General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Dane + Mini

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011 | 03:13 PM
kittykatz
|
1st Gear
Great Dane + Mini

I have a 135 lb Great Dane. And a 2006 MCS coupe. Wasn't planning on getting a dog at all when I bought the car, much less a Dane. But it works out great, as it turns out she actually not only loves the car, but is obsessed with it. My building has street parking, so we walk by the car several times a day, and Ella insists on stopping every time to walk around the car, sniffing it as if she wants to make sure no one else has touched "her" car. It's pretty hilarious - and even cuter, she actually recognizes Minis in general, and although she only sniffs over mine, she does insist on checking out the others.

Anyway - the problem is that I've been carting her around for years with the backseats folded down, and her bed thrown over them, which takes up the whole back of the car. Works great, she is comfortable, and it's a good set up. Except that I don't have a way to secure her in the car, and I cannot find ANY seat belt, harness, barrier, etc, that is designed for a dog that big and a car that small. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't like her riding around loose, but can't find a better option. I have found harnesses that would work if she could sit on the actual seat and be belted in, but she is just too big to be comfortable on the seat for anything but a very short ride.

Old 07-18-2011 | 03:24 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
For my last dog I almost got a great dane. There was the cutest puppy one at the dog pound. However, sanity prevailed and I got a german shepherd instead - which is still really big.

Like you I put down the back seats and she lies back there. I have a harness that goes around her and I tie that to the seat latch or on of the ties downs in the boot area. It's not the best solution but it's the best one I've found.

Old 07-18-2011 | 04:18 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
What were you thinking? A Jack Russell Terrorist would be a good fit in a MINI.

You might try the Great Dane (or other Super Size dog) forums to find out how others with small cars might have resolved the livestock transportation problem.

Our two medium-large dogs ride in separate crates in a Pilot, but I don't think Ella would enjoy riding in her crate on top of the MINI.

Old 07-18-2011 | 04:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
What were you thinking? A Jack Russell Terrorist would be a good fit in a MINI.
LoL JR terrorist is pretty accurate. My other dog that rides in the car is a JRT. He rides in a crate though - too hyper and too much white fur to be loose.

Old 07-18-2011 | 04:39 PM
skyhawk940
1st Gear
Must have photos!!!!!

Old 07-18-2011 | 04:54 PM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Yeah, photos are a good idea. I need a GD/MINI photo for my "odd couples" album.

Motor Mouth: We bought our '06 MINI used and found some short white JRT-like hairs in the boot when we vacuumed.

Old 07-18-2011 | 04:55 PM
1ncmini
2nd Gear
http://www.minicarparts.net/Parts/PET21.cfm

Have you seen something like this? I think you are limited on your options for a great dane.

Old 07-18-2011 | 05:44 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Show us pic

Old 07-18-2011 | 05:48 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
This pic is about 3 months old and the GSD is almost 3x bigger now.

Old 07-18-2011 | 06:37 PM
kittykatz
|
1st Gear
The problem with a Jack Russell Terrorist (the only way I will refer to them) is that I would have to live with it the hours that it was not in the MINI!

That zipline might just work, thanks so much for the link, 1ncmini! I had thought that was a good solution, but the one I found didn't go up to her weight. This one might be perfect. Dumb question - I assume that those "oh ****" handles are safe for that sort of use and won't just pop off in a wreck?

I have to work on getting some better pics of Ella in the car, but I'll post what I have. She is really quite hilarious with the MINI and needs to be in an ad for it - she even locked me out of it once because she didn't want to go to daycare.

Old 07-18-2011 | 07:13 PM
1ncmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kittykatz
I assume that those "oh ****" handles are safe for that sort of use and won't just pop off in a wreck?
That's a good question, but this is my theory.... I have a 7lb Papillon (a far cry from your beast ) that has a car seat that is held in with a seat belt and an attachment for her harness. If we are in a minor accident I think she would be safe, but a major wreck I think it's inevitable that she wouldn't be protected. I kind of feel the same way about any type of harness/restraint system for a pet.

Old 07-18-2011 | 07:26 PM
tippykayak
5th Gear
I think a crash-tested harness clipped to one of the metal cargo restraints or carseat clips is probably the best bet. Unfortunately, cars are not designed with dog safety in mind. The absolute safest compromise you can make is to harness your dog and attach that harness with a relatively short piece of webbing (as short as you can make it without making the dog uncomfortable) to a relatively strong anchor point. Handles wouldn't cut it, in my book.

Old 07-18-2011 | 07:52 PM
kittykatz
|
1st Gear
Ella in the Mini pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/laramka...eat=directlink

I promise I'll get some better ones, I know I took some cute shots of her in the driver's seat.

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:00 PM
kittykatz
|
1st Gear
PS, thanks for all of the suggestions - I agree that with such a big dog and small car I'm probably not going to find a perfect solution, but I'd settle for "safer." Realistically, if we're in a terrible crash, probably neither of us are going to come out unharmed, but leaving her loose I feel like is just too dangerous for her, and for me - I don't need a 135 lb projectile aimed at my head! Plus, I ADORE this dog and would probably never get over her getting killed or seriously injured in a wreck. She's a total character - I have been saying for months that I need to take her to the dealership, because I know she would freak out over the MINI abundance.

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:01 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Awesome looking Great Dane! :-)

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:09 PM
kittykatz
|
1st Gear
Thanks! I adore her. She's a rescue - actually, she was supposed to be my first foster dog for the MidAtlantic Great Dane Rescue League. I think it took about 24 hours for me to foster-fail, I love her. She was a year old when I got her, and I was her 5th home. She has terrible separation anxiety as a result, but for whatever reason, she doesn't think that I will abandon the car, so as long as I leave the MINI home when I go out of town, she is totally fine and assumes that I'm coming home.

Edited to add: They are the best dogs EVER! They're not for everyone, but if you're thinking of one and hesitating because they are not an ideal size to fit in your car, please give it another thought! I grew up with this breed and adore them. They are fabulous apartment dogs and great with kids - Ella lives very happily in a 750' apt (mostly sleeping on the couch) and is the only dog I've ever known who not only tolerates children, but LOVES them. She will literally try to drag me down the block if she sees a small child, because she wants to visit them. They're definitely not for everyone, but I wouldn't want any other breed. And actually the MINI is a plus, because it prevents me from getting a second one :-)

Last edited by kittykatz; 07-18-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: had more to say :-)
Old 07-19-2011 | 06:37 AM
quickTWITCH
1st Gear
I'm surprised you can fit a Great Dane in a MINI. They are great dogs and love affection. They are definitely MINI-horses lol. I bet you get some looks when driving Ella around in the MCS, with expressions like "you can fit that, in there?!"

My girlfriend is the owner and head-trainer of a dog training business and every time I go with her to a class, who have a Great Dane, they are always friendly, maybe a little bull-headed, but just awesome dogs.

Old 07-27-2011 | 05:00 PM
yellowmininy
2nd Gear
I had a Great Dane and a Renault Lecar, so I'm sure you'll do fine with the Mini. I do understand your need to secure the dog in the car, since my dog once tried to jump out the window, while we were driving over a bridge. (She was probably hoping to explore the river...)

I think even if you have a harness on her with a short leash that can be fastened to the handles or secured with a seat belt you'll be safer than having a loose dog.

I have a cat named Ella who rides in the Mini, but she's a little smaller...

Old 07-27-2011 | 05:17 PM
howie289
2nd Gear
Old 07-27-2011 | 05:20 PM
Minihoho
1st Gear
I love Great Danes! I got to take care of one for a friend who had to move away for a few years and couldn't take her. She was a lovely friend.

I'm not sure what is out there to secure her in the car, but securing you would be good in the case of an accident. You'll drive through an accident better if you don't have her crashing into the front seat area. Maybe consider a net that goes just behind the front seats from floor to roof area?

Old 07-29-2011 | 05:05 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
In the picture with Ella and her little friend, do you have something in the cargo area to even out the floor under the dog bed?

I have a st bernard that'll be my co-pilot (after I'm done enjoying a new car that doesn't have dog hair everywhere!), and I'm trying to figure out the best dog setup back there.

Old 07-29-2011 | 05:11 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
i wanna see a pic of the great dane in the mini!

Old 07-29-2011 | 08:29 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
This pic is about 3 months old and the GSD is almost 3x bigger now.

Yikes, why is the juvenile GSD puppy wearing a prong collar?

Old 07-29-2011 | 08:51 PM
Madgepetto
2nd Gear
Alfred loves his Mini

We have a silver harlequin Dane, just turned a year old, his name is Alfred, mostly we call him Fred. He came home at 7 weeks in the Mini, and loves it, I have made a small platform that slips into the boot area to level it with the seats when they are down and he has no trouble fitting.He's 130 lbs now.

Also , we have a 1/2 Dane , 1/2 lab named Fiona who also enjoys a drive in the MCS, she's a great doggie.They both fit back there sometimes, no problem.

As for a way to secure them...I think the only really effective thing would be a metal screen that bolts in, not really an option.

Fred's favorite seat is the old F-86D ejection seat here in the workshop...when he was a baby he could curl up on the cushion, now he just sits there and makes sure i work hard enough to feed him !

Danes are my favorite breed, we've had the good fortune to share our home with 4 of them over the years...we call them love amplifiers.

Mad Gepetto

Old 07-29-2011 | 09:10 PM
cevans
1st Gear
I am reading this with interest as my daughter just bought a St Bernard two weeks ago. This dog is 12 weeks old and seems to outgrow his harness about once a week. Super affectionate dog and really just likes to chill out. My daughter uses a harness and attaches a leash to it and anchors the leash on the seat belt in some way. She mentioned she was ordering her rear seat delete next week as the little puppy is getting too big to sit up front with her.
I'm also looking for suggestions on the best way to secure the dog. We were thinking with a rear seat delete and a harness bar, we could maybe attach the leash to that. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Quick Reply: Great Dane + Mini