General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing your MINI

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
rogueag
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the response. my wife really likes the Mini as her drive around town vehicle when we aren't using the RV. It is the unique wow factor that she likes because here in west TX there are very few Minis. Looks like we may be getting one. I am willing to take a chance on the warranty issue if it ever comes up.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
ernest917
Neutral
Currently Towing Mini

I currently tow a 2003 manual Mini and it works beautifully... I use a Roadmaster tow set-up and had separate wiring for my brakes/turn signals done that plugs into my Class A rig. (Placed diodes into the rear lights so original wiring isn't compromised in any way)

Just towed it 4K miles this summer on vacation with not a single issue.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM
ernest917
Neutral
Towing Mini

Forgot to mention one important point...

When using a car trailer or tow dolly there is one important thing to remember if you are towing behind an RV:

When you pull into that campground, in most cases, you will have to store your trailer or dolly in a different location because most RV sites won't accommodate your RV, trailer and car. Just aren't that long... It would be a concern of mine that makes my trailer/dolly available for theft...

In reviewing all the CG's we stayed in this Summer, (abt 25+ of them) almost all of them required remote storing of trailer or renting 2nd camp site for trailer...

Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM
rogueag
1st Gear
we did it

Well we bought a 2013 CPO Countryman this weekend. It had 10500 miles on it but with the extra two years of warranty, we thought it was worth buying. It is a manual so we can tow behind our pusher. My question is about using a separate break unit for the Mini. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I will be getting a blue ox tow plate for the mini also.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 AM
vtmini38
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rogueag
Well we bought a 2013 CPO Countryman this weekend. It had 10500 miles on it but with the extra two years of warranty, we thought it was worth buying. It is a manual so we can tow behind our pusher. My question is about using a separate break unit for the Mini. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I will be getting a blue ox tow plate for the mini also.
I would most definitely use an auxiliary braking system with a Countryman. My Countryman is ALL4 so can't be flat towed but my MINI is flat towed to FL every spring and all summer in Atlantic Canada. It is probably about six hundred pounds lighter than the Countryman and I would not want to be without that safety measure. FYI, I use an RVi II Brake but there are lots of options. I used a Brake Buddy Classic with my '05 S, both were fine for my purposes. I don't usually hook up the "Break Away" cable but I probably should. I use a Blue Ox Base Plate. Good Luck and we'll maybe see you on the road.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:17 PM
rogueag
1st Gear
Brake advice

thanks so much for the advice on brakes for the mini. I will start searching on line and with my dealer.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM
ernest917
Neutral
I flat tow my 2003 Mini using Roadmaster base plate and tow bar .... I added two steel cables 6,000 lb break strength each to the tow bar and don't use an auxiliary brake.... It's a joy to tow and even more fun when we get there .....

Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM
TestDummy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rogueag
You mention "pusher" so your rig is probably big enough that you don't really need a toad brake system, but many states require them for tows as small as 1500 to 2000-lbs and in the event of an accident in one of those states you could have a big legal problem. I recently bought a 2010 Cooper manual just for the purpose of towing - had Blue Ox baseplate installed and use an old Brake Buddy that is now on it's 4th toad car. Some of the built-in brake systems are more convenient, but the BB works fine, meets the legal requirements, and will move easily to your next MINI. Towed it behind a 33,000-lb pusher for about 2,500-miles last month with no problems. Had to check the rear view camera to even know it was back there.

Ron

Old 10-26-2013, 04:07 AM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
We tow our 2007S 6 speed behind our Class B Winnebago ERA. We use a Blue Ox tow plate, bar, and braking system. We have been towing cars 4 wheels down with 3 Class A's and now our Class B for over 20 years. The Mini makes a great toad and is the most fun car, we've ever owned, to drive once we reach our destination!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 PM
racefan
Neutral
Originally Posted by vtmini38
Unfortunately your automatic MINI is NOT towable four down. Were it a manual it would be although most MINI dealers will not tell you that. I towed a 2005 S for a number of years and now tow my 2013 MINI but both have manual transmissions. Automatic MINIs and ALL4 MINIs, either transmission, are not towable. Check with your local MINI dealer.
You mention the all4's are not towable, stick or automatic. Mechanically what is reason and where did you get your information. Dealers are no help, they say no Mini is towable.
We tow are 04 behind motorhome and it works great. Love Mini's and would hate to switch brands but need 4wd since moving to Oregon.
Any input on towing all4 would be appreciated.
Dealer told me steering wheel locks on standard trans all4 but all posts I have seen say no. What's the truth.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 AM
alanwerner
Neutral
We have a '07 Cooper S which we installed a tow bar system. The only problem is the electronic steering lock that when we put in the "key" runs the battery down so we have no auxiliary braking. Leaving the key out would scrub tires. Any solutions would be appreciated!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM
DeanLinAZ
1st Gear
Alanwerner:

I am no help as my 2013 MINI with electric power steering does not have a steering lock.

You can run a wire from the hot pin on your motor home electrical plug at the hitch to your MINI's positive battery terminal which should keep the MINI's battery charged while under way. I think there is a kit available from Blue Ox which will make this work for you.

Good luck and happy towing your MINI. Be safe.

DeanLinAZ

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM
mloganusda
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have towed automatic cars 4 down but kept the engine running to circulate the trans fluid. I have an 06' MCS automatic, if I keep the car running, can I tow 4 flat?

Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Wondering if a solution has been found for towing the mini with the steering lock besides unhooking the battery or running a power charger from the RV? (maybe it is easiest to remove the steering lock?)

I plug the key in to unlock the steering wheel and turn everything off then as soon as the car starts rolling with the RV the interior lights nav/radio and running lights come on if dark out.

I would like to just pull the fuse if possible. I have pulled the radio fuse and that worked but im afraid there may be other systems running. Any ideas on other fuses to pull?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Any ideas? I'd like to pull it this weekend.
Thx.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
The best way to tow is to put it on a small trailer and pull it behind , cover its so rocks ad debris dont fly up and high the front, on a small trailer flat with all four wheels on the trailer and strap it down. I would be to worried about putting pressure on the transmission / drive-train when engine is not running and also burning up the tires if the steering wheel is not straight.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 AM
MTVic
1st Gear
Bump.

I Need to know the procedure to tow my Coupe S with a tow dolly. Dealer said front wheels on, strps, release parking brake AND put it in neutral. Neutral??? Why? Front wheel drive and I would have thought I want as much resistance on the front wheels as possibly so it doesn't wiggle around.

Please help, and do you think and boy parts might scrape front and bacl. Standard coupe S package, no add ons.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:47 AM
tom strange
1st Gear
to add to this question ... I will be towing my 2002 hatchback on a trailer (4 wheels up). I am used to going straight to the frame for tie down points, but do not see much on the Mini that is practical for that. I really dont like anchoring to the suspension, especially for a long ride. What are the recommended tie points?

Old 08-15-2016, 01:56 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found this thread and several other mentions of mileage not being registered when towed. I just set my Clubman up as a toad and took a 150 mi. trip as a shakedown cruise. Guess what? I got 66mpg because the odo showed an extra 150 miles. Key was not on.
How do I solve this?

Originally Posted by vtmini38
Sorry, I'm a little late on board this. . . I had a 2005, S, 6 speed, that was a toad for over 60,000 miles. It showed 27,700 on the odometer when I sold it in August 2012 to get my 2013 Justa. The only difference I recognized as a result of flat towing was premature tire wear. MINIs do not register toad mileage. My MINI service people (to remain nameless for their protection) assured me that flat towing a manual MINI did NO harm what-so-ever and would not change service requirements. With both the old and the new MINI I have installed an always HOT accessory (cig lighter) plug for a Brake Buddy. I rarely used the Brake Buddy with the old MINI but I will start out using it with the new MINI. I changed no wiring, other than a new accessory plug connected directly to the battery, in either MINI. I use good quality magnetic LED lights stuck to the roof of the MINI, with a cable to the motor-home, for all lights. I call them Mickey Mouse ears. I run the cable into the MINI from the hatchback, through the MINI and out the forward, right, side of the front door. From there the cord goes through the engine compartment and out the front to the motor-home hitch electrical plug.

I always left a key in the ignition with the old MINI to prevent steering wheel lock. I have not tested it but I see no reason to leave the pod (disk) key in the 2013 MINI because the steering wheel does not lock and I do not need it in for power to the accessory plug.

Does anyone know something about the newer MINIs (2013) that I might be missing here?

Old 09-07-2016, 03:55 PM
valeroy
Neutral
battery went dead after towing

We have a 2009 mini cooper s convertible and are flat towing it behind or class c motorhome.. We just returned from a trip. As long as we drove the
mini every day it was fine. We went 2 days without driving it.When we got home, however, the mini's battery was dead. We just put it in neutral and take the break off in order to tow it.The fob is not even in the ignition. We put a trickle charger on it when we got home for about a day and it did not charge. Crazy thing is somehow the doors locked and our fobs quit working. We had to open the door with the key. Also, while it was plugged in to the trickle charger, we came home at night and the tail lights were blinking off and on as it sat in the driveway!! I think it is possessed! Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely some weird stuff going on with your electrical. If I had to guess, all will be OK again once you get the battery & fob charged and together again. Try charging the battery with the cables removed. My battery died once when I left the parking lights on and strange thing happened that corrected themselves the next day after a good charge and a drive.
My problem above resolved itself when I removed the fob completely.

Originally Posted by valeroy
We have a 2009 mini cooper s convertible and are flat towing it behind or class c motorhome.. We just returned from a trip. As long as we drove the
mini every day it was fine. We went 2 days without driving it.When we got home, however, the mini's battery was dead. We just put it in neutral and take the break off in order to tow it.The fob is not even in the ignition. We put a trickle charger on it when we got home for about a day and it did not charge. Crazy thing is somehow the doors locked and our fobs quit working. We had to open the door with the key. Also, while it was plugged in to the trickle charger, we came home at night and the tail lights were blinking off and on as it sat in the driveway!! I think it is possessed! Any ideas?

Old 04-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Naliko Markel
I have the same questions, did anyone respond? I've got a 2014 Countryman S ALL4 manual and I want to flat tow it.