General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding: "S" vs. non-S? (w/wo turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
essaybrah
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi OP

I bought my MINI on impulse 4 weeks ago.I was in a similar situation as you though, as I've got 1 hour of commuting each way (stop n go).

I've driven the S, and thought the power was fantastic, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on much with the Justacooper I have. Justacooper is perfect for the stop and go traffic. I think an S would emulate the same fuel economy as any other mid sized car in your situation, so you'd end up losing that fuel economy benefit.

What i am saying is, go for the justacooper now, and trade in for an S at a later time when you don't mind the poorer fuel economy

Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Blue Scapegoat
1st Gear
I bought my new Cooper S in June of '11 knowing I wanted something spunky. I didn't bother test driving a Justa. Loved it.

Fast forward 5 months and 15,000 miles and I'm at the dealership for a new clutch, brakes, and oil seal. I've put 100,000 miles on a USED Toyota Celica (while participating in SCCA events), and 55,000 on a USED Jeep with a 4 cylinder I lifted and put 33" tires on with stock gearing (Imagine the beating that clutch took!) and never needed a clutch. The dealership honored the warranty, but blamed me and said next time I pay for it myself.

So, it's not proved itself to be a mechanically sound car. That said...

It's fantastically fun, and on a round trip 1000 mile drive to VA Beach I achieved 38.8 mpg in the 90 degree heat, part of the time with the A/C on. (according to the optimistic on board computer)

While it was in the shop I was given a Justa loaner with an automatic... I hated it. Being used to my S, I had to run the **** out of it just to do what would have been casual acceleration in my S. After nearly a week of driving it I found myself being passed by ancient people in Buicks and Grand Marquis.

However, I think a Justa would be totally enjoyable and just fine if it were equipped with a manual and you hadn't already tested an S...

And BTW, having only personally owned manual cars for the last 6 years, the bump shift automatic was less than impressive. I don't know if it's common or acceptable, but the delay between me telling it to shift and it even feeling like it was starting to was unacceptable. BUT, in full auto mode it did shift better than any other auto I'd ever driven.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 AM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
For me it was a no brainer. Coming from a C5 Corvette, a justa would not have done the job for me! However, that's justa me.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I split my driving between a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V with 400 hp and a 6 speed and my 08 Cooper with automatic and the sport package and I'm perfectly content with the Cooper.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Paultergeist
Neutral
Thanks for the continued dialog......still following along on the though process....thanks to all for the replies...

Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drive both and then let your wallet decide. I test drove a S and decided that was not fast enough for me so I went with a JCW. And then I modded the heck out of it to make it even faster.

If you love to drive then get an S. If you just want a good commuter car get a Justa.

Another thing to consider is that this is a BMW product. Parts and labor are expensive and even the 3rd party aftermarket products are expensive because MINI is a still a niche brand.

I have had many, many MINI loaner cars. I am happy to get a manual S as a loaner and even an auto S. When I get an auto justa Cooper as a loaner I just can't deal with it.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Bmont82
1st Gear
My opinion would be to get the S. I feel as if the S is the way the car should be and if you wanted a sportier version then you would get a JCW.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Your needs seem to point you towards a justa auto. Just go for 1 w/ the sport button & paddles. Driven 1, not bad at all.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
For myself this is an easy question. If my justa vanished, I would get another - and I'd try to get another one that was essentially identical.

This forum is useful, usually will-meaning, but is perhaps not the best place for objectivity. You might be better served if you, on your S. Cal commute evaluate your driving behavior compared to your fellow commuters. I have commuted there and elsewhere and there are clearly a number of behaviors out there, the spectrum ranges from anti-social behavior to slow/clueless/obstructions. Most folks are, thankfully somewhere between these extremes in the 'try to get ahead moderately aggressive' to the 'go with the flow' majority of the bell curve. This might help you with your dilema.

Do you 'need' the extra power? Do you want the thrill of the extra power?

Sounds like you are aware of the costs you incur with the extra whirly bits and attendant stresses on the car.

If costs are a consideration you might look at is on a cost/benefit basis by comparing the 'S' up-front costs against a suite of options that cost about the same as the 'S' premium. Which would you find more useful in the long haul. Would those bucks give you more bang over the life of the car for example 'S' vs. justa with Xenon's and Convenient Access or whatever.

Hope you enjoy the result of your decision as much as I have enjoyed mine! -

ps. I was thinking... if my justa 'really' disappeared... hummm... maybe a justa Coupe!

Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 AM
d@g
3rd Gear
I hope I don't offend anyone with these comments...

When I was shopping for my MINI, I was fairly set on a non-S (aka Justa Cooper). The salesman warned me that once I drove the 'S' there would be no going back. He was wrong. Yes, the S is quicker than the non-S, but it isn't anywhere close to being a "fast" car (if that's what you like). I've been there, done that in cars costing multiples of the MINIs. I have no issues with the power of the non-S. For me, the fun of a MINI comes from its flickability (handling), quirky looks in a fairly economical package.

Both the "Justa" Cooper and the "S" are fun cars to toss around. You will probably enjoy driving the S more, but it'll cost you more initially and you will pay a price at the pump and arguably, at the repair shop down the road (more parts = more maintenance, or simply, if you drive harder, you'll wear things out faster).

I have a commute similar to yours and I average between 38 and 40 mpg on every tank. That's important to me. My previous commuter car was a VW TDI (also, not a fast car, but lot's of low-end torque). I could drive that car like a scalded cat and still get 48 mpg (occasionally, over 50 mpg). It was 10 years old and still running strong, but I wanted a change. There's a thread here about MINI MPG's and I'm shocked to see so many S owners getting mileage in the mid-20's. The MINI has a TINY gas tank. With your commute, you'd be filling up every other day. That's what really turned me off to the "S" -- it was faster to drain the tank, so all that time I made up in my commute by zipping along was lost waiting in line at the gas station

Both are great cars. If you value speed or bragging rights over economy, go with the "S". If you're not into speed but enjoy driving a nimble, responsive car with ample power balanced with good economy, go with the Justa. I'd start riding the bus before I drove either with an automatic trans, though

Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 AM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
No one has said it yet, so let me warn you: if you are considering a Justa and enjoy driving, DON'T test drive an S. This was probably the best advice I got before I bought my S. I knew what I wanted and didn't test drive it until I was prepared to buy.
The turbo is addictive.

HTH

Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Get the regular Cooper (Non-S). I got mine because of the same reasons as you. My commute is about 80 miles round trip a day. I'm averaging about 33.5 MPG and the ride is fun, and the car is actually zippier then you think. You'd not be sacrificing anything, and gaining a lot.

Al.

Originally Posted by Paultergeist
Well, I guess that is another way to look at things. I could also just keep on driving the existing Camry until something really catastrophic goes out on it, still purching a MINI in the near future, but keeping the miles comparitively low on MINI by not making it my primary commute car.....

....still, a big part of the rationale [for considering the MINI] is the sheer amount of time -- by virtue of my commute -- that I spend in a car. Why not drive something that I really like, is fun, and also get better gas mileage than the 28 (MPG freeway) I am currently achieving? A partial answer to that question may incorporate the maintenance costs, as I am now gleaning that the per-mile maintenance cost for a MINI might be much higher than what I am accustomed to paying?

*sigh* tough decisions.....all centered around money.....

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 AM
weedsinfrederick
Neutral
If you're going to load all those miles onto a commuter car, I'd get a disposable care like a basic Civic or something. But then again, I'd also get a Cooper S for the weekends, shorter drives, around town, etc.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by someguyfromMaryland
No one has said it yet, so let me warn you: if you are considering a Justa and enjoy driving, DON'T test drive an S. This was probably the best advice I got before I bought my S. I knew what I wanted and didn't test drive it until I was prepared to buy.
The turbo is addictive.

HTH
This is sort of subjective. I test drove 3 different S cars, ready to be thrilled with the difference, and I was unimpressed. It was so hyped up on forums (the S is SO MUCH MOAR BETTAR!) that I was expecting a huge disparity in power delivery, and in my perception it was only marginal. I'd advise anyone to just drive both and think on it for a day.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
This is sort of subjective. I test drove 3 different S cars, ready to be thrilled with the difference, and I was unimpressed. It was so hyped up on forums (the S is SO MUCH MOAR BETTAR!) that I was expecting a huge disparity in power delivery, and in my perception it was only marginal. I'd advise anyone to just drive both and think on it for a day.
I think this is the best advice given so far. Drive both, but drive the Non-turbo first. Then drive the S. This way, you are not biased. Everyone can see, both sides of the fence are satisfying to those with different needs. Drive a non-S, then drive the S, then think about it. You will know what is right from that point. Great advice!

Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
We have one of each...'04 Justa with the CVT (aka: automatic) and a 2012 S with a 6 spd...and we take the Justa for long trips. Plenty of pep and a better ride with the stock suspension and yet it still handles great.
Given that the automatics are much better than the CVT and the new Minis have a bit more power...I would say go with the Justa.

With that said, there are a couple of options that you should consider.
#1 is the sport seats. They are way better than the stock seats (stock seats are really not too good). Even better yet are the Leather/cloth seats with the adjustable lumbar support.
#2 is a set of light weight aftermarket wheels (stay with the 15" wheels in any case). These will improve the ride (less unsprung weight) and improve gas milage and acceleraton (less rotational mass). I know, sounds like getting something for nothing but anytime you can reduce weight there is always a benefit. The more stop and go you do the more the benefit.
#3 is the optional sport suspension. I know, it is a little rougher riding, but if you are into the twisties at all, this is a great option.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Bmont82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
We have one of each...'04 Justa with the CVT (aka: automatic) and a 2012 S with a 6 spd...and we take the Justa for long trips. Plenty of pep and a better ride with the stock suspension and yet it still handles great.
Given that the automatics are much better than the CVT and the new Minis have a bit more power...I would say go with the Justa.

With that said, there are a couple of options that you should consider.
#1 is the sport seats. They are way better than the stock seats (stock seats are really not too good). Even better yet are the Leather/cloth seats with the adjustable lumbar support.
#2 is a set of light weight aftermarket wheels (stay with the 15" wheels in any case). These will improve the ride (less unsprung weight) and improve gas milage and acceleraton (less rotational mass). I know, sounds like getting something for nothing but anytime you can reduce weight there is always a benefit. The more stop and go you do the more the benefit.
#3 is the optional sport suspension. I know, it is a little rougher riding, but if you are into the twisties at all, this is a great option.
There actually isn't less rotational mass as the overall wheel/tire diameter is equal between a 15" and 17"

Old 12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmont82
There actually isn't less rotational mass as the overall wheel/tire diameter is equal between a 15" and 17"
From Tire Rack:
wheel: BBS RG-F 15X7: 10.2# (lightest 15")
ContiProContact 195/65R15, 25" dia: 18#
Total: 28.2 #

wheel: OZ 17x7 14# (lightest 17"... the weight is higher with the BBS wheels)
ContiProContact 205/50R17, 25.1" dia: 23#
Total: 37#

I tried to pick equals here to make an even comparison. Given that the difference in mass is in the outer edge of the wheel and in the tire, that will make the most difference in rotational mass. And that is not even looking at the difference in weight from the stock wheels to the aftermarket wheels. A few months ago Car and Driver published the test results of this for stock, +1, +2 and +3 wheel/tire combinations and found that with each step up, weight went up, acceleration went down, gas milage went down, and cornering improvements stopped at +2.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bmont82
There would probably be less rotational mass as 15" wheels tend to be lighter than 17". The wheel tire combo tends to be lighter even though the tire may be a bit heavier, rubber is lighter than metal. Also the weight on a 15" wheel is closer to the axle, so its moment of inertia is even lower.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
We also have one of each, the 07 JustaCooper and the 08 S. If I could only have one, I'd be quite happy with just the JustaCooper, its plenty fun. The first time I test drove an S, I didn't think the power was that much greater. Now I'm used to it, it feels a lot more powerful than the JustaCooper. But both are lots of fun. The S is fun because its fast, the JustaCooper is fun because it takes more effort to drive it fast.

As for reliability, our S has been more reliable, but that's probably because its not driven as much and the 07 was the first year of the new model. I agree with Eddie07s, the cloth/leather sports seats are the best MINI seats I've sat in. We have then in both MINIs. We also have the sport suspension in both, I like it like that. Its an option you can add to either model.

We get about 3mpg (25 vs 28) more out of the JustaCooper, we don't seem to be very economical drivers. The newer models are supposed to be another mpg or 2 more efficient.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
My situation is that I drive about 40 miles each day, through suburbs (30 mph to 60 mph) with stoplights but a few sections of open highway. this year I was looking to find a car with better mileage. Being a GM guy, I looked at the Cruze and Focus, then drove a couple of MINIs, both a justa and an S. I figured out that I could get a 2 or 3 year old MINI for the same money as a new Focus, and have a car that was enjoyable to drive.

In July I found an 09 justa, cloth interior with sport seats, base suspension and 15" wheels, minimal options. The car was nimble and enjoyable. I paid 15,500 for it and was quite happy. I drove the car about 2000 miles and was getting 36-38 mpg. I drive pretty legal and with a focus on mileage, but was not able to break 40 mpg.

In October I found an 08 MCS for my car + 1000. The car had sport suspension, premium/cold packages, and I really liked the laser blue and black. Now, after about 2500 miles with this car, I have gotten 28-32 mpg with this car. Both are automatics.

Like others have said, the MCS is quick, but not a fast car. The impressive thing to me is that it does not drive like a turbo car (think Saab or Chrysler with lag), it has very good torque for a turbo car. I am happy with the blue car, but kinda miss the justa. I don't know how much the sunroof and other options weigh, but the S does not feel as nimble and light as the justa. It is much quicker, especially in accelleration.

Moral of the story: You will enjoy either car much, much more than a civic or a focus. Will you get 300k out of it? Maybe not. But you will fall in love with the car. Drive both, figure out if the S is worth 6-8 mpg less.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The published weights of a standard 15" wheel and tire on the 2012 justa totals 28 pounds. The tire diameter is 24".

Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
300k? I do not think most will even get 100k before dumping their MINI or putting lots of money into it to keep it on the road.

I am not looking forward to how costly its going to be to keep my car going for the long haul.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
nodoze
2nd Gear
Don't buy a justa. If you want a fun to drive car that doesn't utilize forced induction there are better options

Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What $21,600 normally aspirated car is more fun to drive than my MINI?

Quick Reply: Help deciding: "S" vs. non-S? (w/wo turbo)