General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else have a spouse who doesn't 'get' your MINI obsession?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have that problem either. My wife has the auto and I traded in my 09 for the JCW Coupe. She loves em both. Though I do think when she wears out her Mini she will trade it for a Toyota. I think she is getting to the age where she wants a quieter car. She realizes she will lose the fun factor but she still has another 3 years in this one. We'll trade it off at 100K or when the extended warranty ends.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1
Originally Posted by AustinS
Get the Roadster

Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Qball1963
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem here!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Notawagonwife
2nd Gear
Well my husband does not get the obsession and frankly never saw it coming when I wanted to drive the Dragon. He purchased a 2011 412 hp Mustang GT and loves his car. He was afraid of the safety of the Mini because of its size. He knew how long I have wanted a Mini and finally told me to go for it when ordering. Have to admit he was worried about the checkered flag accents which I really wanted.(My Dad used to drag race) He thought it would look like clown car and referred to my car as "Barnum" when I ordered. NOW he loves the car, loves the accents, and enjoys driving it. I told him since my Mini would be beat his off the mark and in the curves I wanted to add vinyl lettering across the back window."Yes you were just passed by a woman in her "clown car". ;-)

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My girlfriend has been pretty forgiving of my MINI obsession, although I do think all the money I spent on modding it was starting to get to her, and all the time spent researching upgrades made her a little jealous for my attention. She does like riding in it, although I'm often asked to slow down and stop "speeding up for the corners and braking for the straights."

That's how you avoid tickets, honey!

I've been shopping around other cars lately. I thought I was ready for something different. Drove 6 variations of GTI, Lancer, WRX. She said it made her sad that I was thinking of abandoning the MINI. I've decided to hang onto it and she's pleased.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Cactus Kid
1st Gear
My wife isn't a "car person"... I've been into motorcycles and VW's for years and she never gave a toss about those either, although she does *like* VW's. She thinks cars should just get you from A to B reliably. (I think that's if you have to drive, why not have a blast while doing so)

I haven't bought a MINI yet, still shopping for my next car which may or may not be a MINI. She thinks I'll get tired of the novelty of a MINI before too long.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
MCJoe
4th Gear
OK, so she finally rode in it last night, exactly a week after I got it. And only because the whole family had to go somewhere and the kids were begging to go in my car. Didn't really have anything nice to say. In fact, her first 2 comments were: #1 - "That key is stupid. What if you drop it and step on it or leave it in your pocket and it goes through the washing machine. How much will it cost to replace?" and #2 - "With the size of that speedometer, I better not see you getting any speeding tickets". I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life, so I think she was half-joking with this one. I won't be pressing her to go for any more rides, probably just use her Honda Odyssey as the family vehicle.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cactus Kid
My wife isn't a "car person"... I've been into motorcycles and VW's for years and she never gave a toss about those either, although she does *like* VW's. She thinks cars should just get you from A to B reliably. (I think that's if you have to drive, why not have a blast while doing so)

I haven't bought a MINI yet, still shopping for my next car which may or may not be a MINI. She thinks I'll get tired of the novelty of a MINI before too long.
My husband told me that I'd get tired of a MINI too.
It's been almost 3 years.
I like to play on the configurator, planning out my next MINI.
I love Little Wing and am not ready to part with her, not for a long time.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
So when does the obsession wear off or does it ever. I have been waiting for a long time to get a mini and got my Clubman S recently and I'm can not believe I'm going nuts over it. Or is it just first the novelty or mid life crisis...

Now I'm trying convince my wife to take a test drive a CM or Convertible.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
MCJoe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dozuki01
So when does the obsession wear off or does it ever. I have been waiting for a long time to get a mini and got my Clubman S recently and I'm can not believe I'm going nuts over it. Or is it just first the novelty or mid life crisis...

I'm not sure it ever goes away. I had an '03 hardtop for 4 years until we had a third child on the way and I knew I'd have to get rid of it. I missed it ever since, and now I've got the more family-friendly Countryman and am still obsessed. If only the Countryman had existed in 2007, I would have gotten one then instead of wasting 5 years in something else.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Notawagonwife
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCJoe
I won't be pressing her to go for any more rides, probably just use her Honda Odyssey as the family vehicle.

How could she not like your MINI. She owns a mini ..... van
Had a Honda Odyssey-thrilled to drop the VAN part hence the name
"not a wagon(van) wife". Enjoy driving without having to share!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Turbo79
2nd Gear
My wife has a Countryman for the doors for the kids/grandkids and loves the car.

I have the Coupe and am obsessed. She likes Mini's but does not get my obession at all. She just shakes her head and laughs at me when I talk about this meet or that gathering or doing MTTS. Hopefully someday she will learn

Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
solid14th
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dozuki01

Hasn't worn off yet for me. Have had my 06 MC for four years and planning on ordering my next one this month .

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Notawagonwife
How could she not like your MINI. She owns a mini ..... van
Had a Honda Odyssey-thrilled to drop the VAN part hence the name
"not a wagon(van) wife". Enjoy driving without having to share!
I turned in my 12 year old Mercury Villager minivan, my soccer mom car, and replaced it with Little Wing. Kids were nearly grown and had long since given up sports, scouting, etc. Total geeks those two.
It was a defining, statement making moment of my life!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
My wife has wanted one since she first laid eyes on one. I was skeptical. Then she convinced me to drive one. Yikes I love em. We got her an 07 convertable with 28k miles. One owner, military person had bought in Germany and brought home. Manual 5 speed, an absolute joy to drive. When I was younger I had corvettes, mustangs and other muscle cars. For 30 years I thought I had outgrown this car thing. Wrong I'm hooked and looking hard for a deal like we got for her.we had been searching for a couple years for a mutual interest to share and this is it!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rgoodwin
My wife has wanted one since she first laid eyes on one. I was skeptical. Then she convinced me to drive one. Yikes I love em. We got her an 07 convertable with 28k miles. One owner, military person had bought in Germany and brought home. Manual 5 speed, an absolute joy to drive. When I was younger I had corvettes, mustangs and other muscle cars. For 30 years I thought I had outgrown this car thing. Wrong I'm hooked and looking hard for a deal like we got for her.we had been searching for a couple years for a mutual interest to share and this is it!
Awesome! while my husband supports my obsession, we don't share it glad at least he doesnt oppose it

Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KMPSSBL
I don't have that problem. I have always been into cars, so when I met my husband 4 years ago, it was just meant to be And when he got his MINI, I hopped in it to learn how to drive it and I was HOOKED. Now I have one. He likes to tell people that I stole his car so many times, that we just got me one lol! My parents understand my obsession, mainly since they've driven the car(s), as well as my brother. But my 3 older sisters? PSHHH!! They could care less. Just the other day, they were ragging on me about my sticker "My other car is a MINI" cuz they couldn't grasp the fact that other MINI drivers would appreciate it. Although they did like the "WHEE!" sticker Anyway, it's impossible to talk about my car, much less ANY car with them. They don't even know how how a manual transmission works *rolls eyes* sigh*

Love to see the pair of first generation R50's in the garage! I only wish my garage was as clean. Love your white roof and no sunroof combo along with the chrome bumper inserts.

Here's our pair of R50's at the All British Field Meet last year. When I first got my '02 BRG/W my wife viewed it as a nice alternative to my previous POS, a tired '84 Renault. Up for going to Las Vegas for any reason, it was on our drive down from Seattle to AMVIV 6 that she began to appreciate the MINI and it's driving and handling qualities. Seeing the beautiful Silk Green "Hello Kitty" car there inspired her search for one of her own. She loved her '02 Corolla, but it became financially advantageous for us to sell it for cash and finance a used MINI for her, so that's what happened. She even flew to California with our son to do the deal herself and drive it back.

Plus she is active with me in our local club, planning events and enjoying the fun of motoring with other MINI owners. A close couple to begin with, MINI ownership has brought us even closer, plus our 7 year old son loves our cars!

I'll say that a spouse doesn't have to be on board with your MINI obsession, but it's great when they are!

Val

Last edited by valvashon; 06-15-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Re-phrased a sentence