General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Duke Broadway
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastidiped my s-lites black.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke Broadway
Plastidiped my s-lites black.
Sweet, I did the same a little while ago they look pretty damn good

Old 07-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Duke Broadway
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Sweet, I did the same a little while ago they look pretty damn good
I really liked how they turned out. Has a few coatd of glossifier on it too. I had been eyeing craigslist for rims, but I like this enough rims are on the back burner. I too am a chilli red mini owner.

Last edited by Duke Broadway; 07-21-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:35 PM
no1jones
1st Gear
Opened up the Mistress's sinuses a little with some metal mesh instead of the normal scoop insert. Also painted behind it black instead of having the blue show thru. On to the next project...

Old 07-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Duke Broadway
1st Gear
I plastidipped the Cooper on the back hatch, and also redipped the door handles. This time I added some black electrical tape on the inside edge of the handle. The only chrome left to tackle is in the head and tail lights.

Also got one balled today, it is perfect for the type of sound I was hoping for.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
I survived a 105+ heat in Barnaby this weekend. The fan was constantly running but I finally got a true test to the cooling system that was repaired recently. SO far so good

Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM
donniedarko
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 10' clubman S 6 months ago. Finally updating
First was getting the engine in factory spec. Water pump, vacuum pump, Head gasket etc all needed to be fixed. Brake rotors are out of spec. Dont want or need big brake kit. First replacing to little upgrade and less dirty pads.
Engine dialed by MINI SouthBay. Took very good care of me, 4600$ of work, out of pocket 437$

Car is out of warranty except for emission so mods are happening.

Ive installed:
Delete tube from NM Eng.

AEM intake & heat tape

Craven dipstick for piece of mind, and clear read on oil levels

GFB DV+

Chrome grill and stuff deleted with black

Parts waiting to be installed
Stop Tech slotted rotors to replace the OE rotors

Ceramic HAWK pad

Stop Tech braided brake lines

Coming very soon:
Sprint Booster

NM Eng engine mount

NM rear sway

17 x 7.5 Motegi SP10

Borla S exhaust

Window tint

Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 PM
no1jones
1st Gear
Installed ALTA spring in BOV and sent the ECU to MarioKart for a Manic 2+ tune. Tomorrow new NGK plugs and waiting....till Wednesday to re-install computer and smile!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,861 Posts
"Was cleaning bugs from front end of the car and noticed someone recently bumped into me over the last week. "

That stinks , sorry to hear. :(

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM
MiniChick82
1st Gear
Tracked some packages and found that my all weather floor mats got delivered from the "local" mini dealership. So I'll finally be throwing away the stupid annoying paper floor mats from the dealership, sweeping out all the crap I've already gotten in there and putting in the new ones! Can't wait to get off work tonight.

I'll also be cleaning my glass and dressing my trim and tires tonight. Might wax my wheels if I have time and it's cool enough. Did a complete wash, clay, polish, wax on Monday so hopefully I can get her finished tonight.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniChick82
Tracked some packages and found that my all weather floor mats got delivered from the "local" mini dealership. So I'll finally be throwing away the stupid annoying paper floor mats from the dealership, sweeping out all the crap I've already gotten in there and putting in the new ones! Can't wait to get off work tonight.

I'll also be cleaning my glass and dressing my trim and tires tonight. Might wax my wheels if I have time and it's cool enough. Did a complete wash, clay, polish, wax on Monday so hopefully I can get her finished tonight.
Nice But it didn't happen unless we se pics !!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 AM
MiniChick82
1st Gear
Nice**But it didn't happen unless we se pics !!*
Hahaha, well I took pics after the major stuff the other day but I didn't take any pics of my floor mats yet. And it ended up being way too hot to do anything else yesterday.

But here she is after 4 hours of work a couple days ago:

Not too bad for doing it all by hand! Although I was sore for 2 days afterwards.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:54 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by no1jones
Opened up the Mistress's sinuses a little with some metal mesh instead of the normal scoop insert. Also painted behind it black instead of having the blue show thru. On to the next project...
Very nice. I like this.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Dropped him off for service. Driving my wife's car today. No, not the fun one.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:57 PM
no1jones
1st Gear
So this happened today! Manic Stage 2+ with switch from the one and only MarioKart! Butt dyno says the "Mistress" really likes her brain upgrade as do I. Running around in Map A for now. Once I figure out how to get video up without youtube (if possible) then I'll get some clips up.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_1023.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
--

Last edited by walk0080; 06-05-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What's going on, NAM? It's been quite some time since I've last been on there. Now, I wouldn't say this is what I've done to the Mini as of today, but rather what I've been doing for the past five weeks.

So I got a new job (well, job within the same company) that requires me to commute +2 hours to the job site, and stay in a hotel for the week, and use my own car to drive around in. I get per diem, and mileage paid for, so that's a definitely plus.

I put on over 500 miles a week, and the week prior, I surpassed 130k miles. Still on quite a few OEM parts such as suspension, clutch, fuel filter, supercharger, etc.

My only concern though is the longevity of the supercharger with all these highway miles I'm putting on it. So far, I have not really heard anything different, although I did happen to notice a particular rattling-like sound under load when I was getting onto an on-ramp with some temporary barriers on my right. Could it be the crank pulley finally going, or worse is the supercharger starting to show its age?

I also think I have an oil leak, which I'm certain is the front main seal (so good time to repalce that, and the crank pulley with the super damper from Way). The Mini also seems to go through about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. I do have a very small crack in the valve cover (where one of the bolts for the ignition coil is), but I did manage to secure a new valve cover, so that's all good. I hope to have that, and the crank pulley + front main seal replaced within the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind though, I see no oil on the ground when I'm parked, so it's more than likely the Mini is burning all the oil. But that still doesn't explain the dry oil I spot on the side of the engine where the crank pulley is...

I am also planning on getting some new rubber as the tread is at its end, but I'm having trouble deciding on what tires I should get. Because of the tire size, (205/50 R16 on Rota RBs) I've narrowed it down to either the Bridgestone Potenzas, or the Dunlop Direzzas. Anyone here have experience with either of those tires?

But anyway, Egan is still chugging along, and after over 9 years of ownership, I see no stopping my friendship with Egan. He's my buddy.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 PM
jr_R52
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I had planned on starting the mods this summer but with our loonie doing the swan dive i'm afraid it will be much slower going.

I did install a DDM CAI with a red silicone hose this week though. Pretty easy install and love the "whine". Did have a bear of a time to put the cover screws in. Way too tight for no good reason. Could only get 4 screws in. As soon as I can find a drill press I'll elongate the holes for an easier fit. Can't see myself fighting this every time I clean the filter.

Still planning a 17% pulley. Unfortunately we're still in the condo and nowhere to actually do work on the car other than bolt-on's.

So far the only mods are the CAI and Madness strut tower plates (did have slight mushrooming on the driver strut side).

Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniChick82
Hahaha, well I took pics after the major stuff the other day but I didn't take any pics of my floor mats yet. And it ended up being way too hot to do anything else yesterday.

But here she is after 4 hours of work a couple days ago:

Not too bad for doing it all by hand! Although I was sore for 2 days afterwards.
NICE that came out awesome I love that color too! Welcome

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 AM
JValenzSD
1st Gear
Did some testing with 3 gallons of E85, and the rest with 91 on Manic Stage 2+ Map B. Car is FBO on stock turbo. It pulls surprisingly stronger and smoother from the seat of the pants. Will test with Map C next.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
no1jones
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JValenzSD
Did some testing with 3 gallons of E85, and the rest with 91 on Manic Stage 2+ Map B. Car is FBO on stock turbo. It pulls surprisingly stronger and smoother from the seat of the pants. Will test with Map C next.
I planned to do the same at next fill up. Glad to hear it the butt dyno says something. Make sure to post how Map C eats up the mixture!'

Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 PM
JValenzSD
1st Gear
Ok, switched to Map C and good lord this thing pulls like a freight train. I need to find a way to log and see how my long term and short term trims are doing. But now the car just wants to pull and pull with no timing corrections.

Originally Posted by no1jones
I planned to do the same at next fill up. Glad to hear it the butt dyno says something. Make sure to post how Map C eats up the mixture!'

Old 07-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had an M7 Powertone exhaust installed. Just received my Madness Motorworks lower stress brace and Hotchkis H-Sport rear sway bar. They will be installed on Monday. I have a set of door handle covers with the black, gray and white Union Jack on them that I am trying to decide whether or not I should plastidip them black before I install them.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Not today, but recently...

Went to him and opened the back hatch and it came crashing down almost on my head. So ordered the OEM replacements and installed them. Not bad for 106k miles and nearly 11 years. Now the rear hatch flies up!

So I became suspicious of the bonnet struts... They were working until last weekend and then literally over night, boom! Popped the bonnet to check fluid levels and it came crashing down. Ordered OEM replacements and installed those... Just like when I bought him brand new, it is more challenging to close the bonnet now (resistance) and when you release the bonnet, it flies up! Very cool! But again, not bad for 107k miles and nearly 11 years.

Moral of the story, if you replace one end, just order and replace the other! They appear to have similar life cycles.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?