General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:15 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 327 Likes on 227 Posts
Hopefully my last mod on my little money pit.
Added new rally lights led with Halos.

The following users liked this post:
Eurothrasher (03-08-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by troyegly
Sweeeet plate! I like the Rally lights also, what are they?
they are these ones.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N0VH1...ing=UTF8&psc=1

install was a piece of cake, ALMOST. All the hardware seems to be mini factory. But the piggyback is through the driving lights. Mine took over the driving light connector no problem but I couldn’t for the life of me get the driving light bulb back in. No clue (would love anyone’s take) so without that it doesn’t automatically turn on and off. But I have a few other aux lights (including the f56 style drls) attached to a switch so I tapped the red power to that line and just instinctively switch it on when I switch on the car.

works really well, when the headlights are off the lights have an led drl ring and when the lights are on they turn to spot (no need for high beam) and and have very good coverage without blinding anyone. Driving at night is spectacular it’s like having the sun on your hood.

Eurothrasher (03-08-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
To add to that, really interested in seeing if anyone had luck with getting the parking light adapter to refit the parking bulb because then my little homemade acc tap will have shut off with ignition and then the driving lights and the DRLs on the spyder headlights would also turn on and off with the car and not a switch.

I ended up just unplugging the other driving bulb too as I hated having one in and one out

Old 03-02-2021, 10:32 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
I just cut the plug adapter off. Ran the blue an green wire to a relay. This is hooked up to a push switch on my dash. The halo is hooked up to 12v acc. An of course black is ground.
So when I start my car. All my halos come on. Then all I do is push my switch on the dash. The halo on the rally light kick off an the leds come on..

Old 03-02-2021, 12:08 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts
LOVE the wood dash. It reminds me of a rolls royce and the matching steering wheel is just so slick looking....you had a talented woodworker to make that look as if it came as the highest price option.

Old 03-02-2021, 12:12 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts
A new thread on personalized plate

Love the license plate that reads "WOWSER" below. I think everyone who has a Mini should get one (I have one ordered from the Library Association, shows and open book with the pages being shuffled, with "read" underneath... plate will be oft10.....get if oft 10 often?) Not as good as Wowsers but everytime I thought of something clever someone else had already claimed it. We are spoiled for choice where I live, there are about 50 different plates to choose from.
Would love to have a posting just on folks personalized plates, as if it is used in your state it might not be in the next state. I absolutely love the clever things folks come up with.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:31 PM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
I just cut the plug adapter off. Ran the blue an green wire to a relay. This is hooked up to a push switch on my dash. The halo is hooked up to 12v acc. An of course black is ground.
So when I start my car. All my halos come on. Then all I do is push my switch on the dash. The halo on the rally light kick off an the leds come on..
p

so if I have your chain correct, you cut the plug off the parking light adapter, the blue and green go to the dash with a push switch and the red power is run to the passenger side fuse?

Old 03-02-2021, 02:43 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Yeah. The grean an blue is going to a relay. I have a push switch mounted on my dash. Ran wire from switch to relay. The red wire is going to 12Acc or some call it ignition source. So when my car starts, the halo are on. When I push my switch. The center led light pop on an the halos shut off.
The pain in the a@# part was getting the plugs thru the grill. On either side of the plugs from the light have 2 thin plastic raised edges. I removed these. With a little pushing an a little prying I got them to push thru.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Hopefully my last mod on my little money pit.
Added new rally lights led with Halos.

Those rally light look good man.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Thanks 😊

Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Esctuning has them on sale. An the shipping was super fast.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:20 PM
GuardianDesigns
Former Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Congratulations, looks great! The Southwestern Ontario area code / Kitchener definitely caught my notice! Always great to see fellow Canucks on here. Love that you are immediately modding it to OEM+

Originally Posted by Little Grey
I bought my Cooper S 5 door today.
Its not even in my driveway and I’ve already ordered a Magnaflow catback to go with a Eurotuned ECU as soon as possible.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Esctuning has them on sale. An the shipping was super fast.
Lol I already have so many things here waiting on me to get to on my R56. As a preventative I'm replacing my thermostat housing, water pump, hoses, and doing a complete cooling system flush. Also going to flush the brake fluid and install braided brake lines. I also have a Snow Performance Stage 2.5 water/ Meth injection system. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I just installed a urethane lower motor mount this past weekend and replaced my PCV valve today. The pcv valve diagram was torn.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 570 Likes on 430 Posts
Over the last 2 days I’ve washed, quick wax, dressed all black trim, vacuumed, topped off all fluids, checked torque on brakes, wheels, lower engine mount, and plugs. All set for her first dragon weekend, leaving on Friday, no wife, no kid, no dog, just me and the mini.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jason Cornelius:
Minifenrir (03-04-2021), Speedy-218 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 04:31 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Yeah. The grean an blue is going to a relay. I have a push switch mounted on my dash. Ran wire from switch to relay. The red wire is going to 12Acc or some call it ignition source. So when my car starts, the halo are on. When I push my switch. The center led light pop on an the halos shut off.
The pain in the a@# part was getting the plugs thru the grill. On either side of the plugs from the light have 2 thin plastic raised edges. I removed these. With a little pushing an a little prying I got them to push thru.
Nice!

What grommet did you use to get through the firewall? I bodged it through the door lol

Old 03-04-2021, 04:34 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minifenrir
Lol I already have so many things here waiting on me to get to on my R56. As a preventative I'm replacing my thermostat housing, water pump, hoses, and doing a complete cooling system flush. Also going to flush the brake fluid and install braided brake lines. I also have a Snow Performance Stage 2.5 water/ Meth injection system. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I just installed a urethane lower motor mount this past weekend and replaced my PCV valve today. The pcv valve diagram was torn.
I have an aquamist sitting in my apt as well but I really hate the idea of soldering directly to the ECU cabling.

But makes no sense imo to go through all these mods and not water meth

Minifenrir (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 04:36 AM
shrevemini
6th Gear
I used the grommet that is under an near the brake power brake booster.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:56 AM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by veelangs
I have an aquamist sitting in my apt as well but I really hate the idea of soldering directly to the ECU cabling.

But makes no sense imo to go through all these mods and not water meth
Water injection was a vital key component of my Dodge Neon SRT-4 build. Without it I never would have been able to achieve 530 fwhp. Also now with the Mini being a direct injection motor the injection system is even more important and will help keep down carbon buildup.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:07 AM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Minifenrir
Water injection was a vital key component of my Dodge Neon SRT-4 build. Without it I never would have been able to achieve 530 fwhp. Also now with the Mini being a direct injection motor the injection system is even more important and will help keep down carbon buildup.
about to instal meth kit snow 2.5 on my r53 too.. going the direct port route through the plenum to the runners.. is this overkill ?
instead of post intercooler?

Old 03-04-2021, 05:46 AM
GuardianDesigns
Former Vendor
Not today but few days ago... amazing mild weather between snowfalls so drove Poppy the R55 out for some local "spring" cross-country skiing! Yes, skis fit inside!

Old 03-04-2021, 05:47 AM
Minifenrir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Serafin
about to instal meth kit snow 2.5 on my r53 too.. going the direct port route through the plenum to the runners.. is this overkill ?
instead of post intercooler?
Really depends on your plans for the build. If staying around 250-300 hp range it probably is a bit of overkill. But the kit you are using has the ability to control 2 separate injectors independently of each other.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:06 AM
GuardianDesigns
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
Over the last 2 days I’ve washed, quick wax, dressed all black trim, vacuumed, topped off all fluids, checked torque on brakes, wheels, lower engine mount, and plugs. All set for her first dragon weekend, leaving on Friday, no wife, no kid, no dog, just me and the mini.
Nice! Dragon should be fantastic and quiet this time of year. And always nice to spend time doing cleaning/detailing and preventive maintenance on the MINI. It's zen time...

Old 03-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 570 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by GuardianDesigns
Nice! Dragon should be fantastic and quiet this time of year. And always nice to spend time doing cleaning/detailing and preventive maintenance on the MINI. It's zen time...
There might be a 2nd Mini, from Cleveland, that might just so happen to be down there this weekend as well. I haven’t been down since 12/23/20 and besides a trip up to Cleveland to swap out sway bars, I haven’t left this house. Need to spread the wings and fly. Will be on the Dragon all day Saturday, sunrise to sunset.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:32 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Found my power steering cooling fan DOA. Order a new one today.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:12 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Found my power steering cooling fan DOA. Order a new one today.
Oi vey...

At least the good part is... you have replaced almost everything, right? hehe

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?