General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding: "S" vs. non-S? (w/wo turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Paultergeist
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help deciding: "S" vs. non-S? (w/wo turbo)

Greetings!

I am a brand new member of the forum -- so please be kind as I navigate these new (to me!) waters.....

I am dangerously-close to considering the purchase of a new MINI Cooper from a local dealership. I am still on the fence somewhat, and I would be interested in gathering a few opinions from folks who already own MINIs.

About me: I have a long commute: 55 miles each way, 4 days a week, mainly freeway (but in Southern California, so there is some stop-n-go). Gas mileage is a strong consideration. Although I enjoy the *sport* feel of occasionally shifting gears manually, the nature of the traffic I often drive in really dictates that I get an automatic transmission (the *dual* nature of the MINI auto-trans is a big hit with me). Importantly, I tend to wring a lot of miles out of a car. As an example, the current commute vehicle is a 1994 Toyota Camry with over 260K miles on it.....still running pretty strong, but also showing its age.

The MINI is a strong consideration for me because of the intersection of price, performance, style, and gas mileage.

Now on to my major question: I am really stuck in the decision tree between turbo and non-turbo engines (i.e., "S" vs. "non-S").

There are compelling arguments to be made either way. I will confess that I am wary of the turbo because -- should I buy this car -- I would intend to get 200K-300K miles out of it. My general sense is that turbo-charged engines are not necessarily known for their longevity, but I could be wrong. Most of my driving will be in conditions that will not really exploit the power curve of the "S" engine, but.......

....once in a while on the winding country roads, the extra power might be fun. I am trying to avoid having purchase regrets.

For those that own MINI Coopers, I am wondering what their thought process was between getting the "S" vs. the "non-S" model?

Do folks who have purchased non-S models often find themselves regretting the lower power?

Do folks who went with S versions later feel that they really did not need the extra power?

From a maintenance and longevity standpoint, what have been some of the observations and consequences of having / not having the turbo-charged engine?

I am grateful for any informed and thoughtful replies.

Paul

Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
simple... more power more problem or less power less problems. That being said More power more enjoyment or less power less enjoyment.

I myself have a 2010 s and have had no major issues, whther its because of meticulous maintanence i dont know but focus on what you will want(drive both).

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
I pondered the same considerations before buying my 08 Cooper. I wanted a S initially, but as I read, I found enormous contentment with Non-S versions. I also saw reliability ratings were higher on Non-S versions. From this point I started looking for some form of idea of how quick these versions were. I found a Mercedes SLK owner who loved his Non-S and figured it must have enough power to keep him happy so it was worth persuing. I ended up finding the 08 that I have now which was a 6spd automatic with the sport package. I was shocked at the power it had for such low hp. I have driven mine for 25000 miles to date. I'm just about to hit 60000 miles. I have enjoyed every minute driving this car and have no regrets of choosing a Non-S. I am having to face that I ame going to have to step up to a Clubman next year or so due to a little boy that won't fit behind my seat much longer. I am facing facts that I may have to step up to a S in that vehicle due to the extra weight of the Clubman. I am so happy with my Cooper that I plan to prolong my ownership with this car as long as I can.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
simple... more power more problem or less power less problems. That being said More power more enjoyment or less power less enjoyment.
Well, I have had my 2009 MINI for almost 3 years and a 30,000+ miles with very few problems. The only significant one being the replacement of the timing belt tensioner. Personally I think you might like either, but - to me - the "S" is SOOOO much more fun to drive. Then again I would also only get the manual trans and a convertible, since that is the most fun of all...so you may not want to look to me for advice

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had my 07 for almost 3 years and it now has 70k on it. Being that it is getting close to being 5 years old I would say I have had 1 minor issue (clutch pedal need to be replaced) and 2 major issues(dual mass flywheel started going out and I got a new clutch and timing chain is about to be replaced). That is with an S. Now we are finally starting to see 100K+ R56s so the true reliabilty is going to start coming out to see what starts tanking on the higher milage ones.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Paultergeist
Neutral
Thanks for all the replies thus far.....

Qucik follow-up question: what is a "R56s?"

Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
The chassis code for 2007+ mini hatchbacks

Originally Posted by Paultergeist

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Eury
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Paultergeist

2007+ Cooper S.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
gp1254
2nd Gear
R56s is the model designation 07+ MINI Cooper S

Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
I haven't had my S for very long, but I can say I love it and I love the power. When I was shopping I wouldn't consider anything but an S because I knew in some way I'd regret it.

That said, now having owned the S, I am happy with it, however....if a Semi truck were to smash my car today, I'd likely go shopping for another Mini Cooper tomorrow, however I'd allow non-S cars into my search. I know what I've got, I know what I'd be missing and if I found a good deal on a non-S it certainly would be considered.

Initial purchase cost savings, headache savings, but the same fun around the corners could all sway me. But that's hard to think about when you are buying your first one.

I can say I never grow tired of stomping on the pedal and feeling the power and listening to the custom intake and wastegate noise. Brings a grin to my face every time.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
christomapher
4th Gear
The S has *****.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
You mean BPV noise, most folks cant tell when the wastegate opens until you open up the exhaust(WOT) or on cold start.

Originally Posted by gixxerjasen
I can say I never grow tired of stomping on the pedal and feeling the power and listening to the custom intake and wastegate noise. Brings a grin to my face every time.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have no regrets so far on buying a Justacooper. I'm guessing most Justa owners are happy with their MINI and don't specifically miss having an S, but I'm sure there are some who do wish they'd gotten the model with more power.

I'd bet there are very very few S owners who regret not getting a Justa.

For me the Justa was about 99% of the fun of the S, with fewer hassles and potential failure points, and better fuel economy, not to mention 80% of the initial purchase price. Well worth it to me. (Besides, you don't need as much motor when you don't have to slow down much for the corners!!)

It sounds like the S version puts a little extra wear and tear on things generally, and has more potential for carbon deposits on the intake valves and possibly even the engine fires we have heard of. Surveys also seem to regularly rate the Justa as more reliable than the S, so it would probably be more likely to last as long as you need it to.

That said, maintenance on any Cooper is going to be relatively expensive. And like any German-designed car, it will bite you if you don't keep up on the maintenance.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
jallen4
2nd Gear
If you think you want to drive it 2-3 hundred thousand miles, buy another Toyota. I love my MINI and probably will always have one but not with those kind of miles.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's really pretty simple to me. Do you want a fun to drive sports car or an economical high gas mileage car.

The reason I bought my MINI was the sporty aspect of the car. The turbo version is fast and handles like a dream. I would not be happy with a Justa, just not enough get up and go.

If you are really worried about reliability buy an extended warranty like I did. $1250.00 for 7 years, 70,000 miles. Covers everything except the clutch and the brakes.

I have had my mini for a year and a half and had no problems whatsoever...

All that being said, If you are going to drive your MINI more than 15,000 miles a year, you are going to have to spend money on maintenance. These cars are really expensive to fix when something does break. Treat it well, change the oil often and keep your fingers crossed.

These cars are so incredibly fun to drive, I think it is worth the risk. You only live once!! Have fun and MOTOR ON.....

Last edited by cop1406; 12-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
My sister had a justa for about a year, traded it back to the dealer for the cooper S. She said she should have gotten the S in the first place.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a CPO 2007-S with 50K miles. I've owned it for a little over a year. Chain tensioner, water pump, high pressure fuel pump went out between 23K and 38K but were all replaced under warranty. Then about 43K engine went kaput but was replaced also under warranty - no questions asked. Had a 2010 Justa loaner and got less MPG for the 6 wks I had it (why?, I dunno). I'm in SoCal and commute about 75 miles a day. I prefer the S (hopefully a JCW in the future).

So good luck with your search but either way, it will be a MINI!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Ginvent
2nd Gear
Just get the S and :-)

Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '09 Justa coming up on 48k miles. No problems whatsoever so I'd agree with car reviewers it's definitely reliable. I do at times think it would have been nice to have ordered an S for the power availability (particularly on the freeway), but on the technical twisties (which like everyone i enjoy most) i have had no problems at all keeping pace with the S when maintaining proper rpm. The Justa is a very capable bundle of fun. Of course due to the significant HP difference, when exiting corners the S ALWAYS has the advantage jumping back up to speed. With the Justa there is some understeer cornering hard so my first major mod coming soon will be to upgrade the suspension to eliminate the problem. When it comes right down to it, i have no regrets and wouldn't consider replacing Cary with an S (as he's just part of the family). Like anything it comes down to personal preference - what compromises you're willing to accept.

I commute quite a bit as well so MPG was a significant consideration for me with gas prices guaranteed to only increase due to worldwide petroleum production having peaked years ago (motoring enjoyment was for me a very close second). I do enjoy my hypocracy though, as there's no way you'd catch me dead in a 'Pious' or any other horrid varient! The tradeoff i was willing to accept was less power. If you want raw power available, the S is for you. If it's not as important, a Justa will serve you well with a few modifications. Either way, you're going to have a blast with your Cooper.

Last edited by Cary Cooper; 12-14-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently driving a justa Clubman manual, and it has been fine and really zippy. I bought it cause I wanted the better gas mileage and do not really care for the hood scoop on the Clubbies. That said I am selling her for a Cooper S automatic. I just wanted to zip along a little faster.

It is true that the Justas get better gas mileage, rated 26 more miles per tank for the automatic over an automatic S. I still think 449 miles per gallon and 34/26/29 is not too bad for the S compared to 36/28/31 and 475 miles for the non-S. Not too much of a difference for way more fun!

As far as expense, get all the work done at MINI for covered maintenance and start looking around and asking other people for a great MINI mechanic in your area. I have a great one and will get all my work one there after warranty!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Paultergeist
Neutral
Originally Posted by jallen4
If you think you want to drive it 2-3 hundred thousand miles, buy another Toyota. I love my MINI and probably will always have one but not with those kind of miles.
Well, I guess that is another way to look at things. I could also just keep on driving the existing Camry until something really catastrophic goes out on it, still purching a MINI in the near future, but keeping the miles comparitively low on MINI by not making it my primary commute car.....

....still, a big part of the rationale [for considering the MINI] is the sheer amount of time -- by virtue of my commute -- that I spend in a car. Why not drive something that I really like, is fun, and also get better gas mileage than the 28 (MPG freeway) I am currently achieving? A partial answer to that question may incorporate the maintenance costs, as I am now gleaning that the per-mile maintenance cost for a MINI might be much higher than what I am accustomed to paying?

*sigh* tough decisions.....all centered around money.....

Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Paultergeist
Neutral
Lest I forget, I do very much appreciate the effort all posters have gone to in sharing their thoughts in response to my query.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I considered trading in my Justa for an S several times, and each time I test drove a different version of the Cooper S I was left wanting. Yes, they are faster, but they are still not FAST, modded cars and JCW cars aside. My sport bikes were fast, maybe my perspective is skewed. In any case, I've enjoyed my Cooper, and I really love it now that it's a little modded. I also sleep easy knowing I don't have to worry about any problems with a dual mass flywheel, high pressure fuel pump, timing chain tensioner, carbon buildup, warping hood scoop, etc.

Naturally you're going to have to test drive both, this decision only you can make. You'll be happy either way, they're both very fun cars to drive.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're this torn between the two, the only way to solve your dilemma is to test drive both at your nearest MINI dealership.

My two cents are this: you will enjoy driving either one. The Cooper will provide better gas mileage and better reliability. But you have to weight those things with just how important is speed to you? The Cooper is certainly peppy, even in automatic guise. If you like to pass people a lot on the highway, you may want the extra "oomph" that the turbo'd Cooper S provides, but my ultimate recommendation is to save some money and go with the Cooper, and load it up with some nice packages with the savings.

In the end though, only you can decide for yourself, so again, the best thing you can do is do a test drive. I'd recommend testing the Cooper first, then see if the Cooper S provides enough difference to sway you...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Mike M
2nd Gear
I've got an '09 Cooper that I drive the poop out of...I'm 2 1/2 years into ownership and have nearly 70,000 miles on the car. Obviously, a lot of that is highway miles, and I can't remember a single time that I really wished I had the additional power of the S. I'm also a big believer in the old saying that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow", so maybe that's part of it as well.

Now for the other side...mine's a manual transmission. I've driven a couple of Cooper automatics as loaners from the dealership, and I'm really not convinced I'd be as happy with one as I am my car. To me it's noticeably more sluggish. Then again, I never really played with the "manual" mode.

I guess my opinion is that the Cooper is fine with a manual, but if I had to have an automatic I'd want the extra power of the S.

Good luck with your purchase. The truth of the matter is that you really can't go wrong either way!

Quick Reply: Help deciding: "S" vs. non-S? (w/wo turbo)