General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions concerning oil and dipstick???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012 | 08:42 AM
Oreod
|
2nd Gear
Questions concerning oil and dipstick???

I know this issue has been beat to death, but humor me please. For the DIY guys.
  1. How much oil is recommended for refill after an oil change for the 2011 S models?
  2. How much oil is recommended for refill for the non s engines?
  3. Could the turbo lines be hiding undrainable oil?
Where am I going??? On the factory filled oil I could always read the level on the dipstick. It was hard to see, but always readable. After the last 2 dealer oil changes the level is unreadable because the level is too far up the dipstick (too much oil). The dealer swears they are refilling with the recommended amount. What I am beginning to think is the s engine is hiding oil somewhere when draining, possibly the turbo, which would make the refill amount an overfill in the amount the engine is hiding. Although this a poor design the only time I can't get an accurate reading is when the oil level is slightly high.

gary

Old 02-08-2012 | 12:56 PM
martinb
6th Gear
I would think that the owner's manual would have the oil amounts. If not, the service manual definately should. Pick one up. Also remember that these numbers are approximate. You should NEVER just look at a number and put in that much. Put in less, start the engine and let it run for a minute or so, shut if off, wait a half hour and then check the oil level and top off accordingly.

As for turbo oil lines, don't worry about it. There are plenty of nooks and crannies throughout the engine that will always hold some oil and be impossible to drain. Any oil in the turbo lines is insignificant.

Old 02-08-2012 | 01:18 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Replacing the oil and filter in our 2009 MCCm yesterday, I gave the shop 4 quarts of MINI oil and told them I would top it off at home. After the 6 miles' drive, the dipstick's "wet line" was about 3/4 of the way up the red material on the dipstick. I added .4 quart. This brought the oil to the top of the red material. My MINI manual does not specify an oil capacity; I found 4.4 quarts spec somewhere online, and it appears to be correct. I plan to follow the same procedure when I have the 2011 MCSm serviced.

Old 02-08-2012 | 01:31 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
My 07 says 4.4 qts also.
I've checked my oil cold and after engine is at temp. and both readings on my dipstick read the same, (up to the 2nd bulge).
For the fun of it I just changed my oil/filter and actually measured the amount of oil I extracted from the engine. I got 4.5 (fairly close) qts out of it. So, my conclusion is, the dipstick is reading correctly even though it is a bit hard to see but doable.
Also, it proves that the 4.4 qt on the N14 is correct.
Mine also did not use any oil within the mileage (6300) between the changes.
At least, I've got a comfort zone now.

Old 02-08-2012 | 01:31 PM
proximo
3rd Gear
I change our oil for all cars myself. Rule of thumb I follow since my first car is:
  • buy the number of quarts the manual says for the car
  • drain oil
  • change filter *
  • replace drain plug
  • fill oil with all but one quart
  • check level
  • run engine for 1 minute and let sit two
  • check level
  • fill to top it up (half to 3/4 quart)

* if you don't change your filter (some people don't every change), do all but two quarts. Filters take about a half to 3/4 quarts depending on size of filter.

Anything else, you're risking overfilling. I like the process from oldsbear. Guarantees station people don't overfill it.

Old 02-08-2012 | 10:43 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
After the oil & filter change let the car warm to operating temp, then turn off and let it sit for a few minutes.

Now check the oil level ...............................