General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,471 Posts
Originally Posted by kkcshipp
Is that your Mini in the video? My tips are rubbing on the rear cover; any "tips" on fixing this?
Who? Which video?

Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Who? Which video?
Pretty sure he's talking about this video:

Old 11-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Scypio
4th Gear
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
I plasti-dipped my fake air scoop. I wanted it to match my blue stripe but it's a bit dark (black and blue). I'm considering if I want to redo it in a lighter blue (flex blue) but I'm afraid that I'm going to eventually break those plastic clips.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:40 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
JCW Brake kit installed today. More stopping Powah! Now...when's that next track day?

The following users liked this post:
bratling (11-14-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:06 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts
Replaced my front inner an outer tie rod ends.
Had a front end alignment done. So much better🥰.
Replacing front tires tomorrow. 🤨

Old 11-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Gearscout
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed Alpine Radio with Blue Tooth...

It was a rather long procedure!

I bought an Alpine UTE-73BT https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE...-UTE-73BT.html replacement radio for the stock Mini head unit along with the harness and Crux SWRBM57K box that allegedly allows you to continue to use steering wheel controls for Volume +/- and tuning radio stations +/-.

It was a pain, but you already know what replacing the radio is probably like.

I did a "smoke test" before reassembling everything and was absolutely delighted that the Crux unit actually allowed me to use the steering wheel controls.

So I reassembled everything, doing a lot of detailed cleaning in the process and adding a new cigarette lighter (the old one was pulling out of the orange housing when unplugging a phone charger etc.) I also added a hard-wired 12v outlet beneath the center console/gearshift area that will allow me to run both a phone charger up to my Craven Speed phone holder and a power line for my Dash Cam routed under the dash, behind the A Pillar and under the headliner.

Of course, I similarly ran the line for a microphone around that A Pillar and under the headliner.

(I tested that in a phone call to make sure it was working) One of the primary reasons for getting a new Radio Head unit was to have Bluetooth connectivity with my phone in the car. I've got a blown Woofer on the passenger side, but I'll get to that later (tomorrow.)

Sadly, after all was sparkling clean and reassembled, the steering wheel controls reveal that they are INTERMITTENT. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.

I'm convinced it is NOT the wiring connections. It's the Crux SWRBM-57K Wiring Interface...specifically, the little box with the dip switches. It's crap. Other R53 owners report the same problem.

Not the end of the world. Hey, it works sometimes without fail, others when you press the buttons a dozen times...but sometimes not at all.

The good news is that the radio sounds great and has some outstanding features, like being able to match the color of the Mini's original bright orange display. This is my "retirement car" and, at 70, I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff. I suppose Crutchfield would give me a refund if I sent back the intermittent box that cost me about $50...but you know what? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall the radio! ;-)

EDIT: Crutchfield is sending me a different type of steering wheel interface that isn't entirely plug and play, but it's designed to work. I'll wait for that, re-install and report back.

Meantime, the significant upgrade to my R53 came at the end of last week...Way Motor Works down here in Atlanta replaced my Struts with a nice set of Koni FSD shocks https://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fsd-shocks.html and a rear sway bar (no add'l labor when you're doing the struts, anyway) https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-rear-sway-bar.html

Replacing the broken cigarette lighter was one of the more challenging feats of the day.

I hope your day went well, too!

Cheers...

Last edited by Gearscout; 11-07-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Andy_S (11-07-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 03:49 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
New tires all around. No more run flats. The ride is so much nicer. Going to mini of Pensacola next week for alignment.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I finally got around to installing LED's in the map lights on my R53. Much better !

Next is the vanity mirror bulbs; anyone know what bulb size are in those ??

Old 11-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
New hood scoop from leap. Rear diffusers and roof rack

The following 2 users liked this post by Serafin:
Andy_S (11-10-2019), Brainygadgetgirl (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 AM
margiemollymjo
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok ok ok, it was last weekend but...

Walnut blasted! Spent ~$200 to get the nozzle that for the intake, the little directional tube to fit inside it, 25# of fine walnut shells, a cheap media blaster thingy, and new spark plugs (just in case). Spent longer doing the job than was necessary because if never done it before and kept stopping to look at the progress - total time probably about 4 hours but probably really only needed an hour.

Anyway SOOOO much better!

Ooh, pretty!

I was hoping to delay having to replace valve seals but I'm not sure that's gonna be avoidable.

Installed an oil catch can too!

Ewww, gross. All chunked up!

Last edited by margiemollymjo; 11-24-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Oops, forgot to attach a photo!
Old 11-25-2019, 02:06 PM
rebonz
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AWE air intake

Stopped by AWE today and decided to purchase one of their carbon air intakes. Just finished up the installation. Sound and response have definitely improved. A big shout out to Dan Gail at AWE for his help today.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Azwildcat68
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4 week project

In the last 4 weeks or so I've installed an Arma carbon fiber cold air intake and a carbon fiber engine cover, new stripes, new black grill frame and black frames for headlights and tail lights, removed red mirror covers and rear hatch handle and replaced with black, and installed a carbon fiber fuel door. It's a 2017 f57 S with JCW tuning kit and Dinan Elite ecu and it's called the Evil Mini.
i have had no problems with the car and we're approaching it's 3rd birthday snd 25 k miles. Next, and maybe last, will be a shock tower brace. I love the car and keep looking for things to improve it.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:50 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,202 Likes on 936 Posts
Where in the world is Blue?

I will attempt to find our MINI...

Blue is under there...

This is what I woke to this morning. If you look closely, you can see the end of the antenna sticking out of the snow. No, it is not a shorty antenna... And, yes, that is a Wrangler half buried next to it...

More snow is predicted for today and into tonight. So I may be look for a “lost car” more than once through all of this...

Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Blue is under there...

This is what I woke to this morning. If you look closely, you can see the end of the antenna sticking out of the snow. No, it is not a shorty antenna... And, yes, that is a Wrangler half buried next to it...

More snow is predicted for today and into tonight. So I may be look for a “lost car” more than once through all of this...
Wow - my parents got quite a bit too - they're in W MA. Got some relatives in the Gouverneur area that probably got a bit of snow too! How much more are you predicted to get?

Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Blue is under there...

I see a mirror, too! Lol!

Old 12-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Found our MINI...

Yes, there is a mirror showing...

We were lucky that there was no wind. That would have been really messy. As it is, it made for some wonderful pictures.

I’m in the Albany area. That was 16” on the ground. I have an old Arians snowblower (circa 1976) that I use and it was to the top of that. They say another 8”, but I don’t see that happening unless there is a big backlash effect over night. Although, it has started snowing again as I type, so maybe a few inches more. I think this storm went south of Gouverneur area, as well as the Adirondacks, and they are to get only a few inches. Hunter Mtn ski area in the Catskills should hit the jackpot; maybe 30” there.

High top MINI, for those of us needing extra head room...

SunBird (12-12-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Not today, but over the weekend. Went to 2 track days at Bondurant in AZ. I can still shave probably 15s or so off my best time from Saturday, but not bad for only my 4th track day ever.

Last edited by DavidPinAZ; 12-02-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: YouTube embed
Old 12-02-2019, 12:46 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes, I have the GP for sale, but I can't keep myself from making it better. Deep down I am hoping my savings gets built back up before the car sells

This is my mini project. The Chili Red mirrors looked terrible. The clear coat was peeling and the red was fading. The body shop quoted me nearly $300 to paint the covers and couldn't guarantee they wouldn't break the clips removing the caps. I had a Chili Red Mini and the entire car looked like this - wonder if it is something with that particular color?

Anyway, I couldn't stand it, so I removed the covers and refinished them. I used Ford Cardinal Red - it is an almost perfect match (the Chili Red on the inside of the mirror caps is indistinguishable from the new paint) and I didn't feel it was worth the time, effort and expense of sourcing a spray can of original Mini color.

I used 800 and 2000 grit sandpaper. And lots and lots of elbow grease and McGuire's rubbing compound.

First step is to remove the imperfections. I've done this before and don't strip to the bare plastic.

Next was to begin applying very thin coats of red paint. And I do mean thin. The first few don't even cover fully. If you are like me and like to annoy the wife, you can cure the paint in the oven set to its lowest setting. It makes the house smell delightful and assures you have the house to yourself for several hours.

After each coat I wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper. It removes imperfections and give the next coat something to adhere to. After a number of coats (I think I did 8 before I was satisfied with the coverage) I wet sanded the last coat with 2000 grit.

Wait overnight after the last color coat. Next day I applied a number of coats of clear - unlike the color coat you need to assure reasonable coverage, but not thick and dripping unless you really like sanding. If you get this right, you only need to wet sand using 2000 grit between each coat. I used 4 coats of clear. Because of the sanding I use more coats than are strictly necessary.

Finally, a lot of hand polishing with rubbing compound. Once it gets glossy I reinstall and then use a DA with a light cut pad and polish to get a high shine.

I didn't realize how faded the covers were; they really pop now.

The following 4 users liked this post by scubus:
Brainygadgetgirl (12-02-2019), dmath (12-02-2019), ECSTuning (12-10-2019), SunBird (12-12-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Yes, there is a mirror showing...

We were lucky that there was no wind. That would have been really messy. As it is, it made for some wonderful pictures.

I’m in the Albany area. That was 16” on the ground. I have an old Arians snowblower (circa 1976) that I use and it was to the top of that. They say another 8”, but I don’t see that happening unless there is a big backlash effect over night. Although, it has started snowing again as I type, so maybe a few inches more. I think this storm went south of Gouverneur area, as well as the Adirondacks, and they are to get only a few inches. Hunter Mtn ski area in the Catskills should hit the jackpot; maybe 30” there.

High top MINI, for those of us needing extra head room...
I do miss the Catskills - lots of good rocks there for a paleontologist.

Anyhow - new BPV thanks to my mishap drilling out the set screw in my old one. New wheel liner screw clips to replace a few broken ones also.

EWP115 and the rest of the parts to get the electric water pump install started at least should be here by week's end also!

Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Picked up the reworked lock flange with a hose end welded on from my machinist yesterday and put that on in advance of getting the electric water pump later this week. If any of my fellow R53 owners decide to go this route, make sure you take the flange to someone with experience welding aluminum - whatever the alloy that was used in the block flange is, there is significant other metal in there that comes out when welding and rises to the top of the work - doesn't make welding on this piece very easy. The hose end extension piece I used acceptes 1.5" hose, just like the output end of the Davies Craig EWP.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:37 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Replaced my:
Alternator
Water pump
Thermostat
All coolant hoses
Resevoir tank
Fan resistor
Tensioner
Belt
Crank sensor seal
Manual transmission fluid
My *** is worn out.

scotty_r56s (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by shrevemini
Replaced my:
Alternator
Water pump
Thermostat
All coolant hoses
Resevoir tank
Fan resistor
Tensioner
Belt
Crank sensor seal
Manual transmission fluid
My *** is worn out.
All done in a parking lot????

Go You!!!

Old 12-08-2019, 05:45 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
I am in a apartment. God I miss my garage. Walking up to the 3rd floor everytime I need something. Really sucks.

Warren2185 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Many years ago I replaced a cracked piston in my MGA in my college dorm parking lot in November in the northern part of NY. I feel your pain. Hang in there and you will be back driving the most fun car made. As a bonus you will have a great story to tell later in life.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts
Many years ago I replaced a cracked piston in my MGA in my college dorm parking lot in November in the northern part of NY. I feel your pain. Hang in there and you will be back driving the most fun car made. As a bonus you will have a great story to tell later in life.
I'm there with you! Did a transmission in my Jeep on a rainy weekend outside my apartment in October in NEPA. Yuck!

The determination and perseverance shown above is what makes this community so great!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?