General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has the Bentley manual done for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM
MINIng
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What has the Bentley manual done for you?

So I'm kind of new to the site and been reading about this Bentley manual. I haven't had my r53 for too long and want to make a good first investment. I've heard good things about the manual and was considering buying one until I found out that it cost a lot of fun tickets. It looks like a real reliable product and the website looks great too. I may sound like a cheap skate but lets just say I'm running low on my stash of fun tickets. I just want to know what everyone really thinks of it because I'm might just take the plunge.

Lets hear the verdict on the Bentley manual. And if you really like it, lets hear what the Bentley manual did for you?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I have an 04 R50.
Bought the Bentley manual a day after buying the car.
I have used the manual for brakes, suspension, interior and body work.
It is easy to use and follow.
Should be required for all MINI owners.
It also has lots of dirty pictures.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an R56 and I can't wait to get one.
Bentley says 'coming soon' , but I'll still wait.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 AM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
If I owned a Bentley I might get one.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you plan on working on your car, it is well worth it.

I bought it even though I wont be doing that much work on my car. After seeing the explanations and pictures, I may actually get the courage to do some things that I wouldn't have normally tackled.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 AM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
I'd say if you plan on doing any work on your vehicle yourself, it is well worth the investment.

It taught me how to:
Completely disassemble and re-assemble my interior
Remove and put back plenty of exterior trim bits and pieces
Replace my radiator and modular front end
Change my intake from standard to JCW
How to properly change my oil (I had never done it before)
How to replace my window regulator
How to change brake pads and rotors
How to replace a caliper

Again, it is a fantastic resource to have and well worth the money.

-Chase

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
My input: I bought it and I like it.
But... if you're running low on 'fun tickets' and have a laptop, NAM and the various How Tos can provide virtually all the info you need to do what you need to get done.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:36 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I usually use a combo of the Bently Manual and the various DIY threads. The Bentley manual is great for specific things--like torque specs on various bolts, which is invaluable, and the pics are helpful (although sometimes it can take a little bit of back and forth between the car and the picture to sort it all out), where the DIY's here and other places (There is a list of them somewhere, soopercooper or something like that) will often go into detail on problem points on a particular project.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JimR56JCW
If I owned a Bentley I might get one.
If you owned a Bentley you wouldn't need one .

Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are....

Old 04-30-2011, 09:44 PM
MINIng
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Vollgas
I have an 04 R50.
Bought the Bentley manual a day after buying the car.
I have used the manual for brakes, suspension, interior and body work.
It is easy to use and follow.
Should be required for all MINI owners.
It also has lots of dirty pictures.
I love dirty pictures... I'm sold!

Originally Posted by chaseabryant
I'd say if you plan on doing any work on your vehicle yourself, it is well worth the investment.

It taught me how to:
Completely disassemble and re-assemble my interior
Remove and put back plenty of exterior trim bits and pieces
Replace my radiator and modular front end
Change my intake from standard to JCW
How to properly change my oil (I had never done it before)
How to replace my window regulator
How to change brake pads and rotors
How to replace a caliper

Again, it is a fantastic resource to have and well worth the money.

-Chase
Yeah. I just broke off one of the clips to my grill, need to change my oil, and want to do some upgrades. Thanks for the input.
Does anyone know if the language of the manual is newbie-friendly, or do I need to have a dictionary with me?
Also, where is the best place to buy the manual? online or in-store? if in-store, which one? Dealer?

Last edited by MINIng; 04-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIng
I love dirty pictures... I'm sold!

Yeah. I just broke off one of the clips to my grill, need to change my oil, and want to do some upgrades. Thanks for the input.
Does anyone know if the language of the manual is newbie-friendly, or do I need to have a dictionary with me?
Also, where is the best place to buy the manual? online or in-store? if in-store, which one? Dealer?
It's relatively straightforward. There is also the Haynes manual, which I don't own, but I'll probably pick one up too--between the two, you can pretty much figure anything out.

I'd google it--often times you can find them on sale, or watch the marketplace here--there always seems to be one popping up in used, in good condition.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
IMO for the average home wrench turner the Haynes has more than enuf info at a fraction of the cost of a Bentley.

I find myself answering questions here with Haynes info that no one with a bentley ever responds to. Now that may be that I'm a nice guy who is willing to look, or the Bentley is a PIA to find anything . . .

Lastly - classic folks tend to get by with haynes . . . .

but if you want a nice thick book . . . it is also available from many sources as a PDF . . . just google it

Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 PM
MINIng
2nd Gear
@cct1
good word on the marketplace. I check that out...

@Capt
sad to say, but i'm probably worse off than the average wrench turner

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cct1
Yeah, I usually use a combo of the Bently Manual and the various DIY threads. The Bentley manual is great for specific things--like torque specs on various bolts, which is invaluable, and the pics are helpful (although sometimes it can take a little bit of back and forth between the car and the picture to sort it all out), where the DIY's here and other places (There is a list of them somewhere, soopercooper or something like that) will often go into detail on problem points on a particular project.
Former 1st Gen MINI: +1 Also useful to supplement vendor-supplied installation instructions for aftermarket mods

Current 2nd Gen MINI: N/A

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
MINIng
2nd Gear
So last night, I went all in and got the manual from Bentley Publishers website. I think it came with the Diagnostic part too. Gonna change the oil first thing when it arrives. thanks for all the input dudes...

Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
cct1
6th Gear
So last night, I went all in and got the manual from Bentley Publishers website. I think it came with the Diagnostic part too. Gonna change the oil first thing when it arrives. thanks for all the input dudes...

If you're changing the oil, might want to consider replacing the OEM drain plug a magnetic drain plug or a fumoto valve. At the very least, make sure you have a second OEM drain plug just in case; these suckers can easily get ruined (especially if it was overtorqued at your last oil change, which unfortunately is an all too common occurrence), it's happened many times on these boards. I put in a fumoto; changing the oil is ridiculously easy with it, but that was before the magnetic drain plugs became available.......

Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
... and one of the things it says in the manual is to replace the drain plug (not reuse it). I believe this is because of the crush washer.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Yeah, alot of people reuse it (including many dealers) and get away with it, but I don't like the plug to begin with--easily stripped, and easy to cross thread.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
MINIng
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rwkeating
... and one of the things it says in the manual is to replace the drain plug (not reuse it). I believe this is because of the crush washer.
Originally Posted by cct1
Yeah, alot of people reuse it (including many dealers) and get away with it, but I don't like the plug to begin with--easily stripped, and easy to cross thread.
That is so bogus. Now I got to spend some more money (30 bones) on this oil change. Now the question remains: Fumoto easy drain or Magnetic plug?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 PM
sumint
3rd Gear
That is so bogus. Now I got to spend some more money (30 bones) on this oil change. Now the question remains: Fumoto easy drain or Magnetic plug?
The Fumoto is a clever idea, but on a car that sits as low as the MINI, I would question, putting something that extends lower than a stock drain bolt (it could bottom out on the pavement and now you have all the oil leaking out of the oil pan).

I ordered a magnetic plug from these guys
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/minicooper.php
They have great customer service and make the strongest magnets out there. Plus when you look at the web page you will see all the plugs come with a lifetime rubber ring instead of the crush washer style. If you want the one that uses a crush washer just contact
Richard Jodoin
rjodoin@carolina.rr.com
cell:704-320-0700
www.drainplugmagnets.com

and ask for the "new" style plug that uses the crush washer and tell him I sent you.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Even a little cheaper than getting a magnetic drain plug, just get a small rare earth magnet, stick it on the bottom of the plug, and Wah-Lah same thing for 10 cents. A new crush washer comes with a new filter as well, torque it properly, and forget the Fumoto.
HAS THIS TURNED INTO AN OIL THREAD .

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sumint
The Fumoto is a clever idea, but on a car that sits as low as the MINI, I would question, putting something that extends lower than a stock drain bolt (it could bottom out on the pavement and now you have all the oil leaking out of the oil pan).

I ordered a magnetic plug from these guys
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/minicooper.php
They have great customer service and make the strongest magnets out there. Plus when you look at the web page you will see all the plugs come with a lifetime rubber ring instead of the crush washer style. If you want the one that uses a crush washer just contact
Richard Jodoin
rjodoin@carolina.rr.com
cell:704-320-0700
www.drainplugmagnets.com

and ask for the "new" style plug that uses the crush washer and tell him I sent you.

The fumoto doesn't extend any lower than the top of the regular drain plug. The plug isn't on the bottom of the oil pan, it comes out from the side. The fumoto isn't any lower than the oil pan itself, so there are no issues with it being too low. My car is LOW for the track, never had an issue with it. Flip the switch, drain, flip the switch, fill, done. Don't even need to lift the car.

There are two types of fumoto's--one with an extension, one with out. I bought the one with the extension, so I can put a small hose on the end and drain with no mess. Downside is if I ever need to do anything to the fan, the fumoto will have to come off--it extends to just the edge of the fan. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the regular fumoto without the extension--I end up using an oil pan instead of the hose most of the time anyway, and if you use an oil pan, you don't need it.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:29 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Maugre
Even a little cheaper than getting a magnetic drain plug, just get a small rare earth magnet, stick it on the bottom of the plug, and Wah-Lah same thing for 10 cents. A new crush washer comes with a new filter as well, torque it properly, and forget the Fumoto.
HAS THIS TURNED INTO AN OIL THREAD .

But you never have to replace the fumoto....

Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
My drain plug is right on the bottom of the pan, and I never have to replace my plug either. A Fumoto hanging lower would be a problem.
I think we might be discussing different model years.

Quick Reply: What has the Bentley manual done for you?