the car due to it being a bit windy when I was spraying. Even if there is some overspray that is too fine to peel of, you can remove it using a soft cloth and some elbow grease.

There's no overspray on the logo because I used a surgical blade to cut it out and remove it after it had dried. I couldn't just peel it off as you see others doing in all of the videos due to the fact that there is no separation between the wings and the circular logo.

The video below is a good example of how to do this properly.

Here is a video showing how to do the name badges.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I don't have overspray on the outside because I used printer paper and blue painters tape to mask off everything around the emblem. I essentially masked off most of the back of the car due to it being a bit windy when I was spraying. Even if there is some overspray that is too fine to peel of, you can remove it using a soft cloth and some elbow grease.

There's no overspray on the logo because I used a surgical blade to cut it out and remove it after it had dried. I couldn't just peel it off as you see others doing in all of the videos due to the fact that there is no separation between the wings and the circular logo.

The video below is a good example of how to do this properly.

Blacked Out Emblems with Plasti Dip - YouTube

Here is a video showing how to do the name badges.

How to Plasti Dip Badges - YouTube
Thanks so much for the help and videos, so you actually painted over the paint just like in the videos and then just peeled it off? This looks easier than I thought..

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?