General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:01 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
The brake pad light came on. And this is why...

The weird thing - the car stopped just fine, no unusual noise, pedal was nice and firm too! :confused;

I replaced the rotors front and rear, as well as the pads. Ran out of time last night so I'll bleed/flush the brake fluid tonight after work.
Whoa! Be sure to keep an eye on your pad wear and rotors now that you have replaced them. It's always good to routinely inspect them when you do your routine oil changes.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
The brake pad light came on. And this is why...

The weird thing - the car stopped just fine, no unusual noise, pedal was nice and firm too!

I replaced the rotors front and rear, as well as the pads. Ran out of time last night so I'll bleed/flush the brake fluid tonight after work.
When is the last time you swapped out the rubber caliper guide bushings? My brake pad mileage in back went from 35-37k miles down to 12k miles. I swapped out the rubber bushings and I am back to getting more miles out of my pads.

I went to the metal bushings all around and the brake feel is far better. A little more maintenance involved (periodic re-greasing) but I am ok with that. I very much dislike the rubber guide bushings and the flex/breakdown they have when breaking. Consider it!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
When is the last time you swapped out the rubber caliper guide bushings? My brake pad mileage in back went from 35-37k miles down to 12k miles. I swapped out the rubber bushings and I am back to getting more miles out of my pads.

I went to the metal bushings all around and the brake feel is far better. A little more maintenance involved (periodic re-greasing) but I am ok with that. I very much dislike the rubber guide bushings and the flex/breakdown they have when breaking. Consider it!
This is the first brake job my MINI has had (65k miles). I was looking at those rubber bushings when I did the pads and considered replacing them with the metal bushings. My concern about the metal bushings - I live in a rather unforgiving environment between lots of rain/humidity, salt air, dirty/muddy roads, and generous use of road salt in the winter. How often would these bushings need to be greased to prevent them from seizing up? I love the idea of better brake feel and increased pad life, though.

As for brake inspections - yeah. Definitely need to monitor this a bit closer. I've just been one to put the car on ramps to do oil changes. I guess I'll have to make more time to pull wheels off for brake inspections during these oil changes. I am a bit surprised at how much corrosion was on the back of the OEM rotors, especially the rear ones.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:40 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
This is the first brake job my MINI has had (65k miles). I was looking at those rubber bushings when I did the pads and considered replacing them with the metal bushings. My concern about the metal bushings - I live in a rather unforgiving environment between lots of rain/humidity, salt air, dirty/muddy roads, and generous use of road salt in the winter. How often would these bushings need to be greased to prevent them from seizing up? I love the idea of better brake feel and increased pad life, though.

As for brake inspections - yeah. Definitely need to monitor this a bit closer. I've just been one to put the car on ramps to do oil changes. I guess I'll have to make more time to pull wheels off for brake inspections during these oil changes. I am a bit surprised at how much corrosion was on the back of the OEM rotors, especially the rear ones.
Understood. I used anti-seize on mine as I believe this to be the preferred item to use. I believe one of the companies here also sell caps to cover up the caliper guides from corrosion. Need to check that out to be sure.

Yeah, it never hurts IF you can. I inspect each of my three vehicles twice a year to look for anything that is out of the ordinary. This also allows me to inspect the brake pad depth so I know when a change is coming up. Probably a bit overkill for most but it works for me. Allows me to rotate the tires as well, check out the shocks, bushings, control arms etc. In the meantime, I get more acquainted with the vehicle and how its built.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
^ regular inspections are a good thing, I wish more people were so careful about the condition of their cars!

regarding what to use for lubricating the bushings, check the temperature rating on your anti-seize compound, I think brake grease which is specifically formulated for high temperatures might be a better choice.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:06 AM
r7denz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done installing my polyurethane control arm bushings.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r7denz
Done installing my polyurethane control arm bushings.
How does the ride feel?

Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
^ regular inspections are a good thing, I wish more people were so careful about the condition of their cars!

regarding what to use for lubricating the bushings, check the temperature rating on your anti-seize compound, I think brake grease which is specifically formulated for high temperatures might be a better choice.
I think you are right... brake grease appears to have a wider range and higher temp ceiling.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:19 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I think you are right... brake grease appears to have a wider range and higher temp ceiling.
I'll have to remember that when I get my metal brake bushings. Hopefully brake grease will be enough to keep the pins from corroding in the bushings.

Will be throwing in a different set of pads while I'm at it. I'm not terribly impressed with the Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic pads that I put in the car. They are quiet, but don't have quite the bite I want, even after bedding them in. I don't like how factory pads are kind of grabby on the first touch of the pedal (but are fine beyond that). Might just get a set of factory pads anyway. I can deal with the initial grabbiness, but not the increased (though linear) pedal effort of the Akebonos.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Ordered MORE stuff from ECS today to complete the cooling system job. Hopefully this will be the last order before the big suspension overhaul.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:48 PM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Finished blacking out chrome on boot today.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-image-2343470206.jpg  
Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Might just get a set of factory pads anyway.
I hope you like washing your wheels...

Old 10-14-2015, 04:33 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
I hope you like washing your wheels...
Yea, don't do that. Oem pads suck anyways, sure the initial bite is good but that's about it. Not worth the mess imo.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
Yea, don't do that. Oem pads suck anyways, sure the initial bite is good but that's about it. Not worth the mess imo.
DONT DO IT!!! Red stuff pads is the way to go

Old 10-14-2015, 07:48 PM
E-dot
2nd Gear
Just a sliiiight difference. This was definitely a ticking timebomb.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 03-02-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by E-dot
Crazy when you compare the two side by side, eh?

Good job. It is a really simple process and it beats the alternative.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Mrbrown
1st Gear
Fitted powerflex bushes to the control arms - bit of an **** of a job but hopefully wont ever need to replace them again.

Steering feels slightly firmer (a good thing) and more responsive (an even better thing).

My next thing on the to do list will be paint the calipers red and change the side and fog lights to leds and match the xenons.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
E-dot
2nd Gear
Crazy when you compare the two side by side, eh?

Good job. It is a really simple process and it beats the alternative.
Thanks. Agreed, really easy. I'd say the whole process took no more than 8mins.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mrbrown
Fitted powerflex bushes to the control arms - bit of an **** of a job but hopefully wont ever need to replace them again.

Steering feels slightly firmer (a good thing) and more responsive (an even better thing).

My next thing on the to do list will be paint the calipers red and change the side and fog lights to leds and match the xenons.
Mine are sitting in the closet this will be my next project! CAB, sway bushings, and ball joints all around. Then its onto the rear

Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 AM
tonmilv
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My two Minis.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-20150930_173358.jpg  
Old 10-15-2015, 10:28 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
DONT DO IT!!! Red stuff pads is the way to go
I absolutely hate the dust (and initial grabbiness) of the OEM pads, but I can't stand how much effort I've got to put in the pedal with the Akebonos just for routine stops. Sure, the new pads stop fine for panic stops and are quite nice to modulate under threshold braking...but I want something needing less pedal effort to bite. How are the red stuff pads for bite?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Whoa! The coolant bottle on my R53 is the same color as your old one, but not showing any signs of leaking. Were these bottles really that white when the cars were new, or was there a change in the bottle material over the years?

Originally Posted by E-dot

Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by KeziaPurrs
Finished blacking out chrome on boot today.
Looks very good, Lisa! Did you get the grille piece off to black it out yet?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:56 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Whoa! The coolant bottle on my R53 is the same color as your old one, but not showing any signs of leaking. Were these bottles really that white when the cars were new, or was there a change in the bottle material over the years?
That is a pretty white tank! HERE are what the Genuine and Behr tank colors look like, little brown in color. Maybe it's a different manufacture?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:10 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Here is mine before and after... If your tank is this color, I would swap it! I waited until I visually saw the tank leaking in front. When I removed the old unit, 75% of the leak was in back and unseen.

Name:  20150524_142201a_zpsy637awtv.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  55.3 KB

Leaking in back...
Name:  20150524_144926a_zpsblysp9oa.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  108.0 KB

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?