General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do: bent frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
alohanorm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do: bent frame

My wife's pristine 2004 "S" was hit by a stolen vehicle being chased by the highway patrol. Hit the RIGHT front fender, twisted it to the left where it jambed up against the curb. The frame appears to be bent, but the engine should be fine aside from the radiator which may have been punctured. Everything else is primo: interior, windows, doors, all body panels but for the front right and we only have liability insurance. The insurance company is giving us a pittance. Should I parcel it out for parts or sell it to salvage for something in the $3K range??

Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
You should be able to net more than 3k by parting out the car, for sure, if you don't mind the hassle factor. I'm assuming your wife is AOK; another MINI sacrificed for its owner. Don't get me started on the logic and risks of high speed chases...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The car that hit you should be paying, or maybe even the municipality. I would talk to a lawyer, but this is very different in a state by state basis so you really should get some local advice.

I think the mini should part out for much more too. The engine alone is probably more than 3K. The issue is space (to leave a junker) and the logistics of parting it. Again no one can tell where you live so it is hard to give advice. (Big city vs rural)

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM
alohanorm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortunately my wife is OK and I agree that I COULD get more if I parceled it out. I am not a mechanic and the thought of pulling S..T apart or letting someone do that in my garage (which is where I may end up keeping it) is not a good one. The CHP (California Highway Patrol) were the main chasing parties, and there may be litigation, but who knows how long THAT will take. This car was her baby- really- and she only wants another, so getting one decent for $5K or so may be hard.