General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to pick between either of these choices...06 MCS vs 09 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:00 PM
jbm1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the '06. I would prefer a supercharger over a turbo. Use the extra money for an extended warranty and/or upgrades.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
purplehaze05mcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbm1
Take the '06. I would prefer a supercharger over a turbo. Use the extra money for an extended warranty and/or upgrades.
That's precisely why I got my 05. Then, later I found out they're replacing the supercharger with a turbo...I had to get a Pepper White MCSA for the wifee before they're gone. Hey! I thought PH were only offered in 05. Love my minis!!!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 AM
insanitize
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallman
Errrr........Carfax?

Not always accurate. I've seen obviously wrecked vehicles (mismached paint, fender out of alignment) with good Carfax

Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got an 06 and an 08

OK I have one of each.

06 is the best of the Supercharger type. I love the sound, and there are so many toys you can add. It will need shock tower braces to prevent the dreaded mushrooming. Oil catch can is a good idea and easy to install.
Long term the SC may need to be refurbished and if the water pump gears go it can be a pain.

My 08 is really nice. Someday my daughter may let me drive it. It is a clubman and she is very quick at the Autocross. Oil catch can is essential as the PVC system cokes up the intake really seriously. The turbos are notorious for bad intake fouling. Lots of threads on that.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
oh another thing

If you like good sound systems just get the 06.

After 06 the stock radio and computer are so interbred that you cannot upgrade without very strange methods and result is a poor compromise.

I have killer speakers and a 300 watt amp slipped in with relative ease in the 06. Great sound.

Hands are tied on the 08 stock or silence. Dont get me going on the rear speaker bass rolloff.

cheers.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:43 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingelsecomesclose
I agree with what you say about the 06, is there any way to easily tell if common problems on the car have been dealt with that you know of?

Thanks for your input!
Generaly if the car seems tidy, and well matained, the little things, and hopefuly any bigger things that have popped up have been fixed as they occured.
A test drive will tell you lots about the suspension...does it track stright, return to center, etc...smooth no shimmy...look at the tires....mini's tend to wear a big more on the inside edges...but only a bit...lots often means a car has been lowered with just springs...look at the ride height...
Look at the front strut towers...they can "mushroom" a bit eith 17 or 18's dur to potholes...fix is to bash them back, and add craven std or m7's equivelent...simple, but common...can have the STrut tower defenders added as a prevenitive measure...most cars with 16's never had issues...
Listen for odd noises...look for any leaking coolant stains...
look at the oil pan area....most tend ro weap...if it gets worse, the gasket will need a replacement. Foetunatly the oldest gen1 cars are 10 years old, so we have a great idea what is solid, and what is weak....but the 06 had all the best most improved parts...so that and being newer, and the nwer cars tened to be more consistant build quality wise....
It comes down to what the prior owners did....mods...maybe replacemnt parts, etc..
imo just to have a fair comparission, find a second gen1 car...so you can compare them both...good and bad...you might notice subtle differances....due to mods or mantance or option packages speced when new. By now it is likly safe to say you have read the motoring file gen1 buyers guide....links to it are posted in numerous links....

Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
nothingelsecomesclose
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Generaly if the car seems tidy, and well matained, the little things, and hopefuly any bigger things that have popped up have been fixed as they occured.
A test drive will tell you lots about the suspension...does it track stright, return to center, etc...smooth no shimmy...look at the tires....mini's tend to wear a big more on the inside edges...but only a bit...lots often means a car has been lowered with just springs...look at the ride height...
Look at the front strut towers...they can "mushroom" a bit eith 17 or 18's dur to potholes...fix is to bash them back, and add craven std or m7's equivelent...simple, but common...can have the STrut tower defenders added as a prevenitive measure...most cars with 16's never had issues...
look at the oil pan area....most tend ro weap...if it gets worse, the gasket will need a replacement. Foetunatly the oldest gen1 cars are 10 years old, so we have a great idea what is solid, and what is weak....but the 06 had all the best most improved parts...so that and being newer, and the nwer cars tened to be more consistant build quality wise....
It comes down to what the prior owners did....mods...maybe replacemnt parts, etc..
imo just to have a fair comparission, find a second gen1 car...so you can compare them both...good and bad...you might notice subtle differances....due to mods or mantance or option packages speced when new. By now it is likly safe to say you have read the motoring file gen1 buyers guide....links to it are posted in numerous links....
Drove it again today, longer 40 minute test drive, tracks very straight, very slight pull to the right after a while, smooth, return to center, felt very solid in the steering. No mushroomed towers, tires are 16s.
Car didnt sound weird at all, only noise that I was curious about was a VERY quiet ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the supercharger belt, the service guy at the dealer said it was normal and that it was the belt ticking. it did NOT sound as though there was anything severe wrong.
Nothing on the oil pan.

Any opinions???

Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
nothingelsecomesclose
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Took a 40 minute test drive today, heres what I found:
-the car tracks well, after a little bit it does tail off slightly to the right but not severely
-very smooth steering, linear, tight, responsive
-no mushroomed towers, i think b/c the tires are 16s
-no oil leaks so far as i could tell
-engine mounts look new...i hope they are
-when you push the clutch in, sometimes makes a squeak, thats just the cable i think ive driven other manuals that make a similar noise
-sounds: slight ticking (and i mean really not that noticeable) the service guy at the dealer said its a normal ticking that came from the supercharger belt turning over the axis...can anyone corroborate this?

Otherwise, no weird noises, nothing out of the ordinary. The car has no mods to it at all, someone just put a satellite radio aftermarket and ill likely rip that out and just put an ipod connector in.