General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish we had a Peerage of the Pepper badge.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howzuh
There are several Pepper White Owner's Club badges available, I just can't recall the thread link. Someone else may jump in here with the info.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
The badges --> https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ollection.html

Oh yeah if any of you have a Facebook account, please look up League of Extraordinary MINIacs and add yourself! The group promotes everything MINI and waving. (It sounds funny, I know)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Thanks, Teresa. I knew I could count on you.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
DTH2CHRM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Speaking of waving, I would like to share my recent PW experience. So I'm driving along, minding my own business and who pulls up to me on the parkway but a PW R53. As both of our MINI's are modified, we waved the only way we could on a two lane winding road....by popping it in neutral and giving one massive engine rev each (mainly because my windows are pitch black so my waves go unnoticed with the windows up). Ahh the sweet sound of MINI's :-)

Pepper Whites....gotta love 'em!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minted-rose
The badges --> https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ollection.html Oh yeah if any of you have a Facebook account, please look up League of Extraordinary MINIacs and add yourself! The group promotes everything MINI and waving. (It sounds funny, I know)
You have all the answers. Thx

Old 11-08-2013, 12:03 AM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
Thanks, Teresa. I knew I could count on you.
You have all the answers. Thx
No need to thank!! I just have a lot of time on my hands

Originally Posted by DTH2CHRM
Speaking of waving, I would like to share my recent PW experience. So I'm driving along, minding my own business and who pulls up to me on the parkway but a PW R53. As both of our MINI's are modified, we waved the only way we could on a two lane winding road....by popping it in neutral and giving one massive engine rev each (mainly because my windows are pitch black so my waves go unnoticed with the windows up). Ahh the sweet sound of MINI's :-)

Hell yeah!!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DTH2CHRM

I've waved at nearly ten MINI drivers since I got my Roadster. Not a single wave in return. Do other MINI owners recognize my Roadster as a MINI or do they simply lack knowledge of MINI protocol among enthusiasts?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
linak
2nd Gear
I've waved at nearly ten MINI drivers since I got my Roadster. Not a single wave in return. Do other MINI owners recognize my Roadster as a MINI or do they simply lack knowledge of MINI protocol among enthusiasts?
TDave - I think you may be on to something. The iconic MINI is the hatch so it's easily recognizable and, I'm assuming based on my limited experience (2 days), more likely to get/receive waves. I'm happy to say my first wave was from a MINI that was the mirror image of mine and I've gotten waves from several others (Hatchbacks and Clubmans) over the last two days. It just may be that there are just so few Roadsters around that folks aren't identifying them quickly enough . . . they're probably waving - just a bit late for your to see and they are no doubt saying "that's one cool MINI I just passed!". Keep waving!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
I'll keep trying. I think they only sell between 2,000 and 3,000 Roadsters in the U.S. market every year, so we are not a common sight on American roads. But that's part of the"cool" factor associated with my Roadster IMO.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
I'll keep trying. I think they only sell between 2,000 and 3,000 Roadsters in the U.S. market every year, so we are not a common sight on American roads. But that's part of the"cool" factor associated with my Roadster IMO.
your roadster is definitely cool. currently, majority of the people purchasing these minis only get them due to the fact that they're just another vehicle to purchase. a lot of owners are just drivers. they're not enthusiasts like the people on this forum. you'll definitely get waves from people who mod their minis.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minted-rose
your roadster is definitely cool. currently, majority of the people purchasing these minis only get them due to the fact that they're just another vehicle to purchase. a lot of owners are just drivers. they're not enthusiasts like the people on this forum. you'll definitely get waves from people who mod their minis.
Makes sense. As production increases in the U.S. market, sightings of the MINI (particularly the traditional hard top) become more common and ho-hum. When I was younger, a BMW stood out among American vehicles. Now a BMW is as common as a Ford Taurus in the DC market.

*Edit: Words highlighted in red were added to clarify a point. Remainder of the post is unchanged. See Post #566 for additional clarification.

Last edited by tampadave; 11-08-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM
linak
2nd Gear
Makes sense. As production increases in the U.S. market, the MINI (particularly the traditional hard top) becomes more common and ho-hum. When I was younger, a BMW stood out among American vehicles. Now a BMW is as common as a Ford Taurus in the DC market.
Wow - do you really consider the majority of gorgeous vehicles displayed on this site ho-hum? Considering the small market share of MINIs vs. every other car make sold in the US I dare say it won't be in my lifetime that a Hardtop MINI will become ho-hum. Due to the fact that a MINI can be so personalized, every model has a "cool" factor. I'm glad you like your Roadster. I happen to be passionate about my Hardtop as well. So please don't be condescending about any model that isn't yours. There is no hierarchy in this MINI world.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by linak
Wow - do you really consider the majority of gorgeous vehicles displayed on this site ho-hum? Considering the small market share of MINIs vs. every other car make sold in the US I dare say it won't be in my lifetime that a Hardtop MINI will become ho-hum. Due to the fact that a MINI can be so personalized, every model has a "cool" factor. I'm glad you like your Roadster. I happen to be passionate about my Hardtop as well. So please don't be condescending about any model that isn't yours. There is no hierarchy in this MINI world.
Well said. At our recent club event Halloween at the Races here in So Cal we had about 70+ minis lined up and no two were the same. It was awesome.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
VittorioS
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they are a bit "ho-hum." Sorry, but when I see another HT, mostly ones that are stock from factory, I tend to just go on and not take a second look. You can say, "oh but I've got stripes and an 'actual size' sticker," but it's not really unique since every other Mini has those things. Unless a HT is highly modified or is in the "stance" look it's not unique in anyway, just another HT. I see plenty of them daily, a convertible or coupe, well it's definitely more unique; way less of them on the road.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Whoa, linak. You totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Completely.

I personally like all the various MINI models. I'm saying that as the rest of America buys the MINI in greater numbers, they become a more common sight on the road. It's not unusual to see MINI's everywhere these days, whereas a few years ago they turned heads more due to scarcity.

When a MINI comes down the road in 2013, the sighting is a bit more common or ho-hum than it used to be.
I'm not saying the MINI is a ho-hum car. Greater numbers simply make the sighting less head-turning or more of a ho-hum experience.

I hope I made myself clear. If not, I'm sorry you missed my point. I think MINI makes a spectacular line of cars, all of which have their own "cool" factor due to unique personalization inherent in the MINI culture. You've seen many of my posts on NAM. I've never insulted another poster or disparaged their MINI, nor am I about to start now.

Last edited by tampadave; 11-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Originally Posted by VittorioS
I think they are a bit "ho-hum." Sorry, but when I see another HT, mostly ones that are stock from factory, I tend to just go on and not take a second look. You can say, "oh but I've got stripes and an 'actual size' sticker," but it's not really unique since every other Mini has those things. Unless a HT is highly modified or is in the "stance" look it's not unique in anyway, just another HT. I see plenty of them daily, a convertible or coupe, well it's definitely more unique; way less of them on the road.
Actually, I went to the MINI dealership for the Hard Top, which I've always loved. I didn't know the Roadster existed! One test drive with the top down, however, and I was sold on the Roadster. Put me in mind of the MGB and two MG Midgets I lovingly owned and admired in my college days.

I understand your point regarding truly modded out MINI's. My Roadster is boring with no mods or any planned. I like it's nondescript appearance without stripes, badges, decals, modified stance, etc. But that's what works for me!

Last edited by tampadave; 11-08-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:27 AM
linak
2nd Gear
Whoa, linak. You totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Completely. I personally like all the various MINI models.
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, when texting is involved it's too easy to read between the lines. Long live real conversation . . . Or lots more typing. Enjoy the day.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:57 AM
minted-rose
3rd Gear
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, when texting is involved it's too easy to read between the lines. Long live real conversation . . . Or lots more typing. Enjoy the day.
That's so true though. Monotonous internet conversations are sometimes hard to interpret and ,at times, stressful if you can't tell how someone said something. That's what I hate about the internet. I prefer actually seeing someone's face and hearing their voice.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!! :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using NAMotoring

Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I'm glad you appreciate my clarification. You and I have exchanged posts on several occasions, all of which were positive. I congratulated you on your delivery and complimented your HT at least once, if not more.

You did raise an interesting point about there being no hierarchy in the MINI world. I totally agree. No model is better than another, but we individually prefer certain models over others. I prefer a Roadster and you prefer a HT, which would have been my second choice. You may not have considered a Roadster under any circumstances. And there's nothing wrong with that.

MINI's model lineup and the entire MINI culture are like nothing I've seen in the American marketplace. It's not my normal practice to hang around a website dedicated to vehicles like NAM, but MINI is "not normal". You sense it immediately upon entering a MINI dealership. You see it when you sight a neon green MINI with orange wheels and mirror caps on the highway. MINI is "not normal" - nor are MINI owners "normal". We represent one of the most diverse demographic populations in the automobile world. And that, my friend, is cool.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:58 AM
linak
2nd Gear
We represent one of the most diverse demographic populations in the automobile world. And that, my friend, is cool.
I'm right there with you on that one. Have a great motoring weekend!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
I noticed the difference when I was at the dealership buying my car and a MINI owner who was picking his car up from having the scheduled maintenance done walked up and congratulated me on my new car. I thought to myself. This never happens anywhere else. This is going to et interesting. I love the MINI culture.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
I noticed the difference when I was at the dealership buying my car and a MINI owner who was picking his car up from having the scheduled maintenance done walked up and congratulated me on my new car. I thought to myself. This never happens anywhere else. This is going to et interesting. I love the MINI culture.
I had a similar occurrence the day I ordered my Roadster. A family was there to pick up their daughter's new Pepper White HT and the father overheard my conversation with the MA. He walked over, congratulated me, then described their family's MINI history. He was excited over his 3rd MINI, a new Clubman. His wife was on her 2nd MINI and his son-in-law bought his 1st MINI the year before. Did I mention the family was black? Yes, indeed. I've seen people of all races, ages, genders, and walks of life at MINI of Sterling during each visit. You can't exactly label MINI owners, at least in the greater Washington, DC area. My MA, a sixty-something Hungarian immigrant (Ishtvan "Steve" Berger), bought his own Pepper White Roadster off the lot two months before I placed my order. I'm in my mid-fifties. Yet here we are driving turbo-charged British sports cars with ragtops. And my new friend? The old black guy thought this old white guy's new Roadster purchase was a great idea. Awesome! Welcome to the world of MINI.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Hello folks! I would like to join the peerage. Could I please request #2185 if not already taken? Been getting lots of compliments on the color already since Sunday delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Attached Thumbnails The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White-image-1356228526.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
Hello folks! I would like to join the peerage. Could I please request #2185 if not already taken? Been getting lots of compliments on the color already since Sunday delivery. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Welcome. What mods are ya thinking about?

Quick Reply: The New Official Peerage of the Pepper White