General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Jack Points

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Jack Points

So, I jacked up the MINI by the area between the two OEM jack points (door sill, I guess) so that I'd leave the OEM jack points free for jack stands. Seemed to go well, using a 39" 2"x4" with the floor jack hitting roughly in the center of the 2"x4". However, I found that the pin that seemingly keeps the jack point housing up flush had descended somewhat in the left side passenger OEM jack point. My two questions are: 1) Could it be the technique I used to jack up the car that caused the pin to descend? AND 2) How do you get the pin to go back up flush into the OEM jack point? I assume I could use the OEM jack to jack up the car at that point and the pin will be forced up... Or should I use some other technique to ensure the pin is pushed back up into place properly? Please let me know. Also, do you "condone" the 2"x4" jacking method?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not sure what pin you are talking about at the jack point.
What year and model is your MINI?
Maybe your jack mount is missing (broken off).

Old 12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Must be the pin holding the plastic jack pads onto the car.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
An option for jacking . .

Sorry for a potential hijack but I thought I'd share

Some might remember that for a time Sears had a jacking system where you could jack using the jacking point and then put the car on a jack stand ALSO on the jacking point. They stopped selling this a while back so far as I know.

Another company has introduced a similar system. You place a special pad on your jack which has a plate wider than your jack pad and lift the car. Then you slide into place a special jackstand that stradles the jack and lower the car, and plate, onto the stand. You can remove the jack . . .

It ain't cheap; but some folks have lifts in their garage too ... so I thought I'd share

http://www.imgt3performance.com/jackpoint-jackstands/

I've never been a fan of the 2x4 method but have successfully lifted my car and many other MINIs onto stands since 2002.

(p.s. moderators .... many similar car sites have a TOOLS forum . . . very popular ... very useful .... I go to Miata.net just for their tool forum . . .)

Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
The Sears system was called "Lift-N-Secure." Didn't last long; don't know why; must have been a liability issue of some sort.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quikmni
I am not sure what pin you are talking about at the jack point.
What year and model is your MINI?
Maybe your jack mount is missing (broken off).
There is a pin that is driven upward to keep the jack point (i.e., the hard plastic "box") in place. I have subsequently realized that upward pressure with just a finger is enough to driven the pin back up. However, before I use a jack point going forward, I will first lift the car using my alternative method (via a 2"x4" under the door sill) to see that each pin is fully inserted flush with the top of the jack point. I believe that issue is resolved, now another 10 to go...