General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 12:05 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
@ Loyal242, have you noticed any increased harshness in the ride since replacing those bushings with the Powerflex ones?

Old 05-11-2021, 07:09 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Loyal242 - what torque did you use on the top nut on the shock assembly with the Powerflex bushings?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:59 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inspected my cooling system and decided it's time for a new radiator - any suggestions? OEM, CSF, Mishimoto, other?

Old 05-12-2021, 07:06 AM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dmath
Loyal242 - what torque did you use on the top nut on the shock assembly with the Powerflex bushings?
I didn't use my torque wrench, but I can tell you what the manual says if you'd like. I just snugged it up.

Originally Posted by veggivet
@ Loyal242, have you noticed any increased harshness in the ride since replacing those bushings with the Powerflex ones?
No increased harshness. It feels pretty normal.

The following users liked this post:
madcanvis (05-19-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 05:54 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Loyal42 - thanks but I have the manual. Was wondering if you might have used a different value for the poly bushings.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:10 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts
Ordered a windscreen etched with Scout's (my dog) face

Wanted to get a wind deflector across the neck area for the 2015 Roadster. Found these neat company that can do a custom graphic on one AND can light it up if wanted! I just sent the graphic artist a bunch of photos of my Scout, a rescue who passed away after being my best friend for 19 years. He loved nothing more than riding in a convertible so it seems appropriate

My Scout a rescue who for 19 years was the best friend a person could have. Soon to be a permanent part of my MINI Roadster.
to have him looking over my shoulder. I mean I have always thought he was an angel that I was just loaned because lets face it, he rescued me. I will post a photo once it is installed on the car but until then am adding a photo of the inspiration!

Mini-Titan (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 04:02 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,198 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by KCinLex
Wanted to get a wind deflector across the neck area for the 2015 Roadster. Found these neat company that can do a custom graphic on one AND can light it up if wanted! I just sent the graphic artist a bunch of photos of my Scout, a rescue who passed away after being my best friend for 19 years. He loved nothing more than riding in a convertible so it seems appropriate

My Scout a rescue who for 19 years was the best friend a person could have. Soon to be a permanent part of my MINI Roadster.
to have him looking over my shoulder. I mean I have always thought he was an angel that I was just loaned because lets face it, he rescued me. I will post a photo once it is installed on the car but until then am adding a photo of the inspiration!
Cute dog!
Have you started your own thread about the details and goings-ons of your two MINI?

Old 05-14-2021, 09:50 AM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
I have never figured out how to start a thread! I read others constantly and when I have a question I can almost always either find the answer or if not already there I ask and someone always helps. This forum has been a tremendous help. KC

Old 05-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I have never figured out how to start a thread! I read others constantly and when I have a question I can almost always either find the answer or if not already there I ask and someone always helps. This forum has been a tremendous help. KC

I had the same issue when I started one about my new then JCW.

Just go to the FORUMs link in the header and click on a topic you would like to post in. As an example I picked the Roadster topic (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...talk-2012-385/). At the top you will see a button for starting a new thread. You should also see a “Sticky” as the first post. As it says - read that first.

Have fun posting about your MINIs. This way, all that you have to say will be in one spot. Once you start a thread, you are the OP (original poster) and the thread is, in a manor of speaking, yours. You can alway link back to a post you make in your thread in a thread like this one. You do that by clicking on the post number and you should see a copy option and that should get you the address of that post that you can then use for making a link.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:09 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Swapped out my fog lights for generic 4" LED modules with halo rings. I had the OEM Mini DRL LED fog lights, but one of the halo rings burned out a couple years ago. Was never really happy about that, and didn't want to replace just one side. Then, the lens patina wouldn't match between the two sides. Didn't want to spend the money to replace both sides, either. I vacillated between just swapping in a pair of OEM fog housings with LED plug-n-play bulbs, but that would have cost almost as much as a pair of new OEM LED fog lights. Decided to just measure the fog lights, then find something that fits. Here is where I ended up.

The install was pretty straight forward. The tabs on the new housing are in a suitable position to just screw them into the OEM fog mounting ring. I didn't get any pictures of that part. Then, I snipped the OEM connectors off the harness, and made the connections to the new housing. Fog light connector to the new fog connector, and the upper running light harness to the new housing DRL halo ring. Recoded my DRLs for upper fog light, and done.

These are the fog housings I purchased:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313333152832

Here are the installed pictures:

Installed, all off

Car running, DRLs only

Car running, running lights on, fog lights on

scotty_r56s (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 02:39 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Just popped in a new Torque Solutions lower engine mount. Wow, is this thing solid. Install was super easy - put front up on stands, remove two 16mm bolts, use a pry bar to swing the motor back out of the way an inch or two, pop the old one out, new one in, torgue the two bolt down to 78 lb-ft. The thing that took the longest, honestly, was looking up the torque values. Done in 15 minutes. I did, however, lose hold of the pry bar when trying to get the new one in and whamped myself pretty good with the pry bar right in the forehead. Didn't hurt all that much (I've a hard head), but I do have a small cut there. So if you do this, be careful of the pry bar potential to slip!

Definitely a bit more vibrate-y as the one side is solid and does not have a bushing. Seems to be quite a bit less engine movement - at least that I can feel through the gearshift. Everything seems much more solid.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Today, I put my MINI into front service mode in preparation for a few replacement jobs.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:02 PM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 137 Posts
Slapped on some R888Rs and fell in love all over again.

Old 05-15-2021, 04:57 PM
madcanvis
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Poor Mans JCW brake upgrade

R56 calipers and carriers, Bosch 294mm rotors, EBC Redstuff, and Way Motor Works R56 brake conversion SS lines.
this might have been the easiest job I’ve ever done on the mini. Might be simpler than 2 oil changes. Esp if you need to do brakes anyway.

From NAM thread

Done

Compare Original

Compare new

Old 05-16-2021, 11:35 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 570 Likes on 430 Posts
Today I had the fun of replacing the water pipe from water pump to thermostat housing and fresh coolant. No leaks and hot heat, temps staying normal.

njaremka (05-17-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:38 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Today, I replaced the passenger side engine mount and fixed a light in the sun visor.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:21 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Finally got to open her up after repairs, full pulls 3rd-5th. No issues, full boost, temps stayed normal. I love her when she’s all sorted out, new g plus intercooler on its way, and she’ll be right back where she was.

madcanvis (05-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 PM
madcanvis
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Rear Hard pipe brake lines smoked

After doing the front poor mans jcw brake upgrade saw some stains on the driveway. Oof rear PS brake line weeping. Upon further inspection the line is pretty bad. Driver side will probably go soon. Slowly and carefully left the car at friends auto shop and am shipping This brake line kit directly to his shop for install. Someday I’ll be able to drive it after it’s winter sleep.

Eddie07S (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 05:43 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by madcanvis
After doing the front poor mans jcw brake upgrade saw some stains on the driveway. Oof rear PS brake line weeping. Upon further inspection the line is pretty bad. Driver side will probably go soon. Slowly and carefully left the car at friends auto shop and am shipping This brake line kit directly to his shop for install. Someday I’ll be able to drive it after it’s winter sleep.
Thanks for the post.

I didn’t know this existed. My 2012 may need this in the front...

Old 05-19-2021, 06:33 AM
gomezcarsonk
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I changed the drive belt on my 2012 R56.
No parts left over.
Car started and took me to the store.
https://www.worktime.com/

Last edited by gomezcarsonk; 06-11-2021 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Today, I removed the entire front of my MINI. I found that the radiator support was broken in several places, so I ordered a new one. So, I went ahead and pulled the old one. I needed to replace the fan control resistor device anyway, so I also did that.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:02 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Bought a new ebrake handle. Now, just need a tach ring and my chrome dash will be complete. Hopefully, will be able to find one in a junkyard this summer. Will probably use the middle bit from the old one and do a leather handle that matches my leather downtube covers.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:26 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Custom graphic on windscreen, Continental Extreme Contact tires on R59

Ann, a wonderful graphic artist sent me a mock up of the windscreen to be installed in the JCW Roadster. The company makes them for many different types of convertibles. Initially it was to have just my 19 year old rescue, Scout who passed in October, but in telling stories and giving photos for her to review, I realized that for most of his life his big brother the Bichon Lars, who made it to almost 16 years of age was his other constant companion. Lars was my first small dog having always had German Shepherds before. While I loved German Shepherds, especially my first who had about a 50 word vocabulary

and was so , so smart, I found that the little guys can be such happy clowns without some of the arthritic issues that seem to plague Shepherds. In any event here is the mock up.

I also installed red Union Jack taillights on the Roadster and exchanged the run flat tires for 17" Continental Extreme Contact Sport. I love my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on the Clubman, but the set of Continentals right from the start changed the driving experience dramatically. I feel planted. There is no skitter or jerking in curves. Steering response is fabulous. You can feel the road surface but they are surprisingly very comfortable and there is little road noise. I am just thrilled at how much better the Roadster performs and feels with this set of summer performance tires.
Next week, is paint correction on the Roadster. The detailer told me that the "smears" I saw in the paint in a couple places was most likely called by not removing bug guts! I have hit some monster bugs when driving this week and spend a few minutes after ever drive getting the remains of insects off the car. When they get it in the grill it is just gross. When complete I am going to apply a ceramic coat for protection. I just don't know what level to go for. I am hoping there is a forum topic/thread on this issue to help me make up my mind. This is costing more than I had budgeted. I had no idea that paint correction took such a long time. Apparently black cars show defects more.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:47 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Next week, is paint correction on the Roadster. The detailer told me that the "smears" I saw in the paint in a couple places was most likely called by not removing bug guts! I have hit some monster bugs when driving this week and spend a few minutes after ever drive getting the remains of insects off the car. When they get it in the grill it is just gross. When complete I am going to apply a ceramic coat for protection. I just don't know what level to go for. I am hoping there is a forum topic/thread on this issue to help me make up my mind. This is costing more than I had budgeted. I had no idea that paint correction took such a long time. Apparently black cars show defects more.
Black cars look great for the first 10 minutes after they are clean, then it’s a pollen show, at least this time of year. Yes this is my first and most likely last black car, dark gray seems to stay “cleaner” longer. Side note been thinking about calling the mini the bug slayer, they seem to be attracted to Mini’s at high speeds.

Anywho new G plus intercooler is on Fedex truck in route to me, hopefully it’s gets here before 3 so I can get it installed before wife gets home, if not, she’ll have to wait a few days.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
G Plus intercooler showed up 3:50 pm, by 4:45 pm had everything put away and out on the road. She’s coming back together piece by piece. Found a core support on Craigslist just waiting to hear back from seller. Get to bleed the coolant again if I score.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?