General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
What size did you go with? My current set are 185/65R15.
I have the Hakkapeliitta R2 -- 195/55/R16

Old 11-10-2016, 03:56 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
If you go to Nokian's page and search dealers near you, there are quite a few dealers listed in Alaska,
including one in Anchorage -- Anchorage Tire Factory... (https://goo.gl/gCehSW).

They won't send them to you?
That's where I got them for my Volvo. At the time, I happened to be on the mainland and had the tire shop put the tires on the car. Easy peasy.

Last time I shopped for Nokians, I was not happy with the pricing to have them shipped to my location. I ordered the Pirellis online and ended up saving a considerable amount of money, despite still paying for shipping.

I'm happy enough with the Pirellis that I have no problems ordering another set. If I find myself back on the mainland with my car, yes...I'll definitely get another set of Nokians.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Congrats, first time doing it, its a little bit of a pain getting that expansion tank to hold in place while you undo the oil cap.
thx,

Yes, not the best design around that's for sure... They could have at a minimum provide a littler extra hose. For something done this frequently I can't imagine it would have been a waste of money. I wonder how the mini shop does it?

That all said, putting the car on stilts took more time than dealing with the expansion take so it's not what I would say a huge problem.
It mostly makes we nervous to break the molded in hose fitting on the tank...

ps: thanks for carrying those OEM filter kits

Old 11-10-2016, 11:14 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran those Pirelli Winter Carving snow tires on my old Winter war wagon and found them to be great in snow. I had to rotate shifts every week at work. One Saturday night, the state was shut down in advance of a significant snow storm. I got off work at midnight and by then we had 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground and no wind, so the snow was very even and the temperature was 17 degrees. No plows were out on my entire 14 mile route home of nothing but rural roads, with not one car track on any of them. Visibility was over a mile most of the way, and I ended up making the best time ever going home. Never saw another car on the road. The Winter Carving snow tires made the trip one of the more fun rides... plus it was very quiet.

We ended up with a big 27 to 35 inches of snow from that storm in our area. I measured an average of 33 inches around our yard once the storm had ended, mid morning on Monday. Won't soon forget that event. Winter Carving snow tires are quite a bit tougher to find these days. The General Altimax Arctic snow tires are also really great performers on snow and in the wet and are quieter than the Pirellis on dry pavement.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:20 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your experience with the Pirellis is very similar to my experience with the tires on my MINI.

I had studs put on my Winter Carvings to help with the icy conditions that are all too common on the roads around here in the winter. I was surprised with how well the MINI handled on icy roads with these tires that I basically quit daily driving my 4x4s in the winter. The MINI is simply more fun to drive, even on winter roads.

Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
I ran those Pirelli Winter Carving snow tires on my old Winter war wagon and found them to be great in snow. I had to rotate shifts every week at work. One Saturday night, the state was shut down in advance of a significant snow storm. I got off work at midnight and by then we had 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground and no wind, so the snow was very even and the temperature was 17 degrees. No plows were out on my entire 14 mile route home of nothing but rural roads, with not one car track on any of them. Visibility was over a mile most of the way, and I ended up making the best time ever going home. Never saw another car on the road. The Winter Carving snow tires made the trip one of the more fun rides... plus it was very quiet.

We ended up with a big 27 to 35 inches of snow from that storm in our area. I measured an average of 33 inches around our yard once the storm had ended, mid morning on Monday. Won't soon forget that event. Winter Carving snow tires are quite a bit tougher to find these days. The General Altimax Arctic snow tires are also really great performers on snow and in the wet and are quieter than the Pirellis on dry pavement.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-pict4562.jpg  

Last edited by AKIndiMini; 11-12-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:27 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 204 Likes on 168 Posts
Air filter, cabin filter, oil and filter change, transmission fluid change.
Winter tires swap coming up in 1 or 2 weeks.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I tip my hat to you snow boys!

I cannot imagine.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
I tip my hat to you snow boys!

I cannot imagine.
On a quiet road, with good snow cover... a lot of fun to drive, as long as proper snow tires are installed. Have always loved driving on snow... as long as there's no traffic.

I started learning to drive on a frozen lake when I was 12 or 13. You learn a lot about vehicle dynamics on smooth ice, and in a hurry.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:24 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear

Your experience with the Pirellis is very similar to my experience with the tires on my MINI.

I had studs put on my Winter Carvings to help with the icy conditions that are all too common on the roads around here in the winter. I was surprised with how well the MINI handled on icy roads with these tires that I basically quit daily driving my 4x4s in the winter. The MINI is simply more fun to drive, even on winter roads.
Nice video! Fun stuff!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got into a minor accident back in August. I hit a delivery van at less than 5 MPH and it really did a number on my front end since it was above my bumper.

I finally got the front end repaired and upgraded. As well as some much needed TLC...

- Replacement Spyder headlights
- Black headlight trim
- Black grill trim
- JCW upper grill
- VIS Racing Carbon Fiber hood w/ scoop
- Replaced bumper assembly (no license plate holes!)
- Kensun HID kit for headlights and fog lights
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- AC flush
- Exterior detail
- Interior detail

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-img_1142.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_1147.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_1405.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-img_1386.jpg  
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Centium
Got into a minor accident back in August. I hit a delivery van at less than 5 MPH and it really did a number on my front end since it was above my bumper.

I finally got the front end repaired and upgraded. As well as some much needed TLC...

- Black headlight trim
- Black grill trim
- JCW upper grill
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- AC flush
- Exterior detail
- Interior detail
Wow, looks great!!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
What size did you go with? My current set are 185/65R15.
195/55/15 ,they were on sale.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Carbon Fiber Hood

Originally Posted by Centium

- Black headlight trim
- Black grill trim
- JCW upper grill
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- AC flush
- Exterior detail
- Interior detail
The new hood looks great. Very nice job.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:46 PM
TocoWW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my MINI tinted today, 20% on all sides.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:54 PM
eschantra
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Having grown up in New England, I really feel for you snowed in guys. Granted, it's one of the reasons I moved

Originally Posted by TocoWW
I got my MINI tinted today, 20% on all sides.
Looks good, gotta get mine done someday. Especially down here in Texas.

After having the oil leaks repaired at a local indie due to my lack of time and appropriate skills, my Mini got some new brakes. EBC Yellows, new rotors and Motul RBF600 in preparation for his first ever autocross this weekend. FWIW the calipers were ghetto painted with Dupli-Color, and it seems to be holding up great so far.

Obligatory pics of the results:

Old 11-16-2016, 07:32 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Brakes, wheels and Mini looking good. Red brakes look way better than dull dirty use to be silvery/grey that are now a kind of bronze stained calipers. You did really good.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:04 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Changed out my rubber intake boot which had developed a split up top.

'Twas a 'pain in the ****' kind of job (for such a simple task), as the entire air-box assembly and ECU needed to be removed in order to get to the side-pipe clamps and the lower boot clamp, which were oriented in such a way that I couldn't have gotten to them otherwise.

The positives were that I was able to 'clean house' and get all dirt and pieces of leaves out of the crevices of the air-box, ECU chamber and underneath.

A duh... 'MINI heart attack' moment occurred when after buttoning everything up, I had overlooked re-connecting the electrical connector to the throttle body, then unwittingly started the car - thinking that I was done... After a moment or two of the car coughing and swearing at me, and a CEL staring me in the face, I realized my error, fished my fingers between to grab the loose connector and plugged it in...

As with the conclusion of all my DIYs, I couldn't help but to think about what this "simple task" would've costed me had I brought the car to the service dept. of a MINI dealership...

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 11-17-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:57 AM
3rdcoastmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eschantra
FWIW the calipers were ghetto painted with Dupli-Color, and it seems to be holding up great so far.

Ob
Then call me Ghetto as I use it on all my cars and never had it come off and I live in winter salt capital of world. Including a Corvette that saw a lot of HPDE events. I actually don think guys prep right that have it come off as I've used generic old high heat spray paint too with similar results on my last BMW.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:22 PM
eschantra
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdcoastmini
Then call me Ghetto as I use it on all my cars and never had it come off and I live in winter salt capital of world. Including a Corvette that saw a lot of HPDE events. I actually don think guys prep right that have it come off as I've used generic old high heat spray paint too with similar results on my last BMW.
The paint itself wasn't ghetto, it was the quick, slipshod manner that I threw it only on the visible caliper surfaces that was ghetto

Regardless, I've read some of the reviews on Amazon and I agree, most of the people that have had issues with it didn't apply it properly. Even on the can, it says to let the paint dry overnight before driving the car, and one reviewer decided to bed in his brakes right after application and wondered why the coating didn't last......

Old 11-19-2016, 09:22 AM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Installed a ScanGauge II on a Cravenspeed mount.

Tried to do the rear wiper delete with the Cravenspeed kit but I can't get the darn wiper arm off. Used WD-40 and let it soak for a day but it's still not coming off. I ordered this battery terminal puller from Amazon. It's supposed to arrived today so I'll give it another shot then.

Name:  IMG_20161119_115641_zpstdrm39tr.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  246.6 KB Name:  IMG_20161119_115450_zpswkhhhsne.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  302.8 KB

Old 11-19-2016, 09:35 AM
whitty
Neutral

Only thing I did with to do with mini's today

Old 11-19-2016, 12:27 PM
brawsie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by b6cool
So i bought a set of audi TT Mk1 front real leather seats for $100 on craigslist. finally after some fitting i was able to do this...
Nice job on those brackets, those seats look nice too.

I kept it simple. Swapped out the summer rubber for the all seasons.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:55 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
I have not done much of anything to my MINI in the past year or so. As of Monday, I have put it up for sale. As of today, it is posted in the Marketplace.

Name:  MINI14_zpsqlld3fsd.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  123.6 KB

Old 11-19-2016, 06:03 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 204 Likes on 168 Posts
Seasonal tire swap on both cars and cleaned and lubed the TyrolSport caliper bushings/pins.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Squirrel724
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swapped over to snow tires for the winter. Off with the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2s on X-lites and on with the Bridgestone Blizzaks on Silverstones. Handling's all squishy now. Oh well, only a few months until I can get back onto the summers.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?