General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Decided to give the handbrake lever the proper spa treatment as the gray paint was peeling. Was looking for a replacement and I can't find anything t

hat is not carbon fiber or without chrome. Asked my go to body shop to paint it chili red to match the exterior and damn I like it! I will take out the big center ring and the two horizontal trim panels on the dash and match it just to give it a custom interior.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:12 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
That looks really good. Nice touch of color.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:54 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I got my JCW 498 Race spokes (not a super common wheel it seems when I ordered them there was none in stock in the United States), JCW Pro exhaust and JCW brake kit installed yesterday

Old 06-23-2021, 01:49 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts
Put up video security over garage doors!

This may be a new one for the "what did you do" thread, but as I have a couple cars that now someone might actually be motivated to steal, I put up motion detection type video cameras over both garage doors. As I had to install the mounts into brick about 8 feet off the ground, it was a 2 day project. I hope never again to drill through a brick, even with a masonry bit. It took forever and my shoulders are crying from holding the drill up for so long. When the bit gets too hot to touch, decided it was time to take a break.
Has an audio function on the Eufy camera, so even if not in the house, if it is triggered, I can speak into my cell phone "get away from the house or I will call the police" and supposedly scare away potential car jackers! Of course if they are taking my Roadster or Clubman, I should point out that my neighbors have cars that cost a whole lot more and perhaps they should select someone elses car. I would need to say "get away from my garage door and go to 2400....*(*(*( street and get their Porsche"......okay maybe the puppy has made me sleep deprived, that sounded better in my head than on the screen.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:22 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by KCinLex
This may be a new one for the "what did you do" thread, but as I have a couple cars that now someone might actually be motivated to steal, I put up motion detection type video cameras over both garage doors. As I had to install the mounts into brick about 8 feet off the ground, it was a 2 day project. I hope never again to drill through a brick, even with a masonry bit. It took forever and my shoulders are crying from holding the drill up for so long. When the bit gets too hot to touch, decided it was time to take a break.
Has an audio function on the Eufy camera, so even if not in the house, if it is triggered, I can speak into my cell phone "get away from the house or I will call the police" and supposedly scare away potential car jackers! Of course if they are taking my Roadster or Clubman, I should point out that my neighbors have cars that cost a whole lot more and perhaps they should select someone elses car. I would need to say "get away from my garage door and go to 2400....*(*(*( street and get their Porsche"......okay maybe the puppy has made me sleep deprived, that sounded better in my head than on the screen.
Did you have a hammer drill? My hammer drill with a masonry bit makes quick work of brick or concrete. Wear your hearing protection, though!

Old 06-24-2021, 02:19 AM
Goin2dirt
2nd Gear
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Took delivery late last night. Very close spec to our last JCW Hardtop

The following 2 users liked this post by Goin2dirt:
Mini-Titan (06-24-2021), scotty_r56s (06-27-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:03 AM
csgirardeau
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Changed my manifold!

Wasn’t today, but I changed my manifold on Sunday. Took 9 hours due to complications…

Complications:

1) One of two heat shield bolts stripped
2) One of two exhaust bolts wouldn’t come off, even with penetrating oil. Luckily (after two hours of struggling) my neighbor let me borrow his impact wrench!
3) Took forever to line up the manifold/gasket to the engine all by myself

All in all, definitely a great project and learning experience!

Back on the road! Need a wash and a smog :D

Yay! California!

Old 06-24-2021, 01:39 PM
RichsMINI
3rd Gear
Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts
Wash and waxed Scarlet since it was a nice cool day

Rich

The following users liked this post:
Goin2dirt (06-24-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 06:50 AM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
No, but if I had more than 2 more holes to drill I would look into it. I have only 1 camera left to mount (extra one came with the kit, so no hurry, it will just cover back yard). I had both glasses and ear buds in while doing so was protected, but my poor dogs stayed far away from the noise!

Old 06-25-2021, 08:38 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
A couple bits and bobs yesterday. Band clamp pliers, valve stem covers, and the new chrome ebake handle. Just need a chome tach or tach ring now. I gather the tach rings were quite rare (there *IS* a part number for them though, so they must have sold them separately).

Old 06-25-2021, 03:44 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Added dash covers from Outmotoring to spice up my black interior. Really good quality and fit perfectly.

Goin2dirt (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 06:52 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jcolletteiii
A couple bits and bobs yesterday. Band clamp pliers, valve stem covers, and the new chrome ebake handle. Just need a chome tach or tach ring now. I gather the tach rings were quite rare (there *IS* a part number for them though, so they must have sold them separately).

I did buy a chrome tach ring around 2016 as a separate part for my R53. I currently own an F56

There's not many MINI owners in ND. I'm in Bismarck and I think there might be more Fiat 500s LOL

Old 06-27-2021, 05:56 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
No, but if I had more than 2 more holes to drill I would look into it. I have only 1 camera left to mount (extra one came with the kit, so no hurry, it will just cover back yard). I had both glasses and ear buds in while doing so was protected, but my poor dogs stayed far away from the noise!
Hammer drill is imperative for masonry work, well worth the 50$ or so for the drill to spare your arms and dogs

Old 06-27-2021, 05:51 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
I did buy a chrome tach ring around 2016 as a separate part for my R53. I currently own an F56

There's not many MINI owners in ND. I'm in Bismarck and I think there might be more Fiat 500s LOL
Yep, 2016 was long ago and far away... I'd still be able to find a right lateral trim panel for decent money... ah well. Eventually. I hear you on the MINIs in ND thing. I get all sorts of questions at gas stations. That hasn't happened with this car since 2008 or 2009 anywhere else. Although, have to say... the few ND MINI owners I have seen do not seem to understand the whole wave thing.

Anyhow, a day late again... made a 'stingray' leather ebrake handle. Details in my build thread. Original ebrake handle is a vinyl tube.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:22 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Wash, detail spray, wheels, etc. Was overdue.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts
Wash and wax last night after dinner.

Forgot the 5 mm spacers front and rear and longer lug bolts.

Last edited by Jason Cornelius; 07-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:52 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
Wash and wax last night after dinner.

Forgot the 5 mm spacers front and rear and longer lug bolts.
If the f series Clubman still looked like that i would have bought one.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:37 AM
Ishihara
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked her up at the dealership, where she had been for the last 9 days working on a check engine light. They determined it was a leaking charcoal filter that cascaded back to my fuel tank vent valve, which caused all the problems. Aaaaaaaaaaand the fifth replacement of my Dinan Elite unit. Really hoping this time was the charm, as the Dinan unit is the only dealer option now as they are no longer doing JCW tuning kits - an I do really enjoy it when it's working. *fingers crossed*

Old 07-04-2021, 06:53 AM
Gennie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Gennie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Got the new key we picked up yesterday programmed to Grumpy so he has working keyless entry again! 🥳

And now we figure out that driver's door at least doesn't lock with the remote for some reason. IIRC it works with the power lock button in the car...

Edit: Nope, it doesn't work with the button inside anymore, either. Seems to have died coincidentally. Good thing there's a parts car around!

Last edited by Yjsaabman; 07-04-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:13 AM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
I did nothing because there were NO INSTRUCTIONS! Dragons

The men in my life had always taken care of things under the hood so to speak while I just wanted to drive. With them gone, I had decided to try my hand at some of the modifications which were geared to the car enthusiast and leave the serious modifications to the expert mechanics. Without exception EVERY SINGLE item came without instructions no matter who I purchased from. Some sellers had their own YouTube how to videos on the products they sold, primarily these were cosmetic in nature. Eventuri has wonderful instructions you can download. The air intake which was packaged beautifully had no mention that instructions were available on line. Since the intake systems varied a bit by the car you own, you were able to get the ones specific to your car. It seems that some of the manufacturers to have instructions online so I now go there first to check. The vast majority have nothing and in some instances I have no idea who made the part, just who sold it.
The Union Jack rear lights I put in my Roadster is a good example. There are lots of companies making these after market. Luckily I was able to find a YouTube video that specified the tools (and the mm size of the tools) I would need to do the install as well as demonstrating the steps. The search took me about an hour since I wanted to make sure my lights were like the ones featured in the video. A simple note sent with the lights saying: "look at YouTube video X by XYZ" for instructions would have saved me time and aggravation.
I had products purchased to work on over the weekend and not a single one had instructions: air intake for Roadster, exhaust tips for Roadster and Clubman (the attachment mechanism for the two were different of course, one had an interior bolt the other had a clamp ring thing), turbo blanket, sunroof decal and other minor cosmetic additions. It ended up that the air intake was for the wrong engine, the exhaust tips fit nothing even though based on the diameter of mine they should have fit and the turbo blanket came with absolutely no explanation and after searching here for help with it, I decided that maybe it was a good thing that there had been no instructions as some of the comments here made me reconsider the wisdom of the install. The actual list of products installed is far longer, this is just the most recent example. So what did I do with the 3 day holiday weekend? Not a bloody thing. Oh that's

Black Dragons to match Mini Black Logo & Trim

not true, I did put 2 tiny dragons on my clubman!
I guess I won't be able to join the do it yourself club because I know what happens when I blindly do what seems logical to me..........it ends up being wrong, leaving me with a sometimes expensive fix. Is the lack of instructions a guy thing or is there a belief that the installer is experienced? Either way, it stinks and is disappointing. I had the money saved and the desire to learn new skills so should have been a no brainer, but I am at this point chucking it all. It is just too much squeeze for the juice. The toilets need to have the interior plumbing changed. I hear there are good YouTube and WikiHow videos on that process, so maybe I will go there next........what fun.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:04 PM
GuardianDesigns
Former Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
If the f series Clubman still looked like that i would have bought one.
R55 was definitely a "moment in time car" that nailed the right balance of sporting/practical but in "right size". Love mine as well.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by GuardianDesigns
R55 was definitely a "moment in time car" that nailed the right balance of sporting/practical but in "right size". Love mine as well.
It’s fun sized, I love mine. Such a blast to drive.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
The men in my life had always taken care of things under the hood so to speak while I just wanted to drive. With them gone, I had decided to try my hand at some of the modifications which were geared to the car enthusiast and leave the serious modifications to the expert mechanics. Without exception EVERY SINGLE item came without instructions no matter who I purchased from. Some sellers had their own YouTube how to videos on the products they sold, primarily these were cosmetic in nature. Eventuri has wonderful instructions you can download. The air intake which was packaged beautifully had no mention that instructions were available on line. Since the intake systems varied a bit by the car you own, you were able to get the ones specific to your car. It seems that some of the manufacturers to have instructions online so I now go there first to check. The vast majority have nothing and in some instances I have no idea who made the part, just who sold it.
The Union Jack rear lights I put in my Roadster is a good example. There are lots of companies making these after market. Luckily I was able to find a YouTube video that specified the tools (and the mm size of the tools) I would need to do the install as well as demonstrating the steps. The search took me about an hour since I wanted to make sure my lights were like the ones featured in the video. A simple note sent with the lights saying: "look at YouTube video X by XYZ" for instructions would have saved me time and aggravation.
I had products purchased to work on over the weekend and not a single one had instructions: air intake for Roadster, exhaust tips for Roadster and Clubman (the attachment mechanism for the two were different of course, one had an interior bolt the other had a clamp ring thing), turbo blanket, sunroof decal and other minor cosmetic additions. It ended up that the air intake was for the wrong engine, the exhaust tips fit nothing even though based on the diameter of mine they should have fit and the turbo blanket came with absolutely no explanation and after searching here for help with it, I decided that maybe it was a good thing that there had been no instructions as some of the comments here made me reconsider the wisdom of the install. The actual list of products installed is far longer, this is just the most recent example. So what did I do with the 3 day holiday weekend? Not a bloody thing. Oh that's

Black Dragons to match Mini Black Logo & Trim

not true, I did put 2 tiny dragons on my clubman!
I guess I won't be able to join the do it yourself club because I know what happens when I blindly do what seems logical to me..........it ends up being wrong, leaving me with a sometimes expensive fix. Is the lack of instructions a guy thing or is there a belief that the installer is experienced? Either way, it stinks and is disappointing. I had the money saved and the desire to learn new skills so should have been a no brainer, but I am at this point chucking it all. It is just too much squeeze for the juice. The toilets need to have the interior plumbing changed. I hear there are good YouTube and WikiHow videos on that process, so maybe I will go there next........what fun.
Sorry to hear your attempts at DIY modding didn't go so well. My best advice is to scale back a bit. Pick one thing, do your research on parts (what fits/works well) and how to install (manufacturer's website, forums, and YouTube) before you even purchase. This way you can be sure you have a good quality product that fits right, as well as the proper tools and equipment to install it. A good house is built on a solid foundation. Successful DIY modding isn't any different. Don't get discouraged, just take a deep breath and regroup.

If you really want to do this start with the basics of a good selection of hand tools. Screw drivers, metric wrenches, metric socket sets in 1/4" and 3/8" drive, a torx set, some pliers, etc. Start small and work your way up. Maybe some maintenance items like changing the air filter and cabin filter to help get yourself familiar with the cars and the tools. Then move up to things like lights, an air intake, etc. Before long you'll be changing your own brakes and oil!

Goin2dirt (07-07-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?