General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little spring time refresh. DDM intake, new plugs and wires.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NM turbo heatshield, cleaned inside and removed front plate. Not happy about the factory holes in the bumper!

What did you do to your mini today?-p0llbpo.jpg

What did you do to your mini today?-vzjdb5h.jpg

Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM
jeffpinto
Neutral
Installed some Bosch driving and fog lamps.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:27 PM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I just picked up a new 2012 R56 on Thursday. I just gave it a wash. I also ordered a few items for it. New aero side scuttles, a heat shield and an "actual size" sticker.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I give you: TnT

...as in Tess'n Tiny: Tess (short for Vitesse) is my '13R56s, and today, I just picked up Tiny, a 1999 Quicksilver teardrop. So yesterday I installed a hidden trailer hitch - MiniDoMore purchased from Outmotoring. I have to say I am not impressed by the hitch setup: I purchased it even though it is more expensive than the Curt setup, because it is a bit lighter (about 28 lbs vs 31). It is said to be straight bolt-on, but it is not! It is necessary to cut a small piece out of the bumper frame member.While this could be done with a hacksaw, it would take a very long time, so I used a dremel with fibre grinder wheel. But it doesn't stop there: the rear part of the drawbar receiver protrudes too far (at least hitch 1007 on my 2013 R56s), and I had to cut a substantial notch out of the rear part of the receiver AND bend a small part of the car frame! Needless to say this took some time and more tools than expected. Trouble did not stop there. The wiring harness instructions don't match my car, one of the wires is supposed to connect to a 'solide blue' wire, when there is none. And here NAM came to the rescue, another NAMer had the same issue and posted that instead of blue one should connect to yellow w. black, and voila, it worked. Bottom line, I got it to work, but for an expensive hitch this is not quite satisfactory.

It works well for towing though, especially since Tiny only weighs about 450 lbs. Now I need to MINIfy Tiny: I'm thinking about painting the wheel fenders in matching Ligthning Blue, maybe the rims in black, and also apply matching racing stripes down the middle.

And almost forgot, finally added my JB+ to make up for trailer weight. ANd boy does it do that, JB+ is phenomenal!!!!

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-tnt_resized_2.jpg  

Last edited by Zephyr1; 04-12-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
...as in Tess'n Tiny: Tess (short for Vitesse) is my 03R56s, and today, I just picked up Tiny, a 1999 Quicksilver teardrop. So yesterday I installed a hidden trailer hitch - MiniDoMore purchased from Outmotoring. I have to say I am not impressed by the hitch setup: I purchased it even though it is more expensive than the Curt setup, because it is a bit lighter (about 28 lbs vs 31). It is said to be straight bolt-on, but it is not! It is necessary to cut a small piece out of the bumper frame member.While this could be done with a hacksaw, it would take a very long time, so I used a dremel with fibre grinder wheel. But it doesn't stop there: the rear part of the drawbar receiver protrudes too far (at least hitch 1007 on my 2013 R56s), and I had to cut a substantial notch out of the rear part of the receiver AND bend a small part of the car frame! Needless to say this took some time and more tools than expected. Trouble did not stop there. The wiring harness instructions don't match my car, one of the wires is supposed to connect to a 'solide blue' wire, when there is none. And here NAM came to the rescue, another NAMer had the same issue and posted that instead of blue one should connect to yellow w. black, and voila, it worked. Bottom line, I got it to work, but for an expensive hitch this is not quite satisfactory.

It works well for towing though, especially since Tiny only weighs about 450 lbs. Now I need to MINIfy Tiny: I'm thinking about painting the wheel fenders in matching Ligthning Blue, maybe the rims in black, and also apply matching racing stripes down the middle.

And almost forgot, finally added my JB+ to make up for trailer weight. ANd boy does it do that, JB+ is phenomenal!!!!

Cheers!
What gas are you using with the JB+?

Washed and installed a roof rack that I picked up for $80. Painted the cover caps with grey plastidip because of how old and weathered they were. Not sure if I like the plastidip color/look. I might buy replacement caps.

What did you do to your mini today?-2eruzeb.jpg

What did you do to your mini today?-9mx0nbc.jpg

What did you do to your mini today?-r4ejxxu.jpg

Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 AM
r7denz
1st Gear
Just ordered the Bridgestone Driveguard's from this store- 4WO|Click Here for Tires. Was thinking of getting the Conti but I've read good reviews about the Driveguard and looks like some of the guys here are happy this tire.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
...as in Tess'n Tiny: Tess (short for Vitesse) is my 03R56s, and today, I just picked up Tiny, a 1999 Quicksilver teardrop. So yesterday I installed a hidden trailer hitch - MiniDoMore purchased from Outmotoring. I have to say I am not impressed by the hitch setup: I purchased it even though it is more expensive than the Curt setup, because it is a bit lighter (about 28 lbs vs 31). It is said to be straight bolt-on, but it is not! It is necessary to cut a small piece out of the bumper frame member.While this could be done with a hacksaw, it would take a very long time, so I used a dremel with fibre grinder wheel. But it doesn't stop there: the rear part of the drawbar receiver protrudes too far (at least hitch 1007 on my 2013 R56s), and I had to cut a substantial notch out of the rear part of the receiver AND bend a small part of the car frame! Needless to say this took some time and more tools than expected. Trouble did not stop there. The wiring harness instructions don't match my car, one of the wires is supposed to connect to a 'solide blue' wire, when there is none. And here NAM came to the rescue, another NAMer had the same issue and posted that instead of blue one should connect to yellow w. black, and voila, it worked. Bottom line, I got it to work, but for an expensive hitch this is not quite satisfactory.

Cheers!
That is awesome. I would love to buy one of these too for after I graduate college. Looks great!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
Just picked up my 2004 MC40 #24, had a new OEM windshield installed to repair a leaking seal... hit 246K miles on the way home. (Drove this one to work today).

Had to Jump Start my 2007 R52 JCW... this could have been avoided if I had just slapped the charger on it for about 30 minutes, I have three vehicles with Battery Tenders... you would think I would put one on this car as well when is stays snuggled up in the garage during the winter... oh well, lesson learned. No biggie, I just have to reset the clock.

Took my 2004 MC40 JCW #211 out for a few hot laps of the local countryside, after having a rather large screw removed from the left rear tire... it is starting throw codes pointing to a vacuum leak... time for a smoke test and some tinkering... and it needs a new 12V power outlet ordered (thanks ECS). Oh, up in the 150K miles on this one.

Motor on!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Welcome James. Love that you drive all three, well the one does sit a little.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Just picked up my 2004 MC40 #24, had a new OEM windshield installed to repair a leaking seal... hit 246K miles on the way home. (Drove this one to work today).

Had to Jump Start my 2007 R52 JCW... this could have been avoided if I had just slapped the charger on it for about 30 minutes, I have three vehicles with Battery Tenders... you would think I would put one on this car as well when is stays snuggled up in the garage during the winter... oh well, lesson learned. No biggie, I just have to reset the clock.

Took my 2004 MC40 JCW #211 out for a few hot laps of the local countryside, after having a rather large screw removed from the left rear tire... it is starting throw codes pointing to a vacuum leak... time for a smoke test and some tinkering... and it needs a new 12V power outlet ordered (thanks ECS). Oh, up in the 150K miles on this one.

Motor on!
HA! So cool that you have 3 MINIs..I have a hard time keeping the one

Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
RDY4TKF
4th Gear
I ordered a set of Enkei RPF1 wheels....woohoo 14.6 pounds each!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 PM
RAYGUNZAP
3rd Gear
A very busy day… Took out a JMTC E45R turbo and replaced it with a JCW Turbo. Jerry@ Euro Techs in Mesa Az installed a stage 3 Manic tune on the ECU. In mean time, we also installed an AR design 3" catless DP, and a brand new IPE catback exhaust. Tomorrow, we re-install the ECU… V'room, Pop and Burble!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Smartguy50
1st Gear
JCW Aero Kit Install

Picked up Winston today after the JCW AeroKit install. Thanks to ECS, I got an awesome deal on the kit. Fortune Garage in Houston did the paint and install. It looks like a factory option. also added MINI OEM Halo Driving light kit. Overall, an excellent day!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-fullsizerender.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-fullsizerender-3.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Welcome again, looks great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Installed Grey and Black Checkered...

Followed up tinting my windows by adding black and grey checkered side view mirror caps.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-side-mirror-w-win-close.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-side-mirror-w-win-open.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isleofbones
Followed up tinting my windows by adding black and grey checkered side view mirror caps.
Cool! I really like that color mini! Is that a 2014?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:01 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
It's a 2015 Mini Cooper S, Volcanic Orange. Thanks. I've always wanted a car in this color, and the mini seemed like the right car for the color.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love plastidip! This shizz is the bomb!

Name:  dJVNcOMt.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  5.9 KB

Name:  BtKZvZ0t.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  6.6 KB

EDIT: Anyone know if the airbag from a 2 spoke wheel can be used with a 3 spoke wheel? I have a line on a 3 spoke with no airbag for cheap.

James

Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
My CEL came on the other day and I plugged my scanner in to find out that it was Code P1476. “Leakage diagnostic pump clamped tube”.

Not too much information on this… there is one thread that said replace the LDP and you are good to go.

Any other thoughts on this from anyone before I drop the $103-107 for the pump? Repair looks straightforward but thought I would pick everyone’s brain before proceeding.

Cheers!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 AM
4Quarts
1st Gear
Spark Plugs and VANOS

This week my 2010 R56 spent the night at the dealership. The idle was unstable and I noticed a lack of overall performance. Fuel economy was off a bit but, not significant. The problem ended up being an oil leak causing the plugs to be oil fouled. The fix required replacement of the plugs of course as well as installation of the valve cover gasket kit which included new spark plug tube seals. Additionally, the exhaust VANOS solenoid was also replaced. $725 later, my Hardtop feels like a go-kart again!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Quarts
This week my 2010 R56 spent the night at the dealership. The idle was unstable and I noticed a lack of overall performance. Fuel economy was off a bit but, not significant. The problem ended up being an oil leak causing the plugs to be oil fouled. The fix required replacement of the plugs of course as well as installation of the valve cover gasket kit which included new spark plug tube seals. Additionally, the exhaust VANOS solenoid was also replaced. $725 later, my Hardtop feels like a go-kart again!
Have you changed the water pump yet? Those have ~5 year lifespan as well. Why did they have to replace the exhaust VANOS solenoid? Was it related to the oil leak?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 PM
JValenzSD
1st Gear
Installed a Forge FMIC, Evolve Cat-less DP, and Got the DME flashed with Manic Mini's Stage 2+ tune.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JValenzSD
Installed a Forge FMIC, Evolve Cat-less DP, and Got the DME flashed with Manic Mini's Stage 2+ tune.
What are you pushing now for BHP?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 AM
JValenzSD
1st Gear
Dyno session is next. Maybe @mariokrt can chime in from his vast customers' experience.

Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
What are you pushing now for BHP?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?