General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tampadave

Got some other good news today. I was just pre-approved by USAA for a 1.75% auto loan. I also qualify for a USAA-funded rebate of $1,000 to go with the dealer's $500 discount for my special order '14 Roadster S. USAA sent me the certification letter today. I consider $1,500 off a special order with 1.75% financing a great deal.

Now help me find a ship to bring him across the Atlantic...
Definitely an awesome deal. You basically stole that auto loan. So many people never get rates that low.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using NAMotoring

Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minted-rose
Definitely an awesome deal. You basically stole that auto loan. So many people never get rates that low.

Thanks! I've been with USAA for 24 years. I guess there's some benefit to having served as an officer in the US Army.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear

Thanks! I've been with USAA for 24 years. I guess there's some benefit to having served as an officer in the US Army.
Are you officially retired?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Are you officially retired?

No. I served as a JAG from 1988-1992. Started as an O-2 (1st Lt) and left as a newly minted O-4 (Major). Army lawyers and doctors run on an accelerated promotion track. I became a Litigation Attorney for GSA, then opened my own practice in 1996. I've work a semi-retired schedule for the past couple years and will continue the same through December 31, 2017, right after my 61st birthday. I'm lazy. We're buying a house 5 minutes from the beach along the Florida Gulf Coast next summer. My lifelong goal has always been to become a beach bum. Seriously. My 98 year-old Grandmother retired at age 91 and misses work terribly. My 78 year-old father still works 50+ hours a week, but claims he'll slow down to 40 hours when he turns 80. Same gene pool, different priorities.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
No. I served as a JAG from 1988-1992. Started as an O-2 (1st Lt) and left as a newly minted O-4 (Major). Army lawyers and doctors run on an accelerated promotion track. I became a Litigation Attorney for GSA, then opened my own practice in 1996. I've work a semi-retired schedule for the past couple years and will continue the same through December 31, 2017, right after my 61st birthday. I'm lazy. We're buying a house 5 minutes from the beach along the Florida Gulf Coast next summer. My lifelong goal has always been to become a beach bum. Seriously. My 98 year-old Grandmother retired at age 91 and misses work terribly. My 78 year-old father still works 50+ hours a week, but claims he'll slow down to 40 hours when he turns 80. Same gene pool, different priorities.

holy bejesus. you come from a family of workaholics. i'm lazy but i can't stop working. ever. having 2+ days off = hell for me (unless i have plans laid out). once i'm finished with household stuff and etc, i can't just sit around. i'll prob be working part time from 60yrs to death.

i had that about joining the air force as an officer but i didn't. i really wanted to go to uniformed services university in bethesda, maryland for a phd in pathology (they no longer have pathology as an option. makes me sad.). you trade their 4yrs of education for 4yrs in the service. technically, i could still apply since i'm under the max age.

Last edited by minted-rose; 09-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
holy bejesus. you come from a family of workaholics. i'm lazy but i can't stop working. ever. having 2+ days off = hell for me (unless i have plans laid out). once i'm finished with household stuff and etc, i can't just sit around. i'll prob be working part time from 60yrs to death.

i had that about joining the air force as an officer but i didn't. i really wanted to go to uniformed services university in bethesda, maryland for a phd in pathology (they no longer have pathology as an option. makes me sad.). you trade their 4yrs of education for 4yrs in the service. technically, i could still apply since i'm under the max age.
Give the Air Force some consideration. Great base locations and they treat their uniformed personnel well. Hey, I see you're in Baltimore. We were at Camden Yards a few weeks ago to watch the O's take on the Indians.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear

Give the Air Force some consideration. Great base locations and they treat their uniformed personnel well. Hey, I see you're in Baltimore. We were at Camden Yards a few weeks ago to watch the O's take on the Indians.
Nice!! Last year when the Os were on top of their game. I took a day trip to Boston to watch them beat the Red Sox. It was a good day

Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Nice!! Last year when the Os were on top of their game. I took a day trip to Boston to watch them beat the Red Sox. It was a good day

I grew up on Lake Erie near Cleveland, so the Indians will always remain close to my heart. However, I've lived in Northern Virginia since 1988 and followed the O's for 25 years, from the days of Cal Ripken to the Adam Jones era. I've been to more Orioles games than Indians games over the course of my life. Puts me in a real pickle in the wild card race.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
I saw this today while in Baltimore heading to my boyfriend's house. I don't think it's possible to be fans of all three. I'll post the photo with my phone.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
I couldn't position it anyway in my phone without it being in some weird angle. Sorry :(

The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White-forumrunner_20130918_202348.jpg

Old 09-18-2013, 05:42 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
No one can be both a Red Sox and Yankees fan, much less throw in the O's. In my case, I spent half my life watching the Indians, then the latter half watching the O's. It's really tough when they play each other or vie for a wild card spot. When you physically attend games at Camden Yards with your wife and daughters over 25 years, the team grows on you. My daughters like the Indians because of me, but the O's are absolutely their favorite team.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Found out today my '14 S Roadster is crossing the Atlantic on the Torino, leaving Southampton 9/21 and arriving in Baltimore 10/3. I'll have pictures for the Peerage inside a month!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 AM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great Your MINI will be here before you know it!!!

Found out today my '14 S Roadster is crossing the Atlantic on the Torino, leaving Southampton 9/21 and arriving in Baltimore 10/3. I'll have pictures for the Peerage inside a month!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DTH2CHRM
Great Your MINI will be here before you know it!!!
Not soon enough, my friend! At least I'm enjoying the Fiat 500 I rented from Budget. Can't get Charlie Sheen to join me driving it around the house, but it's quite fun anyway.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM
zre
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First track, great fun. Going to see Rush tonight

Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear

Not soon enough, my friend! At least I'm enjoying the Fiat 500 I rented from Budget. Can't get Charlie Sheen to join me driving it around the house, but it's quite fun anyway.
Glad you're enjoying the rental. I took one look at the interior and almost threw up a little bit in my mouth

Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by zre
First track, great fun. Going to see Rush tonight
Give us a review when you've seen it!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Glad you're enjoying the rental. I took one look at the interior and almost threw up a little bit in my mouth
You don't like my Fiat 500? Actually, it's front end is not particularly appealing, but the rear end has some character. It is absolutely fun to drive. I use the quasi-manual shift and the little bugger moves quickly and sounds mean. Darting in and out of traffic is an art by itself with the Fiat. It could never replace a MINI, but it's better than driving a Nissan, Ford, etc., while my Roadster is in transit.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear

You don't like my Fiat 500? Actually, it's front end is not particularly appealing, but the rear end has some character. It is absolutely fun to drive. I use the quasi-manual shift and the little bugger moves quickly and sounds mean. Darting in and out of traffic is an art by itself with the Fiat. It could never replace a MINI, but it's better than driving a Nissan, Ford, etc., while my Roadster is in transit.
I haven't driven one yet, but I loathe the interior. If I could get my hands on an Abarth as a rental, I would definitely drive the heck out of it. Wishful thinking...I know. Performance wise, I've heard good things. Most complaints were regarding the look and quality of the interior components.

But back to our loves...the pepper white MINI's. I am strongly considering painting my fender arches body color so that when I get my OZ Leggenda's, there is more of a clean look.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Guess what my boyfriend was kind enough to help me with?!

My new grilles!

The "adhesive" that held the lower grille on.... yeah it was more like black industrial silicon glue. Pain in the *** and I gave up trying to get all of it off.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Guess what my boyfriend was kind enough to help me with?!

My new grilles!

The "adhesive" that held the lower grille on.... yeah it was more like black industrial silicon glue. Pain in the *** and I gave up trying to get all of it off.

What new "grilles"?!

Pictures por favor....we love pictures!!!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Just took a photo! I still need to order the platypus plate mount.

The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White-forumrunner_20130920_172947.jpg

Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
I haven't driven one yet, but I loathe the interior. If I could get my hands on an Abarth as a rental, I would definitely drive the heck out of it. Wishful thinking...I know. Performance wise, I've heard good things. Most complaints were regarding the look and quality of the interior components.

But back to our loves...the pepper white MINI's. I am strongly considering painting my fender arches body color so that when I get my OZ Leggenda's, there is more of a clean look.
Driving the Fiat 500 is definitely fun, ugly or not!

I don't think I've noticed a MINI with body-colored fender arches added after the purchase. Be sure to post pictures. Regular paint or this plastidip stuff I keep hearing about? Additionally, I just searched your Oz Leggenda wheels - which ones are you getting?

Warning: I know nothing about vehicle mechanics or external modifications. I'm a simple lawyer.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Just took a photo! I still need to order the platypus plate mount.

Attachment 81499

Looks good, though I just strained my neck viewing it sideways!

Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Makes it much better!

For some reason the upload is never "correctly positioned". I can't get it right.

Quick Reply: The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White