General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't understand the change in method of forced induction...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand the change in method of forced induction...

Maybe someone could answer this, I've always been curious about this. Why did MINI change the S from a supercharger to a turbo? I know each has their advantages, but the turbo is much more complex to install, has lag, are much more difficult to tune, and due to heat and other issues are generally not as reliable or long lasting.

Turbos have their place, so I'm not saying they're useless, not by any means, but I don't really see what would have sparked MINI's drastic change. Does anyone have an answer, or maybe some thoughts?

Besides, who doesn't want to hear that beautiful whiiiiiiiIIIIIIne of the supercharger

Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mello_Yellow
but the turbo is much more complex to install
There you have it. The supercharger was quicker and less troublesome to integrate in a hurry.

has lag, are much more difficult to tune, and due to heat and other issues are generally not as reliable or long lasting.
Thats debatable.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
but the turbo is much more complex to install

Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
There you have it. The supercharger was quicker and less troublesome to integrate in a hurry.
has lag, are much more difficult to tune, and due to heat and other issues are generally not as reliable or long lasting.

Thats debatable.
I'll skip the argument with your last sentence (as I'm passionate about my stance on those points), but I'd like to ask you what you meant by your first statement. That would mean it would be in favor for them to have kept the supercharger.. not the turbo . So I guess I'm still lost as to why they would remove something easier to install?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was only meant to be temporary. They could get a supercharged motor developed and out the door a lot faster. The turbo is far more efficient in all respects. They were able to sell supercharged performance S models while the turbo plant was developed.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
It was only meant to be temporary. They could get a supercharged motor developed and out the door a lot faster. The turbo is far more efficient in all respects. They were able to sell supercharged performance S models while the turbo plant was developed.

thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:48 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
The Tritec Supercharged engine was co-developed by Chrylser & BMW, then already in production in 1999 for the Neon. Then in 2007, BMW's contract with Tritec expired and it terminated the joint venture with DaimlerChrysler, so this engine was no longer available.

When things like this happen, rarely does it ever have to do with performance, as it does with availabiltiy of a product and the means to hammer out a deal.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Also, stricter fuel economy and emissions regulations played a part in developing the current engine.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think Suzanne's answer is more to the point, look how much better the turbo motors do than the supercharged in fuel economy - mine is as much as 6 mpg better on a trip....less fuel used for the same HP and engine size means more efficiency, which means less emissions too.

Also, the turbo engine is an aluminum block, they were going for weight savings as well, and I'll bet there's significant wieght savings between the turbo package and the supercharged....

The head on the turbo motor is a crossflow design, the supercharged engine wasn't, so that could have actually made the packaging easier too...

All this considered, the supercharged motor is a sweatheart of an engine tho, I really liked mine in my '03 JCW!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
The turbo was decided upon for the reasons above including the fact that it was a joint European design and the turbo is more common and easier to develope.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You say that the Tritec is easier to tune then the Prince motor but, I think more in the fact that not a lot of R&D has gone into the Prince compared to the Trictec. Heck it has been out for 11 years were as the Prince has been about half that time. In time in time we should see more things out of the Prince. BTW money is the name of the game it might have been cheaper to build a turbo motor then a s/c.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
Awesome replies, and thanks for all the answers. It just baffled me is all, but supply issues among other things do make sense.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The turbo engine has more power, and much better mpg than the supercharged engine.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
All this considered, the supercharged motor is a sweatheart of an engine tho...
Sweetheart, indeed... the Tritec Supercharged engine was BMW's only 4-cylinder engine to win a spot in "Ward's 10 Best Engines". It did so in 2003...All other BMW engines in the "Ward's top 10" have been iterations of either their straight-six or V8 engines (their V12 won once, in 1998).

It also won "International Engine of the Year" in the 1.4 - 1.8 liter category, again in 2003... (and the BMW-PSA "Prince" engine has won in that same category for the last three years).

What is clear is that BMW/MINI knows how to develop awesome engines for their cars...

Awards, engine efficiency, weight, etc. aside....I LOOOOOOVE that sweet supercharger whine!!!

Last edited by Gerldoc; 06-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gerldoc
Sweetheart, indeed... the Tritec Supercharged engine was BMW's only 4-cylinder engine to win a spot in "Ward's 10 Best Engines". It did so in 2003...All other BMW engines in the "Ward's top 10" have been iterations of either their straight-six or V8 engines (their V12 won once, in 1998).

It also won "International Engine of the Year" in the 1.4 - 1.8 liter category, again in 2003...

Awards, engine efficiency, weight, etc. aside....I LOOOOOOVE that sweet supercharger whine!!!
Interesting to know about it's awards. I can understand the love for the turbo and all, but I'm personally glad I have the supercharger. Thanks for the history lesson, guys.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Everyone likes their supercharge whine. Well I like my turbo spool and blow off.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Everyone likes their supercharge whine. Well I like my turbo spool and blow off.
Wow...hit a nerve there? Take a chill pill.

We all love our cars, that's why we're on this forum...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 PM
traction
1st Gear
uhg. blowoff.... takes me back to the highschool turbo charged noisemaker days. Oh, and he wasnt being sarcastic when he said "blow off" :/

Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Oh ya not sarcastic at all I like the sound of the blow off valve thats what I should have said.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Oh ya not sarcastic at all I like the sound of the blow off valve thats what I should have said.
That's better...

BTW - you said that "not alot of R&D" had gone into the Prince engine - did you see my comment about that engine winning for the past three years in the 1.4 -1.8 liter category for International Engine of the Year? They beat out Toyota's Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive engine, starting in 2007.
I hardly think this would have been accomplished with "not alot of R&D"...
BMW/MINI is way too smart for that!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Fuel economy and emissions were huge factors in switching to turbo. It is no accident that superchargers are so rare in production cars across the entire automotive industry.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Aftermarket R&D(prince motor). It just doesn't have a great aftermarket following but that is mostly becuase it seems to be that most people think an intake and exhaust is going to net them great power.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Mello_Yellow
3rd Gear
Lol, I didn't take it the wrong way, then I saw Gerldoc's response and was like... what the hell? Haha, didn't think Porthos had that in him to be mean .

Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Lol, I didn't take it the wrong way, then I saw Gerldoc's response and was like... what the hell? Haha, didn't think Porthos had that in him to be mean .
I was so glad to know that I took it the wrong way! I've seen some heated exchanges on NAM and didn't want to be part of one...

In a perfect world, I'd have my R52, and an R56 as well - to enjoy the best of both worlds!!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I love heated debates as long as both sides are resonably educated on what they are talking about. I drove an R52 yesterday breaking in the brakes and I can see why a lot of people like them. They are very comfortable and the super charger whine is pretty cool. But its not for me.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I interpreted 'blow off' as the blow-off valve used on turbocharged engines to release excess boost.

Supercharges rule though.

Quick Reply: I don't understand the change in method of forced induction...