General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM
photoboi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered Mine does that count? LOL

Old 03-17-2015, 07:09 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Had an odd skip/sudden hesitation sometimes when engine was under load. Figured it was either an injector, or bad coil pack. Ordered up a new MSD Coil Pack from Way Motor Works and plugged it in today, that did the trick.
Oh good. I remember when mine went at 89k miles. Annoying, but an easy fix.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mishanja
I used Madness polyurethane ones. And I actually ordered them pre-pressed into the hardware (in exchange I sent out my old cores back - I thought that would be the hardest part of installing them).
As far as getting old ones out, mine were so bad, that they fell out from the cores and all I had to do is to cut the metal bracing around the bushing and just brute-force it out That part took 15 minutes each side
Oh sweet I think I will go the same route as you then. Did you drop the subframe and all of that or just unscrew the old hardware and install the new? Is there a video or reference I can look at for this? I will be doing this in my garage along with installing FSDs and a rear sway bar all in one weekend. Hope it isnt too much for me to take on !!

Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 AM
r7denz
1st Gear
Gave her a quick wash. Checked the brakes and tire pressure. Now I'm ready for a long drive tomorrow.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 AM
mishanja
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson

Oh sweet I think I will go the same route as you then. Did you drop the subframe and all of that or just unscrew the old hardware and install the new? Is there a video or reference I can look at for this? I will be doing this in my garage along with installing FSDs and a rear sway bar all in one weekend. Hope it isnt too much for me to take on !!
Unfortunately, you will have to drop the subframe. There is no way to get to bolts that hold cores in place otherwise. I used write-up on pelicanparts (I look for a link) is totally doable in a weekend, I did that, plus both new sway bars (front and rear) plus new coilovers in 2.5 days

Old 03-18-2015, 05:57 AM
mishanja
4th Gear
Old 03-18-2015, 06:39 AM
mvision7m
2nd Gear
O ok, if you dont mind me asking how much did they charge so I have an idea for mine. Also did you go stock or the polyflex ones?
Right around $950 all in (inc. tax). They did have to drop the sub frame etc. The description of what was done does seem pretty time consuming.

<TTButtonContent: 0x1765fb80>

Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Thanks I will check it out this after noon, I am also looking for a video about dropping the subframe. As an engineering student and **** OCD guy I feel I can tackle this project but I don't have a ton of tools, and experience so I wonder if it is a little too much to take on. Also this is my DD I dont want to mess with the car I use everyday and have it stuck if I mess something up..HELP haha!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM
mishanja
4th Gear
Thanks I will check it out this after noon, I am also looking for a video about dropping the subframe. As an engineering student and **** OCD guy I feel I can tackle this project but I don't have a ton of tools, and experience so I wonder if it is a little too much to take on. Also this is my DD I dont want to mess with the car I use everyday and have it stuck if I mess something up..HELP haha!
There are no special tools needed for this job (well, joint separator is useful) Overall, i think there are about 25-30 bolts/nuts you will have to undo (and then redo). Just in general, the steps are something like that: remove front bumper, remove bumper support, remove crush tubes (that hold bumper support). Then get underneath, remove power steering fan (unhooking two connectors to steering pump is tricky, just because you can't see them very well, but there are only two, so can't really mistakenly remove something else), disconnect steering rack, and remove some miscellaneous holding subframe in place. You will need a jack to put underneath the subframe, when you will be lowering it (but subframe has nice round hole that fit exactly into my jack).
The process looks complicated, but if you go slow and make sure you read instructions, you should be good Plus, that is $1k you can spend on mods

Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mvision7m
Right around $950 all in (inc. tax). They did have to drop the sub frame etc. The description of what was done does seem pretty time consuming.

<TTButtonContent: 0x1765fb80>
WOW, just for the installation? or is that with parts as well??

Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
There are no special tools needed for this job (well, joint separator is useful) Overall, i think there are about 25-30 bolts/nuts you will have to undo (and then redo). Just in general, the steps are something like that: remove front bumper, remove bumper support, remove crush tubes (that hold bumper support). Then get underneath, remove power steering fan (unhooking two connectors to steering pump is tricky, just because you can't see them very well, but there are only two, so can't really mistakenly remove something else), disconnect steering rack, and remove some miscellaneous holding subframe in place. You will need a jack to put underneath the subframe, when you will be lowering it (but subframe has nice round hole that fit exactly into my jack).
The process looks complicated, but if you go slow and make sure you read instructions, you should be good Plus, that is $1k you can spend on mods
Thats a GOOD point! I am slowly building the confidence to try it myself. I am going to put it in "front end service mode" this week just to get a feel for it..

Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 PM
mishanja
4th Gear
If that includes parts, that is not too bad. I was quoted $1200+ to do the job. Thats when I said, forget it, I'll do it myself.
I am not sure how shops calculate labor, but the independent one I took my Mini into, was cross checking with BMW dealership's system, so maybe that is the reason for such a high price

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Vkng
2nd Gear
Spring time wash and wax. Made a summer upgrade shopping list.

The bug never goes away.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM
mvision7m
2nd Gear
All in. Parts, labor and tax.

mvision7m 06' MCS 6spd

Old 03-18-2015, 01:48 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Unfortunately, you will have to drop the subframe. There is no way to get to bolts that hold cores in place otherwise. I used write-up on pelicanparts (I look for a link) is totally doable in a weekend, I did that, plus both new sway bars (front and rear) plus new coilovers in 2.5 days
Dropping the subframe isn't necessary, makes it easier but it's not necessary my buddy and I did his in the gravel driveway. Took about ten hours, just had to slightly release the subframe to get the clearance.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
mishanja
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Dropping the subframe isn't necessary, makes it easier but it's not necessary my buddy and I did his in the gravel driveway. Took about ten hours, just had to slightly release the subframe to get the clearance.
Interesting. So did you have to take the front apart? Or is that unnecessary???

Old 03-18-2015, 06:11 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Really ten hours? I am getting ready to build up to doing this. Can't decide if I am going to drop the frame or just loosen things up and drop the back end down so I can get that last bolt out on either LCA bracket.

I have PS lines to do as well, so I might as well drop it. But I was hoping it would not take that long. I was shooting for 5-6 hours. I have the tools and am a bit handy around cars. (Getting ready to swap motors in the CRX)

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM
mishanja
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ

Really ten hours? I am getting ready to build up to doing this. Can't decide if I am going to drop the frame or just loosen things up and drop the back end down so I can get that last bolt out on either LCA bracket.

I have PS lines to do as well, so I might as well drop it. But I was hoping it would not take that long. I was shooting for 5-6 hours. I have the tools and am a bit handy around cars. (Getting ready to swap motors in the CRX)
I think it's reasonable to do in 6 hours. It took me long the first time around (about 12) but knowing it now, I probably could do it in 6

Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I cant seem to find any videos on this at all. I am a visual hands on person and would like to see pics or a video before tackling this...

Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM
mishanja
4th Gear
I cant seem to find any videos on this at all. I am a visual hands on person and would like to see pics or a video before tackling this...
I used pelican parts tutorial, they have every step in HD pictures

Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Vkng
2nd Gear
Along with Pelican's written tutorial with pictures, ModMini has great helmet cam videos that really helps to show HOW to do it.

Service mode

Clutch change, which includes dropping the subframe

And a newer version of the clutch change
Part 1
Part 2

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
I think it's reasonable to do in 6 hours. It took me long the first time around (about 12) but knowing it now, I probably could do it in 6
Oh cool, so it is possible! but... there is the learning curve and that always affects people differently! hehe Thanks!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Vkng
Along with Pelican's written tutorial with pictures, ModMini has great helmet cam videos that really helps to show HOW to do it.
WOW, after looking at all of those videos I think I will leave most of that stuff to the professionals. Thats a little too advanced for me. My OCD would be in overdrive..

Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 AM
mvision7m
2nd Gear
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non RF) replaced worn GoodYear Eagle F1 (RF) last night.

I've owned three sport(y) cars with manuals and have never left the tranny in gear when I parked them. The tech parked the car in gear, I started it, let off the clutch and you know what happened next. Thankfully nothing was in front of me so other than the bad start, no harm done that I can tell.

Well, wait. The ride home was uneventful. No warning lights, problems or other signs of trouble. The Super Sports seem quieter and any sharp impacts felt gentler and less harsh than with the F1 run flats. All good so far.

I get home, park the car and open the driver's door with the car still running. I heard a high pitched whine that I don't ever remember hearing before so I try to locate where it's coming from. The sound seems loudest by and appears to be coming from the driver's side rear wheel. Almost sounds like it's coming from the wheel itself however when I shut the car down, the noise stops. Start the car again and the noise returns, shut down, stops. So, it doesn't seem to be the wheels nor the tires themselves.

Now I'm driving myself bonkers trying to remember whether or not the car has always made that noise or if that "jump start" caused a problem resulting in that noise. I don't remember the car making that noise and the noise caught my ear now which makes me think if it had been there before I'd have picked up on it as I did last night.

In very similar situations in the past with my previous manual cars, someone else drove the car and parked it in gear. Usually a service tech. I've started my car in gear and jumped it and don't remember anything going wrong so I doubt I did any damage to anything. Nothing felt or sounded wrong during the drive home. Just that noise once outside the car while it's still running that I don't remember ever hearing before.

I keep telling myself to stop over reacting and being paranoid, that the car is fine and has probably always made that noise but I don't know. It's not my DD and we're expecting snow tonight so I won't get to drive the Mini again until tomorrow at best.

Anyway, all that to post that I'm on new tires.

Be well all and HAPPY MOTORING.

mvision7m 06' MCS 6spd

Old 03-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a good chance the whine your hearing back there is the fuel pump. They can get noisey over time. Of course without hearing it I can't say for sure and noises can be different person to person. But thats my guess anyway.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?