General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbroken

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
DharmaKitty
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heartbroken

I was supposed to go to the dealership today after work to get a Mini. I had been in test driving on Saturday. The salesperson was really great, explained a lot to me, was very low pressure, actually recommended I go home and look over their online inventory and decide exactly what I wanted. She was scheduled to go to a training seminar on Monday and Tuesday but would be back on Wednesday (today). Great, I told her I'd be in on Wednesday because I definitely wanted to buy one of the 2010s before the incentives expire.

When I got home, I discovered they had a Mayfair on the lot! In a manual! I don't know how I didn't see that at the dealership. I sent her an email, telling her I wanted the Mayfair. Got a call on Monday from the customer service rep dude wanting to make sure I was happy with my test drive. I told him I was and that I was excited to come back and get the Mayfair.

I was leaving work at 5 today to go straight to the dealership. At 4, the salesperson emailed me to tell me that they sold the Mayfair today. Man oh man! I had even picked out the vanity plates I wanted on it.

I am heartbroken. I am in love with the Mayfair. I searched online inventories for dealers within a 600 mile radius of me. There doesn't seem to be one. Now that I'm heartbroken over the Mayfair, nothing else looks as good to me. I love, love, love the interior of the Mayfair and you just can't duplicate it with the available options on the 2011. And those seats. And the wheels. When I read that email, I swear I felt like a boyfriend had just broken off with me. So unfair!

I guess I have to wait and watch for one to show up used.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a terrible feeling. I'm sorry to hear it!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Sorry to hear your dream car got away. Hopefully you will find another one, you can always hope and keep looking.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Sorry to hear you're sad. Ask your MA to do a vehicle locate on another Mayfair. There's got to be one out there somewhere. Don't give up. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
This has to be the first time I have ever heard of a salesperson at a dealership tell the prospective buyer to 'go home and think about it'...

Sorry you lost out on the Mayfair... Next time, don't hesitate because there are only so many out there...

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
so sorry!

DharmaKitty: That is terrible! I would call that dealer everyday until they find one for you! Good luck

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
yeah, this is not to sound woulda-shoulda, but if you find one, offer a deposit over the phone and grab it. If you want the Limited Edition vehicle, you have to jump because of that scarcity. I had a chance to pick up an unusual MINI a month back, but wanted to stick with my order. The car had just rolled in, still had plastic on it. By the time I ultimately was leaving the shop, it was sold. CRAZY!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
DharmaKitty
Neutral
I know, I know, I'm kicking myself royally right now. I should have not waited for the MA to get back from training. I was trying to be considerate knowing they work on commission. But you're right, you've got to pounce when it comes to a special edition. I have learned my lesson!

I did ask her to look for another Mayfair for me. I haven't heard back from her. I looked at the online inventory of every dealer between Las Vegas and Florida (I'm in Texas) and I didn't find one. All I can do at this point is wait for a used one to show up for sale somewhere.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 PM
kami_sn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DharmaKitty
I know, I know, I'm kicking myself royally right now. I should have not waited for the MA to get back from training. I was trying to be considerate knowing they work on commission. But you're right, you've got to pounce when it comes to a special edition. I have learned my lesson!

I did ask her to look for another Mayfair for me. I haven't heard back from her. I looked at the online inventory of every dealer between Las Vegas and Florida (I'm in Texas) and I didn't find one. All I can do at this point is wait for a used one to show up for sale somewhere.
Have You seen this?
http://www.momentum-mini.net/VehicleDetails/734703313

you can drive this weekend to Houston and pick her up, I ordered mine from them, my MA was a Super nice guy and always responded all of my emails within 24Hrs.

If you are interested PM me I will send you his contacts

Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Malice Cooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
yeah, this is not to sound woulda-shoulda, but if you find one, offer a deposit over the phone and grab it. If you want the Limited Edition vehicle, you have to jump because of that scarcity. I had a chance to pick up an unusual MINI a month back, but wanted to stick with my order. The car had just rolled in, still had plastic on it. By the time I ultimately was leaving the shop, it was sold. CRAZY!
Not so crazy. That's how I got mine. Got back from a test drive, MA said come over here and look at what just rolled off the truck.3 hrs later it was mine!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
DharmaKitty
Neutral
Originally Posted by kami_sn
Have You seen this?
http://www.momentum-mini.net/VehicleDetails/734703313

you can drive this weekend to Houston and pick her up, I ordered mine from them, my MA was a Super nice guy and always responded all of my emails within 24Hrs.

If you are interested PM me I will send you his contacts
OMG! I don't know how I missed that? Maybe because I was searching for Justa's and not S's. Thank you so much!

I'm going to call the MA here and see if she can do a dealer transfer and what that would cost. But you're right, I could drive down this weekend if I need to! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 PM
DharmaKitty
Neutral
Automatic? That's a deal breaker.

Oh no, I just looked at the listing again, and it says that one in Houston is an automatic. That's a deal breaker for me. As much as I want a Mayfair, giving up the stick shift takes away half of the fun.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
kami_sn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DharmaKitty
giving up the stick shift takes away half of the fun.
Sorry about that, I did not payed attention to that part. Actually having half of the fun is better than no fun at all

Hope you find the one that you want

Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another option might be expanding your search area. Yes it would involve a plane trip but that could make for a nice 2 or 3 day adventure driving your dream car home. You would also have a nicely broken in car by the time you got back.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
That's totally true. I mean, my boss went to Germany to pick his 3 series wagon from the BMW factory. You could make a fun trip out of the journey and get the break in taken are of quick snap.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FORGET THIS POST. I didn't know what a MAYFAIR is

Last edited by Reebus; 10-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
reebus, that was still hot, though. Camden?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Yeah, I got them confused. I was trying to help, but no go...

Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I was hunting last night...

Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does a Mayfair even come with a stick shift????

Try to find out if that specialty model even has a stick shift option. They are usually loaded with certain items and sold as a very limited edition.

Maybe someone that has one with a stick shift can answer this one without guessing.

DHarmaKitty should ask her dealer if the option of a stick shift is even available for the Mayfair.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Mini4CY
1st Gear
I just spoke with a MA at Motorwerks in Minneapolis and asked her to do a dealer search to see if there was any available any where in the states. She could find none. Sorry !!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
so sorry..... they shodl not have sold it since u tell them alrady

Old 10-22-2010, 02:41 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It it has paddle shifters all you lose is the need to operate the clutch. The "S" only loses about 2/10ths of a second getting to 60 mph with an automatic.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
kami_sn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
It it has paddle shifters all you lose is the need to operate the clutch. The "S" only loses about 2/10ths of a second getting to 60 mph with an automatic.
+1 that, and still think the one down here in Houston is a bargain with 4K off if you can pass on on the manual trani , unless you give-up the Mayfair package and spec a hard top w/ chocolate color and very close spec to Mayfair in 2011 model year....

Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry to hear about you losing the car, that sucks. I echo what 3rdRail said - if you find a car you want, put down a deposit over the phone if nothing less. When I found my R53 last month I did that very thing. Once I got the acceptable PPI results I called the dealer ASAP to put down a menial deposit, just in case.

Be patient, look high & low, and I'm sure your story will have a happy ending.

Quick Reply: Heartbroken