General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:48 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Replaced the timing chain cover gasket, front crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket. Cleaned the oil residue from the intercooler and throttle body. Put it all together. Started up first try, no strange noises or leaks from the supercharger, and no check engine light. Guess I haven't lost my touch (been over 10 years since I last worked as an auto tech for my main living).

I'm definitely going to get an oil catch can after doing the supercharger job. Couldn't believe how much engine oil got into the supercharger and intake system - and this is on a relatively low mile engine that doesn't seem to use any oil between changes.

Car runs great. Seems to have a slight bit more spunk than it did prior to the teardown. Glad to have it on the road again.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Replaced the timing chain cover gasket, front crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket...
While you had the timing cover off, did you also change out the upper and lower timing case oil inlet/outlet gaskets (#3, #4, on pic)?

I have the whole timing cover gasket/seal setup (referred to in pic below) ready to swap out along with my serpentine belt tensioner, idler pulley, crankshaft pulley and crankshaft seal with my next oil change. I've already done all the other oil-related gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, crankshaft sensor o-ring, camshaft sensor o-ring and timing chain tensioner) as part of a preventative maintenance service at my last oil change.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Replaced the timing chain cover gasket, front crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket. Cleaned the oil residue from the intercooler and throttle body. Put it all together. Started up first try, no strange noises or leaks from the supercharger, and no check engine light. Guess I haven't lost my touch (been over 10 years since I last worked as an auto tech for my main living).

I'm definitely going to get an oil catch can after doing the supercharger job. Couldn't believe how much engine oil got into the supercharger and intake system - and this is on a relatively low mile engine that doesn't seem to use any oil between changes.

Car runs great. Seems to have a slight bit more spunk than it did prior to the teardown. Glad to have it on the road again.
Oh good for you! You did end up replacing everything! Making me nervous about what I will find in the intercooler now! haha Good job, all is well as long as the Mini runs and no CELs.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ended up selling Barnaby Friday afternoon. Its been an awesome car, and this forum has really helped a lot with almost everything I needed help with. Thanks to all of you. Motor on!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Sorry to hear this, glad to have you on the forums. Good luck with the new car ventures.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-08-2016, 08:03 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Ended up selling Barnaby Friday afternoon. Its been an awesome car, and this forum has really helped a lot with almost everything I needed help with. Thanks to all of you. Motor on!
Oh no... Bummer... I was hoping that would not happen and that you would have a change of heart. But it is understandable with being in school.

Good luck to you in the future and motor on!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:59 AM
chipfiev
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Installed the DINANTronics Sport Tuner on my '15 MCS.
It's good.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:40 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Yup. Replaced the oil pump gaskets too. I didn't want to risk having an oil pressure problem.

The timing chain, guides, and tensioner are all in great shape. Likewise with the oil pickup screen. Wish I would have taken some pictures. This is the first engine I've gotten into in a while that did not have sludge, burnt oil residue, etc. When I wiped the oil off the internals, clean metal surfaces were all that were left. Guess those expensive european oils I've been using are doing a great job.

I have not changed out my camshaft sensor seal - it is not leaking at this time, nor is the valve cover gasket. These are easy enough to do in the future if they wind up leaking.

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
While you had the timing cover off, did you also change out the upper and lower timing case oil inlet/outlet gaskets (#3, #4, on pic)?

I have the whole timing cover gasket/seal setup (referred to in pic below) ready to swap out along with my serpentine belt tensioner, idler pulley, crankshaft pulley and crankshaft seal with my next oil change. I've already done all the other oil-related gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, crankshaft sensor o-ring, camshaft sensor o-ring and timing chain tensioner) as part of a preventative maintenance service at my last oil change.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Yep. I decided I didn't have the time (or desire) to be under my car again for oil leaks - at least in the near future. A few more days of down time wouldn't kill me. Fortunately the MINI isn't my only vehicle.

It took quite a while to get the intercooler clean. I backflushed it with acetone into a bucket. At one point, I capped off both ends and shook the acetone inside the intercooler. I repeated this process until clean acetone came out.

Now to do some research on oil catch cans. I want something that I can drain easily and also one that has some way of telling me how much oil is in it without having to disassemble it.

Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Oh good for you! You did end up replacing everything! Making me nervous about what I will find in the intercooler now! haha Good job, all is well as long as the Mini runs and no CELs.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:00 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Yep. I decided I didn't have the time (or desire) to be under my car again for oil leaks - at least in the near future. A few more days of down time wouldn't kill me. Fortunately the MINI isn't my only vehicle.

It took quite a while to get the intercooler clean. I backflushed it with acetone into a bucket. At one point, I capped off both ends and shook the acetone inside the intercooler. I repeated this process until clean acetone came out.

Now to do some research on oil catch cans. I want something that I can drain easily and also one that has some way of telling me how much oil is in it without having to disassemble it.
haha I can totally relate! Just wrapped up replacing my other axle and trans fluid swap. I do NOT want to go under there again! haha

I hear a lot about acetone being used on the intercoolers... Would brake cleaner be bad? Or is acetone just that much better at cleaning when being tossed around inside the intercooler?

Old 11-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Sorry to see you go, good luck!

Remember to . . .

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I don't see why brake cleaner or carb cleaner would be harmful. I would have used these if I didn't run out trying to clean the engine block, supercharger, water pump, oil pan, etc.

I had a bunch of acetone in my garage, so in my case it was just more convenient than having to run back to the store.

Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
haha I can totally relate! Just wrapped up replacing my other axle and trans fluid swap. I do NOT want to go under there again! haha

I hear a lot about acetone being used on the intercoolers... Would brake cleaner be bad? Or is acetone just that much better at cleaning when being tossed around inside the intercooler?

Old 11-09-2016, 12:07 PM
Gadgetrunt
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cleaned up the headlights today and cleaned out all of the junk from inside and got it ready for the weekend. Hope to do an oil change, and power steering hose swap this weekend and then vacuum and give her a bath. I got the oil change kit, some power steering hoses, interior LEDs, and a donut spare from Way Motor Works as well as a couple of new stickers. Gadget's got a real smirk now!

Old 11-09-2016, 02:47 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by TG.
Nothing too fancy... after 3 years of free service and 33,880 miles, I did its first oil change at home:
Congrats, first time doing it, its a little bit of a pain getting that expansion tank to hold in place while you undo the oil cap.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-09-2016, 02:47 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by chipfiev
Installed the DINANTronics Sport Tuner on my '15 MCS.
It's good.

Awesome, congrats

Old 11-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oil & filter change today at 174,225 miles.
Still running strong!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Boverphoto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New winter tires

New 215/45/17 Pirelli Sottozero 3's and 17" wheels. Ski season coming! We have 2 4WD SUVs but I'd rather drive the MINI any day! Looks funny with a cargo box though!

New clutch and LSD coming soon. Thinking JMTC Stage 2 and Wavetrac LSD. Comments?

I have a great set of 4 Dunlop SP Winter Sports 195/55/16 and 17.4 lb 16" S-Winder Light wheels for sale: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...16-wheels.html

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_4771.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_4774.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_4759.jpg  
Old 11-10-2016, 12:43 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice winter wheel set up. Pirelli has some awesome studded tires I run.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:56 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Definitely agree with the MINI being more desirable to drive than a 4x4 SUV. I prefer to drive my MINI over my 4x4 Ram 1500 pickup and 4x4 Ramcharger in the winter, except on very deep snow days.

Please let us know what you think about those tires. I'm coming up on due for new winter tires. So far I've had very good luck with my studded Pirelli Winter Carving tires, but haven't found another set of those in stock to replace them.

Originally Posted by Boverphoto
New 215/45/17 Pirelli Sottozero 3's and 17" wheels. Ski season coming! We have 2 4WD SUVs but I'd rather drive the MINI any day! Looks funny with a cargo box though!

New clutch and LSD coming soon. Thinking JMTC Stage 2 and Wavetrac LSD. Comments?

I have a great set of 4 Dunlop SP Winter Sports 195/55/16 and 17.4 lb 16" S-Winder Light wheels for sale: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...16-wheels.html

Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
I'm coming up on due for new winter tires. So far I've had very good luck with my studded Pirelli Winter Carving tires, but haven't found another set of those in stock to replace them.
If you haven't had occasion to try Nokian's winter tires, you should look into them. They're the best, hands down.

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa.../winter-tires/

Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Pirelli Winter Carving tires : some sizes went out of stock so you have to plus size to find more options. That's what I did.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM
b6cool
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So i bought a set of audi TT Mk1 front real leather seats for $100 on craigslist. finally after some fitting i was able to do this...
Name:  image_zpspu3ah2pv.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  200.2 KB
Name:  image_zpsslwhshnz.jpeg
Views: 140
Size:  205.8 KB
Name:  image_zpserygm7mt.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  214.4 KB
Name:  image_zpsuavpatqg.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  203.2 KB
Name:  image_zpserygm7mt.jpeg
Views: 158
Size:  214.4 KB
Name:  image_zpsstailifs.jpeg
Views: 102
Size:  156.4 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image_zpserygm7mt.jpeg (214.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by b6cool; 11-10-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:47 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I've run Nokians in the past and I definitely agree - they are the best I've ever run. Last set I had were on a RWD Volvo 740 Turbo. It was amazing how those tires transformed that car into a capable winter vehicle. Unfortunately, none of the tire shops in my area sell them and I can't seem to find vendors online that would ship them to me. That's the main reason why I went w/ the Pirellis when I bought my MINI. They're kind of a wanna-be Hakkapeliitta.

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
If you haven't had occasion to try Nokian's winter tires, you should look into them. They're the best, hands down.

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa.../winter-tires/

Old 11-10-2016, 02:49 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Pirelli Winter Carving tires : some sizes went out of stock so you have to plus size to find more options. That's what I did.
What size did you go with? My current set are 185/65R15.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:52 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Unfortunately, none of the tire shops in my area sell them and I can't seem to find vendors online that would ship them to me.
If you go to Nokian's page and search dealers near you, there are quite a few dealers listed in Alaska,
including one in Anchorage -- Anchorage Tire Factory... (https://goo.gl/gCehSW).

They won't send them to you?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?