General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2024, 03:29 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,471 Posts
I would be willing to argue that no one “Needs” more than 50 watts RMS in a vehicle. If someone thinks they do, they should get their ears checked. The 2nd gen Mini HK audio system is advertised at 480 wats across 10 speakers. (Including the tweeters) The amp has 8 channels of output, so that works to roughly 60 watts of output per channel. And that likely “Peak” marketing output, not RMS. I can’t turn the volume up nearly to full without my ears bleeding, let alone listen for any period of time at higher volumes.

The past few weeks of research, and some past system “builds”, have helped me understand what makes a decent car audio system. Unless you’re building a sound chamber for studio quality listening, matching speakers and amps, and adding signal processing, subwoofers, mid ranges, tweeters, oh my…. Here’s my advice, and take it how you will, get speakers that are made for car audio, fit the hole they will be installed, that have the frequency response you want, maybe add a small powered subwoofer depending on your music choices, and enjoy. In the past, I’ve always just updated the in-dash receiver and run whatever cheaper speakers right off the head unit, then added a small powered subwoofer in the trunk, and called it a day. For 90% of the music I listen to, the setup always sounded great. My goal with the Mini wasn’t too far off from that. But since the factory system is starting with an amp, I have plans to throw a new one into the mix.

The following 2 users liked this post by njaremka:
Here2Go (09-12-2024), Yjsaabman (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 03:47 AM
Yjsaabman
5th Gear
Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts
Very good advice. Part of my point above is not to get caught up in the fancy stuff. You may end up paying more money for higher power handling that results in lower audio output than what you could have attained for less money. Happiness per dollar spent.

Old 09-12-2024, 08:19 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,000 Likes on 616 Posts
I have no external Amplifier. Or at this point; don't intend on installing one.
Apparently, (without puling the head unit), as I've read; the factory Alpine boost head unit puts out 25(-) watts.
The JBLs that I've currently selected; 4ohms @300 watts may be unnecessary/overkill(?)

You've provided great insight and furthering my understanding (to a degree)...
I've explored Crutchfield for speaker options based on my factory set up as well as having another look around for mid range since my doors are already component. I also have the adapters.

To the the best of my (novice comprehension), I'm now looking at (possibly) 6.5" lower doors @ 45 watts RMS (90 watts peak) and 6x9's rears @ 60 watts RMS (120 watts peak).

Does that make sense?
Perhaps I think I need to do a bit more reading/investigating 'til it sinks in.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Here2Go; 09-12-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2024, 08:34 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
If you do not have the HK or HiFi system, then your OEM speakers are likely 4ohm, and any car audio speakers will work fine. If you're going to run them off the stock head unit, then no need to go high wattage capacity speakers. The JBL Clubs are nice because they have a slightly lower impedance rating, which can equate to a slightly higher sound output. I've always been a big fan of Pioneer, too. The Pioneers seem to have good dynamic range.

Crutchfield is a good resource to find out the factory speaker sizes and locations. I am not familiar with the R53 speaker layout. Do you have tweeters in the upper door panel? If you do, you could go with a 6.5" component set, and just not use the tweeter / crossover.

The only other thing to keep in mind, or check before buying, is mounting depth. Make sure you have clearance in the door for whatever speaker you go with.

The following users liked this post:
Here2Go (09-12-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 06:38 PM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I TOOK IT FOR A DRIVE! 1st time in months since the accident. Still have some things to do but after an alignment, it is road ready. Finally! Pics to follow after I give him a bath. It has 3 months of dust from my nasty garage on it right now.

khnitz (09-13-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 07:19 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
I gave Lazarus a bath.

The whole process of fixing it is in my R58 Donor car teardown thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4683419

The following 5 users liked this post by DogfaceSGM:
ECSTuning (Yesterday), Eddie07S (09-15-2024), Here2Go (09-14-2024), khnitz (09-14-2024), SneakyBaron (Yesterday)
Old 09-15-2024, 02:42 PM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

At the Beach

A bit of a bath, adjusted ride a bit (still dialing in Bilsteins), then took a nice drive down A1A and took wife to lunch at the beach. Early F1 races give you a good start on the day, Baku was a fun watch.

The following 2 users liked this post by FlyingScot57:
Here2Go (09-15-2024), khnitz (09-15-2024)
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Stay safe out there folks!

On the way home from the office yesterday, a piece of debris came across 5e median of the highway and struck my rear quarter panel and took out my wheel. Could have been so much worse. Now I get to start an insurance claim this morning. Yay.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,202 Likes on 936 Posts
Whoa! Crap!

How does that happen? Probably will never know…

Glad you are OK and that the car sort-of is. Hope it goes well with the insurance company.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Whoa! Crap!

How does that happen? Probably will never know…

Glad you are OK and that the car sort-of is. Hope it goes well with the insurance company.
"Something" came across the median and hit the car. The whole incident from seeing "whatever it was" to it hitting me was less than a second. Absolutely no time to respond. And because it happened so fast, I still have no clue what it was. Neither the trooper or the highway HELP person could see anything in the road or on the side of the road that could have done this. Maybe it was aliens.... The car is drivable, so I'm hoping its all superficial.

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM
Here2Go
NAM Community Team
Received 1,000 Likes on 616 Posts
Oh man - Sorry to hear that happen to your Clubbie
Glad to know you're ok!

( 'Had someone loose a rear wheel in lane 4, while cruising down I95 (W Palm beach). It bounced and passed right over my hood, inches in front of my windshield.
It was moving so fast I had no idea what it was at first. I managed to get a glimpse of it in my peripheral before it bounced off out of sight into some woods.)

Last edited by Here2Go; Yesterday at 08:30 AM. Reason: corrected: "tire" with wheel
Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
DogfaceSGM
4th Gear
Dude! After going through everything I have over the last couple months, I hate to see this happen to you. Hopefully you can get it back to its glory!

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted!

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,861 Posts
Originally Posted by DogfaceSGM
I gave Lazarus a bath.

The whole process of fixing it is in my R58 Donor car teardown thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4683419

Gloss black trim looks awesome!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,202 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Stay safe out there folks!

On the way home from the office yesterday, a piece of debris came across 5e median of the highway and struck my rear quarter panel and took out my wheel. Could have been so much worse. Now I get to start an insurance claim this morning. Yay.
I’ve had a few odd ones like that, though not that much damage. I once had a stone or something that hit the glass of my driver’s side mirror and break it. I was doing 65-ish on a multi lane highway and whatever it the actual mirror was traveling in the same direction but much faster. The only thing I could figure is that it was flung there off the tire of the trailer I was towing. Another one was a small piece of angle iron that caught by the edge of the rear tire of the 911 Porsche that was in front of me. It flipped up in the air, landed on the pavement in front of my car, bounce as I drove over it and it went forward through the back side of the car’s radiator. I wonder if your front tire caught the edge of a piece of metal on the side of the road and it flipped up into the side of your car. Just a thought… not that it will fix the damage. Again, hope it gets resolved acceptably.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
FlyingScot57
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad to see you are alright and the car is drivable with a new wheel. May your insurance journey be easy…I live in South Florida and we get crap on the road all the time, unfortunately. I have a rash on the right front lip of the car where a truck tire tread hit. Luckily it went around and not under the car…because of this and other incidents I’ve added the Rennline aluminum skid plate from ECS. This or an X brace helps with oil pan, starter, headers, etc. if anything is going underneath car. Nothing you can do when getting in speared in the side like that…

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
I’ve had a few odd ones like that, though not that much damage. I once had a stone or something that hit the glass of my driver’s side mirror and break it. I was doing 65-ish on a multi lane highway and whatever it the actual mirror was traveling in the same direction but much faster. The only thing I could figure is that it was flung there off the tire of the trailer I was towing. Another one was a small piece of angle iron that caught by the edge of the rear tire of the 911 Porsche that was in front of me. It flipped up in the air, landed on the pavement in front of my car, bounce as I drove over it and it went forward through the back side of the car’s radiator. I wonder if your front tire caught the edge of a piece of metal on the side of the road and it flipped up into the side of your car. Just a thought… not that it will fix the damage. Again, hope it gets resolved acceptably.
It was definitely moving across the roadway towards the car. My son was with me and he briefly saw it too. Neither one of us is sure what it was.

Originally Posted by FlyingScot57
Glad to see you are alright and the car is drivable with a new wheel. May your insurance journey be easy…I live in South Florida and we get crap on the road all the time, unfortunately. I have a rash on the right front lip of the car where a truck tire tread hit. Luckily it went around and not under the car…because of this and other incidents I’ve added the Rennline aluminum skid plate from ECS. This or an X brace helps with oil pan, starter, headers, etc. if anything is going underneath car. Nothing you can do when getting in speared in the side like that…
I have a GP2 undertray. Based on what happened tot he side of the car, not sure anything would have stopped it from doing damage had it hit the front of the car. Pretty sure if it hit the front, the car would be totaled.

Talked to the insurance coordinator this afternoon. Now, waiting for a call from the field adjuster to make an appointment to see the car and get the preliminary.

Eddie07S (Today)