General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
macadoo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

Can anyone recommend and extending WARRANTY company?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you getting it after purchase of a car or concurrently?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was under the impression that any 3rd party warranty was as scam.
Whatever you find, read the details very carefully.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Not all are a scam. Exclusionary contracts are the best but often way expensive and hard to find. I have had decent luck with the one my dealership sells. The warranty I have is the Total Care from the company Easy Care. I have made 3 claims thus far and have had a total of about $10k in repairs done. I chose the $250 deductible as I assumed I would fix the small stuff on my own and they would pay for bigger failures. Not the best way to choose, but check their BBB rating too.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
Hi, I just purchased an 06MCSa with about 45,600K on it. I had it vetted as well as possible ( 3 shops gave it but suggested extended warranty cause they are expensive to work on) I didn't buy it from a Mini dealer.

@Yetti96 are you still satisfied with the warranty from Easy Care? I appreciate any info you can give me. Hey you are in FL too

Thank you
Tracy

Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
This http://www.continentalwarrantyinc.com/site/index.html is who I have on mine and have no issues with several claims. Just had control arm bushing covered under warranty. I even get to chose where I go. I went to http://www.rdzmotorsports.net/ and they upgraded the bushing to Powerflex at no additional cost.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
I think I had a Continental extended on my 05Beetle I just turned in for the Mini. I still had another year and some to go on it, was going to call to refund the balance on it. I'll have to check that out, I think they were based in Jacksonville, Fl. at least the office mine came out of. I need to be able to go to my local shop I have been dealing with for 15 years, they speak Mini. They actually gave me a "go for it" when they checked it out saying they thought the tranny was quite smooth and did I know about the possible power steering stuff.

Thanks
Tracy

Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yetti96
I have made 3 claims thus far and have had a total of about $10k in repairs done.
Wow, will you share what had to be done to be $10k worth?

Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not all are a scam. Exclusionary contracts are the best but often way expensive and hard to find. I have had decent luck with the one my dealership sells. The warranty I have is the Total Care from the company Easy Care. I have made 3 claims thus far and have had a total of about $10k in repairs done. I chose the $250 deductible as I assumed I would fix the small stuff on my own and they would pay for bigger failures. Not the best way to choose, but check their BBB rating too.
I also have the EasyCare - TotalCare warranty, already have 1 claim for $1500 which is a little over half of what I paid for the coverage.

I think it's well worth it, especially on a Mini where even a small issue can cost big time money.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 AM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Bought mine used at dodge, they sold me a three year 'preferred' level warranty from Zurich for like $2400.

I used it yesterday to replace my motor mounts and valve cover gasket. $200 deductible sucks, but it saved me $500 in parts/labor. They didn't give the shop any hassle and they covered the $125/hr labor rate.

$1900 left to recoup...

Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 AM
bkosh84
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the warranty from Easy Care (TotalCare Package) when I bought my 08 MCC two weeks ago. To the people who bought them, did you go to a Mini Dealership to get things taken care of or a independent shop? Just wondering, they told me Easy Care is pretty reputable and I can go to almost any shop I want (including a Mini Dealer).

Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread.
Off the top of my head I had replaced:
  • Rear struts and strut mounts (sagging rear end and rough over bumps)
  • Rear glass (defroster was inconsistent)
  • Radiator fan (low speed was out)
  • New tranny (5 speed Midlands took a dump at 50k miles)
  • New radio (weird scratchiness on certain channels)
  • Rear brake caliper (left rear was dragging, blued the rotor...they paid for new caliper and pads but not the rotor (I did replace it though))
  • New Brake Reservoir (when they pressurized the system to bleed the brakes it blew the 9 year old plastic apart)

That's all I can thing of for now.

I had a new coolant tank (known to go bad) and new power steering lines.

It will need a oil pan gasket (common) by next oil change, showing some weeping but yet to drop on the ground.

I get my work done at MINI because they warranty all parts and labor for 2 years, unlimited miles. Independent mechanics will take it and the local MINI shop in my area told me to come to them, but they have a 12 month warranty and MINI has treated me right (loaners, friendly, etc) Even when they didn't have to. My dealership has been awesome. I have paid for my Total Care warranty many times over ($1370 for 30 months, 30k miles...bought at 38.8k miles).

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
bkosh84
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get my work done at MINI because they warranty all parts and labor for 2 years, unlimited miles. Independent mechanics will take it and the local MINI shop in my area told me to come to them, but they have a 12 month warranty and MINI has treated me right (loaners, friendly, etc) Even when they didn't have to. My dealership has been awesome. I have paid for my Total Care warranty many times over ($1370 for 30 months, 30k miles...bought at 38.8k miles).
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 AM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
OK, Thanks for the great info.

I contacted Easy Care and they quoted me $3100 4 years with $100 deductible for "Stated Care" as my 06 MCSa has 46K on the dial. They would come to me and inspect it for a non refundable $99. included in the cost. Of course anything found in the inspection would have to be taken care of before the warranty went into effect. Reasonable for sure.

I am financed and insured by USAA and found they also have extended warrantys too. Has any one used them? I have to check it more thoroughly as they don't inspect them so I am unclear at this moment if there is say, a cooling off period before it goes into effect. I've had the car since December 24 and have basically just done some maintenance to it, oil, filters , radiator flush etc with my local Mini/BMW shop, not a dealer. Visuals are all good underneath, car "seems" to be great shape and drives quite well. Paint and exterior excellent.

Any info on USAA Extended Warranties? I can add it if I chose to my payment.

Thanks
Tracy

Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
drno
3rd Gear
the usaa warranty is not from usaa--they are the middle men. it's not expensive but when i read the contract it had so many things that they could use to deny the claim and things like having to save everything such as fluids and all parts in case they wanted to inspect them, no payment for anything related to diagnosing the problem , etc that i decided to pass on it . i suspect , however that it is most likely that all warranty companies except the ones that come directly from the manufacturer have these clauses in them

Last edited by drno; 01-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 AM
iMom2005
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drno
the usaa warranty is not from usaa--they are the middle men. it's not expensive but when i read the contract it had so many things that they could use to deny the claim and things like having to save everything such as fluids and all parts in case they wanted to inspect them, no payment for anything related to diagnosing the problem , etc that is passed on it . i suspect , however that it is most likely that all warranty companies except the ones that come directly from the manufacturer have there clauses in them
You're correct that USAA is the "middle man." My experience is that USAA is pretty choosey about products they offer their members.

Having had this warranty on a Bimmer - I was happy to purchase it for my MINI.

I never had any trouble with claims.

Last edited by iMom2005; 01-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
So, iMom2005 was there a waiting period at all? Did you get your warranty at the end of the BMW/Mini warranty or what? My car is out of warranty at 46K. I have not had a chance to get to a dealer to see if they have the service records or not. No luck getting through to AskMini yet.

So you have not encountered any problems and have had it on 2 cars. Well that helps, I have always had good luck with USAA, been with them 25years+ but never an extended warranty. I did know they were the middle man, but as I say USAA is a pretty reputable company over all.

Decisions, decisions...all info appreciated

Tracy

Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM
iMom2005
3rd Gear
I've been a full member of USAA for 28 years.

There was no waiting period. My brother even bought coverage for his car, and the warranty through USAA paid the manufacturer's warranty deductible, on a repair he had done.

Both times, I purchased before the manufacturer's warranty had lapsed, and this time around I purchased it, after having my MINI just over one month. By then, I had decided that I'd like to keep this car for a while (it's so much fun!)...I opted for the 72 month /100,000 mile - no deductible. It cost me $1,662.00.

There is more info on USAA.com under "Our Products". If you're registered online, you can even get a quote from that link.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
Wow, great, thanks for the info. My car being out of warranty and having more miles on it is about double what you paid for your warranty, it's 4 years at 12k a year. It's older more can go wrong at it's age, but to me worth the price considering like you, I really like the car and want to keep it as long as I can and of course keep it sound. Any provisions for after market add ons, say CIA and under pulley type stuff that you know of? It's supercharged and those seem to be good mods.

Appreciate it and Happy Motoring!

Tracy