General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eyes Windshield Shades

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011 | 05:01 PM
Dittin
|
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Time for an update!

Please note: Contrary to what we previously thought, I've been informed that there are several different shade sizes. While there have been very similar windshields across MINI's over the years, there are other factors besides the windshield that come into play which change the shape of the shade, such as support beams. Therefore, I will be needing to know which of the following types you have:

A: 2002|2003|2004|2005|2006 Hardtop
B: 2005|2006|2007|2008 Convertible
C: 2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|2012 Hardtop
D: 2008|2009|2010|2011|2012 Clubman
E: 2009|2010|2011|2012 Convertible
F: 2011|2012 Countryman

(I will be able to create shade designs in ALL of the different types)

I've updated my design examples and request list site to reflect what I know about each MINI's shade but some info about your requests is still missing. Please check to make sure that it's not only there but that it is accurate.

I am getting close to having a prototype made to show you guys. I think I may have found my favorite shade to use, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It should be here sometime by the end of next week. I will immediately be getting the shade printed up (double-sided) and will be testing it out in my MINI to check the fit and look of the shade. Pics will be posted as soon as I have them, but for now we have to be patient. The suspense!!!

Old 08-22-2011 | 06:21 PM
user 837978240
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to it! Thanks for putting this together!

Old 08-22-2011 | 06:50 PM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
hey dittin,

i changed the order of my '12 MCS to midnight black, so could you change my eyelids to midnight black with silver irises. same nervous expression.

thanks.

Old 08-22-2011 | 06:57 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
OK, upon checking with the more artistic "other half", I would like to get one for Seamus that is BRG with lime green Irises. We would like a happy, bit cheeky Lightning McQueen look. Something like this:

http://www.takefiveaday.com/wp-conte...m-stickers.jpg

Old 08-22-2011 | 07:51 PM
darthhen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dittin
Time for an update!

Please note: Contrary to what we previously thought, I've been informed that there are several different shade sizes. While there have been very similar windshields across MINI's over the years, there are other factors besides the windshield that come into play which change the shape of the shade, such as support beams. Therefore, I will be needing to know which of the following types you have:

A: 2002|2003|2004|2005|2006 Hardtop
B: 2005|2006|2007|2008 Convertible
C: 2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|2012 Hardtop
D: 2008|2009|2010|2011|2012 Clubman
E: 2009|2010|2011|2012 Convertible
F: 2011|2012 Countryman

(I will be able to create shade designs in ALL of the different types)

I've updated my design examples and request list site to reflect what I know about each MINI's shade but some info about your requests is still missing. Please check to make sure that it's not only there but that it is accurate.

I am getting close to having a prototype made to show you guys. I think I may have found my favorite shade to use, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. It should be here sometime by the end of next week. I will immediately be getting the shade printed up (double-sided) and will be testing it out in my MINI to check the fit and look of the shade. Pics will be posted as soon as I have them, but for now we have to be patient. The suspense!!!
Dittin, I have a Clubman....so my sleepy eyes is easy since there's only 1 choice.

Old 08-23-2011 | 04:54 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Dittin,
Thinking about at all the option combinations for expression and color choices that people are requesting prompted me to take another look at your MINI Eyes site. I see that you've added another option for shade type to address the different sizes for different MINI models and years.

This led me to wonder how you are managing to keep up with all the requests and converting all the posts into entries on the tracking page. It must be driving you nuts. That led me to wondering further about how you are planning to handle converting all these choices into production. Are you going to organize one large order (or maybe several batches)? Are you going to turn this into an ongoing endeavor with an website that allows people to pick options for shade size, expression and color combinations for lids and irises with an optional second expression/color combination for double sided shades if you can offer that option?

It seems like you'd want to do something like that so that you can put the responsibility of getting the specifications correct more on the customer placing the order. For example, I still haven't yet decided if I am going to go with red irises to try to match my roof or gray or blue eyes since that seems more realistic for eye color. Plus, when the time comes to order, there may be an expression I like better than any of the current choices.

Also, have you thought about providing a way for non-NAM members to order, or expanding to more shade sizes so that you can provide choices for other makes and models? It would be great for us for this to stay a MINI-only thing, but I think you're on to something here, and it would be much better for you to expand to a larger market.

Old 08-23-2011 | 10:11 AM
Dittin
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO
Dittin,
Thinking about at all the option combinations for expression and color choices that people are requesting prompted me to take another look at your MINI Eyes site. I see that you've added another option for shade type to address the different sizes for different MINI models and years.

This led me to wonder how you are managing to keep up with all the requests and converting all the posts into entries on the tracking page. It must be driving you nuts. That led me to wondering further about how you are planning to handle converting all these choices into production. Are you going to organize one large order (or maybe several batches)? Are you going to turn this into an ongoing endeavor with an website that allows people to pick options for shade size, expression and color combinations for lids and irises with an optional second expression/color combination for double sided shades if you can offer that option?

It seems like you'd want to do something like that so that you can put the responsibility of getting the specifications correct more on the customer placing the order. For example, I still haven't yet decided if I am going to go with red irises to try to match my roof or gray or blue eyes since that seems more realistic for eye color. Plus, when the time comes to order, there may be an expression I like better than any of the current choices.

Also, have you thought about providing a way for non-NAM members to order, or expanding to more shade sizes so that you can provide choices for other makes and models? It would be great for us for this to stay a MINI-only thing, but I think you're on to something here, and it would be much better for you to expand to a larger market.
You're right in thinking that this is quite a lot to handle as far as keeping track of orders. Here's a little insight into how I plan to handle the orders when it gets to that time:

I am going to be receiving a prototype shade next week that I'll be getting printed individually (double-sided to test for that too). I'll then be putting it to the test by folding it up and unfolding it over and over to make sure it can handle doing that. Then, it will sit in the car in the hot Colorado sun for some time to make sure we aren't going to be getting any bubbling or wrinkling. I'll be taking photos of the shade, including close-ups, to give you guys a good idea what they look like. It should be noted that these are NOT the OEM shades, but a very close match to them. If I go with these particular ones, we will also be getting a lifetime warranty on them which is not something available on other shades I've looked at. They are really standing behind their product.

The first order is going to be in bulk. This will mainly include those listed on my website who have put in an order for the shades, though there will likely be a limited pre-order time for them during which I will have to collect payment from each person who wants to get one in the first batch. After that, we can choose to do another sign up list for another bulk order or the shades can be sold individually afterwards, though the bulk rate on them will no longer be applicable and they will cost a little more. The reason we are doing a sign up list is to try to get the best price we can. Shades are expensive and so is the custom printing and I'm doing what I can to make them as affordable as I can get them.

Of course, I'll be posting when I know more, but it's all a waiting game when things need to be custom created and then shipped. I'm just as excited to get mine as you guys are, but I want to take the time to make sure these are going to be of good quality before we get ahead of ourselves.

I'm still working on some of your designs and updating others who have changed their minds a little. You can change your mind all the way up until the order is placed, but after that, your design will be final. I'll be gathering your design and car info one last time when payments are made so don't worry too much about choosing your perfect design just yet. This is just so you have an idea of what it is going to look like and so that I have a good idea of how many people are interested in doing this. I do realize that not everyone in the list will go through with getting a shade. I also realize that pricing will be the deciding factor for many of you.

For non-NAM members, shades are available to them as well and I have put my email address on the website so that they can get on the list that way. Everything will be a little more official when I have the shade prototype finalized and will have put an ordering form up the website as well. Again, I don't want to get ahead of myself here and take orders for a product that I haven't even yet seen.

I'm not sure if I will be offering these shades to non-MINI cars yet... I also like the idea that MINI's are the ones with so much personality and deserve to have eyes. I am a bit biased though.

Old 08-23-2011 | 10:47 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Dittin, thanks for sharing your thoughts and for doing all this hard design and planning work. This will be a very unique and special product.

Old 08-23-2011 | 12:17 PM
Rayanmx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll take one too once you have it all figured out!

Thank you for such great efforts!

P.S.- I stumbled on a set of eyes made of el-cheap-o cardboard on a flea market the other day (too big for minis) and I thought it was a neat idea to have on our little cars, and now I found this thread! It's great to see that soon we will have ours!!

Old 08-23-2011 | 06:39 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
the joker eyes are sweet!!

Old 08-23-2011 | 08:54 PM
WOODSTOCK
1st Gear
We are in!
I'd like one for:
2005 Liquid Yellow Cabrio (LY shades)
Green Iris
Girly style

and one for:
2006 Chili Red/White Coupe (Red shades)
Blue Iris
Sleepy style

We also have a White/Black Countryman and depending on price would be interested in:
2011 Countryman - black shade (?)
Blue Iris
Surprised

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2011 | 05:44 PM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
dittin,

thanks for making the change. it looks great. i'll probably end up going a shade lighter on the eyelids so it they stand out a bit more.

one request. if you get a chance, can you do a menacing squint? almost like the right eye on "the rock", but for both eyes.

thanks again.

Old 08-25-2011 | 11:26 AM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you do black lids, red eyebrows, blue-green irises, "The Rock", type C for me?

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2011 | 12:05 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
Can you do black lids, red eyebrows, blue-green irises, "The Rock", type C for me?

Thanks!
Hey... maybe that's the solution to my dilemma for what to do for color. I originally asked for red irises to go with my JCW's red roof, but I don't really like the red irises. Maybe I need to go with red eyebrows -- people with red hair typically have red eyebrows too, so maybe that will work for my shade colors.

Old 08-25-2011 | 04:53 PM
Dittin
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
Expression: double sided & I would be for sure be interested in angry and if you had "snooty/snobby" eyes with one eye using a monocle, I could use that whenever I intentionally parked in the middle of a group of high end luxury cars!!
Monocle MINI is very sophisticated.
Name:  Monocle_LWBlue.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  11.8 KB
This one was so much fun to do!

Old 08-25-2011 | 05:03 PM
minimike21
5th Gear

oh man i might have to change mine to that one... chili red though... that would fit Dr. Watson's name more....

Old 08-25-2011 | 07:30 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Would like Eyelid Color Silver, Iris Color Horizon Blue, expression Sleepy.

Did I say 2011 Clubman?

Thanks.

Last edited by unibus_driver; 08-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2011 | 07:43 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear

Simply Brilliant!!!

Looks great! Also looks like you caught that I was on your list twice. Thanks for doing this and holler if/when you need pre-payment.

Old 08-25-2011 | 07:43 PM
Dittin
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimike21
oh man i might have to change mine to that one... chili red though... that would fit Dr. Watson's name more....
Here's a Monocle MINI in Chili Red, also quite sophisticated:
Name:  Monocle_CRBlue.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  11.8 KB

Old 08-25-2011 | 07:46 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Here's a Monocle MINI in Chili Red, also quite sophisticated:
yessss i love it!!! how did i not think of this... it is perfect!!

Old 08-26-2011 | 11:14 AM
Minian
5th Gear
You're right in thinking that this is quite a lot to handle as far as keeping track of orders. Here's a little insight into how I plan to handle the orders when it gets to that time:...

...I'm not sure if I will be offering these shades to non-MINI cars yet... I also like the idea that MINI's are the ones with so much personality and deserve to have eyes. I am a bit biased though.
I love your last paragraph!! Also it may be easier on you to set up a PayPal Account, if you don't mind the minimal service fee.

Old 08-26-2011 | 11:19 AM
Minian
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minimike21
Plus 1 (Dark Silver)
If this keeps up I'll have to buy two double sided screens.

Old 08-26-2011 | 02:04 PM
OhHerro
1st Gear
Oh man, the monocle looks amazing!

How about "Disapproving?"

http://cheezburger.com/View/5016156672

It may be a bit too similar to LQ...

Old 08-26-2011 | 03:26 PM
LaurenMini
2nd Gear
Dittin, I'd like to change the angry side of my shade to sleepy. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2011 | 03:51 PM
Dittin
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OhHerro
Oh man, the monocle looks amazing!

How about "Disapproving?"

http://cheezburger.com/View/5016156672

It may be a bit too similar to LQ...
Yeah, the disapproving face looks a lot like a few of the angry ones. It's tough to express all emotions with the eyes alone. Some require a mouth to get the point across but I am doing what I can.

Quick Reply: Eyes Windshield Shades