General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Punch Leather vs. Lounge Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM
St_G
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to just get the vinyl, as a) Cloth is right out and b) I've read so few positive things about the leather MINI uses. If I'm unhappy with it over time, I'll just pay someone to do up the interior with the best leather I can afford.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Druaz
Neutral
Leather vs leatherette

My countryman came loaded with ever option as this was the show car for the dealership.
black lounge leather with white piping in a sport seat looks very sharp and is very pricey $2000.00 I think the price should be lower but once you drive in it you don't want to go back.
The other leather option is less and looks good and I think I would have chosen that seat until I bought this car.
If you don't have the money then buy what you think you really want or need first.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My lease return Clubman came with black lounge leather and it does look very nice. People that check out the car comment on how good the leather looks. I've only had the car for a couple of months but really like they way the seats feel. I test drove a few used MINIs with cloth seats and wasn’t all the impressed with the look or feel.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
Lounge Leather

I just bought my mini last weekend. I have to say I totally fell in love with the lounge leather after I saw it and could not not have it. It came in the toffee which looks really really classy and great contrast for the Ice Blue paint. The car also has the 17" infinite spoke. Between the Leather sport seats, wheels, sport package, premium package and the harmon kardon the car rode much smoother. I thought the seats were softer and conformed well. Yep, they are pricey but it comes down to what is important to you. After driving and going back and forth with the s and non s It came down to which one I just couldn't part with and those darn Toffee Lounge leather seats kept pulling me in. I think they look very sturdy and sharp. Much better than the leather on our other car. Spent more on the optioned up non s than I should have but it looks really sweet and drives great.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 AM
mini604
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Subzero
I have black lounge leather in an all black MINI with every black option...and I live in Texas.

Don't buy in to the "too hot" hype. Get what you want. The color of the car and type of seating is one of those myths that makes little real-world difference.

Saying that cloth has "better performance" and/or that it's preferable to lounge leather is one of the funnier things I've read on this forum. Man, if that's the case, I can't imagine how many horsepower those new Recaros must add!
The Myth that Black leather is hotter than a tan colored leather in summer is NOT A MYTH.. it is fact!.. I own three cars, One with Black leather, one with tan leather and one with cloth seats.
The truck 2013 tacoma with cloth seats is BY FAR the coolest when sitting in the seat from a hot florida day. BY FAR!!!!!

the light beige leather seat in my other car is VERY tolerable in the sun on a hot Florida day, though it is MUCH warmer than a cloth seat.

The BLACK leather seat in the mini is by far the MOST hot if left in the sun in the same scenario.. There is unequivocally no doubt that black leather is hotter than tan, and cloth is by far cooler that both. NO DOUBT... it is NOT a myth.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
I lucked out when I chose my MINI off the dealers lot. It had been a Mini USA Executive car and came with the black lounge leather upholstery with the white piping. LOVE the look. Also they are the sport seats, so i am held firmly in place on spirited runs.

Probably would not have ordered the leather seats as it was a pricey option, but very happy to have ended up with them, among many other great options.
This is exactly what happened with me when I bought my 2012 Countryman "brass hat" car in March. Since it was a MINI executive car, it also came with Carbon Black Lounge Leather, which is something I would never have considered (I wouldn't have paid the extra $2K if I was ordering a car). I absolutely love it, and find it to be very comfortable. it is not as soft as it looks, but it looks and smells great. I did add GoBadges "seat wraps" in Black Jack to the front seats, though, but not because I don't like the leather. I just wanted to add the Black Jack detail.

My 2010 R56 had the standard leatherette, which I did not find to be overly hot (I live in South Florida) or cheap feeling. It looked as good when I traded the car in as it did when I took delivery. My 2006 R50 had the Checkmate package. The seats were silver cloth in the middle with navy blue bolsters. They were gorgeous seats when the car was new, but the cloth showed dirt all the time, and when it got wet, it stained (even from just water). I also call BS on the "cloth is cooler" bit and that cloth holds you in place better. I have done plenty of spirited driving in cars with cloth, leather, and leatherette, and there is not a difference (to me). The only factor is the design of the seats. Maybe this was the case in the 1970s when cars still had bench seats, but not today.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
I have in toffee and bought it off the lot. I still love it and so does everyone tbat sees it. The pleats in the front and rear offer so much styling and I love the lumbar support. My sisters just bought bugs that only come with leatherette and they know it. Doesnt bother some but I am willing to pay for something that matters to me

Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
I will buy the lounge leather again. From the punch leather it wasn't as much of a jump as it was from leatherette or cloth

Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM
mini7096
2nd Gear
I have in toffee and bought it off the lot. I still love it and so does everyone tbat sees it. The pleats in the front and rear offer so much styling and I love the lumbar support. My sisters just bought bugs that only come with leatherette and they know it. Doesnt bother some but I am willing to pay for something that matters to me