General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 02:59 PM
mrluckypa
|
5th Gear
HK Radio Issue

Hi All,

I have been experiencing the following problem on my CM with the Harmon Kardon radio. I understand that it is not isolated to CM.

. I have the HK Radio upgrade and every once in awhile, I lose my radio settings. Satellite radio defaults to channel 1 and I can't change it unless I stop the car and then switch fobs and then put the first fob back in and then it's ok. I understand that other people are experiencing this as well. If you haven't done so already, you need to let your service advisor know. This will get the problem resolved quicker.

Thanks,

Old 06-13-2012 | 06:14 PM
MCJoe
4th Gear
I lost all my satellite radio settings on the third day of ownership (I've only had the car for 9 days at this point). It happened on a day that I went out to the car and all 4 windows were down all the way. I assumed I must have put pressure on the fob in my pocket and caused the windows to go down, and that maybe the radio settings were somehow related. It hasn't happened again since, but if it does I will consider it a problem.

Old 06-15-2012 | 08:08 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCJoe
I lost all my satellite radio settings on the third day of ownership (I've only had the car for 9 days at this point). It happened on a day that I went out to the car and all 4 windows were down all the way. I assumed I must have put pressure on the fob in my pocket and caused the windows to go down, and that maybe the radio settings were somehow related. It hasn't happened again since, but if it does I will consider it a problem.
Stupid question, but are you sure you're using the same fob you were originally using? Radio settings are stored in each fob (along with some other settings) so each driver can have their own.

I end up popping the rear door more often than venting the windows and such, but both have happened to me. Fortunately I park in the garage so there's been relatively little damage as a result. Wish there was a way to turn the window/vent functionality off and/or disable the boot release button on the fob.

Old 06-15-2012 | 08:24 AM
mrluckypa
|
5th Gear
I am positive that I am using the same fob. My wife has her fob in her bag so it's not the fob settings. It has to be something else. MINI will get the answer if enough people who are experiencing this lodge their complaint.

Old 06-15-2012 | 09:52 AM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
I am positive that I am using the same fob. My wife has her fob in her bag so it's not the fob settings. It has to be something else. MINI will get the answer if enough people who are experiencing this lodge their complaint.
I was actually referring to MCJoe (since it sounds like you've experienced it a number of times over a longer period than he did)...

Though out of curiosity have you experienced this with both fobs or just one? If you're primarily using just the one and having the problem with it you might try using the other for awhile and seeing if you get the same thing - problem could be with that particular fob rather than something with the car / stereo / computer. If so I'd think it would be fairly easy to get MINI to replace the fob.

When it occurs can you stop / start the car with the same fob (not switching to fix the problem as described) and still exhibit the problem? If so I can't imagine the dealer not fixing it if you're able to demonstrate the problem to them (if they did I'd find a different dealer and/or contact MINI USA)... I can imagine it would be troublesome to get them to fix it if you can't duplicate the problem for them to see.

Regardless, sounds like a troublesome problem to have. Best of luck!

Old 06-15-2012 | 01:29 PM
mrluckypa
|
5th Gear
It's too hard to tell. It just seems to happen once in a while and with the main fob. If it happens and I can cut the car off and take the key out and put it back in, the radio is reset. It never seems to happen when I am near a MINI dealer and when they are open. When Betty was in, nothing showed up on the computer as a problem. So it is a tough one. All I want is for it to happen when I am near any MINI dealer. I think they need to see this to believe it. My service rep stated that MINI won't allow them to replace the fob without any justification and permission from MINI.