General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy your MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm from Britain, and I liked small cars when I was there. When I got to the US I found there were no small cars, the best you could get was a Honda Civic, which is too big for my tastes. So when I heard that BMW was reviving the MINI I was interested. It took us a while (as the old Civic refused to die) but eventually we ordered an 04 JustaCooper. Then we found out that they were really fun to drive, we were arguing over who would get to drive the MINI. So we got the 05 R53 to settle the arguments.

When the R56 came out we were interested as we always though the MINI needed a 6 speed, so we upgraded JustaCoopers with an 07. After that we found the control feel between the cars was much too different, so we swapped the R53 for an 08 R56 S.

So far nothing has prompted us to want to upgrade from the current 2. Maybe when the extended warranty runs out on the 07 in 2014.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
autoXmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had just started to get into autocrossing and track days when my mustang got totaled so I was looking to get something suited for that. I didn't know much about MINI's at the time but I saw one sitting at a dealership I liked. I test drove it and loved it. Never thought after having four mustangs I would end up with a MINI.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
reddbettie
1st Gear
My dad drives a MINI and I never loved it. I thought it was goofy looking and too little.

Last year my car's fuel pump went up and my trusted mechanic was behind on work and couldn't get to my car for a week. My dad was nice enough to let me borrow his car so I could get to work every day.

I fell in love! Everything I thought I didn't like about the car suddenly became a reason to love it. Yes it's goofy looking! Yes it's tiny! It turns heads and it fits in the smallest city parking spaces. Before I knew it, I was pulling into a MINI dealer lot one day to test drive a new one.

My dad has an '02 MC and the 2nd gen blew me away. I knew I was in no place to buy a new car but I was still building my perfect MINI online weekly and scouring the internet to find a great deal on a used one.

Time passed and I watched the prices of MINI's creep up and up and up and finally came to the conclusion that I just couldn't afford one now. I started shopping around for other, cheaper cars. New and used. I test drove a few. I liked some. But I knew I was settling.

And then I got a raise! I crunched the numbers and couldn't believe it. I think I reworked my budget 50 times to makes sure that yes, I can afford a MINI. I can even afford to take proper care of one!

I found my perfect MC in Virginia with even more options than I could have asked for. The price didn't hurt either. How could I not buy her?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cary Cooper
...Couldn't stand the "Pious" or any of it's competitors' derivatives (horrid looking vehicles one and all)...
First time I've heard that term, hilarious!

Unfortunately, I DO have to fill mine every four days (it's a first gen). But so far, the satisfaction of driving something I like is winning over the inconvenience. I get two hundred more miles per tank in my VW than the Cooper. But it's two hundred more of wrestling with a heavy steering wheel, and handling of a shopping cart.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Yes those hybrid people are pious and short sighted. What do they do with the batteries after they go and how much of an expense? I rented an Altima Hybrid a couple of years ago and was told that it has to be run on premium. If I am going to do that it's going to be a car that is fun to drive. Hello MINI!!!!! Let's see 30 mpg in an Altima or 30 mpg in a Mini. that's a no brainer.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I've seen more than one "Pious" driver smoking in her car...
As the Hybrids are proven not to be the most economical choice (I'm a previous Hybrid owner), the ecological aspect gets played up. For some reason I find a Hybrid owner who smokes fairly ironic.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Forgetting one thing. they also flick their butts out the window. What pigs!!!! How bout we follow them home and dump our garbage on their door steps.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That drives me up a wall. They do it in the summer time as well and constantly start the medians on fire around here which jams up the freeways. I think we should also light up a bag of poop on their doorstep as well. LOL

Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
oh yes and while they are smoking they are on the cell phone driving with their elbows or knees. Just imagine how they would put the fire out (poop in a bag lit on fire) . a pretty sight (LMAO)

Last edited by mrluckypa; 08-29-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: change
Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 PM
SWAgoat
2nd Gear
Don't forget that those hybrids do not get their advertised MPG while the hybrid owners insist on driving like maniacs on the highway. I'm sorry but that hybrid is getting the same MPG as my MINI at 80 mph!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM
CausticOne
1st Gear
Because according to my husband - I can't afford speed AND luxury.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:41 PM
curtab7
1st Gear
I was car shopping and thought the MINIs just looked cool. I decided to test drive one, and I could not stop thinking about how much fun it was to drive! I had never had a fun car before, just always bought something that could get me from point A to point B. Within a week, I ordered a '09MCS! I absoultely loved that car. After a year and a half, I was going through some financial difficulties and had to trade it off.

Fast forward to today. I have everything straightened out and really want a MINI again. I actually drove a Countryman today. I liked the extra room, but I still like the look of the Coopers better. The only thing is, I just moved to Colorado last month, and I'm a little concerned about having a MINI here during the winters. I'll have to start a new thread and get some opinions from Colorao MINI owners on the winters here!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curtab7
I was car shopping and thought the MINIs just looked cool. I decided to test drive one, and I could not stop thinking about how much fun it was to drive! I had never had a fun car before, just always bought something that could get me from point A to point B. Within a week, I ordered a '09MCS! I absoultely loved that car. After a year and a half, I was going through some financial difficulties and had to trade it off.

Fast forward to today. I have everything straightened out and really want a MINI again. I actually drove a Countryman today. I liked the extra room, but I still like the look of the Coopers better. The only thing is, I just moved to Colorado last month, and I'm a little concerned about having a MINI here during the winters. I'll have to start a new thread and get some opinions from Colorao MINI owners on the winters here!
You won't have any problem at all. With good all weather tread on them they will go through snow no problem. As well get the cold weather package and your set to go. You backside will be nice and warm and your mirrors not fogged. I think it's a fine car for that type weather.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
I have always loved muscle cars and small sporty cars. Years ago I had a '74 MG Midget as a daily driver and a '59 Vette for my sunny day car. Then twin boys came along and the Midget and Vette went by the way of more practical "Family" cars.

Fast forward a few years and I picked up my '36 Chevy Streetrod (project). Over a lot of years I completely dismantled the '36 and did a complete frame-off build. All the while I still driving a "Family" car as my daily transportation.

Fast forward many more years to two years ago; My sons are now off to college. One son has a car but the other doesn't, but needs one for work over breaks and summers. Since he can't afford much, I talk the wife into selling him my '98 Buick Regal cheap (120K on it) since it was in good shape and was dependable. I would then get a "new to me" daily driver.

WELL...four cars instantly came to mind for my "new to me" "non-family" daily driver;
another MG Midget, a Mazda Miata, a Chrysler Crossfire and a MINI "S".

All handle great, would be fun to drive and unlike my '36 Chevy, be good on gas, but I also needed some practicality so;
MG Midget, Crossfire & Miata -- All had some major issues:
They are rear wheel drive, an issue with upstate NY snow.
None have back seats for my dogs, a border Collie and a Boxer.
None can carry much of anything, trunks like glove boxes.

The MINI:
Loved them since they were reintroduced in '02, love the retro style.
Front wheel drive, decent in snow
Hatch back, can carry stuff and my dogs
Love the supercharger
FUN to drive
So I started my search for the right MINI for me and a year and a half ago I purchased my '02 Liquid Yellow MCS from an elderly gentleman down in Virginia and have been enjoying my drive to and from work ever since.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM
KJs Toy
1st Gear
Cost of Gas

With the rising cost of gas, I went looking for a small car with good gas mileage. Test drove Toyotas, Hondas, Scions , Chevys, and was about to give up when I test drove a "S". I knew I would get bored quickly with the other small cars, so I bit the bullet, and with my wifes suggestion, bought a JCW. FUN POWERFUL CAR. Wish I test drove one earlier Now I have two cars to play with and modify , My JCW and my C6....

Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
After getting laid off twice I had to let go of my 04 Honda Accord. After 3 years in my job now, I decided it was time to get a car. I didn't know what to get...I was looking into a Civic Si or a FiT...but they were everywhere. Then I saw a MINI at work and I wanted one. 1 month later I saw this CPO and got it. Didn't know the difference between R53 and R56 but here I am and I'm loving it.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:41 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 312 Likes on 236 Posts
This really is a most entertaining thread.

I salute all you mad buggers, and am proud to be among you!

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Oh... another thing that just stole my heart about the Mini... Quirky little "James Bond" feature I discovered when test driving that was absolutely delightful... I had test driven one just past twilight so I could see how efficient the Xenon headlights were. There was a freeway nearby the dealership directed me to so I could also see how it performed at highway speed and accelerations from the on ramp. Once on the freeway, a little Porsche Boxter S convertible came screaming down the road and got right on my tail. I didn't particularly care, but because of his headlights I noticed how dirty the Mini's windshield was (dirty windshields drive me nuts), so I hit the wipers to clean it off. As expected, a wiper fluid mist sprayed the front windshield to clean it, but to my utter amazement, another astonishing blast shot out from the front of the car...l thought the wiper fluid from the front was a leak (of course, the dealer later said it's for the headlights and was normal; that it only did so when the headlights are on)... but the result was astoundingly lovely. The Boxter had the top down.. that amazing cloud from the headlights aerodynamically rolled past the side of the Mini and straight over the Boxter, it's windshield, and clearly into it's cabin... let me tell you he backed off IMMEDIATELY. I discovered then the Mini had, in addition to DSC, DTC, ABS, EBD, and CBC, another standard safety feature what I now term on my Mini, "ATS"... the "Anti-Tailgate System". Comes in quite handy now for just that reason... tailgaiting knuckleheads :-)

Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Absolutely wonderful!!!! So no more tapping the brake pedal???? Can we say we gary coopered them??????

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
<"Can we say we gary coopered them??????" >

Well, for Cary, my MINI, I'd have to say, "Cary Coopered" him, but as my MINI's named after Gary Cooper anyway, (being dashing, but dangerous), "Gary Coopered" is equally fitting . Brakes now used just what they're meant for, slowing down and stopping. ATS for unsuspecting (and deserving) tailgaters.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
After my 1992 Honda Prelude si, 180K, was starting to have little problems here and there, I decided to test drive some cars that I had eyeballed. On my list was Mini Cooper (Hardtop S & Countryman), Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camaro and perhaps the Audi A3.

I first test drove the Countryman which was nice but didn't feel sporty enough. Right after that, it was time for the Cooper s hardtop. Let me just say that I drove a few cars in the last 20 years of me driving (VW's, Renault, Ford Mustang, Audi, Honda) but I have never been as excited about a car after I drove the Cooper S.

I didn't need to test drive the Challenger, Camaro or Audi anymore. Didn't even bother. My search was done. I just had to have that car, no matter what.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
I do not have the car yet, it is somewhere in the MINI ordering hell, but because I have pulled the trigger, I think I can contribute to this post.

I spent many of my formative years the proud owner of a few classic VW Beetles, mainly because in Florida, where those cheap rust buckets. My pride was a 1970 Super Beetle with FACTORY AC!!! (No really, and it still worked).

I joined the military, got a car that was more reliable, and that I could afford... I sold my spirit and acquired a used 1990 Hyundai Scoop. That car drove me to work, drove me back to Florida after I was discharged (Disabled by the Air Force), drove me back to the DC area when it became clear that Florida SUCKED for a 23 year old looking for work...

I was looking to get back into my love in life... and put myself on the waiting list for the new fangled New Beetle. By the time my car came up, I had a 1999 Yellow New Beetle... My doctor told me to get a stick, that it would help my disability, and he was right (While active duty, I had an accident that makes my left leg real weak)...

Here were things went wrong... I moved to the burbs... and because of my disability owning a stick and an hour and a half plus commute started to become to hard, so I abandoned my Beetle (10 years) and got a car that better fits my stage in life, a 2008 Nissan Altima.... Love the car, it is a great car, but it is NOT fun to drive, and I missed the zoom of a my beetle. I live now in the mountains of West Virginia, and the Altima is about as fun in the hills to drive as a shopping cart.

So I started looking for something that was like my Beetle. I even looked at the Beetle... but after being in my fully loaded Altima, the new Beetle felt a wee bit "Basic"...

We started looking for a new car, and we found NOTHING that captured the fun we had in the beetle... that is until we test drove the MINI...

SOLD!

We ordered a 2012 Mini Copper Convert S with almost everything... We cannot wait to get it... in fact the wait is killing us. Yes it is an Automatic, and Yes I know that is almost a crime in a Mini, but I do not have a choose.. given that my disability makes my left leg real weak... I hope I can get a pass.

Anyway, that is what got me to this forum.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Tikigod
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bubble and Squeak
a 2008 Nissan Altima.... Love the car, it is a great car, but it is NOT fun to drive, and I missed the zoom of a my beetle. I live now in the mountains of West Virginia, and the Altima is about as fun in the hills to drive as a shopping cart.
I know that feeling well - we have a 2008 Altima (2.5 SL) - its a fantastic car - but its a bore to drive in the mountains out here. Just like you - one test drive in a Cooper and decision made

Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
ChristiB
Neutral
I love small cars, and wanted one when they first went on sale in the US. Husband refused, we compromised on a Mustang Convertible. 6 years later it was time for a new car and I had worn DH down. He had to test drive the (used) one I wanted because I couldn't drive a stick yet. We went home with a mini, 2 days later I had learned enough to get to work. Every day I go into the garage and look at Otto and smile! (even if DH pretends to hate him)

Old 09-07-2011, 08:00 AM
motor12
3rd Gear
I like QUIRKY stuff and my MINI fit the bill...

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your MINI?